Wolfgang's Character Refresh is Coming Next Week!

7 minutes ago, Lord of Bunwich said:

Luckily, you are, the Dumbbell gives Wolfgang Might and it might be a more than viable alternative to the Gym Station. If I had to guess, the Gym Station is for gaining an absurd amount of Might very quickly at the cost of Hunger (if you're good at the minigame), while the Dumbbell would be more than adequate to keep Wolf's Mightiness high... provided his mighty belly is not empty.

You still require to invest time into it. I'll rephrase what I wrote because that's what I was leaning towards, the time investment. You have to maintain mighty by sacrificing your hand slot or spending time at base. 

People can spend all of summer in complete darkness with nothing but a lantern or moggles/miner hat.

Sometimes you need to equip your helmet to fight some bishops, but oh no, your meter is depleting, better take out your dumbbell. There is a mechanic now there that requires maintanence which will result in time loss.  

Not an Wolfgang fan or even moderately playing this character, hence no horse in this race. I've played him in past, best works when rushing bosses, crushing mobs, does a lot per time unit, very powerful, while consuming loads of food.

It all depends on that Gym mini-game, how fun is it to recurrently do it all through play sessions. Can make-or-break the rework. And how mechanically functions mentioned Dumb-bell. Is it entertaining, is it tedious, complicated, can flow well into fights? We'll see.

4 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Sometimes you need to equip your helmet to fight some bishops, but oh no, your meter is depleting, better take out your dumbbell. There is a mechanic now there that requires maintanence which will result in time loss.  

to be fair - you had to manage eating while fighting before which was quite tedious with the linear damage mod.  Its not linear now, so its probably easier to maintain a max dps output with the dumbell then previous with eating.  The only nerf is to speed, which was always weird in his kit anyway...

Just now, HowlVoid said:

You still require to invest time into it.

Definitely the core of the issue with the rework. You have to not only pick Wolfgang, but also ensure that you remain Wolfgang. Unless you can do it VERY quickly or for "free" by multitasking, it's not gonna be so good.

Hopefully Wolfgang can get some cardio in while he's using the Dumbbell.

1 minute ago, Shosuko said:

to be fair - you had to manage eating while fighting before...  and the damage mod value is linear now so its probably easier to maintain a max dps output with the dumbell then previous with eating.  The only nerf is to speed, which was always weird in his kit anyway...

Eating is pretty braindead though, and because it heals you, you shot two birds with one stone. Also, eating is instant which is a big factor.

The dumbbell takes up the hand slot but you can use it as a weapon. Numbers are requires to take the discussion further but I think there is enough there for people to discuss. 

3 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

The only nerf is to speed, which was always weird in his kit anyway...

Which is incredibly important. It's one of the main reasons you'd play Wormwood. Cane, Magiluminescence, cobbles. You REALLY wanna hit those speed thresholds, and Wolfgang could do it just a tiny bit better than Wormwood.

13 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Eating is pretty braindead though, and because it heals you, you shot two birds with one stone. Also, eating is instant which is a big factor.

The dumbbell takes up the hand slot but you can use it as a weapon. Numbers are requires to take the discussion further but I think there is enough there for people to discuss. 

I doubt the idea is you fight with the dumbbell much.  Its there to gain you might, but if you're at full hunger and full mighty, I think you'll just fight - no micromanagement needed.  At least that's what it sounds like to me.  Damage mod isn't linear so its not like you have to stay capped mighty like before.

13 minutes ago, Lord of Bunwich said:

Which is incredibly important. It's one of the main reasons you'd play Wormwood. Cane, Magiluminescence, cobbles. You REALLY wanna hit those speed thresholds, and Wolfgang could do it just a tiny bit better than Wormwood.

Except the penalties of being Wormwood who, as you say was outdone by Wolfgang, don't come with 2x damage and a fat health bar XD  Also Wormwood has no easy access to healing, so if his game plan is to not get hit.  If he gets hit he's in for problems.  Wormwood isn't much of a combat focused character.  Wolfgang is a combat focused character with a thicker health bar to go with it.  He doesn't need ez kiting too.

4 minutes ago, GNGR bred boi said:

Don't people still use healing foods for the majority of fights in the game anyway? 

Managing health isn't like managing hunger on Wolfgang because his damage value was linear - meaning the closer you were to max hunger, the closer you were to your cap 2x modifier.  This mean eating a lot more often to keep up dps even if you aren't taking damage.  idk how much it effected his ability to tank and trade, but either way he won't need to play that tedious game, and he can have a dependable 2x modifier.

idk how much people tank and trade on a daily.  I typically kite things out - first off because its less time spent meal prepping, and secondly because I've been playing Wanda like 95% of my game time since she was released XD

imo - something missing from his rework is a buff to chopping / mining.  idk how much of a buff he should get, but I was hoping his mighty would help him split my firewood :\ 

55 minutes ago, Dextops said:

1. made him more tedious
2.made him more boring
3. not done anything to make him less boring

Wdym lol??? Prior to this Wolfgang was just “eat food before a boss fight!!!” It doesn’t get much more boring or tedious than that. Now instead of just right clicking on food, you will need to manage your gym locations and dumbbells, and there’s a minigame, which we know NOTHING about yet so don’t you dare start claiming it’ll be boring or tedious or smth. This rework is very exciting as Wolfgang was one of the most boring chatacters for me previously; I can’t wait to try out the new Wolfgang.

2 hours ago, JoeW said:
  • When Mighty Wolfgang can carry heavy items faster

I know this implies statues, suspicious marble, moon altars etc, but are piggybacks and marble suits at least considered here? I'm guessing no simply because I expect Klei to forget about them.

9 minutes ago, goblinball said:

Wdym lol??? Prior to this Wolfgang was just “eat food before a boss fight!!!” It doesn’t get much more boring or tedious than that. Now instead of just right clicking on food, you will need to manage your gym locations and dumbbells, and there’s a minigame, which we know NOTHING about yet so don’t you dare start claiming it’ll be boring or tedious or smth. This rework is very exciting as Wolfgang was one of the most boring chatacters for me previously; I can’t wait to try out the new Wolfgang.

If it is one minigame a single one then it will most definitely be tedious this update did not make him less tedious as it did not change anything substantial about him except make him worse I am able to claim him being tedious because instead of managing your food and your switch frames you are gonna have to go back to some work out machine do some minigame so you can have access to wolfgangs perks and you will have to do this over and over again if this is not the definition of tedium idk what is 

1 hour ago, bautistaaj27 said:

So if you're not happy with it don't blame Klei, blame yourself for not voicing out your opinions when you still had time. I didn't see anything like "he's good as he is no need to change anything". And only now are you saying that all of these new changes are just a waste of time and are needlessly tedious.

except I did but it seems like my opinion didnt matter

10 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

except I did but it seems like my opinion didnt matter

That’s the thing, your opinion DOES matter, but this doesn’t mean the character is ruined. Keep in mind that klei said they would increase the damage of his mighty form, this could potentially surpass Wanda. All I’m saying is to keep an open mind, I understand that this may be tough, but I think we should give this a chance.

2 minutes ago, TitanicTigrex said:

Keep in mind that klei said they would increase the damage of his mighty form, this could potentially surpass Wanda.

problem is people seem to think dps is everything

it just isn't tho. The amount of dps given by wolfgang ect is very situational especially for bosses it wasn't bad it was good for nice quick combat because it was easy to get but it didn't need any nerfs at all but it shouldn't be all that he is now left with

1 minute ago, Dextops said:

problem is people seem to think dps is everything

it just isn't tho. The amount of dps given by wolfgang ect is very situational especially for bosses it wasn't bad it was good for nice quick combat because it was easy to get but it didn't need any nerfs at all but it shouldn't be all that he is now left with

While I agree with some of this, please keep in mind that speed is supposed to be a difficult thing to obtain, the walking cane and mag. Are the hard to obtain because speed is something that is needed to counteract time, if a character could do that at very little cost, then it would throw off the balance of the game, besides, this doesn’t automatically make Wolfgang bad, it just makes him a bit more interesting to play as, please, let’s keep an open mind.

1 minute ago, TitanicTigrex said:

While I agree with some of this, please keep in mind that speed is supposed to be a difficult thing to obtain, the walking cane and mag. Are the hard to obtain because speed is something that is needed to counteract time, if a character could do that at very little cost, then it would throw off the balance of the game, besides, this doesn’t automatically make Wolfgang bad, it just makes him a bit more interesting to play as, please, let’s keep an open mind.

this is exactly why walter is so good
he has woby right at the start also its a pve game balance should not matter as much how fun a character is should come miles before talking about balance 

Archived