Walter & Woby Arrive June 15th!

17 minutes ago, Bluegeist said:

@JoeW Does Walter count as one of the 4 dlc characters planned? Curious as he is the only newbie that's free!

See, I always thought Warly was one of the refreshes as he was called as such, as opposed to Wormy who was released around the same time as the DLC

Klei said in the 2020 Roadmap thing that they weren't going to do a specific amount of new characters. 4 were initially planned, but it seems they could totally do *more* in the future, if they felt it would be a good idea (so don't give up hope yet, Charlie fans)

But if we stick by the 4 character plan, I think everyone came to an agreement that Warly does NOT count as one of the 4 DLC characters, being classified as a refresh. Despite Warly not actually existing in DST before that point. In retrospect, it does seem sort of weird that Warly, who was completely revamped is just a refresh, but Wormwood was pretty much straight ported and counts as a DLC addition.

I'm not actually sure if Walter would count as #4 though. He's been stated to be a DLC character, leading up to this point. But now he's free. And... he doesn't fit in with the rest of the DLC cast at all. 

I personally think we should stop thinking about this with that mindset. Walter is simply just another addition to the game. Another character. Kind of like how Wagstaff was just randomly added into singleplayer. Just a new addition to our core cast.

2 hours ago, JoeW said:
    • Cursed Rounds (spawns shadow tentacles)

This makes me really curious who this guy is...  Cursed rounds?

Also I really like his theme.  He sounds like a great addition to the roster!  Looking forward to this.

9 minutes ago, ConvexCaribou23 said:

Was Warly added in DST before the roadmap? I thought he was new to DST only after the roadmap, I thouht he came after Wortox. If not, my bad then, oopsy :P

As you thought Warly was added to DST after Wortox. It just gets confusing as he is new to DST, but is technically considered a refresh, meanwhile Wormwood was also new to DST, but was a paid DLC.

4 minutes ago, Bluegeist said:

As you thought Warly was added to DST after Wortox. It just gets confusing as he is new to DST, but is technically considered a refresh, meanwhile Wormwood was also new to DST, but was a paid DLC.

Yeah, it's kind of confusing, Wormwood was a paid DLC, but he aslo got reworked (less than Warly, but still)

Edit: I just checked, Warly was indeed released after Wortox (Wortox march 28th and Warly July 15th), this just makes me more confused XD

As I said in my first reply, I love this post and what Walter seems to be. :wilson_love:

However, there is one thing that dissapoints me, Woby. Woby acts like a portable chest (*cough cough* chester *cough cough*), which is a role already taken. Also Woby doesn't look original, he's cute and all, but here's the thing: One thing I love about this game is the originality and how everything is taken literally, for example, tallbirds, they are birds, with really tall legs, grass gekkos, they are geckos, made of grass, chester, a chest that is also a dog, volt goats, they are goats, that are literally electric, etc. But Wobby, he's just a dog (at least that's what he looks like). I'm really hoping that once Walter is released that Woby isn't just a plain old dog that acts like a chester and beefalo mash-up.

Also, there is one thing I actually predicted: "Will continue to slowly lose sanity while health is below 100%" I have no proof, but I specculated on my own and I thought of this, and the fact that it actually came true is really fun and makes me even more happy about this update. (Just to clarify I totally think this will be AMAZING and that Walter will be really fun to play!! :D, it's just that Woby dissapoints me a little :(.)

Edit: I would of prefered if there was a special interaction between Walter and chester, all the things Walter can do with Woby could of also been applied to chester, instead of making a chester clone, plus this can be considered as a multiplayer thing where only Walter can upgrade chester that way, and that it benefits the whole team and people would want a Walter in their team to upgrade chester, but chester would have to be fed to keep his form, and only Walter could feed him, which would solve the "switch" character issue (since I've read comments of people being sad (or even angry) that Walter desn't bring much to the team).

TLDR: Woby is just a chester and beefalo mash-up and is not very original in DST levels. (DISCLAIMER: This is only my opinion, others are completely aloud to think otherwise and I think that Walter makes a GREAT addition to DST overall and that he looks really fun to play as! :wilson_flower: In an overall view, I just want to say thank you Klei, for your amazing generosity and for your amazing game development, your updates always make me happy and DST is by far my favorite game! :D)

Walter doesn’t bring much to a team they say.. meanwhile I’m reading stuff like Portal personal Beefaloo that has Chester Storage, Bullets that draw Enemy Aggro AND Slow down their movement speed (something a lot of you wanted Webber to do by placing web turf) fires bullets that will make enemies STOP Attacking, Grants players Sanity by telling stories at Campfire.

He brings more to a team then Wolfgang atm.. which is just “Eats everything, Becomes OP Superman punches all foes to death.”

I don't think I've ever been so hype for something in my life! Super excited to play this little bean~
Also interested in what instrument his voice is--possibly a guitar? ('Cause y'know, guitars
can be strongly linked with campfire songs?)

Now this character has my attention, and this might be a character that I will use a lot similar to me playing as Wendy almost all the time lol.
His Quirks are most interesting, and is something I will enjoy, this is gonna be entertaining.

Well, Woodie, we've had a good run, you and I, but as a public server player, I think I'll enjoy Walter a whole bunch more. A portable tent, a slingshot, and a personal chester/beefalo companion hybrid...

The possibilities are, to me, endless. If Walter truly doesn't lose sanity whatsoever, I can go down and hunker in the caves for a few days, chill out there with a portable tent and cozy campfire. I could do supply runs for others, with Woby to store dug up resources, logs, rocks, etc. I could provide emergency sanity/health with the tent, set up checkpoints-

The perfect character. Thank you, Klei. :wilson_love:

Hmmmm. I suspect that Walter might be an effort to Flatten the learning curve abit For new players

>He's free
>He has a reliable ranged weapon, and one that Doesn't draw agro from Enemies that are already fighting at that
>He doesn't have to worry about sanity as long as you don't get hit, which you're going to be less often thanks to the slingshot
>3/4ths of his special pellets are effective for disengaging, And maybe the cursed pellets depending on how the Shadow tentacles work
>He can more efficiently turn food into health and sanity thanks to his tent benefits.

A flatter learning curve would definitly benefit the game's longevity, And I'd rather have 1 specific character who does it organically than for half a dozen characters being excessively buffed to the point where they're no longer interesting. I'd also love it if this means we can get into some more, Challenging content in the future, but we'll have to see how it pans out

Archived