Any unknown mechanic to share?

1 hour ago, Theukon-dos said:

I'd have to test this to make sure that it's not a mod allowing me to do this, But you can "Feed" a pig to get close to it, and then before feeding it, use force attack to kill the pig without it running away from you.

you can lure Gnarval same way

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

According to several sources on several discords, you can now apparently duplicate beefalo by binding a beef to a bell, bundling the bell and unwrapping it.

image0.png?width=307&height=390

photo credits to @Maxil20

Breakin' of the beefalo 2: Electric Boogaloo, return of the boogaloo

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, GetNerfedOn said:

According to several sources on several discords, you can now apparently duplicate beefalo by binding a beef to a bell, bundling the bell and unwrapping it.

It got patched in the latest update, unfortunately! You can no longer put the bell in wraps, similar to how irreplaceable items work. You still can bring beefalo to and from the caves the bell though, as it isn’t fully counted as irreplaceable.

I’m still sad about it because that means I can’t live my dreams of having a pocket dimension beefalo ready to appear and disappear at a moments notice, but at least I can still name it.

• Sad Dupe 2

For those struggling with early game Domestication:

Use twigs for food:

You'll want to stay on the beefalo as much as possible and gather twigs to offset hunger loss when not riding it. 1 twig equates to 15 seconds in which the beefalo will not be loosing domestication Points due to starvation. Make sure it has not bucket you off recently or it may be close to tossing its saddle (I usually give it 4 for a minute to cook for myself). 4 twigs ensure 2 ingame segments where the beefalo is not starving, as a way to tell using the in-game clock.

Use grass to raise obedience:

If you find yourself unable to ride the beefalo again feed it 1-2 grass. Quickly checking if you can re-ride it after being bucket off may cancel out the animation where it bucks off the saddle, so check quickly. Grass has half the hunger points as twigs so it is not recommended to use as food.

How obedience is raised:

It is calculated every 10 seconds. Though tedious, a 10 second timer can help until its riding time exceeds a quarter of the day (easier to keep track of visually). Counting 10 seconds in your head can help too. Coming off and Re-riding it every 10 ensures domestication when the riding time is too short. 

Edited by HowlVoid
  • Thanks 1
  • GL Happy 2

59 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

In the early game I recommend carrots. 6 carrots will feed one beefalo for a whole day (12.5 x 4=50. 50 x 6=300)

The 4x multiplier for food only applies to health, unless you're referring to something else.

59 minutes ago, Crestwave said:

The 4x multiplier for food only applies to health, unless you're referring to something else.

Nope, hunger too. Refer to the wiki if you don't believe me.

Edit: I was wrong. Not sure how I came to that wild assumption. Ill revise my advice.

Edited by HowlVoid

5 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Well it's not the case sadly, would have been extremely easy to feed if he was just as hungry as a human partner, but you indeed need 4x pore.

19 minutes ago, Dechou said:

Well it's not the case sadly, would have been extremely easy to feed if he was just as hungry as a human partner, but you indeed need 4x pore.

Uh, ok. Ill check just incase I'm wrong and revise my advise.

Edit: Thanks for making me check again. The last thing I want to do is give out false information.

Edited by HowlVoid

22 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

I've tamed beefalo several times, and I'm quite sure it doesn't apply to hunger unless it changed this update. If you don't believe me or think this is new, let's verify it with a quick peek at the code:

-- prefabs/beefalo.lua
inst.components.eater:SetAbsorptionModifiers(4,1,1)
-- components/eater.lua
function Eater:SetAbsorptionModifiers(health, hunger, sanity)

As you can see, there's a 4x health modifier but all other values are left at the default 1x.

26 minutes ago, Crestwave said:

I've tamed beefalo several times, and I'm quite sure it doesn't apply to hunger unless it changed this update. If you don't believe me or think this is new, let's verify it with a quick peek at the code:

-- prefabs/beefalo.lua
-- components/eater.lua

As you can see, there's a 4x health modifier but all other values are left at the default 1x.

Alright, sorry I didn't believe you. I have also tamed befaloos for a long time but without ever using actual food. Thought I was onto something there with what came in the farming overhaul. I wrote my old school method that I have probably used for 100 hours or so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HowlVoid said:

Alright, sorry I didn't believe you. I have also tamed befaloos for a long time but without ever using actual food. Thought I was onto something there with what came in the farming overhaul. I wrote my old school method that I have probably used for 100 hours or so. 

on the bright side, I'm pretty sure you were on the right track, just with the wrong vegetable, because pumpkins would work really damn well. they were generally kind of a useless thing, since they only refill hunger, which is probably the easiest thing to do, but with a diarrhea cow consuming 300 hunger daily, it's easier to mass produce something that gives 37.5 on it's own, instead of dragonpies that need 3 fillers and a crock pot. 

pumpkins also grow in both autumn and winter, allowing you to amass them early game, they have a reasonable chance to sprout from random seed to multiply and only eat formula, which might require a bit of trickery, but is probably the easiest nutrient to fulfill... though it's 3 giant pumpkins a day to cover a beefalo's hunger, but still seems better then cooking dragonpies all the time.

10 hours ago, Crestwave said:

-- prefabs/beefalo.lua
-- components/eater.lua

Beefalos have a "sanity value" in game? huh never knew, I bet it affects absolutely nothing but still its interesting if there is a meter, lowest and higest.

Seems like this is gonna be getting a lot of beefalo tips right now, huh? I love to see it!!

One from me: If you walk over fire nettles while riding a beefalo, the initial damage will go to the beefalo while the heat will go to you!

Edited by Sunset Skye
  • Like 3

• Your beefalo merges into a nearby existing herd or creates a new herd whenever you enter or exit caves with it; by utiliziing different cave entrances/exits you can maximise the amount of beefalos born during spring
    • Make sure to move them bit away from the entrance/exit to prevent beefalos from attacking you if they're in heat and you enter/exit the caves
  • Beefalos do neither fall asleep in the caves during night nor wake up in the caves during daytime; according to a post from Swanky Psammead, beefalos do not loose domestication while asleep; to put your beefalo asleep, simply feed it a Moon Shroom (or use a Pan Flute or Wickerbottom's Sleepytime Stories)
    • it does wake up by rebooting your world, rollbacking, taking damage (by mobs or earthquake), being ridden, or if triggered by any source (while in heat or if other nearby beefalos get attacked)
  • Damage from Earthquakes, Cacti, etc. is completly negated if you ride a beefalo
    • Your beefalo does take damage when doing so but the taken damage is mostly negated by his natural health regeneration
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Atsumame said:

Was it mentioned in this thread that you can use manure to extinguish smolders without taking damage? It's barely known since rog came out for DS years ago and I see absolutely nobody use this feature ever.

No, but I doubt anyone will carry manure in their pocket at all times :D