Any unknown mechanic to share?

Do you know any game mechanic that could not be very popular, you use for your advantage and could let us know?

For example: If you feed a pig x4 monster meat and kill it, you get 2x meat and 1x pig skin; two out of three ingredients to prototype hambat, also, you can repeat the process to get pig skin without destroying pig houses.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5
  • Potato Cup 1

Just some stuff I thought off the top of my head

If Maxwell summons 2 duelests and one farming minion, he will be permanently insane. Great for nightmare fuel farming

A straw roll when used as fuel lasts longer then the sum of its parts

Thermal stones can be repaired with a sew kit (ok maybe not mindblowing but I didn't know about it for the longest time)

Lightbulbs can be turned into poop via werepig. Great if you for some reason need 200 poop real fast(or burn them for ash)

Down in the ruins, use rooks to destroy broken clockwork mounds. If a clockwork spawns from its destruction, it will be agro towards whatever destroyed the mound.

Edited by Brago-sama
  • Like 37
  • Thanks 16
  • Health 2

Extra adorable lavae can be brought into the caves, and can be wrapped up in a bundling wrap to be used for later. They also gain 20 health every time they consume ashes so you don't have to worry all that much about their health slowly depleting over time.

Chester will almost always spawn in one of two places. The end of the brick road on grass turf around several ponds and sometimes several moles. (If the brick road goes to pig king he will still likely be near the several ponds on grass turf) On the rare occasion that the group of ponds do not spawn then Chester will spawn on swamp land instead.

Hutch will pretty much always spawn on the outskirts of the deep caves on one of the branching paths that is populated by several slurtle holes.

When looking for the lunar island look for the two instances of the border that is weirdly flat compared to the rest of the world. Nine times out of ten the lunar island will be where the two oddly flat instances of land would intersect if a line were drawn out from the flat edge. It can also be seen that the world will often times look like an incomplete donut. The lunar island will be the missing piece of that donut.

The forest fuel weaver counts as an epic boss despite not having a way to do damage. Because of this it will drop 8 souls for Wortox which can be easily gained at least once every single night if the atrium and 8 fossil pieces have been acquired.

If you use a tallbird egg to make bacon and eggs you can use 2 monster meat, 1 tallbird egg, and 1 stick for guaranteed bacon and eggs. This works because the bacon and eggs recipe doesn't exclude sticks while monster lasagna does exclude sticks. It just needs a value of 2 eggs and 2 meat. Tallbird eggs count as 2 eggs so the extra space can have the stick in it. (Scotch eggs are way better and easier to make, so this tip is obsolete.)

Eels can be traded to the pig king for 5 gold.

Wolfgang can singlehandedly knock scales off of the Dragonfly above about 280 hunger when mighty with a dark sword.

Edited by ButterStuffed
Added more.
  • Like 44
  • Thanks 22
  • Shopcat 1

- if you need to feed a bird during the night, take it out of the birdcage and place it back in. It will be awake enough for you to feed it 4-6 times before it sleeps again. Then repeat the process as desired.

Edited by GetNerfedOn
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 18
  • Health 1
  • Shopcat 1

If you have two telelocator focus set up in a world, and If you stand in the center of one of said Telelocator Focus, when you use the Telelocator Staff to teleport yourself, you won't teleport to the focus you're currently under. Instead, you will teleport to the opposite Telelocator Focus. 

This lets essentially make your own custom, two-way wormhole, in exchange for purple gems. It's probably been in the game since forever, but the UI didn't give any hint that this was possible, unlike Wagstaff's Telipad (I've asked around and some people knew about it).

This is what I mean if you don't get it:

Spoiler

I originally learnt of it from reddit:

• Like 28
  • Thanks 15

12 hours ago, Brago-sama said:

Thermal stones can be repaired with a sew kit (ok maybe not mindblowing but I didn't know about it for the longest time)

what

why

how

gameplay wise sure it can pass, but sewing a rock I don't get it

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 32
  • Wavey 1
  • Potato Cup 2

you can give an egg to antlion for a desert stone.

you can deconstruct your pan flute after use it for hunting down dragonfly. That would drop 1 mandrake.

you can notice when the disease will happen, by observing character quotes carefully when you're harvesting plants.

If you missed character decease detecting quote, don't worry. You still can know what plant took disease by examining them.

Edited by HeatAndRun
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 13

- Chester will always spawn near the stange hand and vis versa.

- You can use the moonstone statue to build some nice set up in your base ( credits to Overtime : 

).

- 2 lichen plus 2 monster meat wild yield 50% either monster lasagna or chilli.

- Merms are only aggressive when you go next to there houses. If you want you can stand right next to a merm if he is far from his house.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 10

Build a campfire next to a puddle / ice rock to delete it entirely

Over feeding a beefalo gives free rot

3 meat 1 monster meat always gives a stew. dont need 4 meat

8 minutes ago, Warlockadamm said:

- Merms are only aggressive when you go next to there houses. If you want you can stand right next to a merm if he is far from his house.

isn't this reliant on dusk/night? I think they're hostile regardless of house at day.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 6

3 hours ago, Hell-met said:

3 meat 1 monster meat always gives a stew. dont need 4 meat

The most efficient you can get with Meaty Stew is 2 meat, 1 monster meat, and a morsel.

The most efficient recipe for Trailmix is (iirc from KnottaHooker's stream) 1 birchnut, 2 berries and a twig. pls. do test... maybe i got the number of birchnuts and berries reversed.

Spiky Bushes grow during winter, need no fertilizer and are resistant to disease, though caring for them is annoying due to their lengthy pick animations and the damage they deal forcing you to wear armor or take heals.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

The most efficient recipe for Trailmix is (iirc from KnottaHooker's stream) 1 birchnut, 2 berries and a twig. pls. do test... maybe i got the number of birchnuts and berries reversed.

Yes! It's right!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Hell-met said:

I did not mean the house.

ooh, i stand corrected, then :)

well, then, lemme rephrase if that helps:

Merms aren't hostile regardless of their houses  during the day. They have the same territorial behavior all thoughout the day and night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Ok came back with some more.

Fugu hutch (put a lightbulb and a spear in his inventory) does just enough damage to one hit baby tentacles when they hit him. Baby tentacles drop one soul each for wortox. Infinite, continuous free food/health source for wortox down in the caves

Capture butterflies or bees (preferably bees as they stack to 20) as wortox for portable souls. Killing them in your inventory still nets you a soul and can be kept alive with seeds. Great for boss fights 

Lureplant bulbs are the most fire susceptible objects in the game. Basically, if it's on your screen during summer and the game says something should start smoldering, it will be the lureplant everytime. Useful if you have little to no gears. Just place 4 bulbs in the corners of the radius of one ice flingo and build your base within sight of the bulbs. Just dont forget to put down flooring that eye bulbs can't spawn on. (Crafted flooring/green and red fungal turf/sandy, cave rock or rocky turf)

Edited by Brago-sama
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 14

If you don't want to dig up your surface rocky biome, rocky turfs can span in the caves.

You can toss (some) items through wormholes

Moleworms die when they eat gunpowder

Use buckets o' poop to fertilize more efficiently

"Applied Horticulture" can change the growth stage of trees

Cooked corn restores less hunger

You can cook birchnuts

Dig up poisonous birchnut stumps for another living log

Poisonous birchnutters are most common in Autumn

Cooking a live animal over a fire always yields the meat (morsels for birds, monster meat for beardlings)

Cooking live animals doesn't cause naughtiness

Light beehives on fire to expel all the bees, the "angry" bees that spawn  from hives will only do so if there are bees in the hive

If you stay near the portal/in the light radius spawned when you join an existing world, your temperature will not go below 10 or above 60 degrees

The Florid Postern will spawn resources around if it there aren't any nearby, but only in endless mode

Edited by S19TealPenguin
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 12
  • Potato Cup 1

Crafting a scaled flooring and then using a deconstruction staff on each flooring tile will give you 6 scales for the price of 1.

For console players, L3(left stick) is for locking on the mob where the attack button is currently hovering at, in case you are fighting a target among non-hostile mobs that could get in your way.

My friend taught me this really good one:

Bring a bee queen crown and snurtle shell armor with you when you go to the ruins. When a nightmare stage begins, go straight to a nightmare light, equip the crown and shell, and hide in the shell right next to the nightmare light. This will both give you a ton of sanity, and nightmare creatures will ignore you.

Also, if a friend(s) is with you, give him all your food and have him quit during the nightmare phase while you hide next to a nightmare light, and have him join again when it's over. That way, you only need one crown and shell, and the food will last a little longer before spoiling.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 7

I think the punch animation takes longer to hit than when the hand slot is equipped with something so when you want to command followers to attack without your target aggroing you, safer to unequip  whatever you’re holding.

Edited by AN-0923
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 5

if u use lantern and take it out from slot - character still lights, its annoying people because u have freee hands and shining

smallbirds spawn after some time (dont know what exactly time it is) and if u dont visit them for a long time there will be tooooooo many of them from every nest, because they spawn and spawn again and again, they will kill each other and u ll get free food

Edited by Gagarin-ace
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5