Beta branch for the release patch?

4 minutes ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

Just so you guys know, it was told on the art stream that someone would pop in with news before the end of the month. @Bigfoot @Cheerio @JanH in case you guys forgot about it.

They're currently drawing straws to see who gets to break the bad news that there's another delay to us.  :?

On 10.6.2019 at 6:51 PM, Bigfoot said:

Every time we make a game, we set out to make a new experience that’s never been made before. Over 4 years ago, we set out to make a new Colony Sim, and the development of the game twisted and turned in many interesting ways.

After a couple years, we thought we were close, and announced the game. It turns out, we were premature in the announcement, and after another year of development, we realized that we were not delivering the experience we had set out to. Specifically, we wanted a world where you had the freedom to do what you wanted, and the world would respond systemically to it; where you could build relationships and the nuances of them would come back to haunt you. We wanted to let you wander a large expansive world, build out your colony, and travel to biomes you least expected. 

We wanted the story to be systemic, but it felt either robotic or too generic. We built a full physics simulation, modeling gases and temperatures, we built a fully featured crafting system, and a dynamic critter evolution simulator. Unfortunately, the whole was never better than the pieces; we found that each piece of the game felt disconnected with the rest, and that actions often felt inconsequential. We built large worlds that felt tedious to travel around, and as designers we knew the systems were not working to provide a holistic experience.

What we did see was the people loved the world, and loved the premise of exploration and fabrication. In short, we focused our design, and over the last year, we’ve been working on something new in the same world.

The New ONI
Today, we’re announcing a reboot of ONI, a single-player deck building game where you negotiate, fight, steal or otherwise persuade others to get your way. We put aside the huge simulation and Colony Sim elements and focused on negotiation, combat, and manipulation. You play the game as one of three characters, and each decision you make is important -- which jobs to take, which side to choose, and which cards to collect. 

In Alpha, you play as Sal, a freelance adventurer out for profit and revenge, and you do the dirty work that other people won't. As you play, you build two separate decks: one for negotiation, and one for battle. 

The world of ONI is harsh, and death can come quickly. Each time you play offers new jobs and situations to encounter, and a chance to rebuild your strategies. A successful run will require a sharp wit, a sharp blade, and enough cunning to know when to use each.

F.A.Q.

What happened to ONI the Colony Sim?
We set out to make a new kind of Colony Sim, and while we think that game can exist, after several years of development we felt we couldn’t make it work yet. Perhaps we will try again one day, but in the meantime we decided to take the world of ONI in a different direction.

Is ONI a CCG?
No, ONI is a single-player rogue-like deck building game with an emergent narrative. You earn cards during play via the jobs you complete, and build out your negotiation and fighting skills. There are no microtransactions. 

How will you be responding feedback from the players?
We have built an in-game feedback system in the game. Simply press F8 at any time in the game and you can send us your feedback. Of course, there will likely be too much feedback for us to respond to individually.

We will be primarily garnering and responding to feedback on our forums, and will keep everyone up to date with the current status of the game both on the forums and inside the game.

Changes to the original quote mine.

Sorry, Klei. I had to do it.;)

I, too, cannot wait. But I fear no matter how high this topic gets, the devs won't release the beta faster :D They may just get more scared about announcing another delay. If there is one. Which I hope there's not. But who knows :distant:

I'm not asking for a faster release. I'm just asking about current timeline and plans.

My girlfriend wants to plan something for this weekend, but if the beta branch drops on Thursday, then I will "mysteriously" become ill and spend the weekend pla-- I mean, recovering.

23 minutes ago, enragedcamel said:

I'm not asking for a faster release. I'm just asking about current timeline and plans.

My girlfriend wants to plan something for this weekend, but if the beta branch drops on Thursday, then I will "mysteriously" become ill and spend the weekend pla-- I mean, recovering.

Please explode.

Kind Regards

2/3rds of the Internet

10 hours ago, enragedcamel said:

I'm just asking about current timeline and plans.

So... all we know that the original plan was to launch the preview late june. It`s the last week of june so it`s about that time. Another thing we know is that Klei likes to launch updates on thursdays or tuesdays. There was no patch yesterday. Everybody is expecting it to come tomorrow. If it`s not (and we won`t get any info about why) the forums will likely explode.

Well it`s kinda hard to make plans when we don`t have an exact release date. But what can we do?

23 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

So... all we know that the original plan was to launch the preview late june. It`s the last week of june so it`s about that time. Another thing we know is that Klei likes to launch updates on thursdays or tuesdays. There was no patch yesterday. Everybody is expecting it to come tomorrow. If it`s not (and we won`t get any info about why) the forums will likely explode.

Well it`s kinda hard to make plans when we don`t have an exact release date. But what can we do?

Youtube has suggested several streamers I never watch with a ONI let's play.  They all start with "this is a sponsored video" from Klei and talk about a July release.  if they delay, their marketing dept was not told and has wasted a bunch of money (how much does one of these things pay?)

(That said, I hate watching someone play this game poorly and it does nothing for the game to show all the dups dead after 1 cycle due to idiot game play.) 

16 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Lets wait one more day before exploding.

Sounds good. That will give me another day to finish my steam turbine setup. A true ONI player certainly wouldn't accept knowing about such a release of energy and not try to harvest as much as possible, right ;)

9 minutes ago, Nightinggale said:

Sounds good. That will give me another day to finish my steam turbine setup. A true ONI player certainly wouldn't accept knowing about such a release of energy and not try to harvest as much as possible, right ;)

Seems I am the odd man out then. I never even built a steam turbine. No need. 

40 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Seems I am the odd man out then. I never even built a steam turbine. No need. 

I figure I might as well get something from the waste heat from metal refineries and aquatuners when I don't have the materials to harness that heat for cooking crude oil to petroleum and/or sour gas. 

Just gonna slide in here real quick for a reminder. 

If we have something to say, we say it when it's ready to say. If we haven't said it yet, it's because we're not reasonably sure so we're not ready to say.

So you're rarely going to get "We will say something Thursday" because if we aren't ready to say it yet, that means we're not necessarily ready to say that we will be able to say it by Thursday. 

That being said, we will have something to say Thursday. 

1 hour ago, Oozinator said:

I deactivate my cat, till i get any update/news!

32 minutes ago, Ellilea said:

Welp, things just got serious, devs. You better get right on it!

12 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Just gonna slide in here real quick for a reminder. 

Just to be clear - Oozi deactivating his cat was the trick? See, this is why we're hoping 1.0 has a better tutorial. I would have never guessed the cat was pertinent. 

9 minutes ago, Nightinggale said:

Apparently animal cruelty is rewarded :o

Has nothing to do with "cruelty" it's very helpful, when you have an "active cat" and visit the vet, or paint their claws!
Some vets use grabbing cats, pressing them down with leather gloves/blankets / other tools, causes much stress for the cat and for the vet..

clawi.thumb.jpg.11a35699deaf8cf3e366cc8fe5cc0e85.jpg

Archived