Wolfgang's Character Refresh is Coming Next Week!

1 minute ago, QuartzBeam said:

What refresh did that?

Almost all of them iirc?

Winona got a crafting tab instead of tackling the fact that shes Wilson 2

Webber got an ok update but still, another crafting tab just because

Woodie got very niche and situational transformations and another crafting tab that are pointless when we all know the objectively best thing to do was to revert the beaver stat change from DS to DST.

1 minute ago, myxal said:

As opposed to the stealth nerf that Wicker got with RWYS

That was more of a sidegrade. Bye bye infinite Meatballs, hello instant health/hunger/sanity crops.

2 minutes ago, myxal said:

I am hoping the nerfs stick - it's so boring to get on twitch after a new boss is released, and every streamer is playing the same character. Like, "wow, anyone care to show how the boss can be fought without OP abilities?"

To be fair, this likely won't change. Either they'll all switch to Wanda or they'll stick to Wolfgang.

8 minutes ago, myxal said:

I am hoping the nerfs stick - it's so boring to get on twitch after a new boss is released, and every streamer is playing the same character. Like, "wow, anyone care to show how the boss can be fought without OP abilities?"

I generally try to showcase fights as Wilson without Volt Goat Jelly for this reason :D

But sometimes I end up getting comments saying why am I doing this when another method is available (for example, just use bees against Pearled CK). Sometimes you just can't win.

4 hours ago, Mattwalt said:

B) losing speed is a bummer, sure, but to keep that speed up before required constant snacking anyway. Using the dumbbell to maintain mightiness while using a mag and cobblestones for speed during fights like most other characters is still viable for boss fights. 

This doesn't actually say anything positive. You're just repeating that he lost his speed boost and now only has speed boosts universal to everyone.

2 hours ago, DajeKotlyar said:

Remember how community ask for nerf Wanda before release.

Didn't they then nerf her on release and make the Second Chance Watch break when haunted? Or did it always do that?

37 minutes ago, bagherthegamer said:

Guys listen.

I was hiding in the corner waiting for the war to calm down and say this:

"IF YOU DONT LIKE THE NEW WOLFGANG JUST DONT PLAY HIM! " 

simple right? 

ok bye. 

If you don't like the feedback don't read it.

9 minutes ago, myxal said:

(As opposed to the stealth nerf that Wicker got with RWYS)

Stealth buff, more like. Kickstarting a RWYS farm is way more powerful than massing berries could ever hope to be.

i hope the gym doesnt cost too many rocks to make, i definitely see the gym emptying public chests out of rocks but unlike wigfrid using rorcks for helms or winona for catapults the gym is gonna become useless once the wolfgang player disconnects in winter lmao, if the gym structures use wood or boards is gonna be worse because that means they will be flamable too.

my horniness for the wolfgang werewolve skin is not enough to make me play him and now i am just gonna get sad every time i see him in the character select screen lmao

1 minute ago, ZolaRay03 said:

Almost all of them iirc?

I was asking which rework made previous abilities more tedious to get/use.

6 minutes ago, ZolaRay03 said:

Webber got a massive boost in usefulness that is largely tied to the items found in his new crafting tab. The Den Decorating Kit lets him actually keep his spiders close to the team's base, the Webby Whistle gives him control over his followers, the Switcherdoodles let him mass produce spiders of his choice.

10 minutes ago, ZolaRay03 said:

Woodie got very niche and situational transformations and another crafting tab that are pointless when we all know the objectively best thing to do was to revert the beaver stat change from DS to DST.

Woodie never got a crafting tab. And making unfounded claims about what "everyone" "objectively" knows is never a good look.

And your entire attitude towards characters getting new craftables (in a survival-crafting game no less) seems to boil down to a knee jerk reaction rather than something you've actually put any thought into.

3 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

I was asking which rework made previous abilities more tedious to get/use.

Webber got a massive boost in usefulness that is largely tied to the items found in his new crafting tab. The Den Decorating Kit lets him actually keep his spiders close to the team's base, the Webby Whistle gives him control over his followers, the Switcherdoodles let him mass produce spiders of his choice.

Woodie never got a crafting tab. And making unfounded claims about what "everyone" "objectively" knows is never a good look.

And your entire attitude towards characters getting new craftables (in a survival-crafting game no less) seems to boil down to a knee jerk reaction rather than something you've actually put any thought into.

I dont like how character start to depend on niche items more and more, ive played the game since beta and i've never felt more bored until now, ive tried to find mods to revert the character refreshments but cant.

8 minutes ago, ZolaRay03 said:

Winona got a crafting tab instead of tackling the fact that shes Wilson 2

Woodie got very niche and situational transformations and another crafting tab

What's wrong with crafting tabs? You'd rather have their crafts thrown into another tab for the sake of inconvenience?
Crafting tabs are an intuitive way of displaying character specific crafts to newer players.

1 minute ago, Guihhza said:

What's wrong with crafting tabs? You'd rather have their crafts thrown into another tab for the sake of inconvenience?
Crafting tabs are an intuitive way of displaying character specific crafts to newer players.

I would rather them not make characters dependant on unique craftings making stuff more tedious and complex for everyone and mostly new players.

3 minutes ago, ZolaRay03 said:

I dont like how character start to depend on niche items more and more, ive played the game since beta and i've never felt more bored until now, ive tried to find mods to revert the character refreshments but cant.

I mean, you can easily ignore most of the crafts. Neither Webber nor Wendy, for example, need to use a single thing found in their tabs.

But the thing is Don't Starve has always tied new abilities to items, so it's to be expected that they would extend this to character-specific abilities. The alternative would likely be more complicated, because you'd have to tie new abilities to buttons and then introduce some new, convoluted mechanic to "balance" those abilities. Whereas items come with an inherent balance via their crafting cost.

48 minutes ago, aidancode said:

We all knew Wolfgang needed a nerf, but the main thing I'm worried about is that the character is getting too complicated. Back when DS was released, all the characters were pretty simple, and Wolfgang is nice in his simplicity. This seems to turn him into a whole new character. I really liked the dynamic between characters getting harder to control but becoming stronger in the process, from the easy Wortox to the moderate Wolfgang to the complicated Wanda. Now, Wolfgang might be more complicated than Wanda, and that's weird to think about.

Wolfgang will be no where near as complicated as Wanda lol.  Not that Wanda is super difficult, but managing health / age forms, refueling weapon, backstep etc is all a LOT more complex then "I life weights to get might, I carry dumbbell to stay might, mighty is double damage."

What's really funny about previous Wolfgang is that he actually was kinda tedious and complicated.  You'd have to carry a lot of small foods on you to stay capped mighty, now the bonus is consistent so you only need to upkeep might when it's about to fall off - and we don't know how long it will last.  There is a LOT we don't know.

The only thing we do know is he lost his speed buff, and really that was the place to hit him.  Learn to tame a beef.  You can even use a rider beef b/c you can just get off and fight with strongman.  Beef even go in caves now.

Ooooh I can't wait to get my hands on this! I don't normally play Wolfgang, but this is going to be a really interesting change to his character.

Thank you for all the updates and everything this year! Y'all have put out some amazing content, and I can't wait to see what else you've got in store for us! ❤

Removing the speed boost? Really? I'm very sorry but that shouldn't be a thing...

I acknowledge that these rebalances don't sound bad so far, I can't see anything interesting with this brand new mighty meter and the other changes.

But still no speed boost, like, why? We don't play Wolfgang only because of his damage multiplier
The "rowing faster" thing should be a thing since Return of Them released its first update, lol, and it's not a skill unless someone really likes playing with pancake boats in the game.

The "25% sanity penalty" thing is kinda of negated with tam o' shanter and other sanity restoring items, but I can't complain that much on this change tbh
The "carry heavy items faster" thing do sounds nice

Overall I'm glad there was an attempt but I feel like those changes will kill Wolfgang's popularity to oblivion, it almost feels like a Wes Character Refresh 2.0

1 minute ago, KnottaHooker said:

Ooooh I can't wait to get my hands on this! I don't normally play Wolfgang, but this is going to be a really interesting change to his character.

Thank you for all the updates and everything this year! Y'all have put out some amazing content, and I can't wait to see what else you've got in store for us! ❤

This is refreshing… somebody is grateful instead of being the opposite of grateful. People need to act like you more, thank you kind stranger.

11 minutes ago, TitanicTigrex said:

This is refreshing… somebody is grateful instead of being the opposite of grateful. People need to act like you more, thank you kind stranger.

It's like...they're doing this for us for free. We're getting new content. They could have moved on from the game, but they're giving us new content, new characters, new mechanics, and they're all either free, a small fee, or earnable by playing the game. It's not hard to be grateful, and I think people forget that there are actual people behind the company of Klei that have to deal with this onslaught of "being the opposite of grateful". I wish they'd remember that. 

Eh speed nerf is fine, why did he have that on top of everything else, in the first place? We have already other characters with more complex speed boosts.

Worst case scenario, if the outcry is too big, when it’s released they’ll give some of it back like 10% speed boost while mighty or something more reasonable like that. Enough to negate a piggyback, for example, but not an overall amazing difference to have a walking cane fight advantage from the first 3 minutes of the game on top of 2x damage.

-”But wormwood can get 20% speed boost from the very start of the game and use it on fights”
- Yeah and good luck healing in the first few days when rushing bosses as Wormwood. Also he has no damage boosts. It’s super compensated.

The rest of Wolfgang changes: Sit tight and wait for it to be released.

4 minutes ago, KnottaHooker said:

It's like...they're doing this for us for free. We're getting new content. They could have moved on from the game, but they're giving us new content, new characters, new mechanics, and they're all either free, a small fee, or earnable by playing the game. It's not hard to be grateful, and I think people forget that there are actual people behind the company of Klei that have to deal with this onslaught of "being the opposite of grateful". I wish they'd remember that. 

You are a good person. People need to act like you.

Archived