Any unknown mechanic to share?

34 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

The idea of risking your life for a good reward makes a lot of sense with say, a raid boss, or a varg or spider queen. You put yourself into a dangerous situation, overcome the challenge, and get rewarded for that.

Are those all not categories the Rockjaw falls under?  

34 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Rockjaws are an active threat, though, like hound attacks. The reward is defending yourself, and... being alive. Also 4 fish meat, if you absolutely want to kill them.

However it does not even fullfil this roll successfully either. A threat that both has no good rewards and is bound to leave you alone eventually, can be regarded as a nuisance. 

I would like to point out also that gnarwails have an incredibly similar mechanic of losing interest once they lose their horn, and having to be actively lured back to kill them for 4 fish meat. Maybe it's less noticeable there because gnarwails drop a horn, but it does seem to be a theme of some ocean mobs to have a "leave" condition like this.

Yes, they share a behavior but that is where the similarities end. Every other mob in the ocean has incentive that may drive a player to interact with it. The gnarwail's horn will allow you to craft the trident, which in turn allows one to relocate kelp. Cookie cutters protect salt formations and generally easy to deal with if you need emergency food. Sea weeds have a weakness players can exploit in order to obtain their loot without even fighting.

As you can see, interactions can come in all sorts. The interaction one may want to have with the Rockjaw is generally not to have one at all. 

My perspective is that it would be a waste not give it loot when there are so many cool things that can come exclusively from this mob. It is a missed opportunity in my opinion. 

Fins (hat), shark teeth (crown,necklace), barnacles (armor/food), shark skin(clothing/armor), shark eyes (spyglass), etc...

• Like 3

Agree, for a mob that has arguably one of the best designs in terms of visual, the drops are extremely underwhelming. Catching 4 eels is way easier, faster and safer than getting 4 fish meats from it. Even though Varg's loot also somewhat sucks, the ability to summon hounds makes it a worthwhile mob to farm. Ewecus sucks but at least its' drops can be useful for Beefalo tamers. But Rockjaws? You just want to sail away from them as they are nothing but nuisance.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

Rockjaws are an active threat, though, like hound attacks. The reward is defending yourself, and... being alive

Hounds give life giving amulets, ice staves, fire staves, chilled amulets, character changes, salt boxes, blow darts, sewing kits, tooth traps, dapper vests (and the hibearnation vest), The End is Nighs, shadow manipulators, bat bats, two Walter ammunitions, telelocator staves & focuses, nightmare amulets, and the premier gardeneer hat.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Hounds give life giving amulets, ice staves, fire staves, chilled amulets, character changes, salt boxes, blow darts, sewing kits, tooth traps, dapper vests (and the hibearnation vest), The End is Nighs, shadow manipulators, bat bats, two Walter ammunitions, telelocator staves & focuses, nightmare amulets, and the premier gardeneer hat.

If we're doing long lists of every possible use for a mob's drop, then rockjaws give surf n turf, fish sticks, fish tacos, jerky, saddlehorns, rain hats, eyebrellas, rain coats, buckets of poop, bone bullion, tackle receptacles, sandy turf, booster shots, mushroom planters, marsh turf, and compost bins. This isn't an ultimate own against my argument, because most every mob drops items with many uses. My point with the comparison is that rockjaws are meant as a threat that seeks you out, rather than a dangerous situation you put yourself into intentionally to get rewards from.

Edited by Sunset Skye
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

If we're doing long lists of every possible use for a mob's drop, then rockjaws give surf n turf, fish sticks, fish tacos, jerky, saddlehorns, rain hats, eyebrellas, rain coats, buckets of poop, bone bullion, tackle receptacles, sandy turf, booster shots, mushroom planters, marsh turf, and compost bins. This isn't an ultimate own against my argument, because most every mob drops items with many uses. My point with the comparison is that rockjaws are meant as a threat that seeks you out, rather than a dangerous situation you put yourself into intentionally to get rewards from.

Okay so let me just list every single crock pot dish that uses either meat or eggs in it because hounds also give monster meat. Food isn't a good drop, dude. Especially from a rockjaw and especially only four of it, that's probably one of the worst ways to get food in the game.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

if you absolutely want to kill them

I rather not waste weapon durability  and time in a mob that is programmed to leave and can get buggy because his ia messy

I get that he is made to put you in risk (and eat your fishes like if there were specific shoals everywere) but is weird to have a mob that isnt worth to be fought, not because his loot, but because he leaves you alone

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 8:54 AM, RoughCactus69 said:

One second on the clock. Like counting 1 second. So 60 insulation points is 1 minute of protection.

Sincerely,

Cactus

Extremely late to reply to this but that's not how insulation works, One insulation point is not equal to one second of protection.
Here's an equation you can use(This is pretty much the same equation the code in the game uses! So you can trust it)

--Replace StartingTemp with well, your starting temperature!
--Replace winterInsulation with how much winter insulation you have
--Replace seconds with well, amount of seconds you wanna pass

StartingTemp + (-30 / (30 + winterInsulation)) * seconds

The ending result will be the temperature you have left after the amount of seconds you put in the equation with the insulation value you have.

Lets say StartingTemp is 40, and our winterinsulation is 120, and put in 200 seconds.

image.png.ab9ab7ae995eea5c716e8486ec43f29e.png

It'll take exactly 200 seconds to go down to 0 degrees and thus start freezing.

Just curious, where did you hear insulation value is equivalent to seconds of protection? It seems to be a well spread myth so i'm curious where it might have started.

Edited by Hornete
  • Like 6

41 minutes ago, Hornete said:

--Replace StartingTemp with well, your starting temperature!
--Replace winterInsulation with how much winter insulation you have
--Replace seconds with well, amount of seconds you wanna pass

StartingTemp + (-30 / (30 + winterInsulation)) * seconds

Wouldn't most players be more concerned with discovering how much time it takes to get to a specific temperature?  So I think the better version of this formula would be:

Time = (EndingTemp - StartingTemp) / (-30/(30 + winterInsulation))

ie. (0 - 40) / (-30 / (30 + 120)) = 200 seconds

Also curious, is it the same formula for summerInsulation?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sanity 1

1 minute ago, 1moregame said:

Wouldn't most players be more concerned with discovering how much time it takes to get to a specific temperature?  So I think the better version of this formula would be:

Time = (EndingTemp - StartingTemp) / (-30/(30 + winterInsulation))

ie. (0 - 40) / (-30 / (30 + 120)) = 200 seconds

Also curious, is it the same formula for summerInsulation?  

Yeah that formula is a lot better, I did wanna come up with something like that but I'm not too great with math, thanks for it : ).

It's pretty much the same formula for summerInsulation! Only difference is the first negative 30 would be a positive value, so this would be the formula.

Time = (EndingTemp - StartingTemp) / (30/(30 + summerInsulation)) --nearly identical to the winterInsulation formula, but with the negative 30 as a positive 30

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hornete said:

Time = (EndingTemp - StartingTemp) / (30/(30 + summerInsulation)) --nearly identical to the winterInsulation formula, but with the negative 30 as a positive 30

So in winter, if you heat up to 60 and have a beefalo hat on you can go a full 9 minutes before freezing.  Summer would be the same if you can reliably get down to 10 degrees with the eyebrella you would have 9 minutes before needing additional cooling. 

• Big Ups 1

Some mechanics I've found, but haven't found jn this thread:

1. Each Nightmare light in the ruins (at least the ones near the repaired APS) spawn at most 2 Shadow Creatures per cycle.

So if you kill eight of 'em during the Nightmare Phase, this spot is safe for the next 10 minutes. Since these Shadows have an aggro-range, you can even take them out one by one without problems.

So for 10 minutes, you can put on your Bee Queen Crown and revel in the 300-450 sanity/min aura each light provides. 
Surprisingly it's an excellent spot to take a break, replenish your sanity and duplicate Thulecite without sanity-loss.

1032101199_Screenshot(409).thumb.png.fbd61844f4b8082324e81606c3093b38.png

2. You can telelocate Nightmare Creatures.

If you have too many purple gems lying around and just can't be bothered to fight Nightmare Creatures anymore, just telepoof them away. You'll be safe for around 4 seconds to 2 minutes until the next one comes around.

1720518961_Screenshot(402).png.3f7483a8f262b321fc8ba3b297e11819.png

3. Lava Pools are way hotter than Fire Pits or Scaled Furnaces (duh).

Lava Pools have a great heat range and are excellent for effortlessly surviving the first winter. 
Roaring Fire Pits, Scaled Furnaces and open fires heat up Thermal Stones to 45°C.
Lava Pools heat up Thermal Stones to 90°C. Not only do 90°C TS glow significantly brighter, they keep you warm twice as long and surprisingly still don't overheat you.

So if you base near the Dragonfly desert, don't even bother using Fire Pits to heat your TS. 
Also, the 90°C range is huge! Every TS between the inner row and the Lava Pool will reach 90°C. You can even put some stone walls in between if you want to. Basing near them has been great for me. I couldn't even be bothered to use a Miner Helmet most nights anymore, since the light-radius is sufficiently large and each Stone lasts the whole night anyways.

That one guy in this thread who suggested packing up Thermal Stones in Bundling Wrap, needs to know this.

Just make sure not to pick Lava Pools too close to the Dragonfly lmao.

500805821_Screenshot(404).png.bd395f4fc4c5c9049651eb8ad23fbf38.png

1338268321_Screenshot(403).png.89dfb911a9e41be1b56046e6a604e751.png  (90°C on the left, pathetic 45°C on the right)

4. If Varg-spawned Hounds unload, it won't spawn more Hounds.

Most likely widely known, but good to mention and very useful nonetheless.

So if you manage to seperate a Varg from its Hounds (for example using a wall of statues for the Doggos to get stuck upon), the Varg won't spawn any more Hounds, no matter where you take him. As long as the Hounds are alive, his spawn-cap is reached. If they are unloaded however, they can never reach him.

THIS MEANS IF YOU TELELOCATE HIS DOGS, HE CAN'T SUMMON MORE DOGS!

Let's say you want a pet for your base, just use the Telelocator staff on his Hounds and he's (relatively) harmless.
It's the same as building a cage for his Hounds, just for lazy people.

Even if you want to get rid of a Varg, but hate fighting him because of his Hounds, just telelocate him or his Dogs and he's easy to crush.

When I'm playing any character other than Winona, or I'm too lazy to build a sophisticated Varg-Farm yet and just want some early-game Gems and Monster Meat, I just telelocate all but one Hound, cage in the Varg, and easily take out the spawning Hounds one by one without losing HP 0r armor. 

Remember that you will find random Hounds scattered around the world, trying to get back to him. If they reach him without unloading, his spawn-cap will increase again.

1865996427_Screenshot(400).png.adbbcb9e401d2721d213c3768a63933a.png

Best wishes ;*

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

9 hours ago, 1moregame said:

So in winter, if you heat up to 60 and have a beefalo hat on you can go a full 9 minutes before freezing.

In winter you can reliably get to 70 degrees with double firepit, double scaled furnace, or setting things on fire. That lets you go about 10 minutes with 1 high tier piece of clothing on and about 20 minutes with 2 high tier pieces of clothing on. Wilson can go about 25 minutes. That's a lot more than the (I believe) 4-8 minutes that thermal stones last, so maybe that weird 1 point = 1 second thing is why people think thermal stones are so overpowered. It'd take both pieces of clothing on just to get about the same result as the thermal stone.

9 hours ago, 1moregame said:

Summer would be the same if you can reliably get down to 10 degrees with the eyebrella you would have 9 minutes before needing additional cooling. 

You don't need to cool yourself down to a really low number in summer because it's very easy to cool yourself down on the fly. Just wear one piece of clothing, such as the eyebrella or floral shirt, and then every time you're about to start overheating either swap to the chilled amulet for a few seconds or use a luxury fan. Either one will easily last you at least one summer if not multiple, you never need a thermal stone or endo fires or anything.

5 hours ago, Tim S. said:

Each Nightmare light in the ruins (at least the ones near the repaired APS) spawn at most 2 Shadow Creatures per cycle.

So if you kill eight of 'em during the Nightmare Phase, this spot is safe for the next 10 minutes. Since these Shadows have an aggro-range, you can even take them out one by one without problems.

So for 10 minutes, you can put on your Bee Queen Crown and revel in the 300-450 sanity/min aura each light provides. 
Surprisingly it's an excellent spot to take a break, replenish your sanity and duplicate Thulecite without sanity-loss.

That's extremely useful information, thank you. I've always thought they would spawn infinite of them and as such just kind of wasted time not doing much waiting for it to be safe to craft.

4 hours ago, Tykvesh said:

This is probably a dupe, but...

Burrows have 50 inventory slots, so Moleworms can be used to create secret stashes of up to:

• 1000 Gold Nuggets
  • 2000 Trinkets, or other minerals
  • 3000 Slingshot Ammo

Good for turf storage, too.

Edited by Cheggf
  • Like 7

23 hours ago, Hornete said:

Just curious, where did you hear insulation value is equivalent to seconds of protection? It seems to be a well spread myth so i'm curious where it might have started.

I got it from the temperature counter itself. The temperature point went down once per second, although there could be roughly alot of variables that could go into it. 

When I sit by a fire after freezing, I count up by seconds, knowing how much time I have left until I freeze. 

Sincerely,

Cactus

Believe it or not, I've read through this entire thread. Some of the things I've read are false, or have been patched, but the majority of it is true. Some only apply to regular Don't Starve, and some only apply if certain server-side mods are enabled.

Here's another one that I just thought about that I haven't read yet:

Leave any meat / raw meat / morsel / drumstick on the ground in a vulture area as bait, wait til a vulture flies down, and then smack and kill vulture for more meat. A good food source tip.

Oh another one:

Place an ocuvigil on a boat, and let it float away with a few paddles, then quickly come back to shore. The boat will travel slowly, endlessly, into the ocean, exploring it for you. And no, the waterfalls at the edge of the ocean don't sink boats, they are actually walls, and your boat will rebound off of it.

Also 4 gunpowder or 15 slurtle slime can take down a Big Tentacle, first (1) light the stuff near the tentacle and (2) attack the Big Tentacle once (sometimes it doesn't work if you don't aggro the tentacle first). This was posted once on here before, but not too in-depth. Also Moleworms will ignite Gunpowder if they touch it (also posted before). Also feeding Snurtles/Slurtles your gigantic hoards of flint for Slurtle Slime is great, just put the flint on the ground next to the Slurtle Mound. There are other ways to take down Big Tentacles, but Gunpowder is the least headachey way for me. So, with this info, please don't voidwalk to atrium anymore, thanks. :) 

Also releasing Bulbous Lightbugs at where you're basing in the caves will give you inifinite light. To make sure they don't die to earthquakes, just run away to another area when an earthquake is about to start, and the rocks won't hit and kill your precious Lightbugs.

• Like 7

instead of using grass and twigs, you can use the beefalo bell to lure one beefalo away  from the herd. simply bond one beefalo, go away as far as you can and kill it.

Know those chess setpiece where there are 2 rooks and lots of knights with a giant M in the middle made of dark flowers? Once you've cleared it you'll not only have gears, you'll also have a mediocre sanity station. If you wear a bee queen crown in the middle of the dark flowers, it'll restore your sanity fast but not as fast as the  abigail flower sanity station or ice cream/jelly salads.

• Like 9

On 4/26/2021 at 8:59 AM, Hornete said:

A bit off topic, but I might have found where people are getting the idea. Wilson's page on the wiki incorrectly states his beard's insulation value adds that many seconds.

Also a bit off topic (debatably?), here's the exact times it takes to freeze if you overheat yourself before leaving. Was curious exactly how Wes compared and decided to add Wilson in too. That's why I was on his page, I forgot exactly how much his beard adds because it has a weird unique insulation value.

120 insulation: 4:40 as Wes/Willow, 5:50 as most, 11:05 as Wilson.

240 insulation: 9:20 as Wes/Willow, 10:30 as most, 15:45 as Wilson.

360 insulation: 14:00 as Wes/Willow, 15:10 as most, 20:25 as Wilson.

480 insulation: 18:40 as Wes/Willow, 19:50 as most, 25:05 as Wilson.

So Wes & Willow subtract about one minute while Wilson adds about five. The minute lost isn't that much when compared to the base times of about 10 to 20 minutes.

If we trust the wiki despite the fact that it just lied about Wilson's beard, and we trust the recent post saying thermal stones reach 45 degrees from a fire pit and 90 degrees from a magma pit, then that would put thermal stones at 3:45 to 7:30 depending on how warm you got them, which matches up with my previous post saying about 4-8 minutes so it sounds right to me.

So thermal stones have the benefits of not taking equip slots & being easy to make, while clothing has the benefit of lasting a lot longer before you need to warm up. You could say that thermal stones also have the benefit of being able to burn a tree to warm it up as you do something nearby like... Idunno, pick grass or something, but with thermal stones needing to reheat 40-233% more often than clothing I think potentially spending those couple seconds warming up slightly more productively isn't much of a benefit.

tl;dr on staying warm would be that a maxed thermal stone will keep you warm for about 4 minutes if you warmed it at a fire pit or scaled furnace, or 8 minutes if you warmed it from something hotter like multiple firepits, multiple scaled furnaces, burning trees, or magma pools. Each high tier piece of clothing adds about 10 minutes if you heat yourself up to the max before leaving, while Wes/Willow will remove about a minute and Wilson's full beard and medium clothes add about 5. I didn't do math on the small clothes because medium clothes are already not particularly good.

• Like 4
  • Big Ups 3