Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

What exactly is the point of “Walking Cane” when Cowbell+Beefalo+Saddle Exists?

Now that You can gather things without dismounting the Beefalo the Walking Sticks seem as outdated as Wheelers Pew Matic horn compared to Walters Slingshots.

Maybe it’s good for boss fights (though toggling between a weapon and a walking cane is a pain on my Xbox Dpad) 

But other then that.. what good are Walking Cane? Beefalo seem to have completely replaced them now.

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

What exactly is the point of “Walking Cane” when Cowbell+Beefalo+Saddle Exists?

For all those who hate effort of taming beefalo and are noodles in taming beefalos. 

(Probably I will just tame one for event, and after I will give it a ride on toothtraps or ananemies)

Edited by Notecja
  • Sad 1
  • Big Ups 1

6 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

But other then that.. what good are Walking Cane? Beefalo seem to have completely replaced them now.

One has no cost the other eats and can die

Edit: and can be upgraded to make a teleport tool that can save you in the worst scenarios

6 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

though toggling between a weapon and a walking cane is a pain on my Xbox Dpad

If you keep your inventory organized is just pressing one buttom

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo

6 minutes ago, Notecja said:

For all those who hate effort of taming beefalo and are noodles in taming beefalos. 

I dunno.. I think fighting the MacTusks for chance at Walking Cane is more hassle then just giving Beefalo a few blades of grass & slapping a saddle on his back.

I mean yes: some of the higher tier saddles (such as the ones requiring Ewecus loot..) those might be harder than cowbell+Beef+Saddle. 

But as for me personally: I would rather just stick a few sticks in his mouth and lead him around the map, you can saddle him and ride him even before he’s fully tame and you can pick things up as you run around the map.

I do love some of the cosmetic looks on walking cane..

Does Walking Cane+Beefalo still increase the Beefalo’s speed?

8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Does Walking Cane+Beefalo still increase the Beefalo’s speed?

Nope but you can telepuff mounted in a beefalo teleporting both player and beef

8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I dunno.. I think fighting the MacTusks for chance at Walking Cane is more hassle

I like to use ice staff to make it easy

There is other methods but ice staff is one of the cheapest and safer ones

Edit: nvm, i just remember that using ranged weapons with controller sucks

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

I dunno.. I think fighting the MacTusks for chance at Walking Cane is more hassle then just giving Beefalo a few blades of grass & slapping a saddle on his back.

I let surrounding kill MacTusk. Tallbirbs and others did it for me. 

How to move a beefalo herd? I had a couple crashes during contest, which duped the beefalo I was taming, so now I want to try to make a pen for them. I've killed adults and left babies alive, but they still insist on walking towards their previous herd location.

And how safe is a beefalo pen? Are they gonna break free? Should I just scrap that idea and repurpose the pen for something else?

3 hours ago, SonicDen220 said:

And how safe is a beefalo pen? Are they gonna break free? Should I just scrap that idea and repurpose the pen for something else?

Loaded Beefalos in heat will destroy fences and walls. That can be avoided if you actually don't change their herd location, just use the Beefalo horn and herd mentality (hitting one and leading all into pen) to move them there. They will however walk in place against the wall trying to get out, and any new members will spawn in the herd point. 

For proper herd movement, I don't know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What does it mean if your taming a Beef and he stops being hungry but isn't yet domesticated ?

I was on about day 10 or 11 brusing once a day and fighting butterflies and spiders most of the day. When not on the beef and he made the hungry sign , I would feed twigs until it stopped. A new day started and he never makes a hungry sign and I never overfeed . He has an ornary face . Just wondering what the heck is going on ?

Is it glitched ? Or did I somehow mess up? Tempted to roll back a few days to when he still signals being hungry and try again. Anyone have any ideas ? I have raised about a dozen beefs in various maps but have run into issues like this a few times recently.

1 hour ago, themightyone said:

snip

At some point, your beef will stop begging for food, bc it will know it will get some (I like to explain it like this) but you have to keep feeding it. It just means you're gonna be finished with taming soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Im having an extremely hard navigating this site on my phone. I have looked everywhere and I cant find the option to manage my skins. I want to add the tesla lantern skin from a funko pop I bought, but I starting to go a little crazy in doing so. 

Where is the manage skins option?

• Big Ups 1

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

I can’t figure it out.. what on earth are the Beefalo dolls good for? I try to give them to judge but he won’t take em.

He appraises the doll, telling you the stats of the skin which you can reference for the beefalo contest. Other than that, you could use it for decor or trade it to PK for 3 gold.

1 hour ago, HowlVoid said:

Im having an extremely hard navigating this site on my phone. I have looked everywhere and I cant find the option to manage my skins. I want to add the tesla lantern skin from a funko pop I bought, but I starting to go a little crazy in doing so. 

Where is the manage skins option?

I believe that you can redeem gift codes in-game, but the website URL is https://accounts.klei.com/account/gift.

Edited by Crestwave
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • GL Happy 1

18 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

On an endless server, can you upgrade the caves portal to a celestial portal as well?

As far as i know, any moon power work on caves. That includes the moon portal but you can upgrade it for decoration (maybe someone can confirm)

Also, the portal can be found in the caves in other kind of servers, no need to be endless if it interest you

• Like 1

I thought smoldering doesn't happen in the oasis desert, but in the past weeks I had some situations where a flower or a birchnut tree began to smolder and the only way this could happen would be summer smoldering (there was no fire or dwarf star around and I am the only player in this world).
The only thing I could think of, is that it always happend near the edge to the ocean water. I have a small ocean water spot in the desert, where the sandstorm stops if you're very close to the water (no, I don't mean the oasis lake). Could this cause the smoldering?

I am playing on console (PS4), so no mods are enabled.

I have a screenshot of the latest smoldering situation in my small bee zone near the ocean. The sandstorm stops here too, When you're very close to the ocean.

oasis-smoldering.thumb.png.89780451089e66f3a0b3ba9c3124ab81.png

2 minutes ago, Frontente said:

The oasis (and i think outside biomes that are covered by the screen)is protected of wildfires if the players are inside of the sandstorm. If you are outside the storm wildfires can be triggered inside the oasis so be careful when you enter and exit the biome

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/8/2021 at 12:37 PM, BezKa said:

At some point, your beef will stop begging for food, bc it will know it will get some (I like to explain it like this) but you have to keep feeding it. It just means you're gonna be finished with taming soon.

Ok thanks. Guess I will plow ahead and finish domestication without rolling back. Playing a solo Wormwood and having an Ornary will be a nice addition.

Edit: ok finally domesticated the sob , but it took 18 days instead of 15?  Not sure why, but 18 days is still better than 20 , so I'll take it lol.

Edited by themightyone
  • Like 1

I’m kind of curious about something because to be honest it upsets me.

How can people say that if Klei added Characters, Mobs & Biomes from DS Shipwrecked/Hamlet that it would kill the sales of Solo Don’t Starve when there are Mods that exist that do it (and for free I might add) for those on PC?

I mean if ANYTHING was going to kill the sales of Single Player Dont Starve it would be completely free mods that take paid content ... and make it well.. Free?

I guess it just upsets me greatly that PC players can ALREADY Play as Walani and Chill Out under Palm Trees with Crabbit- when the only way console players are going to get that same privilege is

1- if Klei eventually adds that content to the game officially..

2- if they somehow pull a miracle and provide limited mod support to console players.

I feel it is unjustified to have people tell me that wanting the content I’ve bought to be compatible with DST would kill sales of DS when others can play content I paid money to enjoy but as a completely free mod.

and probably what hurts the most in all that is Klei has officially acknowledge those mods, and the ones for Gorge/Forge.. as an Xbox player I need y’all to understand that I NEVER GOT TO PLAY FORGE.. But there’s a mod that lets PC players play it any time they want.

So (aside from probably driving the developers nuts with my constant begging for it) What does it hurt for me to ask for & want a few mobs, biomes, playable characters or structures from forge/gorge/Shipwrecked/Hamlet?

I mean one only needs to look at their newest skin pack: I GOT the freaking metal picket fences from the Gorge I had been wanting (can’t afford to buy em yet.. but I GOT THEM! YAY!!!)

So I ask again how could wanting a handful of features, mobs, biomes, playable characters from Shipwrecked/Hamlet possibly kill the sales of DS Solo when there’s literally a free mod that pretty much does that exact same thing already?

It just makes me sad :wilson_cry:

I understand that maybe rerunning the old events aren’t beneficial to Klei: But can I at least get some of the Mobs & features FROM those Events ported over into the base game somewhere?

Because all I can do is look at these lovely vignettes, profile icons, portrait backgrounds- Of Content I NEVER and possibly may never get to enjoy.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

How can people say that if Klei added Characters, Mobs & Biomes from DS Shipwrecked/Hamlet that it would kill the sales of Solo Don’t Starve when there are Mods that exist that do it (and for free I might add) for those on PC?

I mean if ANYTHING was going to kill the sales of Single Player Dont Starve it would be completely free mods that take paid content ... and make it well.. Free?

I guess it just upsets me greatly that PC players can ALREADY Play as Walani and Chill Out under Palm Trees with Crabbit- when the only way console players are going to get that same privilege is

2- if they somehow pull a miracle and provide limited mod support to console players.

I feel it is unjustified to have people tell me that wanting the content I’ve bought to be compatible with DST would kill sales of DS when others can play content I paid money to enjoy but as a completely free mod.

and probably what hurts the most in all that is Klei has officially acknowledge those mods, and the ones for Gorge/Forge.. as an Xbox player I need y’all to understand that I NEVER GOT TO PLAY FORGE.. But there’s a mod that lets PC players play it any time they want.

So (aside from probably driving the developers nuts with my constant begging for it) What does it hurt for me to ask for & want a few mobs, biomes, playable characters or structures from forge/gorge/Shipwrecked/Hamlet?

I mean one only needs to look at their newest skin pack: I GOT the freaking metal picket fences from the Gorge I had been wanting (can’t afford to buy em yet.. but I GOT THEM! YAY!!!)

So I ask again how could wanting a handful of features, mobs, biomes, playable characters from Shipwrecked/Hamlet possibly kill the sales of DS Solo when there’s literally a free mod that pretty much does that exact same thing already?

I understand that maybe rerunning the old events aren’t beneficial to Klei: But can I at least get some of the Mobs & features FROM those Events ported over into the base game somewhere?

Because all I can do is look at these lovely vignettes, profile icons, portrait backgrounds- Of Content I NEVER and possibly may never get to enjoy.

mods have alot more drawbacks than you think.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Ever considered getting a pc or laptop to try mod stuff on DST? It doesn’t even have to be a good one, any old pc can run dst pretty well, and it would allow you to enjoy “that” side of the game.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I feel like you're overestimating the mods that attempt to port this DLC content over. The highest quality one (Island Adventures) was cancelled just a couple days ago before even getting all the content that SW's first early access version had, while the one with the most content (Tropical Experience) takes a ton of large and questionable creative liberties to the point where it's just heavily inspired by SW and Hamlet rather than aiming to be clean ports of that DLC content.

People on PC aren't able to play SW and Hamlet in DST either.

Edited by Sunset Skye
  • Like 6

56 minutes ago, Baguettes said:

Does a Boof leave the server along with you if you have its bell in your inv? Or does it drop the bell like any other follower items?

It leaves with you, yeah. It's an absolute godsend for dedicated servers, now you don't need a dozen salt licks to keep your beef overnight!

I tend to think of the bell like the lavae tooth.

Edited by Crestwave
  • Thanks 1