Jump to content

Wolfgang's Character Refresh is Coming Next Week!


Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, SonicDen220 said:

I know this implies statues, suspicious marble, moon altars etc, but are piggybacks and marble suits at least considered here? I'm guessing no simply because I expect Klei to forget about them.

This was the intended trade off- remove speed, buff damage, make becoming mighty and staying mighty entertaining: While also giving him new unique flavor.

People don’t seem to realize just yet that no movement speed penalty is HUGE.. sure he isn’t zooming around the map at flash speeds of kiting… but if he can wear marble armor and move like he isn’t wearing armor: you won’t notice the speed buff gone in Combat.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dextops said:

this is exactly why walter is so good
he has woby right at the start also its a pve game balance should not matter as much how fun a character is should come miles before talking about balance 

Woby bucks Walter as soon as he takes damage, Wolfgang’s speed was constant, every character NEEDS a downside (except wilson) but I DO see where you are coming from, but let’s please try to keep an open mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

People don’t seem to realize just yet that no movement speed penalty is HUGE.. sure he isn’t zooming around the map at flash speeds of kiting… but if he can wear marble armor and move like he isn’t wearing armor: you won’t notice the speed buff gone in Combat.

no this is not a fair trade off at all his regular speed gave him so much utility other than combat what you just listed now proves my point of him having little to no utility outside of combat

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TitanicTigrex said:

Woby bucks Walter as soon as he takes damage, Wolfgang’s speed was constant, every character NEEDS a downside (except wilson) but I DO see where you are coming from, but let’s please try to keep an open mind.

woby bucks him off IN COMBAT using it for zooming around the map has no downside which was the best use for wolfgangs speed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Dextops said:

woby bucks him off IN COMBAT using it for zooming around the map has no downside which was the best use for wolfgangs speed

Let’s just take some time, we don’t know where this is going to go yet… this could be great! Please keep an open mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TitanicTigrex said:

Let’s just take some time, we don’t know where this is going to go yet… this could be great! Please keep an open mind.

yes but i am giving criticism and nothing will change for the better unless criticism is given

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GNGR bred boi said:

Saying the same thing isn't very open minded of you

How so?

Just now, GNGR bred boi said:

Criticism is needed in this situation in order to give feedback to stuff that would favorably need to be changed in order to allow for fun gameplay 

I agree, but this could be fun as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We haven't gotten to test the new Wolfgang yet, so I don't think it's wise to discuss balance/tedium when it's all just speculation. However, there are are a few things here that worry me.


1. Lowering max hp to 200 is a large nerf, though he is getting a passive damage reduction when mighty. However, unless is a 33% damage reduction, he will have less effective hp than before. 
2. Adding a mini-game as core mechanic to a character's kit does not strike me with confidence. Other mini-games have worked well as secondary activities such as Cawnival and YotPK, however they were not something that I found engaging enough to do once I'd claimed the rewards.
3. Wolfgang's unique identity was that he was a strongman who got strong off of his Mighty Belly. Changing this feels like a huge step back flavor wise. Especially for something as boring as working out to get strong.

That being said, I am excited to see the bonuses/debuffs of mightiness added as constants. I also can't wait for the animated short.

EDIT: After seeing the minigame, this is no longer a concern of mine. I still dislike losing the flavor related to his belly but I can live with what we have

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People still think Wolfgang is an "OP" character when in reality he doesn't actually bring much to the table, to the team at least, and it makes sense he's a bit of a selfish character when it comes to his perks but really this is a multiplayer based game, and what they added in this rework didn't really seem significant to a multiplayer point of view, just kind of reinforced what was already there while taking away his other traits that equally made him good and fun to play as. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, TitanicTigrex said:

While I agree with some of this, please keep in mind that speed is supposed to be a difficult thing to obtain, the walking cane and mag. Are the hard to obtain because speed is something that is needed to counteract time, if a character could do that at very little cost, then it would throw off the balance of the game, besides, this doesn’t automatically make Wolfgang bad, it just makes him a bit more interesting to play as, please, let’s keep an open mind.

every character can saddle a beefalo on day 1 so everyone except walter is on an even playing field when it comes to speed, I've talked about this a few times in the past, yotb allowing you to bring beefs everywhere made characters having speed mults no longer a particularly impactful perk

wolf's speed getting removed just deleted his entire skill ceiling which was allowing him to execute things like bone cage dodges or kiting enraged dfly etc and overall makes him a far less interesting character, without speed his fight strats are the same as any other character but shorter which reduces depth

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Encouraging tanking is a bit redundant when you can practice dodging attacks to save time on resource gathering and healing items 

 

1 minute ago, Lord of Bunwich said:

This entire post is so vague, that I have to wonder if Klei is just farming reactions to make sure that when they give out actual numbers, things don't explode...

Pretty wise of them to do that, and probably reach a middle ground where everyone is happy by the end of it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Dextops said:

woby bucks him off IN COMBAT using it for zooming around the map has no downside which was the best use for wolfgangs speed

The characters that have a speed boost also have a fairly fair downside, they don’t hit harder or soak up damage- them getting hit at all is actually highly dangerous to them: (Walter, Wormwood, Wes)

And the characters that DON’T have low health or serious downsides to getting hit require a ton of work to achieve their Speed Buff (Wurt Marsh Turf, Webber Webbed Flooring) For everyone else.. it’s Cobblestone Roads & Walking Canes or Beefalo Companion mounts.

Im not counting Woodie because he can’t actually DO anything while in his Goose speed mode.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mike23Ua said:

The characters that have a speed boost also have a fairly fair downside, they don’t hit harder or soak up damage- them getting hit at all is actually highly dangerous to them: (Walter, Wormwood, Wes)

And the characters that DON’T have low health or serious downsides to getting hit require a ton of work to achieve their Speed Buff (Wurt Marsh Turf, Webber Webbed Flooring) For everyone else.. it’s Cobblestone Roads & Walking Canes or Beefalo Companion mounts.

Im not counting Woodie because he can’t actually DO anything while in his Goose speed mode.

this doesn't relate at all to their speed boost perks even if you are using their speed in combat you shouldn't be tanking meaning you can just negate that downside one of the reason low max health doesn't matter that much and for other characters they have a lot of other stuff other than that speed boost and combat that was all wolfgang had and now one of them was removed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
  • Create New...