Any unknown mechanic to share?

4 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

tl;dr on staying warm would be that a maxed thermal stone will keep you warm for about 4 minutes if you warmed it at a fire pit or scaled furnace, or 8 minutes if you warmed it from something hotter like multiple firepits, multiple scaled furnaces, burning trees, or magma pools. Each high tier piece of clothing adds about 10 minutes if you heat yourself up to the max before leaving, while Wes/Willow will remove about a minute and Wilson's full beard and medium clothes add about 5. I didn't do math on the small clothes because medium clothes are already not particularly good.

This is some really nice information, I appreciate it a lot!

• Like 1

Howdy :love_heart:

Sorry in advance if these are re-posted.

-----------------------------------------------------

If you want to get rid of Bearger easily just drop any kind of food close or just under him.

1.gif.be39e282003167ee548b66550bb928ed.gif

If you want to get rid of dead weeds, just use a torch instead of a shovel.

2.gif.b866e2bc113c8f1b222bd12addcc55a5.gif

This one for console players only: If you play Wurt, you know how tedious to feed the king, so the easy way is to use the lock-on(L3) on him so you can easily keep feeding him.

6.gif.8f6b0a5d264f3020425ca1686477b10d.gif

Edited by Mj-
L3 not R3 :[
  • Like 10

3 minutes ago, Mj- said:

If you want to get rid of Bearger easily just drop any kind of food close or just under him.

And then you remember you have jellybeans on you :wilson_resigned:

Bearger will agro you and won’t lose agro if you’re holding jellybeans, but won’t actually eat them...

You have to first drop the jellybeans on the ground, ideally lead bearger a bit away, give her a delicious rot, then go pick up your jellybeans and leave.

• Hunger 1

1 minute ago, Friendly Grass said:

Bearger will agro you and won’t lose agro if you’re holding jellybeans, but won’t actually eat them...

You have to first drop the jellybeans on the ground, ideally lead bearger a bit away, give her a delicious rot, then go pick up your jellybeans and leave.

The other day I was confused thinking they updated Bearger's AI to make him super aggressive, but the next day he was behaving as normal and I had no idea why. I had no idea he hates jellybeans so much.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

The other day I was confused thinking they updated Bearger's AI to make him super aggressive, but the next day he was behaving as normal and I had no idea why. I had no idea he hates jellybeans so much.

It's not just Jellybeans. It's any food that is made with honey or royal jelly.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Friendly Grass said:

This is strange! For me I have been doing this for ages now, she never re-agro or tries to chase me after I gave her food! She even didn't try to chase me when I'm holding food!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mj- said:

This is strange! For me I have been doing this for ages now, she never re-agro or tries to chase me after I gave her food! She even didn't try to chase me when I'm holding food!

Looking at the code and testing in-game, it looks like they'll agro onto you if they haven't eaten anything after 30 seconds, and you have a honey item on you. But you say you've been doing it for ages so I assume you've tried longer than atleast 30 seconds... I wonder if this behavior of bearger is a bit bugged in some cases then :beguiled:

Probably not unknown, but shadow creatures spawned from a nightmare fissure or a nightmare light are more opaque than normal shadow creatures spawned in from having low sanity.

--------------------------------------------------------------

example1.thumb.PNG.222c8184ed8de8c9a2dfdcdf2addd601.PNG

Insanity crawling horror and a nightmare light Nigtmarebeak.

ex2.PNG.3e7a9d1fcbb7d19f8854da843fc1bc31.PNG

An insanity terrorbeak.

example3.PNG.189cf8b96f2acb4a784fe6bc15cffc61.PNG

A nightmare light crawling nightmare (left,) nightmarebeak, and an insanity crawling horror.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Little thing I just found with the help of some friends: A Cookie Cutter normally only targets boats within 12 units (walls) of itself, but it also shares that target with any other Cookie Cutters in a 5 units radius of itself whenever it first spots the boat. This is why Cookie Cutters seem to come at you in groups so frequently, even if some in the group feel like they're too far away to even notice you.

Edited by Sunset Skye
  • Like 9

Water Balloons DON'T make mobs wet. The balloon is a lie.

The only mobs that actually do get wet with Water Balloons are players and Dragonfly. Electrical damage that's being dealt (at least for Dfly) is also scaled based on how wet they become instead of the full electrical boost (ex. 50% wet means only 50% of the full electric damage boost with a Morning Star and probably Jelly).

The way to tell if something is wet is if they have a blue text when you hove your mouse over them. Alternatively, if you see puddles on the ground, the mob is still wet.

This is because mobs are only wet when the environment is wet (it's like an on/off switch).

This also applies to all ocean mobs. The only exceptions are Rockjaws and hounds when they are on the water (they are dry on your boat, wet in the water).

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2021 at 8:50 PM, frankwizza said:

An alternative way of cooling your thermal stone that I don't see many people use.

Just adding on to this, each snowball (and watering can usage!) instantly cools nearby thermals by 5 degrees, completely bypassing the normal 1 degree per second cooling for cooling sources, and it can cool thermals to their minimum temperature even in the hottest of summers. You can cool thermal stones from 90 degrees to -20 in just a few seconds. Also, ice boxes only cool thermal stones to 0 degrees, and even a polar light just cools to ~0 in summer as well.

Sorry for the terrible quality and such

Still not game breaking or anything, but I think it's really cool.

Edited by Friendly Grass
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, lakhnish said:

The only exceptions are Rockjaws and hounds when they are on the water (they are dry on your boat, wet in the water).

Depths worms are always wet. They even tattle on themselves by having the glow berry be wet when the real ones are dry.

On 5/4/2021 at 1:13 AM, Tykvesh said:

Bee Queen doesn't give a damn if anything but player hits her hive.

404076587_GIF04-May-2109-01-08.gif.cf1b97f09a5f54eb88e79c1113c77519.gif

She knows to stay indoors during tornado warnings.

Edited by Cheggf
  • Haha 15

I'm not sure if it's common knowledge or not, but it wasn't in this thread, so - if you need to move heavy objects, such as a suspicious marble, sculpture, etc., it's not necessary to get off the beefalo, click on it, and slowly walk towards the beefalo again, while the animal may run away from you. Just sit in the saddle and, while riding, click on the object that you want to move - the character will get off the beefalo, pick it up and climb back into the saddle automatically and instantly. I found out about it by accident, misclicked, and if I had known earlier, it would have made my life a lot easier. This is especially useful for those who like to decorate the base.

• Like 5

Some more mechanics I've found, but haven't found in this thread:

1. Festive Lights make Hutch glow forever.
The transformations will work too. If you have a festive light to spare, try it out! Much better than using lightbulbs.
So you can put in:

Light Bulb (6 Days)
Bulbous Lightbug (min 2 Days, +6 Days after death)
Lesser Glow Berry (10 Days)
Glow Berry (10 Days)
Festive Light (∞ Days)

Another thing the Wiki doesn't tell you: You don't necessarily need a Spear or Battle Spear for Fugu Hutch.
You can use:
Glass Cutter (75 Uses)
Strident Trident (150 Uses)
Spear (150 Uses)
Battle Spear (200 Uses)

However, since the damage output stays at a constant 30 per Use, it'd be dumb to use anything but (Battle) Spears for Fugu Hutch. 
I would love the Glass Cutter-Fugu Hutch to deal 60 Damage per hit though. Until then, watch out if you're transporting Glass Cutters inside Hutch; They might break.

Hutch.png.e98388dd6a0d8a082b7bda74cae7919b.png

2. Pets glow if you feed them Glow Berries or Glow Berry Mousse. 

Although I can see this information being astonishingly useless (except for Wigfrid before getting Moggles and after getting a pet for whatever reason), it's fun to know!

GlowPet.png.e2f779bcff328294b5708aec435f59d9.png

3. Player-centered light sources stack.

If you want to increase your light-radius while using your Mining Helmet or Glow Berry Mousse, just equip more items at once! If you got a surplus of Glow Berry Mousse, just feed them to separately stacked bees inside your inventory and you'll glow like Christmas! Go wild, it's fun!

Bees.thumb.png.09695410442a492e9f8f50d4067adc80.png

Spoiler

InventoryLight1.thumb.png.6c3f822c847525e0b1cf561aa7f9b9f9.png (one glowing bee)InventoryLight2.thumb.png.fa696f67b07f4c1afe8ba54aa0b7a864.png (several glowing bees)

4. Ancient Sentrypedes take only two hits to be frozen.

In my experience, using Ice Staffs is a great way to deal with Sentrypedes while raiding the Archive (especially playing solo)!
Freeze them with two hits each time you pass them in the corridors and they won't ever be a nuisance. 
If you need to stay close to Sentrypedes for a prolonged time (for example solving the Orchestrina), hit them right before they start to wriggle. It prolongs the freeze time and effectively doubles your Ice Staff durability. 

Since Ice Staffs only use up 1 Sanity per shot and Blue Gems stack up quickly, you can keep those little buggers frozen for days on end.
It's especially great for solo players who don't want to use the void-pushing-glitch but don't want to stress themselves and use up weapons each time they visit the Archive.

PS: Amusingly, turns out that freezing the Sentrypedes makes the void-pushing-glitch a peace of cake. They can't do nothing at all and you can push 'em around as easy as rabbits. 

Whatever you do, Ice Staffs are perfect for the Archives.

SentrypedeFreeze.png.5848ed1dc8e97b60aec9213a55df2e93.png

Hope it helps some of you!
Cheers!

• Like 19
  • GL Happy 2

11 hours ago, Tim S. said:

3. Player-centered light sources stack.

I love this one, it works for thermals too. Try filling up your krampus sack and inventory with pond/multiple furnace heated thermal stones. You'll glow like the sun :D

Festive light hutch is awesome, I imagine a crown shard should work as well for that.

• Haha 1
  • Happy Hazard 2

32 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Burning all available cacti on both deserts before day 56 on a vanilla world prevents any moonstorm from happening.

So if you're scared of moonstorms, just burn all cacti and you'll be fine.

I don't think this thread is for griefing

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Big Ups 1

Regular bees actually have a 50% higher dps than killer bees. That’s because killer bees try to “kite” the target and attack every 3 seconds instead of every 2.

So regular bees have a dps of 5 while killer just have a dps of 3.33.

Also, bee mines release regular bees that are aggressive to the target, not killer bees! So 1 bee mine is equivalent dps to 6 killer bees.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2