[Poll] On Ocean Fishing

ocean man, take me by the hand lead me to the land that you understand  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Do you do ocean fishing?

• Yes.
    • No.
  2. 2. If yes, why?

• I need specific fish like Scorchin Sunfish.
    • I'm doing the Pearl Quests.
    • Fishes are an efficient food source.
    • Ocean fishing is a fun challenge.
    • Ocean fishing is relatively safe.
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)
    • I voted no.
  3. 3. If no, why?

• Ocean fishes are less efficient food sources than what one has on land.
    • Ocean fishes are less accessible food sources than what one has on land.
    • Ocean fishing is hard and tedious.
    • I've already done Pearl's quests.
    • I fear ocean threats like seastacks, Rockjaws and Malbatrosses.
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)
    • I voted yes.

I do it for 3 reasons. Spittlefish for sea flingomatic and that one Wigfrid song, spawning Malbatross, and displaying each type of fish.

I wish I had more reasons to fish in the ocean. For example, ice breams and sunfish should be more efficient than thermal stones - they should last longer in your inventory. Maybe there could be a pocket aquarium to keep them in, but you need to feed them to keep them alive. There should be some unique uses for the other two seasonal fish, too.

A lot of the ocean content is already great, we just need more of them to create a more lively water scene, and more incentives to go sailing.

There's something very relaxing and carefree in setting your boat in a random direction and making your meals on the go based on what you come across. The fishing mechanic is a fun challenge, it's not too difficult yet engaging.

I do fish sometimes. Not very often though. On public I usually don't play more than 40 days and i usually prioritize different things. On private, we've set a goal to defeat fuelweaver for the first time (and other late game stuff), so I didn't have time to fish too much yet (only for spawning malbatross).

I love the mechanics of new fishing and sailing. The direction the game takes with it and farming - making these tasks more engaging, is the right direction imo. But, when i'm on the sea, i usually want to get somewhere or explore as fast as possible, which doesn't go hand in hand with fishing.

3 hours ago, Roodmas said:

I wish I had more reasons to fish in the ocean. For example, ice breams and sunfish should be more efficient than thermal stones - they should last longer in your inventory.

Wurt would like to have a word with you florp.

Edit: I realize this might have been vague so I'll say that's actually a perk of Wurt's.

That being said I'm not a huge fan of ocean fishing tho I'm likely still bias against it because of how annoying it made dealing with fish as a Wurt player in the ocean fishing update.

I like to fish in malbatross fish shoal, to kill malbatross occasionally and this fish shoal guarantee to give deep bass fish = 1 big fish meat.
I do agree that fishing is not a good food source for late game, but once you have good late game food source (like few stack of pumpkins in a salt box), fishing is quite relaxing.

If it wasn't for the Pearl's quest, I quite frankly would not do like 90% of the ocean content. It's the only thing forcing me to sail and explore the water.

Fishing the seasonal fish is good too for Pearl since they count as 1 quest and the Autumn fish gives you the stupefying lure, which is honestly the only lure you really need since it will catch every other fish.

After Pearl's quest, the only fish I've gone out of my way to stock up on is the Sunfish. They are my thermal stone replacement as Wurt and they make Winter a lot more enjoyable.

I've also caught almost every other fish to try and make a fish showcase thing, but I stopped playing on that world before I could do anything with it. Idk if I will ever do it again too, I'd have to see.

adore ocean fishing so much, the mechanics are fun and unique and one of my favorite things to do is go on random pubs and teach players the mechanics of ocean fishing and how to properly fish.

One of the main reasons I love ocean fishing is probably the food Surf n Turf, two big fish and two monster meat for a wonderful 60 hp and 33 sanity food item, just gotta catch two fish and bash two cookie cutters to death and you've got it!

I do think some improvements can be made to ocean fishing though, maybe making the weight mechanic something thats actually useful gameplay-wise, heavier fish could give more fish meat/fish morsels when murdered, or have more fish/meat value in the crockpot.

I'd also like to see some more uses for ocean fish in general, sadly there's not too many unique fish, only fish that you'd really keep around and not kill for food are the seasonal fishes. Something else i'd like to see is for different ocean fish to give different loot when given to the merm king, I find it really saddening that a low weight common fish will give the same loot as a heavy weight rare fish when given to the Merm King, so I think it'd be a wonderful buff for Wurt to have ocean fish give different/specific/better loot depending on how rare or heavy it is.

6 hours ago, Roodmas said:

ice breams and sunfish should be more efficient than thermal stones - they should last longer in your inventory

Everything, including fish, lasts twice as long in an insulated pack. Everything, including fish, lasts 33% longer in winter. Scorching sunfish in an insulated pack for winter lasts 21.33 minutes, or 2.66 days. You need a 4 furnace set up for thermal stones to last a measly 8 minutes.

Scorching sunfish are overall much more reliable. They warm you up to a higher temperature and don’t lose their heating capability whereas thermal stones will turn yellow in about 4 minutes. You also know exactly how long you have before you need to switch sunfish. And they have all the perks thermals have (including bundling).

I do really like fishing and it's great. One of my gripes is that sea food doesn't restore hunger that good and requires a dry rack to make meaty stew.

Barnacles are pretty good as a food source, but it's very annoying to gather the resources, because of the ship size. I would love to have a smaller cookie boat that costs 1x board to surf between the seaweeds and salt formations.

6 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Wurt would like to have a word with you florp.

You are right of course, but these fish should be universally better than the stone. And then it should be even better for Wurt.

2 hours ago, Friendly Grass said:

Everything, including fish, lasts twice as long in an insulated pack. Everything, including fish, lasts 33% longer in winter. Scorching sunfish in an insulated pack for winter lasts 21.33 minutes, or 2.66 days. You need a 4 furnace set up for thermal stones to last a measly 8 minutes.

That is also correct, however, it's still a short time if you consider that at the end of those 2.66 days you have to be back at a boat so that you can refresh the sunfish. You can reheat your thermal stone anywhere. That is why it would be neat if you had other means of keeping your fish alive, like feeding it.

Not to mention, after you get your Krampus sack, it's a difficult choice to go back to a smaller backpack.

And if the answer to that is that everything has its pros and cons, then the thermal stone is an easy pick, since it's more easily available than the sunfish.

Archived