Walter & Woby Arrive June 15th!

On 6/11/2020 at 4:55 AM, ConvexCaribou23 said:

However, there is one thing that dissapoints me, Woby. Woby acts like a portable chest (*cough cough* chester *cough cough*), which is a role already taken. Also Woby doesn't look original, he's cute and all, but here's the thing: One thing I love about this game is the originality and how everything is taken literally, for example, tallbirds, they are birds, with really tall legs, grass gekkos, they are geckos, made of grass, chester, a chest that is also a dog, volt goats, they are goats, that are literally electric, etc. But Wobby, he's just a dog (at least that's what he looks like). I'm really hoping that once Walter is released that Woby isn't just a plain old dog that acts like a chester and beefalo mash-up.

Woby most likely comes from outside the constant, so she can't really be anything else than a normal dog

Walter is Allergic to Bees and no matter the Armor you wear won’t help.... I’m curious to see how that works, my brother is equally allergic to bees and One sting can be enough to put him in the Hospital, it is actually a rare Allergy (to be THAT Allergic to Bee’s) but I’m thinking Bee’s for Walter won’t be that drastic it’ll likely just deal more damage to him regardless of if he wears a bee hat or not... But what it SHOULD Do is apply a damage over time effect to Walters Health Core.. which bleeds his HP’s out until he crafts an antidote.

My Brother will puff up with nasty looking rashes and his face will swell up making him unable to breath (Hence the immediate ER Visit afterwards) 

I don’t know HOW Allergic Walter will be to Bees but if it’s intended to be extreme like my brothers case, just ignoring Armor isn’t going to be enough.

My brother also probably loses sanity any time he even hears a flys wings buzzing by his ear thinking it’s a Bee... but yeah.

Ive noticed that a handful of people are bashing experienced members (myself included) just because they have critique that is anything lower than "You guys did an amazing job, this character is perfect.". Said experience allows players to formulate speculation of how the character plays based on text, and what similar things they have experienced before (mods are a decent example of this). When literally any other popular game releases stats of something or someone early, you can guarantee that a large portion of the community is dissecting it and discussing it, talking about what sounds good and what worries them. Why is this suddenly not allowed for DST?

The whole "Veteran bad" mindset is fairly common here on the forums, and its quite frankly toxic. Yes, we're aware that most players can't survive past first winter, but we are part of the playerbase too.

I want to call attention to - and pick apart - this post in particular.

3 hours ago, Clawder said:

I see a lot of experienced players here complaining already when the character's numbers are still to be seen.
Others because his abilities are "nothing new" or "taken from the workshop".

To all of them I ask: what's up with you?

The content of the workshop exists because of all the possibilities KLEI MADE POSSIBLE. Anything that you can find in mods is something Klei could add without being unoriginal. (1) Also you are complaining about sanity being irrelevant BECAUSE YOU ALREADY KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH IT.

New and casual players are not the type who can just ignore the sanity stat. This is like when people complain about others not beating winter.
Yes, some of us don't sink hours upon hours into the game. Yes, some of us are eternal noobs.

(2) Stop being so negative and form an opinion AFTER the character is released and without the mentality that this was a character made for you. It wasn't.

This is pretty much exactly what I'm talking about.

(1) Sounds like knowing how to nullify a mechanic is our fault, and not the mechanic's, apparently. The problem isn't that we know how to deal with it. The problem is that the method of dealing with it is extremely menial.

(2) Again, when you have experience you are able to form a logical assumption on how a character will play if you are presented with the abilities of said character. Also "the character isn't made for you" is super gatekeepy and very unwarranted. We love this game enough to stick around, and give enough of a damn to pick apart the details of the new content and give honest criticism, but we're the bad guys for doing so. Alrighty.

5 hours ago, Nikki Darks said:

Also, it was very obvious that a child scout character would be useless without over the top perks that make no sense, so no wonder his dog is just a copy pasted version of Bernie.

Like, did u even read, are u even serious? :D There s nothing in common between him and Bernie. Making claims like this makes everything else u say worthless, despite maybe having some actual points i cannot take you seriously.

Walter sounds interesting for me :)

1 hour ago, Canis said:

The problem is that the method of dealing with it is extremely menial.

What downside isn't menial for experienced players though? Sanity is the common target for this kind of thing, but once you got certain recipes down it's not like health or hunger are issues either.

1 hour ago, Canis said:

Also "the character isn't made for you" is super gatekeepy and very unwarranted.

This is the exact same thing anyone who complains about Warly/Wormwood being too niche get, yeah?

Ultimately I agree with what you've said but these are my prominent thoughts.

30 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

I just realized that Woby probably follows Walter into the caves, and the ruins, so you have yourself an unkillable hutch all the time in the ruins!

i doubt he will be unkillable, but indeed sounds like a nice advantage :)

7 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

1. What downside isn't menial for experienced players though? Sanity is the common target for this kind of thing, but once you got certain recipes down it's not like health or hunger are issues either.

2. This is the exact same thing anyone who complains about Warly/Wormwood being too niche get, yeah?

Ultimately I agree with what you've said but these are my prominent thoughts.

1. I think this boils down to the core design of DST. Sanity is the easiest target so it's most commonly used as an example.

2. You right. It's a matter of tone I suppose.

I agree with Canis' earlier comment. I'm not that experienced yet (more closer to intermediate in abilities), but I do think that having different forms of feedback is important in making the game grow in a positive direction. That being said, let me also throw my 2 cents in here:

• I'm kinda hoping for scaling debuffs on the character for sanity penalty after taking damage; something like -5/min on day 1 versus -20/min on day 71+ might present interesting challenges for those hoping to learn the game, and for those who just want to get a fair challenge in endgame scenarios. 
  • Walter looks both beginner-friendly and veteran-friendly in my opinion, since Woby helps with inventory management and Walter himself heavily encourages players to kite. Sort of like the opposite of Wigfrid and Wendy's playstyles with beginner players, which is to tank everything in sight. Playing the game as a Maxwell main made me very conscious of the decisions and risks I was taking at all times, and I'm sure that Walter would encourage people to think harder about those aspects too.
  • The first ranged character in Together mode! It might open up a whole new arena for the combat system, or it might be an interesting attempt at livening up the current system with more potential to be done better in the future. I like the freshness of the idea though, props to Klei; I just hope that Walter may prove to be good enough to justify team-based ranged combat support.
  • Having an incentive towards using sleeping equipment can allow newer players to explore this mechanic a fair bit more; I like that more players are gonna try to use this underused resource.
  • I sure as heck hope that everyone can sleep in the portable tents. (cough cough Warly's cooking pots cough)
  • Bee Queen fights are gonna be interesting here! It's almost like an opposite of Wendy's characteristics, where she just blenders all the grumble bees for the team; Walter's gonna need to think through this one much more, especially if he doesn't plan on going insane. I wonder who's gonna do the first Bee Queen Walter rush.
  • Walter's gonna start losing sanity for 80-90% of people after around day 7, when the first hound wave hits. I like how this mechanic gives very new players more time to explore without dying to crawling horrors in the first couple of days, but it also makes me worry about how big of a sanity penalty it's gonna end up being. Any percentage would likely not be a problem for the veteran players, but striking a balance between them and the newer players is decidedly going to be harder.
  • Giant Woby feels like a discount beefalo, and I like that. Beefalos are so darn hard to tame, and I honestly can't be bothered to do it even in my biggest world. Being able to explore this mechanic, albeit with glaring drawbacks over its ornery friend, is still gonna be fun.
  • The campfire! Neat idea, probably not gonna be fully negated sanity loss, but eh it'll calm the nerves of the irl players. I just can't wait to see Walter absurdly belting out a tune while half the camp gets chased around by nightmares.
  • Other players do mention that there are monsters with bigger sanity drains, and how that's supposed to affect the fight. What about getting hit by Deerclops? Fuelweaver? Toadstool? Is this going to hurt sanity only a bit because of a fixed sanity drain (which seems to debuff the bosses a lot), or are we nearing towards unforgiving sanity losses because of the higher skill ceilings involved with this character? These ideas all sound fun to explore.

Klei outdone themselves again. Glad to see that I'm supporting the right company with my spare cash. 

Could there be clarification on the campfire perk? Like, are you able to tell stories with ANY fireplace structure like fire pits/endo fire pits, or is it SPECIFICALLY campfire-exclusive? 

Also, I think the campfire-story perk is interesting. Usually, people like standing near the fire pit at base waiting out the night, which is counter-productive. But now it seems like there's an incentive to do just that now (assuming the perk works on any fireplace structure).

Archived