Wolfgang's Character Refresh is Coming Next Week!

Guys, I'm not saying I don't agree with the needless tedious stuff, but seriously, can we wait for the content to actually release before we complain about it? These reactions are a lot worse than I ever thought they could be. It's been one hour and this entire thread is already a warzone.

6 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

My question is if Wolfgang is gonna keep his 6x damage multiplier when he fights wet targets with Volt Goat Jelly lul

im the only who thinks that electric damage should be a flat number, lets say 80 extra damage when wet? so is the same for wes than for wolf and still being a very good buff without going crazy with wanda or wolf

4 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

They don't say they increased his damage, and honestly going much higher than 2x would be crazy...  But I think a 2.25 or maybe even 2.5 mighty multiplier it will make up for the speed nerf.

Boss fights are such a small part of the game, no amount of excessive damage can make up for removing the perk that at least somewhat helped with the rest of the game (even if Wormwood can achieve a similar speed boost for basically free).

9 minutes ago, Hornete said:

No in-game footage, no gameplay, just words and people are getting angry despite having not actually played the content yet.

if i am wrong and this is an amazing update i will eat all my words like a goddamn american but until then on paper this update makes it sound like they have
1. made him more tedious
2.made him more boring
3. not done anything to make him less boring
and i do not see anything changing from words to gameplay the minigame will be boring quick people who thought he was boring before will still think hes boring the numbers don't matter in this situation because its seems like he doesn't have any other numbers other than punch strong which isn't good at all this excuse makes no sense because the description already makes it so descriptive on how its gonna go

I kinda thought they'd do something like this, didn't expect for it to sound so tedious on paper however. Is the mini game on top of everything else really necessary? And why didn't they find a way for Wolfgang to help the team with a special item or ability, Wigfrid provides helms and is basically already the "tank" character, which is also why I'm confused they'd also nerf his speed buff, and nerf his maximum hp, we already have the glass cannon character, so now he's just going to be the dps class or something? I mean he was already good for his high amount of damage and it was simple and straight forward. They could have just removed the eating part and replaced it with the weights sure but the way they made the weights system just sounds so tedious and actually horrible. I wouldn't want to be caught with my pants down knee deep in the ruins and then having to lift some weights to get mighty to fight off shadow monsters, only to be mauled in seconds because the portable dumbell's animation is too slow. (Unless they make it a very fast animation I still don't know how that would work according to the new mighty system and still technically needing food to calculate mightiness, along with the minigame...) You have characters like Wendy and Woodie who don't even have an impactful downside to really be called a downside, and although those 2 characters where mediocre before their rework they're really going hard on the "Meta" characters while also simultaneously putting new characters on the "Meta" pedestal. I really feel like this doesn't change the core of what Wolfgang really is, which is a good thing but it doesn't add anything new of significance and just drags out the gameplay of a regular pre-rework Wolfgang. Maybe you could have tied his mightiness to his sanity somehow? I know there really wasn't much options or stuff to be done with Wolfgang as how controversial of a character he would be to tackle but cmon Klei you kind of did Woflgang dirty here. 

Maintaining Wolfgang's Might is extremely important, then and now, but the key to Wolfgang's might was that he could maintain his Might while multitasking. He needs food anyway, dealing with 3x hunger drain was not a big deal.

If Wolfgang needs to go completely out of his way to avoid being Wimpy and/or maintain Might, that will be a problem. 

Please make it so that performing ALL actions that are affected by his Might at least maintain his Might, and let his Might work at max effect for multiple days.

The Gym Station structure is an excellent opportunity to give Wolfgang agency over the effects of his Might, such as regaining his speed increase in return for slightly lower damage, the way Wigfrid can decide which combat buffs she wants to use. Maybe one that makes his Might last much longer in return for his Hunger drain being increased, eh? Customizing his Regimen would let Wolf players decide HOW they wish to be MIGHTY!

This seems like it's sound as-is without my suggestions, but how good or bad it is for Wolfgang is determined entirely by numbers, particularly his Mightiness gain and drain. If it is easy to maintain might (e.g. the Gym Station is a side gig and Dumbbells do just fine) then this is a huge buff for a team-oriented Wolfgang, but is not so great for solo Wolfgang due to the loss of movement speed.

3 minutes ago, thegreatJash said:

Guys, I'm not saying I don't agree with the needless tedious stuff, but seriously, can we wait for the content to actually release before we complain about it? These reactions are a lot worse than I ever thought they could be. It's been one hour and this entire thread is already a warzone.

Klei knew this- they literally posted in the teaser image about the next rework being controversial- they KNEW the forums would erupt with this.. honestly I picture the devs all sitting around sipping egg nog and hot cocoa going “ahhh the holidays..”

This sounds like an exciting more fun Wolfgang & I personally can’t wait to try him out!

1 minute ago, Dextops said:

if i am wrong and this is an amazing update i will eat all my words like a goddamn american but until then on paper this update makes it sound like they have
1. made him more tedious
2.made him more boring
and i do not see anything changing from words to gameplay the minigame will be boring quick people who thought he was boring before will still think hes boring the numbers don't matter in this situation because its seems like he doesn't have any other numbers other than punch strong which isn't good at all this excuse makes no sense because the description already makes it so descriptive on how its gonna go

100%. The patch notes are really vague so I'm not going to write up a thesis about how the update sucks, but based on these vague patch notes it looks like it's going to be pretty bad. I was expecting him to just stay mostly the same and get some touch-ups like Wigfrid. Mightiness affects chopping, mining, smashing, and carrying heavy objects. Something like that, since compared to everyone else he's really only useful for boss fights and even then his use is debatable. I wasn't expecting them to remove his speed boost, the only general use thing he had, and go all-in on him being for boss fights. When they rework a character they expand what they can do (Wormwood gained movespeed, Wigfrid gained team buffs, etc), not pigeon-hole them even further.

6 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

im the only who thinks that electric damage should be a flat number, lets say 80 extra damage when wet? so is the same for wes than for wolf and still being a very good buff without going crazy with wanda or wolf

I'd welcome it. When they finally add a rain machine to the game, Volt Goat Jelly will just become crazy (it already is of course lol).

It's cause of that darned attack multiplier I believe

3 minutes ago, thegreatJash said:

This is a forum.  We're here to talk about things.  Klei posted it.  I don't see the problem...

2 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Boss fights are such a small part of the game, no amount of excessive damage can make up for removing the perk that at least somewhat helped with the rest of the game (even if Wormwood can achieve a similar speed boost for basically free).

That was one of the problems tbh.  A speed boost is a hidden power that really creeps out when you look at what Wolfgang can do compared to others.  While Wormwood can bloom and get a big speed buff, he doesn't have double damage and a massive meat shield health bar.  He also can't bloom so fast that he gets much of an early edge exploring the map.  Other characters need winter to get a cane, or need to work through taming a beef.  Wolfgang had the big speed buff instantly.

And while the game isn't *all* boss fights, those fights are a decent chunk of it.  His ability to kite quicker and hit harder was a bigger step up in combat then I think was fair, even for a strong man.  Taking away the speed buff makes him at least face the same difficulty in kiting as other characters - and he'll have a more reliable 2x damage, so he'll still beat everything up twice as fast.

That said - if he's going to be swapping between cane and circus bell to keep his mighty up, maybe he should get a little speed boost back to compensate.  Its been a while since Wolfgang has been egregiously OP.  We've had the Wendy rework, and Wanda release...  he isn't quite so OP by comparison anymore.  I don't think they really needed to nerf him.

Most of the rework just came from suggestions from players (anti-wolfgangs) in the forums. So if you're not happy with it don't blame Klei, blame yourself for not voicing out your opinions when you still had time. Before this I've only seen comments about wolfgang being boring, "stuff his face with food and get mighty", he is op, they should nerf him. Either that or "at least make him fun to play as","make him more interesting to play", and most often,"make him carry statues with no speed penalty". I didn't see anything like "he's good as he is no need to change anything". And only now are you saying that all of these new changes are just a waste of time and are needlessly tedious. So deal with it. I myself is excited about it because new stuff is new stuff.

9 minutes ago, Dextops said:

1. made him more tedious
2.made him more boring

I'd say #1 depends on how he maintains his Mightiness. If the Dumbbell makes it super easy, then it might actually be even easier to maintain mighty form on Wolfgang. The loss of speed is definitely going to hurt him, though, it was his only edge on other characters outside of combat. He technically got it back by moving statues

2 and 3... Maybe. If this is ALL they're doing to Wolfgang, then you're probably right. But it feels like they have more planned that just isn't finalized enough to announce.

He definitely needs a way to keep his Mightiness up while multitasking, or gain Might extremely quickly. If those things are available, then this makes Wolfgang's Mighty Mechanics much better.

The speed loss is gonna sting no matter what.

To be fair, I looked back at the whole thread and no one is angry. I see people being disappointed but not angry. 

There are reasonable concerns that can be discussed at this moment without needing the full release.

1. Speed perk removed

2. New mechanic that requires maintanence and may result in time loss.

Food is cheap, time is limited.

3. Lots of nerfs.

People have played enough of the game to know what these things entail. Let's not pretend people are stupid :). 

Oh there's irony in being upset at people for being upset.

3 minutes ago, Lord of Bunwich said:

He technically got it back by moving statues

moving statues is so niche its practically nonexistent and walter still blows him out of the water for it with woby and his dumbell will either have a long animation or low durability or both because nerf nerf nerf

4 minutes ago, Lord of Bunwich said:

2 and 3... Maybe. If this is ALL they're doing to Wolfgang, then you're probably right. But it feels like they have more planned that just isn't finalized enough to announce.

it seems as of now this is all they are gonna do hopefully they will take the criticism and change him a lot and then they do i'll be ecstatic because as of now who was this update made for?
the people who don't play him but wanted him nerfed for the sake of balance? like he still has no team perks and he still needs to eat more food than others for his perks he still seems boring i really don't get what this update fixed/was supposed to fix 

11 minutes ago, bautistaaj27 said:

Most of the rework just came from suggestions from players (anti-wolfgangs) in the forums. So if you're not happy with it don't blame Klei, blame yourself for not voicing out your opinions when you still had time. Before this I've only seen comments about wolfgang being boring, "stuff his face with food and get mighty", he is op, they should nerf him. Either that or "at least make him fun to play as","make him more interesting to play", and most often,"make him carry statues with no speed penalty". I didn't see anything like "he's good as he is no need to change anything". And only now are you saying that all of these new changes are just a waste of time and are needlessly tedious. So deal with it. I myself is excited about it because new stuff is new stuff.

There were plenty of people saying he isn't overpowered. I never once saw someone say he's overpowered without someone correcting them. And what kind of sense does "Don't blame Klei for doing something, blame other people for saying it should happen" make? If I started a meme that Klei should remove Wendy from the game and then Klei just removed Wendy for no reason other than there was a meme to remove her would you honestly blame the people s-posting instead of the company who made the decision to actually do it?

3 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

2. Needing an additional item to transform mighty (I think the dumbbell only helps in sustaining it. I could be wrong), where as before it was simply food. Food is cheap, time is limited.

Luckily, you are, the Dumbbell gives Wolfgang Might and it might be a more than viable alternative to the Gym Station. If I had to guess, the Gym Station is for gaining an absurd amount of Might very quickly at the cost of Hunger (if you're good at the minigame), while the Dumbbell would be more than adequate to keep Wolf's Mightiness high... provided his mighty belly is not empty.

4 minutes ago, Dextops said:

moving statues is so niche its practically nonexistent and walter still blows him out of the water for it with woby and his dumbell will either have a long animation or low durability or both because nerf nerf nerf

it seems as of now this is all they are gonna do hopefully they will take the criticism and change him a lot and then they do i'll be ecstatic because as of now who was this update made for?
the people who don't play him but wanted him nerfed for the sake of balance? like he still has no team perks and he still needs to eat more food than others for his perks he still seems boring i really don't get what this update fixed/was supposed to fix 

It’s new gameplay content for people on PlayStation and Xbox consoles who can’t download a world of Mods.

Its not meant to “fix” anything, just give the character more unique gameplay, personality and playstyle..

This rework does exactly that: even if some people aren’t happy about it.

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Its not meant to “fix” anything, just give the character more unique gameplay, personality and playstyle..

no... it did none of those things 
unique gameplay is false nothing has changed except it will be more tedious to actually get what people liked about him
and play style there are a plethora of combat characters his speed is what set him aside which is getting nerfed and personality...i really don't get what you mean by this looking at these patch notes what personality did he gain from this? he likes lifting weights? woop de fuckin doo his personality is fixed

11 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

There were plenty of people saying he isn't overpowered. I never once saw someone say he's overpowered without someone correcting them. And what kind of sense does "Don't blame Klei for doing something, blame other people for saying it should happen" make? If I started a meme that Klei should remove Wendy from the game and then Klei just removed Wendy for no reason other than there was a meme to remove her would you honestly blame the people s-posting instead of the company who made the decision to actually do it?

Well a "meme" is way different from a "character referesh suggestion". I wouldn't expect Klei, or any other company, to base their updates over a meme but over a suggestion? very much so. The rework had been announced to come out weeks ago so it's only natural for people to speculate and suggest what they want from it. And it's only natural that Klei will take those inputs because they care about their players. Now a meme about removing a character is something I don't know where you get from, but obviously Klei did not announce anything about removing a character from the game, so no, I wont expect them to remove Wendy because you posted a meme about it, no matter how many likes you get from it because it's never announced.

Archived