Wolfgang's Character Refresh is Coming Next Week!

I've never really played Wolfgang, and while this doesn't look like a better version of him, it looks like a much more interesting one. So I'm looking forward to this. Especially, as mentioned, we don't know the exact values and numbers yet.

The one thing that's weird to me is what some people mentioned already, that he doesn't seem to bring much to the table as a team player. Wigfrid at least has her songs to directly impact other players. There isn't even anything that Wolfgang is uniquely good at, apart from rowing I suppose.

But maybe the dumbbell is an amazing weapon, who knows?

I personally don't like this update, mainly because of the speed boost, it is very important aspect to speedrunner, it also makes dodging fw cage attack, which was already very very hard to pull, even harder, altho i think it can be solved easily with the new gym station.

If the gym station could give u the choice to make in tendency that would be the best, wdym by this? For example if u could train legs it would give u more speed in exchange for less dmg, it would be great for all players, some prefer kitting, some prefer tanking, this would benefit both kind of players.

If the gym station was made so every character could use for temporary boost to either speed, dmg or endurance it would make wolf more team player, but this also has a risk to make wolf like warly, players just changing into wolf just to build station, this could be solved by balancing how much speed or dmg can each character gain and for how long

I also hope that the dumbbells, or the bell that wolf uses to get mighty won't be too expensive.

1 hour ago, Psychomaniac said:

Maybe i was wrong but does this gonna negate all the workout above?! just craft ton of this and restore his Might, same as the old eat food mechanic.

This refresh look like a nerf to me, too much work to maintain his might, if he don't have the consumable Dumbbell this refresh sure a nerf. But why consume a Dumbbell?? Dumbbell as a weapon is ok, but how can you consume a Dumbbell?! the consumable items should be a steroids shot or a kind of energy drink, or a whey protein shake, or a protein bar like in bodybuilding.

P/s: i'm glad we have this consumable thing otherwise you have to build a gym near every boss to stay mighty :))

By "consumable" I assume they mean it runs out over time, like clothing.

5 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

By "consumable" I assume they mean it runs out over time, like clothing.

I don’t know.. it could be like a “Javelin” he can spin around and throw it to “consume” it- I don’t see him Eating the Dumbell that would just be weird even for Dont Starves Standards.

I am particular curious about the Movement speed buff removal though: is it possible they’ll add a new type of food to the game like a Protein Shake or something that gives EVERYONE that speed buff?

Aside from the “Less cowardly when near friends” he doesn’t seem to have ANY Team Based perks..

I’m hoping I’m wrong.. but for now- just seems like the Rework doesn’t give him any actual team based stuff.. and instead only focuses on making him himself more unique.

I will hold out hope for things like Protein Shakes & Dumbells that can be crafted and give to other players.. (Klei will almost certainly tweak him after the flood of feedback coming next week.)

Hey guys, I was wondering if Wolfgang's Gym Station could be a public facility so that all characters could benefit from it? Considering that our previous rewords focused on team profit, Wolfang is likely to contribute to the team in some ways.

6 hours ago, JoeW said:

Wolfgang can build a Gym Station structure, which allows him to work out and increase his Mightiness

• Players need to engage in a minigame at the gym and the amount of mightiness gained depends on how well they do at it
  • Players can load the gym with different heavy items to change its effectiveness
  • Consumes hunger as Wolfgang works out

I am gonna assume that the Gym Station is a team-benefit structure similar to Wendy's sisturn and Wigford's song or Webber's kindly Den Decorating Set, meanwhile Wolfang could take some equipments from the station to make extra profits himself.

It seems rather good not have to eat little bit of food everytime to stay in big form :) depends how quicky will mightiness go down. Might get more annoying than eating. Plus idea of working out regulary to keep strengh... What a nightmare. Good we dont have it irl :D

I didn't read whole topic but I liked @Lord of Bunwich idea of using gym to "choose" if mighty form is going to be "faster" or "stronger/hit harder". That could make gym mechanic more interesting. I never played Wolf, didn't really needed him nerf or buff, just I think training to "only" gain mighty form might be tendious. 

And I like idea when Wolfgang os just doing stuff more or less keeps his mightness. It would be so stupid, if he would keep quickly losing it all time, almost like if Woodie moose meter didn't slow down during fight.

Carring statues at faster speed actually is smoll but pretty neat perk, because we can use these not only for decor, but also for farms and other mob pathfinding exploits and if you want to place it nicely, then better is to do without beefalo. Would be lovely if he wasn't slowed down by piggyback, right?

7 hours ago, JoeW said:

Wolfgang can build a Gym Station structure, which allows him to work out and increase his Mightiness

• Players need to engage in a minigame at the gym and the amount of mightiness gained depends on how well they do at it
  • Players can load the gym with different heavy items to change its effectiveness
  • Consumes hunger as Wolfgang works out

Notice how JoeW is specifically saying Wolfgang can build the gym and loses hunger while working out but says that Players need to engage in the minigames and can load the gym with heavy items.

First of all thanks Klei for all the insane content this year and for still giving us yet another patch just before the end of the year. It has been an amazing ride this 2021.

I have super mixed feeling about this re-work, i felt the changes were going to be too much, even if the refresh of Wigfrid made me hopefull that they would be just QoL changes.
If Wolfgang was just making is debut in the constant this all would sound really good, but that is not the case is it? This sounds like way too many fundamental changes to a Character that already had it's place in the game. This makes me, and im sure others, get the feeling of "Thankfully i got Wanda now :)" that wasnt a feeling we wanted to have.

I'm sad to see the speed buff going away, that was probably one of the biggest ups of Wolfgang and its gone now, as for the Mighty form we have to wait to avaluate, how much time you need to become Mighty, how long do you stay Mighty, is the damage still a x2?, the dumbell restoring mightynisse for how long?, how much will it cost? how much time does the mini-game take? Is it a daily thing we have to do? etc... So only thursday we can go with the deepdive, hopefully i'm surprised :) 

The concept of the Re-works was, the survivors will be more of what they are, but even if the MIghtyness will compete with the current one, i feel what its lost is more than what is gained.

Then again, this will for sure be exciting to test out, so i will give you that.

ps. Super excited for that trailer, that wallpaper is amazing!

8 hours ago, JoeW said:
  • Does not lose Might while carrying heavy objects

Wouldn't it be cool if this extended to marble armor and piggy backpacks?  Get your mighty once, wear a marble armor / piggy pack everywhere and *never* run out of mighty XD

7 hours ago, Shosuko said:

We've had the Wendy rework, and Wanda release...  he isn't quite so OP by comparison anymore.  I don't think they really needed to nerf him.

Wanda is very strong if you play her like a glas cannon, with big risks. Wolfgang was strong and a damage sponge. He was still OP compared to Wanda.

29 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Wouldn't it be cool if this extended to marble armor and piggy backpacks?  Get your mighty once, wear a marble armor / piggy pack everywhere and *never* run out of mighty XD

This should definitely be a thing, he shouldnt be penalized for wearing these.

3 minutes ago, Majestix said:

Wanda is very strong if you play her like a glas cannon, with big risks. Wolfgang was strong and a damage sponge. He was still OP compared to Wanda.

Yeah - As much as people lament losing the speed buff, the problem with Wolfgang was that he had very high damage, move speed to make kiting easier, AND a large health bar to soak hits.  If he was designed today he would never have a speed buff, and no one would care.  Speed doesn't really make sense the way the rest of his kit does.

• Instead of being connected to his hunger, Wolfgang’s forms are now controlled by a new Might Meter.
    • Filling the Might Meter requires Wolfgang to work out using one of his new craftable items
    • The meter goes down over time and the draining rate is determined by Wolfgang’s Hunger, the hungrier he is, the faster it goes down

Why need overcomplicate this? Just trying to eat in battle was fun.

I don't care for wolfgang in the slightest but frankly, the speed thing was stupid as hell to me anyway. It really didn't fit in with the general theme of the character and the fact that was basically a fast pass to cheesing random elements of the game.

The fact that the speed thing was what supposedly made wolfgang "special and more interesting" when it was basically just a powerful addition that doesn't really fit his overall gimmicks and theme does NOT read as positive to me. Im glad they removed it- provided that he does get something else out of it. I don't really think it belonged in the first place but it was there and thats def gonna feel like a big nerf, so hopefully the implementation of these mechanics will keep that from feeling that way.

Ultimately if this refresh just feels like it swaps wolfgang from cramming food down his throat to working out without much else its gonna feel either pointless, or just like a nerf without much flavor. So hopefully it feels a lot neater in practice than this simple explanation and adds more to what you can actually do with wolfgang's stuff.

Archived