Any unknown mechanic to share?

4 minutes ago, Tim S. said:

I'll be glad to be proven wrong haha. But according to my testing, even a hundred days after planting there was yet a single Gekko to spawn from my underground-Tufts (after harvesting exactly 500, beginning after 100 days after being planted). So unless my tests are scuffed, given a 1% chance for Gekkos to spawn, there's a 0.657% chance that I was just lucky and a 99.343% chance that they don't spawn down there at all. 

yoo Dream plays DST pog

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tim S. said:

I'll be glad to be proven wrong haha. But according to my testing, even a hundred days after planting there was yet a single Gekko to spawn from my underground-Tufts (after harvesting exactly 500, beginning after 100 days after being planted). So unless my tests are scuffed, given a 1% chance for Gekkos to spawn, there's a 0.657% chance that I was just lucky and a 99.343% chance that they don't spawn down there at all. 

Do you pick your grass by hand? Grass gekkos only spawn if a player harvests grass, so other farming methods like lureplants do not cause gekkos to spawn. 

Speaking of lureplants, did you know that you know that eyeplants now eat spiders whole like rabbits and birds?  Don't be surprised to kill a lureplant and watch it release a not very amused 8 legged friend.

• Like 1

These are all the following conditions a grass must go through when picked for it to spawn a gecko herd, in order:

1. it can not be winter

2. it must have been picked or dug up by a player (not lureplants, depth worms, bearger slam, etc)

3. a 1 in 100 chance must be met

for each potential grass tuft before it turns into a gecko

4.  it must have been transplanted

4. it must have been more than 20-30 days since the grass tuft was transplanted

5. it must be in the "idle" animation

6. there must be less than 6 gekkos within a 5 tile radius

nearby geckos continue to spawn until the previous check fails

• Like 6

2 hours ago, EirikGerhard said:

Do you pick your grass by hand? Grass gekkos only spawn if a player harvests grass, so other farming methods like lureplants do not cause gekkos to spawn. 

I think that using s shovel on the plant works too. There was a tutorial made by laknish monster where he spawn gekkos non stop with a shovel

• Like 2

On 6/7/2021 at 11:42 AM, Hornete said:

Fire Nettles won't attack you if you're wet, so if you'd like to harvest a lot of fire nettles fronds without being belted by the nettles intense heat, you can use waterballoons on yourself or use an oar on a boat and wet yourself that way.

(To be considered wet you need 40% or more moisture)

I'm so sorry. I made a crucial mistake here, The fire nettles actually have to be wet themselves in order to stop attacking players, not the players themselves, so you'll want to wait for rain first to wet the fire nettles(Waterballoons, watering cans won't work unfortunately). Of course the one time I don't test a thing in-game after reading the code it turns out to be incorrect....

Welp, I sure hope this doesn't spread like the "Ocuvigil keeps the area around it loaded" or "Meteorshowers spread over time" myths.... :cold:

• Like 11
  • Shopcat 2

1 hour ago, Hornete said:

I'm so sorry. I made a crucial mistake here, The fire nettles actually have to be wet themselves in order to stop attacking players, not the players themselves, so you'll want to wait for rain first to wet the fire nettles(Waterballoons, watering cans won't work unfortunately). Of course the one time I don't test a thing in-game after reading the code it turns out to be incorrect....

Welp, I sure hope this doesn't spread like the "Ocuvigil keeps the area around it loaded" or "Meteorshowers spread over time" myths.... :cold:

Fire nettles don't attack wet players, the ocuvigil keeps the area around it loaded, and meteor showers spread over time you said? I'll be sure to let everyone know!

• Like 5
  • Haha 8
  • Sad Dupe 1

16 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Fire nettles don't attack wet players, the ocuvigil keeps the area around it loaded, and meteor showers spread over time you said? I'll be sure to let everyone know!

don't forget to hold your torch during winter for extra insulation and plant more flowers so more butterflies spawn

• Haha 2

If you don't want to accumulate any more souls as Wortox you can fill the the inventory until there is no space while holding souls with a mouse. Every time you kill an enemy the soul will drop on ground instead of going into inventory.

• Health 2

If you have resources to burn and you want to befriend pigs and bunnymen as Webber and Wortox you can befriend pigs and bunnymen by using a one man band then feeding them afterwards you can unequip the one man band and feed them as normal followers interestingly they have special quotes for this so it's very much intentional.

Beware however they'll keep their hostility until you feed them in which case they'll immediately fall in line.

Just a additional side note this also works for Wurt and pigs however she's less than pleased and considering pigs are just worse merms it's rather pointless. They'll also attack other merms even your own followers on sight.

Edited by Mysterious box
  • Like 7
  • Big Ups 1

Attack period of every spider type:

Regular spiders, shattered spiders (in both melee and ranged), and cave spiders attack every 3.1 seconds.

Warrior spiders have an innate variation in their attack period; some warrior spiders attack faster than others: between 4.1 and 6.1 seconds.

Same for spitters in melee and depth dwellers.

Spitter ranged attack: 2.4 seconds.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Friendly Grass said:

Attack period of every spider type:

Regular spiders, shattered spiders (in both melee and ranged), and cave spiders attack every 3.1 seconds.

Warrior spiders have an innate variation in their attack period; some warrior spiders attack faster than others: between 4.1 and 6.1 seconds.

Same for spitters in melee and depth dwellers.

Spitter ranged attack: 2.4 seconds.

From what I've observed spitter's doing a melee attack have a 6 second cooldown while the ranged attack seems to be 2 seconds or less.

Then again spider ranged attacks don't seem to follow cool downs properly

Edited by Mysterious box

40 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

From what I've observed spitter's doing a melee attack have a 6 second cooldown while the ranged attack seems to be 2 seconds or less.

Then again spider ranged attacks don't seem to follow cool downs properly

A spitter's ranged attack doesn't technically have a "cooldown" per se, yeah. But it's taunt and attack animation lengths are essentially it's "cooldown".

It's spit attack animation is 39 ticks, then goes into it's taunt animation which is 31 ticks, and then it goes into an in between idle animation for just 2 ticks. Ticks are 1/30th of a second, so a total of 2.4 seconds. I also tested this by using commands to have it print the time in between attacks to confirm this. But this can definitely vary somewhat.

Some spitters can have an attack period of 6 seconds, yes. As I said there's an innate 2 second variation.

Edited by Friendly Grass
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

interestingly they have special quotes for this so it's very much intentional.

If you're talking about them having quotes for a pig follower, every character has quotes for everything, even things they very much shouldn't have quotes for such as items that were removed before the character was added. Wouldn't necessarily mean something is intentional.

25 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

If you're talking about them having quotes for a pig follower, every character has quotes for everything, even things they very much shouldn't have quotes for such as items that were removed before the character was added. Wouldn't necessarily mean something is intentional.

Fair enough maybe it's a bug but I'd like to think of it as magic altering their minds wonder if someone will make a poll on it heh.

• Like 1

Since recent patches, spiders now don't go back to their dens if they're or fire or frozen. If you set a den on fire with a torch or fire staff, it's spiders will come out as if the den was attacked...

Spoiler

106170009_lightdenonfire.thumb.png.a67385a582c4828cea9b48b84a34a0cb.png

But they don't agro to you, nor go back to their den while it's on fire. If it's day time, they'll instead fall asleep.

Spoiler

148115722_spiderstosleep.thumb.png.f802f5743b19222b9ee533d5ee17fd6a.png

One can then, as Webber, quickly pick up all the sleeping spiders, and then extinguish the den with a watering can or ice staff!

Spoiler

318124117_extinguishingden.thumb.png.ac3614e0be3672889dc582add0e75bbc.png

Notes:

• You need to pick up the spiders before extinguishing their den or they'll wake up.
  • If the den burns for 20 seconds straight, it will turn to ash. It also loses health fairly rapidly.
  • When the den is shaved or upgraded, it resets it's health and spiders.
  • Once you have your spider "friends" in your inventory, you can cleanly murder them.
  • Spiders won't fall asleep if their den is frozen, they'll just linger. Which is why you need to burn the den, not just freeze it.

Edited by Friendly Grass
  • Like 9
  • Happy Hazard 1
  • Sanity 2
  • Sad Dupe 1

As of last night's patch, Webber can pick up his spider friends without losing his loyalty, which also means he can retrieve any hat he gave them at no cost. This presents some interesting possibilities.

Miner Hat: Since spiders are relatively fast and stick close to Webber (especially if you blow the whistle), you can use them as a portable light without sacrificing your hand or head slot. When day comes, just pick the spider up to retrieve the hat, then put it back down. Afterwards, you can refill the hat and give it to them once night comes again.

Fun Caps: I miiight be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure Fun Caps produce spores even when worn by mobs, so you can give a bunch of them to your spiders for a portable and efficient spore farm.

Hat Storage: You want to bring a bunch of hats with you, but don't want to fill up your inventory? Give them to your spiders. Probably not terribly useful with "clothing" hats, as those typically degrade over time while the spiders wear them (but then again, silk for sewing kits should come easily to Webber). It might be pretty useful for football helms and other "armor" hats though, as those only lose durability when the spider is hit and with a decently sized horde that won't happen often. (And even if it does, being able to take your spiders' armor in an emergency is not half bad.)

• Like 7
  • GL Happy 1

There is a hidden mechanic in Spring where the max chase time(The maximum amount of time a mob will chase you for) and max chase distance(The maximum distance between the mob and its target before it gives up chasing after it) and/or the aggro distance(minimum distance a mob needs to be near something for it to target onto) is increased by 33% for many mobs. This applies to these mobs

• Bees & Killer Bees
  • Gnarwail
  • Merms & Guard Merms
  • Mosquitos
  • Guard Pigs and Werepigs(This does not apply to regular pigs)
  • Rock Lobsters
  • Smallbirds
  • Spiders
  • Tallbirds

Some "special/additional" cases:

• Spider dens will also host 33% more regular spiders(However that number is rounded down, take for example a tier 1's den 3 spiders, that'll be multiplied by 33% which yes results in 3.99, however thats rounded down to 3, so you won't get anymore spiders from a tier one) A tier 2 den will host 7 spiders instead of 6 in spring and a tier 3 will host 11 spiders instead of 9. Also, usually to trigger a spider den and all its spiders, one of its spiders will need to be attacked in a distance of 12 units away from the spider den, this distance is also increased in spring by 33% to a distance of 15.96 units (A unit is the length of a wall, by the way)
    This does not apply to other dens like shattered dens, cave/spitter spider dens.
  • The range for which a mob shares it's target with others of its kind(beefalo, spiders, etc) is also increased by 33% for all mobs that have this mechanic.
Edited by Hornete
  • Like 18

32 minutes ago, Hornete said:

There is a hidden mechanic in Spring where the max chase time(The maximum amount of time a mob will chase you for) and max chase distance(The maximum distance between the mob and its target before it gives up chasing after it) and/or the aggro distance(minimum distance a mob needs to be near something for it to target onto) is increased by 33% for many mobs. This applies to these mobs

i guess they're all cranky about allergies

• Haha 5

22 hours ago, Hornete said:

Also, usually to trigger a spider den and all its spiders, one of its spiders will need to be attacked in a distance of 12 units away from the spider den, this distance is also increased in spring by 33% to a distance of 15.96 units

Wonder if this is the reason why I sometimes felt like the spider den got pissed off from too far away. I would've never thought to pay attention to what season it was when it happened, never crossed my mind that a season would change that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Wonder if this is the reason why I sometimes felt like the spider den got pissed off from too far away. I would've never thought to pay attention to what season it was when it happened, never crossed my mind that a season would change that.

I remember playing a few months ago and going absolutely bonkers because I swear I wasn't near a tier 3 spider den while trying to kill spiders and the den would trigger. Apparently I hadn't encountered/realised this mechanic til then, and that's how I found out about it haha.

You can block tentacles with just dropped items no need for walls.

Same with lureplants for eyes but you can use mini signs so other eyes don’t pick up the item.

462DB24D-69C4-43D5-863B-331584C32ECE.png

Edited by Mahoood
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Ninja 1
  • Big Ups 1
  • GL Happy 4