Sorry, I think Wurt is a B tier character. I don't mean any disrespect and perhaps you change my perspective on the character.
Maxwell has an insane headstart over Wurt. He can chop enough trees to last him all year by the time Wurt has found the swamp and built her merm houses, if she is unlucky she might not even have enough seeds at the start.
These things alone can take a significant amount of time. Wurt should actually hire wild merms and immediately take them to nearby forestry if she wishes to compete with Maxwell.
She does however need to sacrifice time. From the very beginning Wurt is severely gimped with hardly any perks to call her own for the initial search everything is in the swamp. The bulk of it all comes from her interaction with merms and if she is unlucky she could end up finding the swamp until day 3 or longer. What's worse is that Maxwell hasn't even been reworked yet and she struggles to compete with an unpolished Character.
A lot can be decided in 5 days. Though I agree Maxwell ends up losing in the long run because having tons wood can only take you so far in the early game. A good Maxwell is probably down in the ruins anyways using shadow duelist to kite bishops.
Depending on how much wood you need Maxwell may already be done by the time he starts to get outpaced by Wurt.
This means very little. With how food work in the game. Wigfrids life steal ends up probably giving her an enormous edge over Wurt.
Food is probably the most common commodity in the entire game.
This is a good thing actually. Its better for farming nightmare fuel.
The king, in my opinion, is the worst part about Wurt. His stat upgrades are not too meaningful and he needs to be set up twice. I hate that Wurts merms function around the king and not Wurt herself, its a bizarre design choice.
She beats Mawell for sure... Not that its saying much because he hasn't been reworked yet. Maxwell is only a great gatherer at the moment.
Cold isn't exactly a threat..
All you need is a thermal stone, a suncaller staff and decent planing skills to never have to worry about the cold again. These can all be obtained in the first Autumn.
Its nice, but only nice really. Everyone can ignore summer by going underground where there is more to do.
As wurt I never saw the reason to be wet early spring. Though in a multiplayer setting you are correct she is a plus for that. Although rain hats and umbrellas arent exactly hard to come by.
I never try to be wet because his tools still slip. Luckily the eyebrella takes care of the whole season easily.
I think this is an underrated perk of hers for sure. Long term though a rider beef beats her which anyone can have.
Completely agree. In the early game it comes in handy for deerclops if you didnt get a cane in time.
That is pretty cool.
Unfortunately, no. Bunnymen have better dps than merms and their kiting does not work in their advantage. The pro of mermguards is that they are cheeper and have better longevity in lower numbers.
Womwood has the best sanity management in the game and all he has to do is pick it up off the floor. While wurt may gain it faster she cannot do so on her own. Wormwood can also move his sanity up and down at will and by very deliberate amounts.
She has more downsides than that:
1. Merm king trades are rng
2. Her merms are very susceptible to aoe attacks.
3. Her merms have a severe lack of animations and poor a.i.
4. The Merm king has to be set-up both aboveground and below
5. She has no real synergy with her merms only being allowed to befriend them. She actually loses a bit of loyalty when the merm king is up.
6. She has to work around the things she builds rather than the other way around.
7. She is forced to interact with the ocean. Perhaps even wasting her early wood for a ship if there is not enough kelp around the shore (not to mention waste time exploring the whole World's shore)
With multiplayer balance is thrown out the window.
These are dicey for any character.
Leaky shack are very strong for her early game.
I think she is B tier for a few more reasons:
1. The first main logger everyone has access to his deerclops not bearger. Deerclops always get me enough wood for my first few chests in a single day. Pig houses are a one shop stop of armor, weapons, planks, slabs and food.
2. Wurt is tied early game to the swamp and its structures. She needs a lot of set up time to do what Wendy can do in one Season (kill beequeen and dragonfly). Unless your into Megabasing wood is only going to get you so far.
3. Wurts perks need maintenance. A merm king, followers, and to build up numbers. while to most characters their perks are given to them for free from the start.
4. When it comes to bosses with aoe's she is Wilson.
Every character is S in the late game because catapults/bunnymen/cheesestrats/bone armor/etc
Yup, ×1.0 damage multiplier.
Willow has bernie from the get go.
Wormwood has his on demand speed and easy to make darkswords.
Woody has waremoose, possible early glasscutter amd darkswords
Winona has catapults
Wicker has on tentacle (They have flaws though)
Wortox can up his dps by teleporting
Wx-78 is iffy he has to work hard for that 50% speed and it not reliable to get consistently throughout the year.
Wurt can only compare to Maxwell, Wes, Webber, Wilson, and to some degree Walter
Her utility is very limited to chopping and mining both which become completely irrelevant in the late game thanks to bearger and the forest walker.