Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

On 1/18/2021 at 11:25 AM, EirikGerhard said:

What are curious uses for the Houndious Shootious? Being a rather expensive structure, I hardly ever see it being put to use in extraordinary ways.

Normally you see it being used to:

- Cheese the AFW using lureplants

- Safe-zones to deal with hounds

More exciting uses of it that I've seen on streams:

- Use an excessive amount of them to kill Dragonfly

- Kill Antlion without having to battle her directly

Things I've used a couple of Houndious shootius for:

- Dealing with 2xPhase 2 (rook and knight) and 1xPhase 3 (knight or rook) shadow pieces

- Farm MacTusk

I was just wondering if you had any ideas! Now that I think of it, maybe I could wall a couple of them to farm Slurtles :wilson_lightbulb:

I've tried them in most scenarios. I've seen people said they use with tentapillar and antlion, but for me those 2 option didn't seem viable. The tentapilar spawns tentacles right underneath the houndius even if he s far enough so he barely targets the tentacle. I was afraid this would kill the houndius so gave up on using it on tentapillar, if someone has more exp w this i'd like some tips too. For antlion same deal, he spawns sandspikes further away and destroys the shootius.

Slurtles and Snurlt;es are a little annoying to farm, bc they will get into the shell when the houndius "charges" and by the time they hit they are inside the shell. Still, can work, but it's a little slow.

I haven't tried shadow pieces, but given the bishop and rook aoe I expect it to be quite risky. For warlus idk, I'm sure they'd work but it feels a little wastefull for me.

I do like spamming them on dfly indeed, I got 24 at her in my current world, it's fun.

They are the best thing to use for Hound traps by far, and good for bunnymen farm, but since the nerf, meh.

Another great use is or goats and milk farming. They are also good in case your goats get charged in spring, as they will target the houndius if it's nearby and not break your walls. I usually go with a goat area with 4 pens and 4 houndius in the middle. For milk farming during daytime, I just hit them with electric darts and wait for the houndius to finish.

They to a quick job of goose and mosslings too, ofc u need a couple but the Goose won't damage them too much. The mosslings will initially target the 1 houndius that dealt the killing blow to moose.

For beequeen you probably need a lot to make sure none will die, as the grumblebees tend to group up on one of them. I only tried with about 10 and decided it's not enough, might try it out with a bunch more later.

Okay seriously, it’s Tuesday, the game gets updates on Tuesday right?? When is Year of the Beefalo starting?! It is still WF on my Xbox One and the only reason I can think that Klei opted to leave WF going for PS/Xbox is that Steam skins can be sold/traded to other players- but console players can only unravel or use them in trade inn.

Im thankful for the extended length of WF but I’m ready for the new update now.. 

The Xbox Live Events app says WF will end on the 22nd. But I expect it to end sooner so Year of Beef can get started. :) 

either way- there’s only 12 more days left in the month so it’s gotta happen soon!

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Okay seriously, it’s Tuesday, the game gets updates on Tuesday right??

Iirc the game gets the more major updates on Thursdays, not Tuesdays. Year of the Varg released in early February, so the event might not even release in January. Hopefully it releases soon, though. 

• Sad 1

On 1/18/2021 at 12:43 PM, PeiperPires said:

Basically, once you send the safety goat away, it will always be trying to go back to the heard's original place, due to how moving heard's work. Since the safety goat will keep the heard existing, more goats will keep spawning to complete the heard in the original spot. Then you fence off the heard's spawn and plant the anenemies. Goats respawn off screen and anenemies can work off screen, so you got yourself an automatic farm. That's how I understand it at least.

Here's the video I watched about it:

https://youtu.be/xAtcFVhD8VQ

Just watched, actually pretty easy and not at all time consuming. Going to attempt to make my own goat farm today.

Edited by GelatinousCube
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Any good ways to get fish and frog legs to make fish cordon bleu? I'm having trouble amassing a reasonable amount in a reasonable timeframe.

I have an area with like 8 Merm houses and I think 6 Bunny Hutches where they just continuously fight. Merms and Bunnies don't eat meat so the drops are safe. I get a decent amount of frog legs and fish from this setup and don't ever have to go fishing or killingfrogs.

Okay seriously: Why can Wendy even still craft Abigail flowers? 

Pre-Rework you had to rescue Abigails flower from whatever dangerous location she died in.. or craft a new flower, you also had to wait several day for the flower to bloom again before you could even Summon Abigail.

Now with her Rework though that flower never leaves Wendy’s inventory even through death, so unless your playing PVP or just carelessly misplace it.. you should never need to craft another Abigail flower.

And why did they make it so you can summon Abigail at anytime now instead of having to wait for the flower to bloom before being able to summon her?

13 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Why can Wendy even still craft Abigail flowers? 

As you said, she drops it if she dies. The flower is still flammable, so if you die by a Fire Hound or some random uncontrolled fire, you would be completely out of luck to recover it if you couldnt craft it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Maybe a dog said:

As you said, she drops it if she dies. The flower is still flammable, so if you die by a Fire Hound or some random uncontrolled fire, you would be completely out of luck to recover it if you couldnt craft it.

That actually makes sense, thanks! 

Another question I have is why does Wes not warn the player of incoming hound waves? I get that he can’t talk... but I’m pretty sure if I heard Dogs barking in the distance or heavy monster breathing that I would be doing some monkey motions or something to warn everyone danger is inbound.

Its pretty Stupid honestly: I sometimes have no choice but to play with my TV’s volume on Mute (because my game console is in a room where others sleep) To play as Wes requires needing sound to hear the dumb warnings 

So is he a mute & also deaf at the same time? Also why can’t he read signs that players place down either? Those things are kinda important.. Especially if I put one up that reads something like “Please don’t pluck these flowers..” Does Wes not know how to read either?

I WANT to like Wes as a character he has some really really good skins but all of these things seem like ANNOYANCES rather than unique challenges.

To clarify: Wes’s inability to say anything when hound waves are approaching relies on being able to HEAR the game, and if you can’t hear the game for reasons like the ones I listed above... your screwed.

So my last question: Why hasn’t Klei added a “Actions Caption” to the game yet?

so instead of having to rely on hearing audio cues I can read on my screen something like 

“Heavy Deerclops Breathing..” “Hounds Barking in distance” “Heavy stomping” Etc.

Captions for the games Audio itself & not the character quotes.

Edited by Mike23Ua

5 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Another question I have is why does Wes not warn the player of incoming hound waves? I get that he can’t talk... but I’m pretty sure if I heard Dogs barking in the distance or heavy monster breathing that I would be doing some monkey motions or something to warn everyone danger is inbound.

No talking means no hints for dangers

10 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

No talking means no hints for dangers

So your wanting me to honestly believe that if Wes heard hungry hounds barking and his friends were too busy doing something else to hear their incoming doom that he wouldn’t take the large fish he just fished up out the water rush over to them and smack them in the face with a trout spinning them around backwards pointing in the direction of the hungry hounds?

(but by the time he did all that it would probably be too late :lol:)

Edited by Mike23Ua

5 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

So your wanting me to honestly believe that if Wes heard hungry hounds barking and his friends were too busy doing something else to hear their incoming doom that he wouldn’t take the large fish he just fished up out the water rush over to them and smack them in the face with a trout spinning them around backwards pointing in the direction of the hungry hounds?

(but by the time he did all that it would probably be too late :lol:)

Will be fun to see to be honest, i love his mime stuff xd

• GL Happy 1

On 1/18/2021 at 12:43 PM, PeiperPires said:

Basically, once you send the safety goat away, it will always be trying to go back to the heard's original place, due to how moving heard's work. Since the safety goat will keep the heard existing, more goats will keep spawning to complete the heard in the original spot. Then you fence off the heard's spawn and plant the anenemies. Goats respawn off screen and anenemies can work off screen, so you got yourself an automatic farm. That's how I understand it at least.

Here's the video I watched about it:

https://youtu.be/xAtcFVhD8VQ

thanks again, I just followed the video's instructions and am really hoping I did it correctly! Going to check it in a bit and see

EDIT: Its working!! Only received one piece of stale meat so far :P but there is a new goat in the pen so I know its working.

Edited by GelatinousCube
  • Like 1

Does the Beefalo Horn spawn new Beefalo? I’m starting to think that it does because I had Bearger come through and kill every single Beefalo in my Beefalo Savannah & sad & out of desperation I picked up their left over horns using their mating call feature: Sure enough a few days later Beefalo were roaming the area again!

I thought Beefalo were one of those mobs that once it goes extinct is gone from your worlds for good.. but this appears to work. 

Also does the Beefalo Horn count as sounds that help with plant growth for the RWYS Gardens?

20 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Does the Beefalo Horn spawn new Beefalo? I’m starting to think that it does because I had Bearger come through and kill every single Beefalo in my Beefalo Savannah & sad & out of desperation I picked up their left over horns using their mating call feature: Sure enough a few days later Beefalo were roaming the area again!

I thought Beefalo were one of those mobs that once it goes extinct is gone from your worlds for good.. but this appears to work. 

Also does the Beefalo Horn count as sounds that help with plant growth for the RWYS Gardens?

First question, I'm unsure but I don't really think so? Maybe there's more in-depth mechanics to them..

Regarding Second question, yep. They contribute to plant happiness with a large tending range.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Unless its some crazy hidden mechanic I don't think this is possible.. herds that go extinct stay extinct, maybe there was another or a beefalo survived offscreen and repopulated? *shrug*

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Any good ways to get fish and frog legs to make fish cordon bleu? I'm having trouble amassing a reasonable amount in a reasonable timeframe.

Using merms is probably the best long term solution, but I find it easy enough to fish  ~20 eels at the toad spawner, and frog legs I usually have excess from frog rains, so fish is the thing I generally miss for cordon bleu. I'm used to bundle the ones i fish from the oasis too, and whenever I get to 40 I cook them with legs. I'm also gathering big fish at the malbatross spawner, will eventually use those for cordon bleu's too once i fill up the fishing bins.

4 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

Unless its some crazy hidden mechanic I don't think this is possible.. herds that go extinct stay extinct, maybe there was another or a beefalo survived offscreen and repopulated? *shrug*

Can someone on PC please check to see if it’s in the files or something? I am certain that Bearger killed them all out and I was able to use the horns to call more to spawn.

Does the mode of play also impact rather they Respawn using the horn or not? I always play on “Endless” since that’s the mode most my friends prefer to play on.

31 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Can someone on PC please check to see if it’s in the files or something? I am certain that Bearger killed them all out and I was able to use the horns to call more to spawn.

Does the mode of play also impact rather they Respawn using the horn or not? I always play on “Endless” since that’s the mode most my friends prefer to play on.

They just... don't do that. It's possible that one Beefalo was somehow alive and far away from the rest of the herd, which would cause it to eventually go into mating season on its own and then spawn in more Beefalo waaay over at the actual herd point, causing the illusion of Beefalo appearing out of thin air. Other than that though, it 100% is definitely not a feature for Beefalo horns to spawn Beefalo.

• Like 6

What happens to tumbleweeds that roll out of the desert? Do they eventually despawn? My Dfly desert is connected to 2 other biomes and i often see tumbleweeds in them but im too lazy to demount and go after them. 

If they dont despawn is there a cap to how many tumbleweeds a spawner can generate? like do they not spawn new ones untill they're all picked? cuz my dfly desert barely has any tumbleweeds at the edges and ive never experienced this in worlds where the desert is more isolated 

Edited by Ohan

4 minutes ago, Ohan said:

What happens to tumbleweeds that roll out of the desert? Do they eventually despawn? My Dfly desert is connected to 2 other biomes and i often see tumbleweeds in them but im too lazy to demount and go after them. 

If they dont despawn is there a cap to how many tumbleweeds a spawner can generate? like do they not spawn new ones untill they're all picked? cuz my dfly desert barely has any tumbleweeds at the edges and ive never experienced this in worlds where the desert is more isolated 

they fall into the sea after a while. it is why if you want to break them you should do it soonish XD i've lost a fair few to the water because i got over there just a little bit too late