Any unknown mechanic to share?

You can shave a random beefalo, link it with a bell, take it to caves and as soon as you go down it will have hair and can be shaved again.

Shaved beefalos can't be ridden though, they have a really  tiny mounting time regardless of what you do, so if you shave a beeefalo in the surface and you are planning to ride it in the caves where it has hair again, it will not work, for some reason it remembers having been shaved recently and will behave as if it was bald.

• Like 1

Surprisingly, even more mechanics I've found, but haven't found in this thread:

1. You can put your Grass Gekkos in a constant state of fear and misery using Bunnymen

Maximize your Cut Grass output! Grass Gekkos are terribly afraid of Pigs, Bunnymen, Chester and Hounds. Werewolves are a nuisance and Hounds are impractical (unless using sleeping staff-trap-Hounds), so Bunnymen are your perfect choice! They don't destroy walls and inflict nigh-permanent panic in a radius of roughly 5 diagonal Wall-Tiles, which certainly suffices to perma-shock all the inhabitants of your average pen! Pen in your Bunnyman and you only ever need to enter to collect the loot!

206860608_Screenshot(883).png.5125f54acd093045b683f246a9df8836.png

2. You can burn Hounds corpses to stop them from reviving

Noticed this while fighting Red Hounds earlier! Quite practical, especially when moonstorming your world for a prolonged amount of time. Certainly beats fighting every second black Hound all over again.

1321633738_Screenshot(873).png.1064a95f83cbb030ca1301cfe2c37f9f.png

3. Telepoofed Rooks just wanna get home

Rooks are well-known for their tree-smashing capabilities. Being available year-round, they suffice as a simple alternative to Bearger. If you don't like them charging at you while collecting loot, telepoof them onto the Lunar Islands! They constantly try to jump home, ignoring you entirely. Plant some Marble Beans or Birchnuts (preferably not Pinetrees, unless you wanna get your Rook smashed) and aggro the Rook without dealing damage using your Ice Staff.

Telepoofing him on your mainland and blocking him with regular walls works too, but he'll destroy the walls on every charge, which requires extra maintenance. I myself used Bearger on all occasions, but with three of my worlds having Bearger bugged, unable to spawn without console, I've resorted to Rooks entirely.

133171255_Screenshot(896).png.5d84ed1354c310a08c24910b7a8a0670.png

4. You can step on sticky webs if the Den is frozen.

When you wanna collect loot near a Spider Den and you don't have a Spiderhat, just freeze the Den with your trusty Ice Staff. If you aim it standing either perpendicular to the edge or diagonally, you won't alert the Spiders when freezeing the nest. Wander around as much as you like, even when the Den thaws. Surprisingly, if multiple dens are near to each other, the combined web counts as one, so you won't even alert new Spiders when leaving the original Dens web. Watch out though, since wandering close to the edges seems to spawn Spiders nonetheless sometimes.

782209329_Screenshot(889).png.bc86da4d3b68d608844aa5d5557e1631.png

Also, after eating a Chili-Flaked Volt Goat Chaud-Froid, a wet Maxwell can two-hit himself with a boomerang.
Love goes out to everyone!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

cookie cutters respawn extremely fast (one fourth of a day?) so they're a pretty good monster meat farm

terrorclaws only spawn if a boat exists, so if you're insane and somehow over the water with no boat then you effectively have no threat to worry over

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Well-met said:

cookie cutters respawn extremely fast (one fourth of a day?) so they're a pretty good monster meat farm

terrorclaws only spawn if a boat exists, so if you're insane and somehow over the water with no boat then you effectively have no threat to worry over

Spiders are still better than cookie cutters for meat but it is a good alternative for a monster meat source out at sea as long u are careful enough 

5 hours ago, Well-met said:

Terrorclaws will spawn in the cave's void if you're clipping out of bounds. Not sure if they behave differently on the surface for some reason.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Terrorclaws will spawn in the cave's void if you're clipping out of bounds. Not sure if they behave differently on the surface for some reason.

oh nice

yeah maybe its just on my end

i dont play much woodie but i imagine it would be easy to check with weregoose

• Like 1

Not a mechanic per-se, but something I noticed.

In DST when you hit 15% sanity or 85% enlightenment(the thresholds for insanity/enlightenment) there is a sound effect that plays, I know people likely don't hear it either due to playing without insanity ambience on or by having low volume, but this sound is apparently a file called "music_dusk_gonecrazier" just sped up and played about 2-3 times.

As someone who plays with insanity ambience on(I actually enjoy it unlike most) I find myself hearing that alot, especially when going on and off the lunar island(via bridges) at full or low sanity.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

For people that got used to the Webber update and missed the latest hotfix update 469426, which introduced this doozy:

The Nurse Spider can now heal Webber as well

A game changer tbh.

Webber became self-sustaining food AND health. Similar to a wortox now, without ability to heal others or high mobility, in exchange for military power (since you can amass an army that can easily outlast bosses, frog rains, beefalo herds, late-game hounds, pretty much everything)

Things to know:

- Each healing from a nurse spider heals for 8 health.

- Nurse spiders can be unlocked by having a spider queen target you (25% chance to spawn one when targetting), and taming it

- Nurse spiders are cheap to convert from black ones, since recipe component is 2 honey (& 2 silk + 2 MM)

- Nurse spiders do half damage, have warrior spider HP (400), and only trigger their healing ability while in combat (once every couple attacks)

- Once you have nurse spiders, you can manually make the nurses force-heal by attacking one of your loyal spiders to set an example (then using the whistle after they trigger the heal) :twisted:

I had 10 nurse spiders. Did one hit. Got +80 health AOE. On demand. For free.

Another bonus: The healing glop you can craft with ashes and honey, has a lower AOE than nurse spider heal, also heals you and spiders in a pinch, but it can also be used by other players to help the spider army.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Ninja 1
  • Wavey 1

Schlumm di dumm di more mechanics I've found, but haven't found in this thread:

1. Shell Bells tend nearby crops

If placed correctly, their pleasant sound reaches up to 9 plants in a 3x3 square! It's seems even more efficient than friendly fruit flies, just run through your crops and they'll spark joy all around. Looking back I suppose that's their intended purpose, but I had no clue about this whatsoever! Finally a great use for these shells that are piling up. 
On a different note, I just found out you can place your Boat-Equipment on land now! Means you can get rid of your silly Lightning Rod now and whip out a majestic Mast to project your base.

505884350_Screenshot(86).thumb.png.20ae8282d805a74f771b57dba1d32ef9.png

2. Ponds only spawn up to 3-4 Frogs

So if you telelocate them to a safe spot where they don't bother anyone, after poofing away 3 to 4 Frogs per Pond the Pond's completely safe! I've always wanted to base around ponds but couldn't stand the frogs. Now they're decorative, a great source of fish every now and then and way more practical to build your farm next to them. Even after relogging, the ponds stay safe as long as the telepoofed frogs don't get back into the pond.
The same principle works for Vargs too as previously noted, but also for Spider Queens. Makes kiting them a lot easier.

261652040_Screenshot(77).thumb.png.85a938eef1b7e62ac20fab75d4ef41e6.png

3. Stagehands protect you from Antlion-Sinkholes

In later worlds, Sinkholes are not much a danger, but a mild annoyance instead. A simple way to ease this annoyance is to dedicate a spot near your base to them and lead a Stagehand in the middle. Each time Antlion rages, go up close to your Stagehand and wait for the Sinkholes to form. They will never reach you, so you're completely safe. They will just form in a radius around the Stagehand. Return each time the Antlion feels like annoying you again.
You can telelocate the Stagehand btw. Makes leading the Stagehand to you much less of a nuisance.

912228247_Screenshot(99).thumb.png.d84d3d75188bf9b4d57b4376f3be593e.png

4. Grass Gekkos don't spawn underground

Don't feel like building a Gekko pen and hate your non-renewable Grass-Tuft supply slowly diminishing due to Grass Gekko spawns? Well, they don't spawn underground, and as far as I can tell, there are no drawbacks for farming Grass underground (like with flowers). So just escape the Moon's gaze and move your farm beneath the earth.
1851198926_Screenshot(89).thumb.png.937e0a0f3e30f3bd500e0c44f5a8f8dd.png

Why don't Grass Gekkos spawn beneath the earth??? Are Grass Gekkos indeed Grass Tufts possessed by Lunar Energy/mutated by Moon Magic? They were added right when the Moon's power grew.. and the unimplemented Lunar-Themed Grass Crocodile-Mutation does make you think.. 

atlas-0_3806.thumb.png.dafece579c27895bf27cb2928b4f4d72.png

I have been proven wrong. They do in fact spawn underground and as such don't necesseraly relate to the Moon at all. So forget the last one.

Anyways have a great week and give love to your fellow men and women :)

Edited by Tim S.
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Is this new because i had a gekko pen when wendy refresh was release

I'll be glad to be proven wrong haha. But according to my testing, even a hundred days after planting there was yet a single Gekko to spawn from my underground-Tufts (after harvesting exactly 500, beginning after 100 days after being planted). So unless my tests are scuffed, given a 1% chance for Gekkos to spawn, there's a 0.657% chance that I was just lucky and a 99.343% chance that they don't spawn down there at all. 

Edit: oh look at me feeling all smart for knowing bernoulli distribution. I was absolutely wrong, forget all that, mb. Tried it again, and almost instantly spawned Grass Gekkos. Tests were poorly executed

Edited by Tim S.
  • Like 1

Just now, Tim S. said:

I'll be glad to be proven wrong haha. But according to my testing, even a hundred days after planting there was yet a single Gekko to spawn from my underground-Tufts (after harvesting exactly 500, beginning after 100 days after being planted). So unless my tests are scuffed, given a 1% chance for Gekkos to spawn, there's a 0.657% chance that I was just lucky and a 99.343% chance that they don't spawn down there at all. 

Well, unless that klei changed it recently im 99.99% sure that gekkos spawn in caves

Even other users had talk about how inconvenient is to make  gekko farms in the caves due to being damaged by earthquakes

Also i still have that wendy world with the gekko pen. I can adress screenshots when i come home

• Like 2