Walter & Woby Arrive June 15th!

Wonderful! I love playing DST and now there are two more friends in the W squad. It is also about time they released free characters as the most recent one being Warly. Thanks again Klei for the free characters and I'll see you on the other side. ;)

12 hours ago, Canis said:

This is pretty much exactly what I'm talking about.

I mean, sorry if you think this applies to you, since your original post here wasn't even one of the cases. I'm completely ok with people not being hyped for the character or skeptical because of his abilities. I'm even ok with people saying they straight up don't like the character and think it was an uneeded addition.

What I'm NOT ok though, is verbal attacks that bash Klei for their content.

The wording of "wow, this is a waste of a character slot" or "this feels like a low effort workshop character" is not only negative, but harmful too. I don't think that veterans like you should keep their opinion to themselves, since that's what forums are for to begin with. But the thing is, the vast majority of people who complain about updates are the ones who have already mastered the game. They want new mechanics, biomes, bosses and more; and they are not satisfied with these updates for new or casual players.

To keep it simple: it's ok to not like the character and to have a different opinion from others, as long as said opinion is criticism and not straight-up complaint.
I will repeat myself in case I wasn't clear enough: you are not part of the problem and I'm pretty sure many in this forum will agree that we like your takes on this forum, my post was not meant to be pointed at all veterans.

Okay look.. THIS is really bothering me. 
the And More in this... a post that already covers details about a new character, new twitch drops and new skins... WTH could And More mean? O.o

It could mean nothing and I’m just jumping to conclusions and over thinking it, OR it could mean EVERYTHING! :D 

Four days left of waiting to go guys.

65F78D4A-6A1A-4908-9E5C-01F034E6C75C.jpeg

Just now, Mike23Ua said:

the And More in this... a post that already covers details about a new character, new twitch drops and new skins... WTH could And More just jumping to conclusions and over thinking it, OR it could mean EVERYTHING! :D 

I'm thinking at most they'll probably announce what they're working on next, whether that be the next RoT update, or confirming a new character refresh is in the works, or something else entirely. :wilson_curious:

4 minutes ago, Lumberlocke said:

I'm thinking at most they'll probably announce what they're working on next, whether that be the next RoT update, or confirming a new character refresh is in the works, or something else entirely. :wilson_curious:

Personally hoping for a new rotation of Klei Rewards.. I want that Mad Moxxi hat. 

14 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Okay look.. THIS is really bothering me. 
the And More in this... a post that already covers details about a new character, new twitch drops and new skins... WTH could And More mean? O.o

It could mean nothing and I’m just jumping to conclusions and over thinking it, OR it could mean EVERYTHING! :D 

Four days left of waiting to go guys.

65F78D4A-6A1A-4908-9E5C-01F034E6C75C.jpeg

I think it will be a "Big pile of spools" on Klei Rewards.:wilson_wink:

Screenshot_2020-06-11 Klei Account.png

A few speculation things I can read from the description:

• Slingshot:
Spoiler
18 hours ago, JoeW said:

Special Slingshot ammo

• Freeze (similar to the ice staff)
  • Slow-Down Rounds (reduces the target’s movement speed)
  • Poop Pellets (causes the target to stop attacking you)
  • Cursed Rounds (spawns shadow tentacles)

At no point this leads me to believe that the ranged attacks will deal damage directly. Or if they do, it could be a tiny-pointless damage.
The slingshot seems more like a crowd control weapon, specially the first 3 type of pellets, and (if I am correct) the only pellet that will deal damage (indirectly) could be the cursed rounds due to the summoned tentacle giving a few hits to immobile enemies before despawning, and not by the pellet itself. 

Judging from the usual behavior of the shadow tentacles they last very little, so I'd assume this will be the most expensive pellet in order to spawn a mini field of tentacles and keep them spawning as they die, and will work well with slow or stationary enemies. The slowing effect or the freezing effects of the other pellets may help on this as well for other types of enemies.

• General fighting, and sanity
Spoiler
18 hours ago, JoeW said:

Is not afraid of anything, except getting hurt

• Does not lose sanity from the dark, being near giants, etc
  • Will lose sanity every time he takes damage
  • Will continue to slowly lose sanity while health is below 100%

He seems to be able to lose sanity constantly as long as he is hurt. It doesn't specify that the more hurt larger the sanity loss, so we can assume its a flat number, but we'll have to wait and see.

Dark Sword, night armor, casting deconstruction staves or starcallers, etc, they will all drain sanity to him as well apparently as they are not sanity auras. How I think the fights will go is by shooting pellets of different types, to make enemies lose aggro, freeze or slow them while running around, then coming close and personal to fight enemies one by one with any regular weapon.
Woby is stated to not like fights and to buckle you down when you get attacked, so beyond shooting pellets or any other ranged weapon while mounted, I don't think it will work for fights. You'd have to get an actual beefalo for proper mounted fighting.

The bee queen crown may have no effect on him, as other characters that are less afraid of things (like Wortox or Wendy) already have a diminished effect from the bee queen crown as well. So no negative sanity aura = no negative positive aura. Unless they patch this just for him.

• Allergy
Spoiler
18 hours ago, JoeW said:

Allergic to bees

• Takes extra damage from bees, this damage is not reduced by armour

This may be a huge thing against bee queen, specially if the queen itself and the grumbles are also labeled as "bees" for his allergy. It would mean that he has to take a lot of healing items for the fight, or just stand in a side and use his pellets to help his friends/other mobs during the fight. He will also lose a lot of sanity as well, due to how tanking plays a big role in this fight.

• Woby
Spoiler
18 hours ago, JoeW said:
  • Big Woby can be ridden by Walter (like a domesticated beefalo)
  • Woby only eats monster meat
  • Feeding small Woby enough monster meat will transform her into her big form
  • Woby will revert to her small form when starving

This seems like a trade of monster meat for faster early game exploration, sort of like Woodie's weregoose mechanic but with less risk (no hunger at the end, can still craft and do things) and less reward (no nightvision, and no waterwalking). If Woby is faster than the cane speed it could be useful in the late game as well. 
I really hope big Woby is faster than cane speed, or if it is not (let's say it gives 1.15 faster speed) it could stack with the cane's speed so you can "upgrade" it in the late game. 
If it is not faster than a cane or does not stack with any other speed boost, then it will not be used beyond the early exploration. It will still work as a portable chest so that's handy at any point in the game.

• The other perks: seem just cool small perks which are fine. It looks like a fun character overall, and builder players may specially like this character as he has more room to carry stuff than anyone else, and as long as his HP is full he will never have sanity issues, letting your head slot free to wear an eyebrella or a beefalo hat while still keeping all the carrying slots (krampus sack, shadow chester, etc).

12 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

This seems like a trade of monster meat for faster early game exploration, sort of like Woodie's weregoose mechanic but with less risk (no hunger at the end, can still craft and do things) and less reward (no nightvision, and no waterwalking). If Woby is faster than the cane speed it could be useful in the late game as well. 
I really hope big Woby is faster than cane speed, or if it is not (let's say it gives 1.15 faster speed) it could stack with the cane's speed so you can "upgrade" it in the late game. 
If it is not faster than a cane or does not stack with any other speed boost, then it will not be used beyond the early exploration. It will still work as a portable chest so that's handy at any point in the game.

Don't forget the suspicious marbles. Being able to immediately carry suspicious marbles without going through the trouble of making a saddle and taming a beefalo sounds pretty nifty. 

It seems like he's going to be taking massive sanity damage per hit considering he even has a hat to reduce the amount he takes from combat.

That aside I more so understand why he gets a mobile storage the more I think about it just his slingshot and special ammos alone would take up 5 slots and this isn't including monster meat for woby, his hat, portable tent, basic tools and food. I still love that we're getting a sabatouer character but I really hope his pellet do somewhat decent damage too tho it'd be nice to have a viable way to do ranged combat that doesn't take extreme levels of prep or console commands.

Edit: I'm also really curious if his pellets are going to work against giants

Hey Klei, if your going to overload a character like this, then you need to atleast give Warly two more slots in his chief hat

Increase the sanity drain per dug up bush on wormwoodn And reduce the amount of seaweed    it takes to create a diy merm king kit. Another wickerbottom, wormwood tier character that Doesn't have quirky flaws, pfft

Sweet! time to woke some ancient cursed god and form the Ultimate tentacle team Walter/Wickerbottom on the run bois.

Spoiler

You can't spell tentacles without tent. I SEE.

WOODIE LORE? What timeline is this?! Also thanks for the hard work Klei ♥

34 minutes ago, clayblob2 said:

Increase the sanity drain per dug up bush on wormwoodn And reduce the amount of seaweed    it takes to create a diy merm king kit. Another wickerbottom, wormwood tier character that Doesn't have quirky flaws, pfft

He has cons, he will most likely get to 0 sanity fast if you tank damage, adding the terrorbeaks problem to your already kiting problem. In some cases having terrorbeaks around 24/7 becomes incredibly annoying, to say the least. Also in a normal play-through and until I'm already well established I'm always NOT at 100% hp, Walter will penalize that behavior, which is something new.

If the current mechanic of sanity auras remains as it is now, The bee queen crown will be useless for him (which is a big thing) and if his bee allergy behaves how I think it may, fighting the bee queen could potentially be a true pain in the "derriere", so having an already harder access to jellybeans is another big thing.

@JoeW Is the reward spool link working properly even though it shows the same message (picture below) every time I click it?kuva.thumb.png.a8b7a6b3bfd47ef23b71ea77a93b67ee.png

I didn't check how many spools  I had before, so I have no idea if I got more after I clicked the link for the first time. However, the previous reward link clearly stated that I've already clicked it and collected the rewards, and for my friend it worked perfectly this time too. Is everything going as it should?

1 hour ago, clayblob2 said:

Hey Klei, if your going to overload a character like this, then you need to atleast give Warly two more slots in his chief hat

wormwood without downsides?

17 hours ago, Canis said:

Ive noticed that a handful of people are bashing experienced members (myself included) just because they have critique that is anything lower than "You guys did an amazing job, this character is perfect.". Said experience allows players to formulate speculation of how the character plays based on text, and what similar things they have experienced before (mods are a decent example of this). When literally any other popular game releases stats of something or someone early, you can guarantee that a large portion of the community is dissecting it and discussing it, talking about what sounds good and what worries them. Why is this suddenly not allowed for DST?

The whole "Veteran bad" mindset is fairly common here on the forums, and its quite frankly toxic. Yes, we're aware that most players can't survive past first winter, but we are part of the playerbase too.

When your arguments are essentially "Charlie didn't reach through my monitor and punch me in the face just for existing, too OP plz nerf" it's hard to take you seriously. Yes, you're part of the playerbase, but you aren't the majority of players. Most people (myself included) aren't the type to like difficulty so hard root canals are preferable.

Those that do can use mods. I believe you wrote one yourself just for that, yes?

6 minutes ago, Monkey Cups said:

When your arguments are essentially "Charlie didn't reach through my monitor and punch me in the face just for existing, too OP plz nerf" it's hard to take you seriously. Yes, you're part of the playerbase, but you aren't the majority of players. Most people (myself included) aren't the type to like difficulty so hard root canals are preferable.

Those that do can use mods. I believe you wrote one yourself just for that, yes?

Thanks for being the EXACT type of person I was talking about.

Archived