Any unknown mechanic to share?

8 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

Shadow creatures can take damage and get killed from falling rocks from earthquakes in the caves.

It can also get you killed! A rock landed on a terrorbeak and teleported it directly on top of me and it instantly attacked! Thankfully it didn't kill me that time, but I could see it getting someone killed.

Edited by Cheggf
  • Sanity 2
  • Wavey 6
  • Potato Cup 3

On 1/19/2021 at 9:12 AM, VouMorrer said:

someone probably already said that here, but you can feed a glowberry to a rabbit in your inventory and still get the light effect without loosing sanity.

can use this to keep your head free for a helmet or if you want your chest to glow.

Just tested it. Not sure if this is a safe thing to do.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Wavey 6

Yet even more mechanics I've found, but haven't found in this thread:

1. You can use Wagstaffs tools for infinite light!

[Edit: I am a fool. Turns out they disappear after each relog, so unless you wrap them up between each time you leave, this tip doesn't work. You can still utilize this to stockpile the tools, if you wanna do Wagstaffs quest more quickly. In any other aspect, this mechanic is utterly useless, don't invest your time!]

I'll make a thorough post about it later this day (and report it in the bug tracker afterwards, so be quick if you wanna use this.)

In short, you can wrap up Wagstaffs tools during his miniquest. He will spawn new ones, as if they disappeared.
The kicker is: After unwrapping, the tools won't disappear! 
Not even after another event is started! They will stay indefinitely (until Klei fixes this haha)
Now, a single tool will not produce much light at all, and will flicker occasionally. However, if you utilize the stacking light-sources I mentioned earlier, it gets ridiculously overpowered.

Essentially, you can convert rope into infinite light now (which ofc wards off charlie).
2132338257_Screenshot(634).thumb.png.9c2a81da1b50757f55382faacb582312.png

2. Bunnymen hate Mutated Birds.

While we're at it: Bunnymen are precious when doing Wagstaffs quest (especially going solo). 
Three of them easily suffice to get rid of all the birds wherever they spawn. I prefer to use them in the evening so they don't sleep. Tame them and go stockpile those Contained Statics! It's surprisingly easy, especially when you have 60 non-despawning Wagstaff tools at the ready.

PS: Seedshells are also a great great, easy to use backup. They might be intended just for this fight, the more I think about it!

973984884_Screenshot(612).png.f52a7cc3cce6a522097193983afb4168.png

3. You can stockpile Wobsters in a cage.

So Wobster Bisque is considered a great early healing food to stockpile before bundling wrap & Jellybeans, since the ingredients (Ice and Wobsters) don't spoil thanks to Ice Boxes and Tin Fishin' Bins. What I learned is that Wobsters don't starve on ground and can be captured with traps anytime. So don't bother building Tin Fishin' Bins for them, unless you really wanna safe on Traps.

29610580_Screenshot(637).thumb.png.d5f97b05be0bfcb096f464940770b810.png

4. The Celestial Crown buff works with the Ice Staff.

If you don't want to waste Blowdarts or Boomerangs for quick to kill targets in your late-game, just make the Ice Staff your weapon of choice. Having 20 Uses is a solid upgrade to 1 or 10 Uses, especially since Ice Staffs are much cheaper to craft than Blowdarts or Boomerangs.

This doubles the Sanity Cost of Ice Staffs to 2 Sanity per Use, but buffs your Ice Staff with 42,5 Damage per hit, as long as your Sanity is above 85%. Obviously, this works better with High Max Sanity/High Sanity Regen Characters such as WX, Wickerbottom or Maxwell. Just a neat little thing for you to utilize.
34052260_Screenshot(610).png.c46163859a3c18d69fa3785e8dac50a3.png

Stay home stay safe!
And have a nice day too!

Edited by Tim S.
  • Like 19
  • Big Ups 2

26 minutes ago, Tim S. said:

Now, a single tool will not produce much light at all, and will flicker occasionally. However, if you utilize the stacking light-sources I mentioned earlier, it gets ridiculously overpowered.

Why do they emit light, is it normal? I thought they were just items without any abilities. I think I once did the event during a night and I don't remember seeing them without a light, but I could be wrong there.

Nice find, thanks for the tip! ;)

Edited by fimmatek

3 hours ago, fimmatek said:

Why do they emit light, is it normal? I thought they were just items without any abilities. I think I once did the event during a night and I don't remember seeing them without a light, but I could be wrong there.

I mean... the event only happens while the Mysterious Energy is active and all nights are full moons (and therefore completely illuminated) at that time, so you probably didn't notice cause their light was drowned out by the moon's light.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Willow sanity station.

This was probably already mentioned in this thread but I didn't find it, and it's cool so worst case I'll repeat it.

Drop 10-20 or more individual ropes or something with long burning time, have a watering can to extinguish before said objects burn, and you have your own star caller staff, requiring a bit more mentoring, but having insane sanity regen and light radius, both considerably better than the staff

Just wanted to correct a common misconception I hear. Food doesn’t last exactly 25% longer in winter and 25% less time in summer. It’s actually 33.3% longer in winter and lasts just 20% less time in summer.

Spoilage time is effectively divided by 0.75 in winter and 1.25 in summer.

1/.75=1.333 and 1/1.25=0.8

EDIT: corrected wording issues

Edited by Friendly Grass
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, Friendly Grass said:

Just wanted to correct a common misconception I hear. Spoilage isn’t exactly 25% slower in winter and 25% faster in summer. It’s actually 33.3% slower in winter and just 20% faster in summer.

I think you are confusing spoilage rate with spoilage time.

The spoilage rate is how much freshness is lost per second, and it is exactly 25% slower in winter (0.75) and 25% faster in summer (1.25).

The spoilage time is how many seconds it takes to lose all freshness and it is inversely proportional to the spoilage rate.

So if the rate is multiplied by some constant, the time is divided by that same constant. In winter, for example, the rate is multiplied by 0.75 and thus the time is divided by 0.75. So perishables do indeed spoil 25% more slowly, which means they last 33% longer.

Edited by QuartzBeam
  • Like 16

3 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

I think you are confusing spoilage rate with spoilage time.

Thank you for the technical clarification. This makes sense. But I don’t think the spoilage rate has any applicable significance, and it is very misleading.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Friendly Grass said:

Thank you for the technical clarification. This makes sense. But I don’t think the spoilage rate has any applicable significance, and it is very misleading.

Eh, the only misleading thing about it is people who peek into tuning.lua and jump to conclusions without having sufficient context. "Hey, I saw the number 0.75 next to something about spoilage and winter, so I guess foods last 25% longer in winter."

• Like 1

An actual misconception related to seasonal spoilage is that spoilage is 25% slower all winter & 25% faster all summer, when it's actually based on world temperature instead of season making it not constantly apply for all 15 days, especially if you go into the caves during summer. 

Edited by Cheggf
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 1

I think in general it’s good to state values in forms that have significance, make sense, and actually mean something relevant. Wes having 25% reduced damage and efficiency means it takes him 33.3% longer to kill, chop, mine things. A 3x damage modifier means 0.333x (66.6% less) the time and resources while a 6x damage modifier means 0.167x (83.3% less) the time and resources. The 1.25x spoilage rate when world temp is greater than 70 means 0.8x the spoilage time. 0.75x the spoilage rate when world temp is under 0 means 1.33x the spoilage time.

You don’t say salt boxes give a 75% slower spoilage rate, you say food in it lasts 4x as long. And there is a misconception that food lasts 25% longer in winter and 25% shorter in summer. Because I had that misconception. Because if you tell a normal person that it spoils 25% faster/slower that’s what they’ll assume.

Also, I may be mistaken but I thought there’s not much time in summer where the world temp is under 70 and not much, if any time in winter when it’s greater than 0.

Sorry for the rant.

Just now, Friendly Grass said:

I think in general it’s good to state values in forms that have significance, make sense, and actually mean something relevant.

Slower & faster most definitely have significance and make sense. 

1 minute ago, Friendly Grass said:

A 3x damage modifier means 0.333x (66.6% less) the time and resources

So are you suggesting people stop saying Wolfgang does about 94% more damage and instead say Wolfgang finishes fights in about 51.5% the normal time? Because that is what doesn't make sense. That's so awkward and clumsy.

2 minutes ago, Friendly Grass said:

You don’t say salt boxes give a 75% slower spoilage rate

Yes I do.

2 minutes ago, Friendly Grass said:

Because if you tell a normal person that it spoils 25% faster/slower that’s what they’ll assume.

:oops:

5 hours ago, Friendly Grass said:

You don’t say salt boxes give a 75% slower spoilage rate, you say food in it lasts 4x as long. And there is a misconception that food lasts 25% longer in winter and 25% shorter in summer. Because I had that misconception. Because if you tell a normal person that it spoils 25% faster/slower that’s what they’ll assume.

You can say both, they are equivalent. If you prefer to state it in terms of time it takes to spoil, fine.

This reminds me of the famous story:

In the 1980s, A&W tried to compete with McDonald's Quarter Pounder by selling a third-pound burger at a lower cost. The product failed, because most customer thought 1/4 pound was bigger.

lol

• Haha 7

Found something cool yesterday.

When antlion spawns, it destroys stone fruit you placed on its spawn point. So all you need to do is place stacks of stone fruit at the end of spring in his spawn point, and he ll break them all. 

No need for weather pane or gunpowder

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Sanity 6

32 minutes ago, LEX-7O2 said:

If you hold shift while trying to place a mini sign over a chest it will automatically target the center of the chest  when placing, very handy for base building

Are you using a mod? Im trying to do this and it's not working.

when action queue is so popular that it’s mistaken as a vanilla feature :wilson_cry:

Spoiler

not judging people that use it obviously as long as it makes the game more enjoyable for you

And yes this is just a feature of this mod you can see in its description.

• Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 1

Not really mechanics but two things:

-Wigfrid's Battle Songs don't count as talking or playing an intrument for the crops

-Misshapen Bird's spit can damage them and also Moonblind Crows, and because of how DS parabolic projectiles work, you can kill a group of birds by standing close to them, wait for a Misshapen Bird to attack, walk away and the spit lands on the birds. However this is not reliable since their attention is centered on the Restrained Static

Edited by Just-guy
  • Like 1