Wolfgang's Character Refresh is Coming Next Week!

9 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Maxwell memes doesn't count? :wilson_ecstatic:

Right! :wilson_facepalm: i cant believe i forgot about MM :lol: but that one is special and could practically go on forever. 

Is this the longest ‘real’ thread then i wonder :wilson_curious:

6 hours ago, Shosuko said:

I seriously question if using any dumbbells actually saves time comparing the damage / harvesting boost to any 1x character :\   I haven't done a decent comparison myself, but it just feels like too much time spend pumping weights, even just to maintain mighty from a gym.  If that's the case, then unless you build a gym where you need mighty, you might as well play Wilson.  I wonder if Wolfgang is going to be added next to Winona in the "got rework but definitely needs rework" queue.

im my experience i use the gem bell when im arround 85 and only need like 4 or 5 seconds to reach 98 which last for many fights

obv if the player plans to play for long time they can build gyms in hot spots

4 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

im my experience i use the gem bell when im arround 85 and only need like 4 or 5 seconds to reach 98 which last for many fights

Another thing to note is you can offload the free potato’s for either free emergency potato’s or.. to carry them around never losing might meter.

I fully understand Klei’s intentions with this rework, build gym.. take potato, wear potato to boss fight (as Wolfgang you only realistically need a Hambat, and now you can bring a Marble Armor or two..) you shouldn’t need to work out with dumbells because you are carrying Potato sack on your back.. AND during doing this you feel faster then any other character in the game because you ARE moving faster.. 

Once you get to your boss just murder it in Wolfgang quick fashion, pick back up your sack of potato and walk back home: All while never ever EVER draining Might Meter in the process.

I mean I just picture right now the Animated TV Series of Dont Starve and I picture the big Russian Wolfgang always carrying around a sack of potato’s with him at all times until something comes along he needs to fight and he’s all like “hold on comrade’s protect Wolfgang’s precious Potato’s while I deal with little problem for you” then he drops the potato’s and goes into a boss fight kicking the monsters butt with his mighty fists then afterwards dusts his hands off walks back over to his potato sack and picks it up & says “let us leave comrades my job here is done” 

Camera pans back to a beaten up dragonfly laying on the ground with stars over its head.

God please Klei green light a animated TV Series…. That goes alongside the game, I never knew how much I needed this in my life until now.

4 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Its such a waste though, and the food mechanic is layer with it, so you've got to eat AND pump weights mid-fight to keep things going.  Unless you're cheesing fights this really hurts Wolfgang.  Meanwhile Wanda just stays old forever doing cap damage ezpz.  Picking Wolfgang for damage is a trap :\ 

2 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

and the food mechanic is layer with it, so you've got to eat AND pump weights mid-fight to keep things going.

Is it that bad? You only really need to stay above 50% hunger to have the usual drain of 33 mightiness per day, you can stay above 75% hunger to save a bit more mightiness, but its only an extra 3 mightiness save.

12 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Is it that bad? You only really need to stay above 50% hunger to have the usual drain of 33 mightiness per day, you can stay above 75% hunger to save a bit more mightiness, but its only an extra 3 mightiness save.

Ya know I'm not really here to argue about this.  Wolfgang had a chance to be cool, he turned into a total trap.  I'm trying NOT to talk about it b/c I don't wanna get in fights with ppl over nitpick BS like "oh but you just pump a weight" yeah and waste MORE time and resources!  What is the point of a damage buff if you spend more time maintaining it then it saves you in a fight?  Owlrus meme'd about wanting page 50, we got it.  I'm going back to Wanda.

Wolfgang's a lot less taxing on a base now, at least in the long term, sure his dumbbells are more expensive, but building the Gym helps him get mighty for little to no constant resource cost (especially if you can get some Boss Statues). He also stays at max damage far longer then he used to, long enough to last through most boss battles.

The Trade Off here is that he takes longer to pump up then to just gobble down food. While Pumping isn't gonna be done as often, it will take longer when he does need to do it. He is less resource intensive, but needs to plan around his mightiness a lot more since it's not an on demand ability. His biggest loss was the move speed buff, making his riskier to play, but he gained the ability to wear heavy items without penalty so he can use items no one else really wants to. 4 extra item slots will always be good, and the Marble Suit is a powerful armor choice.

It's not so much a nerf but a sidegrade designed to both not make him super easy to play, and better to team with. More Damage but Requires more forethought, and you no longer can rely on an easy way to explore and kite via his speedboost, but in return you get better armor and more items.

5 hours ago, sudoku said:

I do think its interesting browsing the servers and instead of 90% of a server being the reworked character so close to an update, the percentage of Wolfgangs on server seems to be much, much smaller. 

Well that’s one way of looking at it, another way of looking at it is that maybe someone’s favorite character has already been reworked so why play Wolfgang?

Bottom Line: If being able to deal double damage to enemies wasn’t appealing to people Before his Rework, what makes you think updating him at all will? 

Wolfgang still needs to be and play like he’s portrayed in his animated shorts, he can lift weights not run at Olympian speeds.

He didn’t have an awful lot to work with to begin with, no Abby, No Bernie, No cool Wereform transformations, Not even the ability to command a legion of Spiders.

His Gameplay was very one dimensional & unless you loved his character quotes and double damage: There wasn’t much more then that to Offer, Klei had a chance to do some really wonderful things with being Mighty… but: As you can see with all the complaints people will find it too far removed from his original playstyle: Thing is ALL Character reworks have done that: Look at Woodie he is now effectively Ben 10.. Look at Wendy she’s now a literal ghost whisperer, Willow having a bear tied to her Sanity, There’s only so much you can do with lifting weights and hitting harder.

I will personally be playing Wolfgang more often, simply just because being mighty doesn’t feel cheap and effortless anymore, in the times that I’m mighty i have to do something OTHER then eat to feel Mighty.

5 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

His Gameplay was very one dimensional & unless you loved his character quotes and double damage: There wasn’t much more then that to Offer, Klei had a chance to do some really wonderful

When I said Wolfgang wasn't overpowered because he wasn't really special or did something solely unique.

07d.jpg

8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

unless you loved his character quotes and double damage.

vegeta-look-up.gif.8a8183a20d7c2273dad9bea4b39fbf6d.gifit just needs some work, this rework...

58 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Bottom Line: If being able to deal double damage to enemies wasn’t appealing to people Before his Rework, what makes you think updating him at all will? 

I mean, I guess i have a different idea of what a successful rework should do. 

It should be about gameplay expansion, and not soley about balance. I think smaller numbers of interest indicate the rework lacked in that regard. Its still too early to tell though, it was just an obersvation i had.

23 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

And how were Wendy mains when they got their first rework?  A week later Klei rolls out completely different build b/c feedback.

The difference here is Wendy’s Rework was in the month of MARCH this one is in DECEMBER where Klei will leave to be taking their Holiday break, no wait scratch that: Have already left to be taking their holiday break.

Do you remember the Tragic Torch skin crash that was exclusive to Xbox and how long it took for Klei to fix that? A Bug Introduced with WintersFeast and wasn’t fixed until Year of the Carrat.

Thats probably about how long your going to be waiting for any Wolfgang changes, it’s not because Klei hates Wolfgang or doesn’t care about Wolfgang players: It’s literally because they’re taking their annual holiday break & wont be back in the studio for 2-3 weeks.

I think they deserve their time off :) and I hope they all have a wonderful holiday season, those guys & gals have no clue how much joy & entertainment they provide me with Dont Starve it’s DLCs & DST.. 

8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

It’s literally because they’re taking their annual holiday break & wont be back in the studio for 2-3 weeks.

I think I said that before. Who knows what the devs will do when they return. I'm hyped for year of the catcoon but maybe they'll do Wolfgang tweaks.

On 12/18/2021 at 2:58 AM, Shosuko said:

Its such a waste though, and the food mechanic is layer with it, so you've got to eat AND pump weights mid-fight to keep things going.  Unless you're cheesing fights this really hurts Wolfgang.  Meanwhile Wanda just stays old forever doing cap damage ezpz.  Picking Wolfgang for damage is a trap :\ 

I know it's a late game solution, requires character swapping (which some don't like or consider too cheap) and is likely considered cheese like you said so it's not exactly viable until you're well and truly set up and have a way to kill beequeen on the regular with ease BUT I've been playing as Wolf since the update in my long term world and so long as I eat a chilli jelly bean before a boss fight they are defeated well before I lose mighty mode.

I can easily defeat Klaus this way,  am generally back at base before mighty mode wears off and I kite the majority of his attacks and all the spells. Ancient Guardian drops well before mighty mode wears off but I tank him with marble armor. Same for dragonfly (tanking with double bone armor) however that doesn't really count as I have a crazy dfly arena set up with like 8 houndius and 5 catapults helping at all times...

Seasonal bosses (deer and multiple moose goose) drop well before mighty mode is even close to running out. I use bear to do some serious logging so treeguards take him out but im sure if I wanted I could take him out before I lose mighty mode with a chili jelly bean and dark sword. Haven't tried Malbatross yet with update but I plan to soon and I'm sure she will drop well before mighty mode wears off as well. 

Toad, Crabking and maybe CC would require working out mid fight even with chili beans I imagine but if you up the ante and use chili volt jelly during rain you might pull it off with certain additional tactics/cheese.

Ever since I learned the true power of chili seasoning (garlic seasoning too) I've always kept huge stocks of chili beans  in storage specifically for boss fights. Only once every several in game years do I restock when stocks drop to about half and I do a lot of boss fighting. Its really not hard to farm up a huge amount of garlic and chili within a single season and I honestly I get jellybeans faster than I can use them.

So long as you don't find this cheesy/unfair/cheating/want more of a challenge or whatever I highly recommend it late game. You could always keep large amounts of chili/garlic powdercakes if you don't want to make a beequeen arena and fight her on the regular but you get the extra healing effect from jellybeans and they genuinely never perish (Not that you're ever going to see a powdercake in an icebox perish without some shenanigans like Toad spores).

I know this is likely going to be considered an extra cheesy four cheese pizza with cheese filled crust by many but it is certainly one way to avoid losing mighty mode halfway through the vast majority of boss fights :cheerful:

On 12/19/2021 at 6:15 AM, GelatinousCube said:

I know it's a late game solution, requires character swapping (which some don't like or consider too cheap) and is likely considered cheese like you said so it's not exactly viable until you're well and truly set up and have a way to kill beequeen on the regular with ease BUT I've been playing as Wolf since the update in my long term world and so long as I eat a chilli jelly bean before a boss fight they are defeated well before I lose mighty mode.

I can easily defeat Klaus this way,  am generally back at base before mighty mode wears off and I kite the majority of his attacks and all the spells. Ancient Guardian drops well before mighty mode wears off but I tank him with marble armor. Same for dragonfly (tanking with double bone armor) however that doesn't really count as I have a crazy dfly arena set up with like 8 houndius and 5 catapults helping at all times...

Seasonal bosses (deer and multiple moose goose) drop well before mighty mode is even close to running out. I use bear to do some serious logging so treeguards take him out but im sure if I wanted I could take him out before I lose mighty mode with a chili jelly bean and dark sword. Haven't tried Malbatross yet with update but I plan to soon and I'm sure she will drop well before mighty mode wears off as well. 

Toad, Crabking and maybe CC would require working out mid fight even with chili beans I imagine but if you up the ante and use chili volt jelly during rain you might pull it off with certain additional tactics/cheese.

Ever since I learned the true power of chili seasoning (garlic seasoning too) I've always kept huge stocks of chili beans  in storage specifically for boss fights. Only once every several in game years do I restock when stocks drop to about half and I do a lot of boss fighting. Its really not hard to farm up a huge amount of garlic and chili within a single season and I honestly I get jellybeans faster than I can use them.

So long as you don't find this cheesy/unfair/cheating/want more of a challenge or whatever I highly recommend it late game. You could always keep large amounts of chili/garlic powdercakes if you don't want to make a beequeen arena and fight her on the regular but you get the extra healing effect from jellybeans and they genuinely never perish (Not that you're ever going to see a powdercake in an icebox perish without some shenanigans like Toad spores).

I know this is likely going to be considered an extra cheesy four cheese pizza with cheese filled crust by many but it is certainly one way to avoid losing mighty mode halfway through the vast majority of boss fights :cheerful:

imo opinions like yours are largely why the Wolfgang rework will remain as is.  I think many people who don't seem to mind the rework are judging his potential based on what they "can do."  Well, I "can" speed run bqueen or dfly as Wes, that doesn't mean that Wes is good at it, just that he could do it.

People are finding they "can do things" with Wolfgang, and I guess that's good enough...  :\ 

What really surprised me is just how hard they hit Woflgang with the nerf bat AFTER they reworked Wendy and released Wanda which created 2 more top tier characters who made Wolfgang's kit seem much less OP by comparison.  Before that refresh and release I'd say this refresh was good, but after they made those two extremely powerful characters I just don't see the basis for taking Wolfgang down so hard.

But whatever - you CAN do something, congrats, I guess :\ 

Archived