Beta branch for the release patch?

Hello Klei,

Have you planned a beta branch for the release? The time between the current version and the next one is shorter than usual, so I wonder.

Maybe Tuesday May 7th, three weeks before the release? :)

EDIT #3 :

EDIT #2 :

EDIT #1 :

2 hours ago, SamLogan said:

Hello Klei,

Have you planned a beta branch for the release? The time between the current version and the next one is shorter than usual, so I wonder.

Maybe Tuesday April 7th, three weeks before the release? :)

Avril ? ils sont en retard alors :)

Makes me wonder if the devs will prefer to get extensive feedback on the branch as per usual, or if they'd rather keep it all hush hush and slap everyone with the new goodies on the same day.

I'm in the feedback camp cause I'll soon be stuck for almost 2 weeks watching over my parents' cats in a faraway land and I would not mind having some ONI to play :D

Also, I tried asking on the Discord but failed to get a reply - can you continue a save from the beta branch after beta ends?

If the devs have brains, they will let us test it. Its nothing worse than a release full of avoidable bugs, due to recently new changes and added content.

They had thrown everything at us so far, why should they stop now, to maneuver into a release-desaster?

I find this thread to be odd. So far we have had a beta for 2 weeks prior to it being a stable release. It would be really strange if they decide not to do so this time. One thing which would strongly indicate a public test is the fact that we now have official mod support. Modders would require those two weeks to update to whatever changes they might have made to the code. The alternative is a stable release which might kill all mods.

As I agree with most arguments about we having the chance to test 1.0 branch I don't think it will be the case. It would be too good to be true...

Every single recent change in the game was received with mixed opinions to the extreme of having several threads and posts about "I stopped playing because of..."

Some people even disliked the reworked steam turbine...

I mean, it's pretty hard to please everyone and pitchforks are always ready to be wield.

Having said that, I don't believe Klei will risk the overall excitement of release because after all they prepared a bunch of new content. Nothing people wouldn't devour and dissect in less than 3 weeks.

But hey, I want my hands on that too and would be gladly surprised to be wrong!

36 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

As I agree with most arguments about we having the chance to test 1.0 branch I don't think it will be the case. It would be too good to be true...

Every single recent change in the game was received with mixed opinions to the extreme of having several threads and posts about "I stopped playing because of..."

Some people even disliked the reworked steam turbine...

I mean, it's pretty hard to please everyone and pitchforks are always ready to be wield.

Having said that, I don't believe Klei will risk the overall excitement of release because after all they prepared a bunch of new content. Nothing people wouldn't devour and dissect in less than 3 weeks.

But hey, I want my hands on that too and would be gladly surprised to be wrong!

The thing is, the ones who would get their hand on a potential preview branch, are in the vast majority not a new customer. We are existing ones, have bought the game in EA and will not pay an additional dime when the game gets officially launched. It does not matter for us if we get to see an early preview branch or not. The official launch is there mostly for new customers; those you need to impress. Therefore I feel it is so vital the game gets tested on a big scale. It is absolutely imperative that as few bugs and glitches are present at launch, and just going from experience from preview branches, every large content upgrade, and this will probably be the biggest one of all, there have been bugs. There's nothing more crippling than day one bugs.

We will see at 10:30 am PDT (Vancouver time) that's the classic schedule, given today we're exactly 3 weeks before the launch.

It seems legit to have the same beta test period than the other patchs given this one will bring a lot of new stuffs to test (new biomes, creatures, buildings, etc.).

38 minutes ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

The thing is, the ones who would get their hand on a potential preview branch, are in the vast majority not a new customer. We are existing ones, have bought the game in EA and will not pay an additional dime when the game gets officially launched. It does not matter for us if we get to see an early preview branch or not. The official launch is there mostly for new customers; those you need to impress. Therefore I feel it is so vital the game gets tested on a big scale. It is absolutely imperative that as few bugs and glitches are present at launch, and just going from experience from preview branches, every large content upgrade, and this will probably be the biggest one of all, there have been bugs. There's nothing more crippling than day one bugs.

If they have faith in their bug-catching and -squashing capabilities then in not releasing a preview branch they build anticipation for the release and they get higher concurrent users in the days following launch.  Plus they avoid spoiling the story, endgame, and achievements.  In releasing a preview branch they risk Early Access players criticizing one or more or the new features, which could give the impression that the game isn't in a good place right before launch. 

I'm not saying you're wrong for wanting to sink your teeth into new content now or that there isn't upside to letting Early Access players test the new features, but there are legitimate reasons why they'd want to keep whatever it is they've been working on behind closed doors for launch.

4 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

ips.thumb.jpg.f430d38cf84263b545ea8ec85f400cbf.jpgWow!

You actually made me check his posts to verify, you little trickster!

19 minutes ago, goboking said:

If they have faith in their bug-catching and -squashing capabilities then in not releasing a preview branch they build anticipation for the release and they get higher concurrent users in the days following launch.  Plus they avoid spoiling the story, endgame, and achievements.  In releasing a preview branch they risk Early Access players criticizing one or more or the new features, which could give the impression that the game isn't in a good place right before launch. 

I'm not saying you're wrong for wanting to sink your teeth into new content now or that there isn't upside to letting Early Access players test the new features, but there are legitimate reasons why they'd want to keep whatever it is they've been working on behind closed doors for launch.

Ehhh

-First, beyond little bit of pieces of lore, there is no story.
-Second, achievements are a lot easier to implement. I don't think when anybody says "preview testing", they think achievements will be the main concern.
-Third, it's not about me wanting to sink my teeth in. Should I not be able to do a preview test, I will be perfectly fine with that as long as the final product, on launch, is free of bugs and issues.

We'll see. It's ultimately their decisions. A developer or even moderator coming by to bring clarity would atleast be nice. People have been asking for weeks now if there will be final preview branch. They could just say yay or nay and be done with it.

To play the devil's advocate, an argument for why a beta isn't needed:

Many games who were killed because of a buggy day 1 launch had bugs that made the game unplayable in the first 10 hours of gameplay. 
I'm remembering Elder Scrolls Online with entire quest lines that didn't function at all. Most day 1 failed launches though were console games, who had already been printed and they worked with the day 1 patch, the issues were people not downloading it. 

A radiation biome that isn't next to the starting base is not going to affect day 1 players. 
A new building that has ice machine level of DTU deletion needs to be balanced, but isn't going to ruin day 1 players. 
A new critter that doesn't properly obey horizontal pneumatic door rules is something that will only get noticed on this forum. 

The sort of bug complaints that this forum is going to be bombarded with on launch date (going by recent steam forum posts when ONI was on sale recently) will be that priorities don't work since my dupes didn't sweep. AI is broken because my dupe deconstructed the thing I told him to and now he is stuck on the wrong side and suffocating. Pacus are broken because they ate all my algae. Chlorine is bugged because Cl2 should be heavier than CO2. None of the new stuff will come remotely close to being an issue compared to the new player struggle. 

Hopefully as a community we can do a good job at explaining to the new kids how it all works. 
My plea to the Devs, if you are reading this thread - even if there is no beta of the new material, please do let us test any new tutorials you've made for accuracy, and let us test your planned Allergy patch, as that still needs to be fixed before release. 

Well, I think there is no good reason to not do a preview. Most of the secrets of the game are out anyways. Story elements they could add just for the release, but game mechanics? You want those well tested and the earlier the better. And three weeks is a lot of time to fix things, as long as it is not about balance. They did pretty well on the front so far though. Most things people complain about here are minor.

10 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Well, I think there is no good reason to not do a preview.

I kinda feel the same. When you think about it there are very little benefits of not doing it and a lot of potential issues if you don`t.

But humans are a weird species and often don`t do logical stuff. If i was a dev i wouldn`t want to do a preview before a release that adds a solid bit of content. Why? Beacause i`d want the release to feel more "release-y". I`d want the entire playerbase to be hyped for the day and not stuff leaking out and it not being a surprise.

Another thing i want to mention is that new biomes, critters and buildings might use the exisiting code. New biomes will have new resources using the same logic (heat transfer, melting point, hardness) the current use. Critter code is already solid (lifecycle, movement, diet) new ones would behave the same way but with different numbers. Buildings can obey the exisitng input-output logic or the fabricator logic. If no new systems are added there is little room for major bugs.

2 hours ago, Oozinator said:

ips.thumb.jpg.f430d38cf84263b545ea8ec85f400cbf.jpgWow!

You should have edited the date to be the first of April :p

There are forums, which requires a minimum number of posts before users can do certain stuff and they all have problems with spam or spam like posts saying stuff like "I agree". Linking access to forum posts is a bad idea.

If they really want a select few for a preview branch, it would be much better to use something like those who have released mods on Steam, those who have more than 500 hours on Steam etc. I don't really care which criteria they use as long as I'm included :D

Archived