Walter & Woby Arrive June 15th!

Very excited for and appreciative of this new free character, though I share the concern that his list of perks and drawbacks is a bit overloaded. I feel confident that will be addressed with tweaks after his release though. I think his "theme" is intended to be "ranged support", damage and debuff enemies at a distance. I don't think he will be a "cannon", though he might be glass.

Woby sounds useful for megabasing, since she gives more slots to carry bundlewrapped rocky turf for big cobblestone projects, which presumably stacks with Shadow Chester/Hutch.

Campfire storytelling doesn't sound very useful to me, but it does sound wholesome AF, and I will probably enjoy its roleplay value.

OMG!!!! HYYYYYYYYYYYPEE!!!!!!! This looks amazing Klei!! ...as usual! :P 

Also, I wasn't expecting Walter to be FREE, thank you so much Klei!! You're one kind company!!

EDIT: I just noticed this: I LOVE how the moon has a chunk missing and is cracked (The chunk being the "new" lunar island), this is such a nice attention to detail!! :wilson_love:

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

I think they decided to make Walter Free because they came up with something Better for the final paid dlc (prays for playable Rock Den Lobster or ohh better yet CHARLIE!) 

If Charlie were to be playable, her name would have to start with a W. Which would make her..... OH MY

Wugly.thumb.png.d8338f25083126756395547fce261597.png

Just now, Raeku said:

If Charlie were to be playable, her name would have to start with a W. Which would make her..... OH MY

Wugly.thumb.png.d8338f25083126756395547fce261597.png

Wretched Charlie..?

(She can NEVER be fully just Charlie again.. she will live the rest of her life with that dark shadow power trying to be contained inside of her.)

Besides... we already have a boring human version of Charlie (her sister who has skins that let her look like Charlie!) 

What I want is something that transforms between light and dark forms, similar to Hel from Smite.. but not quite Hel.. As seen here where she fights herself between wanting to hurt or help Wilson or rather her furniture should be pretty or creepy, before finally both forms settle on a middle ground of Pretty Creepy.

I screamed like a little girl now my friends are making fun of me:lol:. As soon as I heard he can ride his pet like a beefalo I already know im going to love him. He also generally seems like a really strong character while still having interesting gameplay mechanics, so excited.

2 minutes ago, Seot said:

I screamed like a little girl now my friends are making fun of me:lol:. As soon as I heard he can ride his pet like a beefalo I already know im going to love him. He also generally seems like a really strong character while still having interesting gameplay mechanics, so excited.

Can't wait for some mounted slingshot combat action!

23 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I think they decided to make Walter Free because they came up with something Better for the final paid dlc

Well, free DLC does exist. It's possible Walter is still counted as DLC, despite not having a price tag. I would like to know if Walter is still considered the 4th DLC character though. :shock:

I see a lot of experienced players here complaining already when the character's numbers are still to be seen.
Others because his abilities are "nothing new" or "taken from the workshop".

To all of them I ask: what's up with you?

The content of the workshop exists because of all the possibilities KLEI MADE POSSIBLE. Anything that you can find in mods is something Klei could add without being unoriginal. Also you are complaining about sanity being irrelevant BECAUSE YOU ALREADY KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH IT.

New and casual players are not the type who can just ignore the sanity stat. This is like when people complain about others not beating winter.
Yes, some of us don't sink hours upon hours into the game. Yes, some of us are eternal noobs.

Stop being so negative and form an opinion AFTER the character is released and without the mentality that this was a character made for you. It wasn't.

1 minute ago, Lumberlocke said:

I would like to know if Walter is still considered the 4th DLC character though. :shock:

All the 4 DLC characters anounced in the 2019 roadmap were already delivered, Wortox, Wormwood, Warly and Wurt. Walter is something else, meaning that we might get even more characters! :D

@JoeW Does Walter count as one of the 4 dlc characters planned? Curious as he is the only newbie that's free!

1 minute ago, ConvexCaribou23 said:

All the 4 DLC characters anounced in the 2019 roadmap were already delivered, Wortox, Wormwood, Warly and Wurt. Walter is something else, meaning that we might get even more characters! :D

See, I always thought Warly was one of the refreshes as he was called as such, as opposed to Wormy who was released around the same time as the DLC

After some thought, my guess as to why he's free comes to a few different possibilities:
A. Klei is just nice
B. Klei wanted to have a new character with an important story role, which they don't want to lock behind a paywall
C. Klei doesn't want to be taking too much money away from people right now, and would much rather let people have fun during these hard times. More money spent on Walter is less money spent on charities. Klei's other games and the skins will cover this one
D. To throw people off. The next, seemingly very ambitious new character being totally free?? Announced on a WEDNESDAY? Releasing on a MONDAY?! No one's gonna be able to predict Klei anymore, like at all.

Regardless, Walter does genuinely seem like a very interesting and fun character. While he seems to be less of a character specifically focused on something, he seems to just be a character who's fun to play as. Which is more important to me, but maybe that's not for some people. I don't like Wickerbottom, even though she's good. From hearing about his perks, he seems like a character that Klei really had fun creating, and it really reminds me of how creative Klei can be with characters. Which is also really exciting for the future of the game, though we should focus on Walter for now.
I'm really grateful that Walter not only seems to have a lot of fun energy put into him, but also that he's free. Which is great! The world is going through some especially hard times, and I personally was getting a bit worn out from playing. But Walter, I can definitely see him changing that for me. Good for the younger side of the audience too, since school should be wrapping up for them by now, giving everyone time to sit down and have some fun.

Thank you again Klei, for all that you do. I can't wait to play as Walter.

2 minutes ago, Bluegeist said:

See, I always thought Warly was one of the refreshes as he was called as such, as opposed to Wormy who was released around the same time as the DLC

Was Warly added in DST before the roadmap? I thought he was new to DST only after the roadmap, I thouht he came after Wortox. If not, my bad then, oopsy :P

10 minutes ago, Clawder said:

"nothing new" or "taken from the workshop".

I'm actually really excited for this character, mainly because all of his perks seem geared towards both learning the game and making it a bit easier for newcomers. My friends hardly wanted to play DST because it was too hard for them (what with sanity, storage, and fighting being a huge issue for them); and Wilson was not really reliable for them because he offered very little as a starter character. I think (in my own opinion of course) the perks for Walter is amazing for someone who wants to learn the game at their own pace while also having a decent challenge that they can reliably control.

4 minutes ago, Clawder said:

Also you are complaining about sanity being irrelevant BECAUSE YOU ALREADY KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH IT.

Honestly, depending on the numbers, Walter's relationship with sanity may make NMF farming very convenient.

Like you said, the numbers are needed to truly get a good idea of how he plays...

A few examples:

-What will be the slingshot attack speed/damage?

-How slow will the slow-down darts render the target?

-How fast is Woby?

-How much monstermeat will you need to feed Woby to maintain is big form?

-How many questions will I list before I get bored?

-How quickly will Walter's sanity drain when damaged?

-Will his sanity drain fast as his health gets lower?

3 minutes ago, Bluegeist said:

Yeah, Warly counted as a character refresh, not as a DLC character. Walter is the 4th DLC character, but Klei decided to give this DLC free to all.

2 minutes ago, Owlrus98 said:

I'm actually really excited for this character, mainly because all of his perks seem geared towards both learning the game and making it a bit easier for newcomers. My friends hardly wanted to play DST because it was too hard for them (what with sanity, storage, and fighting being a huge issue for them); Wilson was not really reliable for them because he offered very little as a starter character. I think (in my own opinion of course) the perks for Walter is amazing for someone who wants to learn the game at their own pace while also having a decent challenge that they can reliably control.

Right? I also have a friend who doesn't really want to play DST, because it is hard to manage at first and is also very confusing at first, even if it's my favorite game, this character will be perfect for him and for many people who are new to DST. (Also, he might sound good for starters, but he also seems really fun to play in general, I'm looking forward to playing him myself lol :P)

3 minutes ago, Raeku said:

Honestly, depending on the numbers, Walter's relationship with sanity may make NMF farming very convenient.

NF has always been a problem for me, lol.

Everyone says "sAniTy iS nEvEr An ISsUE". And I'm over here getting my ass handed over by a crawling horror.

Okay so there are ALOT of questions I would like to ask Klei, like why is Walter free? Does the new short have any connection to Woodie? What’s the “and More” in this post mean if you already covered skins, new twitch drops and Walter?? 

But none of that is what I want an answer to most, I shall directly ping Mr @JoeW to ask the question I want an answer to the most.

The Question: If Woby can die in the game will the Campfire Stories Walter tells to everyone be about how his dog died? 

(sorry not sorry I had to do it. Haha.)

Archived