Wolfgang's Character Refresh is Coming Next Week!

Not gonna lie, I'm gonna miss that speed boost. Goodbye you beautiful stat... o7

On another note, this seems like an interesting concept, and I'm kinda excited to see where it goes...

To those that are complaining it looks a little much, I think that's fair, but at the same time, it's hard to deny Wolfgang had insane stat boosts for keeping the most basic stat in the game up... 

Also, his sanity thing becoming a minor downside is kinda boring, so much potential, and they don't do anything with it?

Spoiler

I'm very excited for when Maxwell loses his sanity meter, and instead gets a shadow meter or some crap.

Im actually looking forward to this
Here is what i saw reading through all this
it makes wolfgangs stats consistent.
It rewards you for playing the character (and not just swaping to him and gaining his bonus by eating) I think more characters should be like this.
it takes having to micro manage out of the question.

i feel like people are over exaggerating the aspect of having gyms everywhere.
His might is most likely going to be a consistent stat and just like any muscle gains you gotta work to keep them.
I like the idea of him able to use heavy items like imagine having marble armor and no downsides.

you are most likely not going to need to have gyms everywhere and the dumbell would suffice in keeping might on the go.

So those are my positive thoughts

now my concerns

My first concern is the drain rate of might.  if it ends up being like being wurt and merm king time that is bad.
then it would really be tedious to maintain.

and my second concern is he should get more general benefits from maintaining might
Like give him a bonus to do general tasks like harvesting chopping mining faster. 

and honestly  i would say let him have at least a 10 percent boost in movement speed while mighty since you have to actually work for it now. instead of just eating. 
base eating movement speed was like having a free walking cane.but 10 percent goes a long way.

and so with this I wonder to see how the release goes and what changes will be made if any afterwards. as we have seen before klei will hear out our concerns when things give the unintended impression.(1hp wendy with high damage abby/ moose goose beaver timers not being good)

but i think it really makes wolf a balanced character in his own right.  And I think allowing him to build up his might would make people play him for longer. Rather than just being a swap class (like winona, wicker, maxwell, warly, and sometimes wigfrid).

Don't know what people are complaining about. All he had to his kit was double damage and the ability to single-handedly clear refrigerators of all their food. He was never interesting to begin with, just useful; you couldn't even argue otherwise because the only thing he had to his kit was 2x damage. True Wigfrid only got straight up buffs for her rework, but they were all things that made her more interesting to play to accommodate an already interesting kit.

For those of you saying they "ruined your favorite character", may I ask what exactly was your favorite aspect about him? The quotes? The aesthetics? The handsome mustache? Or perhaps....*drum roll please*....The double damage? You guys got what you asked for, balance. He carries stuff faster, rows faster, has consistent health/speed; he just needs to earn his damage instead of scarfing down 4 meatballs.

Spoiler

Heck, keep the original 2x damage for all I care, just let me duct tape two dark swords together at least.

9 minutes ago, Erineyes7 said:

Also, his sanity thing becoming a minor downside is kinda boring, so much potential, and they don't do anything with it?

Yeah that's the only thing I'm a bit saddened with. I was hoping theyd take his sanity downside and make put it on level with Wormwood/Wanda's downsides. Though I suppose they havent done that for any refresh. Still super excited to test the whole gym mechanic though!

2 hours ago, YouKnowWho said:

I hope this acts similar to how the farming rework did. A bit more complicated, but if you put in a bit of effort you can profit exponentially. Depends on what else full mightiness does.

I’m also pretty intrigued by the idea that you’ll be motivated to carry heavy items around everywhere. Perhaps we’ll get some kind of giant storage backpack, like an early krampus sack? That would be pretty sick.

Piggyback

4 hours ago, JoeW said:

Wolfgang can craft a consumable Dumbbell item to restore his Might on the go. It does not consume hunger and can be used as a weapon

Maybe i was wrong but does this gonna negate all the workout above?! just craft ton of this and restore his Might, same as the old eat food mechanic.

This refresh look like a nerf to me, too much work to maintain his might, if he don't have the consumable Dumbbell this refresh sure a nerf. But why consume a Dumbbell?? Dumbbell as a weapon is ok, but how can you consume a Dumbbell?! the consumable items should be a steroids shot or a kind of energy drink, or a whey protein shake, or a protein bar like in bodybuilding.

P/s: i'm glad we have this consumable thing otherwise you have to build a gym near every boss to stay mighty :))

48 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

wolf's speed getting removed just deleted his entire skill ceiling which was allowing him to execute things like bone cage dodges or kiting enraged dfly etc and overall makes him a far less interesting character, without speed his fight strats are the same as any other character but shorter which reduces depth

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Cobblestones 

- When Mighty Wolfgang can carry heavy items faster
- Wolfgang is a more efficient rower when Mighty
- His speed no longer changes with his forms
- Wolfgang’s hunger and health are now at a maximum of 200 regardless of his form

Hmm, those all sound extremely familiar... very familiar indeed! :)

Joking, of course, I'm super happy to see these changes make it into the official game. I am especially surprised at the change to his movement speed, I always assumed it was accidental, due to the fact that increasing the scale of an entity also increases its speed, and I am glad to see its being removed. Movement speed is one of the most powerful things in Don't Starve, and something that almost never gets touched in a characters kit, for good reason.

Removing some of the balance anomalies makes room for more diverse and interesting changes, so I am super glad Klei went this route!

To be honest, rework is a nerf.
Klei made new mechanics were for Wigfrid without a single minus. Does this mean that Klei was afraid of nerf Wigfrid, but at the same time they killed the character whose lines say about the "Mighty Stomach"? To be useful, the Wolfgang's team now needs to keep track of two parameters, while Wigfrid  is useful at the beginning of  the game without any conditions or  or disadvantages. If had Klei  created the conditions for  obtaining Valkyrie's abilities for Wigfrid , this also caused a lot of resonance and outrage among the players.

Whoever said Wolfgang  doesn't have a minus  forgot that Wolfgang's downside was the animation of his reshaping, which , when played, stop him from moving and can be kicked / kill by  hounds.  And of course the fear of shadows.:wilsondisapproving:

If the mini-game will be tiresome, I'll wait for the old Wolfgang in modifications.

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I picture the devs all sitting around sipping egg nog and hot cocoa going “ahhh the holidays..”

Cocoa? Nah, to handle the entitled players Klei had to whip out the ol' Wolfgang Potato Juice.

Man, where are all the 'funny' forumites with their reaction images and witty replies? This thread is like a playground for them.

Anyway...

I was never a Wolfgang player, found his gameplay more boring than Wilson's. Maybe this rework will fix that.

It's pretty obvious that Klei will have to drop a hotfix soon after the rework because:

1) They did the numbers wrong

2) People will be literally sending them death threats

I like that Wolfgang's might is no longer just granted for filling one of your 3 stats that you have to fill.

What I do think is unnecessary is the minigame.

Other than that the basic concept of Wolfgang's rework provided by the devs sounds good to me.

Archived