Any unknown mechanic to share?

On 2/1/2021 at 4:40 PM, RoughCactus69 said:

I'm convinced this needs to be closed. It's just people repeating the same thing that's already been said.

But hey, how am I to say? 

LET THE FORUM LIVE!!!!!

Sincerely,

Cactus

i havent seen anyone repeating anything in my browsing so far. Are things being deleted? You might be being a bit pedantic, im loving all this new non-repeated info

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The "Unknown Mechanic" is beyond the spoiler

BUT! If you are curious I typed up a nice little thingy about insulation if you wanna read about it. I learned stuff while researching it. For instance, I thought Cat Cap, and Winter Hat provided the same insulation...... NOPE!

Spoiler

WINTER CLOTHING:

Tier 1:

I know Cat Cap, Rabbit Earmuffs, Breezy Vest, and Dapper Vest are tier 1 (60 insulation),

Tier 2:

Tam o' Shanter, and Winter cap are tier 2 (120 insulation) 

Tier 3:

Beefalo Hat, Hibernation Vest, and Puffy Vest are tier 3 (240 insulation)

So the Beard is just slightly off of the tier list of Insulation.

WILSON'S BEARD:

Stage 1 Of Beard Growth:

15 Insulation

Stage 2 Of Beard Growth: 

45 Insulation

Stage 3 Of Beard Growth:

135 Insulation

WEBBER'S BEARD:

Stage 1 Of Beard Growth:

11.25 Insulation

Stage 2 Of Beard Growth:

33.75 Insulation

Stage 3 Of Beard Growth:

67.5 Insulation

I also learned a little fun fact by doing some research. Apparently each insulation point is one second. Interesting....... After YEARS of me playing I JUST learned it. Welp.

Sincerely,

Cactus

Edited by RoughCactus69
  • Thanks 1

As Wendy, you can use a pipspook instead of abigail to return her when she is about to die. This can be a life saver in ruins and is extremely helpful on console, where Abigail has to be right by you to interact with her.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, penguin0616 said:

Willow gets about +0.6 sanity/min from holding a torch/lighter. 

Interestingly enough, it also applies to her holding a Morning Star. Not that you'd ever equip it for that little sanity, but it's an interesting obscure fact nonetheless.

• Like 4

A couple things about Rockjaws:

- They have a 30% chance to do another set of bites after finishing one. There's no limiting factor so they can technically go on for a long time if you're lucky.

- They are programmed to give up after not hitting anyone after jumping onto a boat 3 times. They're the only mob that has behavior like this AFAIK.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Sanity 1
  • Sad Dupe 3

55 minutes ago, Electroely said:

They are programmed to give up after not hitting anyone after jumping onto a boat 3 times. They're the only mob that has behavior like this AFAIK

this is so annoying. Not only their loot is worthless than also are worthless to be fought

• Like 2

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

this is so annoying. Not only their loot is worthless than also are worthless to be fought

I quite dislike it too. I think sharks have one of the most unique fight patterns, too, and one that can actually reward good reaction and timing as opposed to just kiting knowledge. It's a shame this mechanic literally punishes properly dodging attacks.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

4 hours ago, Electroely said:

I quite dislike it too. I think sharks have one of the most unique fight patterns, too, and one that can actually reward good reaction and timing as opposed to just kiting knowledge. It's a shame this mechanic literally punishes properly dodging attacks.

Their loot is genuinely nice imo, but either way... why does this have to be portrayed as such a negative thing? I don't see the issue here, if you absolutely have to kill a rockjaw then you'll know that they consistently lose aggro every few jumps, and then you can simply drop any kind of meat in the water to lure them back and regain their aggro. Which is another unknown mechanic worth mentioning! You can drop meat in the water and rockjaws will prioritize it over most everything else, and then you can pick it back up right when they go underwater to snap it, and they'll be so close that they'll have regained aggro on you.

Of course, that's if you absolutely HAVE to kill them. A big thing about the ocean content is that you need to respect it, just like a real ocean. You can't just go out into it expecting to do everything like you do on land, you have to respect the ocean and the creatures that live in it, and adapt to doing things in their element. This rockjaw mechanic is a perfect example of that, actually: if you simply respect the sharks, avoiding sailing too close to them and then just dodging them if they jump on your boat, they'll quickly lose interest. Of course, if you really really want to then you can find ways to kill them anyways, just like you can go on to track down and kill a gnarwail after you've taken its horn, but you're probably not supposed to do either of these things.

This isn't a mechanic that "punishes you for properly dodging attacks," it's a mechanic that rewards you for properly dodging a threat in the ocean, yet also rewards you for knowledge of another rockjaw mechanic (going after meat in the water) by letting you lure it back if you absolutely want to kill it. That's like, a lot of depth for something as simple as a mob that jumps on your boat to try and kill you!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

With all due respect, I think defeating a high threat should be met with an equally great reward. That's something that is just a theme throughout the whole game.

Risk your life for the potential of making it better.

I don't see the reason why, just because its ocean content, this should change. It wasn't something that was present in shipwrecked and all out of all the ocean mobs in dst the rockjaw is the only on to give almost 0 incentive.  Even the amount of food it gives does not line up with its difficulty.

I understand what you're saying but I think game balance is as important as immersion. 

• Like 2

Continuing this thread with something I recently learned after trying to get Giant Durian to rot:

Picking a giant crop from its farm plot will make it last around a full season, and to my testing, its spoilage does not seem to be affected by summer (don't quote me on this though).

Edit: And putting a Giant Durian next to a furnace does not make it rot any faster than one that is not next to a furnace.

Edit2: And you cannot research a Rotten Giant crop if it is out of its farm plot. *insert sad face here*

Edited by Aeglefire

12 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

With all due respect, I think defeating a high threat should be met with an equally great reward. That's something that is just a theme throughout the whole game.

Risk your life for the potential of making it better

The idea of risking your life for a good reward makes a lot of sense with say, a raid boss, or a varg or spider queen. You put yourself into a dangerous situation, overcome the challenge, and get rewarded for that. Rockjaws are an active threat, though, like hound attacks. The reward is defending yourself, and... being alive. Also 4 fish meat, if you absolutely want to kill them.

I would like to point out also that gnarwails have an incredibly similar mechanic of losing interest once they lose their horn, and having to be actively lured back to kill them for 4 fish meat. Maybe it's less noticeable there because gnarwails drop a horn, but it does seem to be a theme of some ocean mobs to have a "leave" condition like this.

• Like 3