[Poll] On Ocean Fishing

ocean man, take me by the hand lead me to the land that you understand  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Do you do ocean fishing?

• Yes.
    • No.
  2. 2. If yes, why?

• I need specific fish like Scorchin Sunfish.
    • I'm doing the Pearl Quests.
    • Fishes are an efficient food source.
    • Ocean fishing is a fun challenge.
    • Ocean fishing is relatively safe.
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)
    • I voted no.
  3. 3. If no, why?

• Ocean fishes are less efficient food sources than what one has on land.
    • Ocean fishes are less accessible food sources than what one has on land.
    • Ocean fishing is hard and tedious.
    • I've already done Pearl's quests.
    • I fear ocean threats like seastacks, Rockjaws and Malbatrosses.
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)
    • I voted yes.

10 minutes ago, Roodmas said:

That is also correct, however, it's still a short time if you consider that at the end of those 2.66 days you have to be back at a boat so that you can refresh the sunfish. You can reheat your thermal stone anywhere. That is why it would be neat if you had other means of keeping your fish alive, like feeding it.

Not to mention, after you get your Krampus sack, it's a difficult choice to go back to a smaller backpack.

And if the answer to that is that everything has its pros and cons, then the thermal stone is an easy pick, since it's more easily available than the sunfish.

As I mentioned, you can bundle sunfish.

If you highly value being able to warm up anywhere, though, clothing might be the best choice for you. It can stack and last much longer than thermals.

The insulated pack’s icebox spoilage is amazing for other reasons as well. And it can easily beat the krampus sack if you have basic inventory management, especially considering shadow Chester exists.

50 minutes ago, Roodmas said:

You are right of course, but these fish should be universally better than the stone. And then it should be even better for Wurt.

That is also correct, however, it's still a short time if you consider that at the end of those 2.66 days you have to be back at a boat so that you can refresh the sunfish. You can reheat your thermal stone anywhere. That is why it would be neat if you had other means of keeping your fish alive, like feeding it.

Not to mention, after you get your Krampus sack, it's a difficult choice to go back to a smaller backpack.

And if the answer to that is that everything has its pros and cons, then the thermal stone is an easy pick, since it's more easily available than the sunfish.

Don't get me wrong I'd like them to have a higher day count but it becomes a abit over powered for wurt if they increase the day count any higher keep in mind they last for a day which is 4 days for wurt or 32 minutes that's a huge amount of time to ignore weather for one slot to compound this freezing is the only thing effects Wurt for being wet meaning she can survive winter and spring with just 1 item while i used to want them to match the life span of the fish with fresh water fish I've since realized that would make them a 12 day thermal stone for wurt or 96 minutes at a time.

Edit: Sorry not sure how that happened looped for some reason.

You both bring up valid points. I missed the part about the bundling wrap, that really does expand their usability quite a lot. And yeah I would like Wurt to be good (she already is, mind you), but that might be overkill.

I like to catch wobsters while standing on the shore and store them in a fishing bin on the boat near my camp where I plant my lureplants for leafy meat. They're good for surf 'n' turf with three monster meats, and lobster bisque with some ice, and if I happen to get butter, they're good for a wobster dinner, too. Plus they're super easy to catch since they don't try to escape. If that counts as ocean fishing, then I do it. But if you count ocean fishing as being on an actual boat out at sea, then I don't usually.

I've done ocean fishing for a couple reasons

• Completionism - I have a fish gallery of all heavy weighted fish available. Just nice to have the full set so to speak.
  • FOMO - I spent a while trying to gather Koi because I wanted to display them. (Exclusive to YotB and similar events.)
  • Adverts - Some of the best lures (Stupefying Lure in particular) require you to give heavy seasonal fish to Pearl. This also ties into the completionism aspect wanting to have all the recipes unlocked.
  • Food - For a while I used Salty Lobster Bisque for healing. Spent an entire Winter just fishing for Wobsters. More of a side project than an actual reason to go ocean fishing.

I am trying to explore more of the ocean based content, including fishing, but am having a hard time getting started. It is all so unknown and the mechanics feel so different from the land based survival. There don’t seem to be many good guides on how to survive at sea and by the time I get set up enough to start exploring ocean content I am loathe to lose high value items sinking in the deep. 

The common dangers you might face are:

- Running your boat into a pillar, but you can easily patch up your boat with boat patches / trusty tape.

- Ramming into a sea weed, causing all nearby seaweeds to aggro on you, thus sinking your boat, you don't want to do this one.

- Having a spittlefish spit out your fire, just have an alternate light source ready like a lantern or use the Deck Illuminator.

- Sharks aren't that scary if you just dodge its attack if it lands on your boat, also they aren't that hard to steer away from if they are in the water.

- Gnarwails are friendly-neutral and will only put a hole in your boat if you aggro it, you can patch this hole with boat patch / trusty tape.

- Just be sure to bring plenty of boat patches and you'll do fine.

- Also bring a tam o shanter to have your sanity high so that Wavey Jones doesn't commandeer your boat and mess with the sails and such.

- Oh and Malbatross if you choose to fight it will sometimes rip off your sails, so also prototype an oar. Malbatross only appears in Deep Shoals where sea bass likes to live. Deep Shoals are marked by an icon of fishes on the map.

- Also make an Ice Box and Crockpot on your boat for easy food storage and eating.

- And when you exit your boat back onto the mainland, try to bring all your stuff from the boat, because accidental wildfires can happen that might burn your boat.

- Oh right, and Cookie Cutters, they only appear near Salt rocks, but beware of them because they drill holes into your boat, but you can kill them easily by hitting them once, when they land on your boat to start drilling, then dodge their attack, then hit them again and again until they die.

Ok, this list was pretty extensive, but it will steer you in the right track. :) 

I go fishing both for food, thermal, and sport. Because i usually just base on a boat, it is my most constant source of food. And the thermal fish are amazing out on the ocean. and once its late game, i usually make an aquarium for sport fishing and showing off the largest catches

Archived