Any unknown mechanic to share?

I know this mechanic is well known, but I still want to add it to the thread since new players rarely find this out:

You can create bee boxes with "red" bees in spring. All bees in spring are red, but they are still differentiated between "bee" and "killer bee", even if they are red in inventory.

It should have the name "bee" not "killer bee", and those are good for bee boxes :)

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

On 12/21/2020 at 8:17 PM, Duck986 said:

Using deconstruction staff on the empty watering can will return you 1 board and 1 rope, but if it's full - it will return 2 boards and 1 rope instead. Same with waterfowl can

this is don't starve trivia material

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If, for whatever reason because the danm walls load after than mobs (klei pls), you are playing as wurt and the merm that is supposed to be in the tapestry gets stuck behind a wall without being able to sit in his place when you want to fed him just go a little far, enough to put the tapestry and him off screen and disconect. When you reconnect he will be in his place and now you can fed him

• Like 1

The Glowcap give differents light radius with each color :

- 4 Blue ~ 1.5 tile

- 4 Red ~ 2.0 tiles

- 4 White ~ 2.25 tiles

- 4 Green ~ 2.5 tiles

Since Glowcap accept spore that can last 60 days, its better to use it if you dont want to refuel it every 20/40 days like with the Mushlight.

The thing is, whatever you put in the Mushlight, it will always give the maximum light radius of 2.5 tiles with a white light.

So, if you dont care about the color and just want the best radius, you should put your festive light in Mushlight.

• Like 6
  • Potato Cup 3

If you don't want to repair a leak on your main boat after attacking a gnarwail, craft an empty boat from 4 boards and attack him from here. Leaks gnarwail makes on that boat will eventually destroy it, leaving 4 boards behind - exactly the amount that was spent on it, allowing you to rebuild the boat kit afterwards + get a gnarwail horn with little effort. Repeat until you have more gnarwail horns than you'll ever use.

Edited by shadowDigga
  • Like 8

Soothing Tea: Its sanity over time effect is a food buff, so it is not affected by spoilage. Only the initial 15 sanity is. That means Stale Soothing Tea will restore 30 sanity and Spoiled Soothing Tea will restore 20 (-10 when consumed + 30 over time). This makes it the only food in the game that can restore sanity even when it's not fresh. (@ViolentSh4de did some testing for me to confirm this.)

Lord of the Fruit Flies: It's been said before, but the Lord is super territorial. He won't go farther than 7.5 tiles from his spawn point, meaning you can deliberately spawn him in some remote location and leave him there to avoid having to fight him every 20 days.

But wait, there's more! Fruit flies that spawn from rotting plants will plant a single weed/annoy a single plant and then focus on trying to kill you. The ones spawned by the Lord, however, will keep "attacking" your farms so long as the Lord stays alive. Additionally, they do not have the same range restriction as the Lord, though they do generally follow him.

What all this means is that the Lord of the Fruit Flies is amazing for making weed farms. You can spawn him 8 tiles away from where you want your weeds, till the soil, then lure him there and kite him for a bit until the fruit flies have filled the soil with weeds. If you don't get the weeds you want, you can quickly deaggro the Lord by leaving his "leash range", allowing you to dig up the undesired weeds and re-till the soil in peace before trying again.

You can also spawn him closer to the farm, but it will require considerably more kiting. And you can also hit with the ice staff twice to freeze him, if need be.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sanity 2

14 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

This makes it the only food in the game that can restore sanity even when it's not fresh.

grim galette is the other stale food that restores sanity potentially. and most recipes if you're wx.

If you're on a dedicated server, and others are playing on it, you can paddle a boat, leave the game, and come back, and you will be at the portal. The boat continues moving while you are gone, and you cannot respawn in the middle of the ocean so the game sends you to the portal. it's a good method of easily getting back to the mainland if you have no completely decked out boat w/sails, or just want a quick teleport to portal.

easy way to deal with the duo bishops by the ancient pseudo science machine is to feed a rocklobster 3 rocks (~9 minutes follow time), and bring it to the bishops. bishops will attack the rock lobster until the end of time, and u can just ignore the bishops and craft freely at the ancient pseudo science station. make sure you punch the lobster because it cases you to lose friendship, so it doesn't teleport away from the bishops when you leave. I do this on scienceless ruins rushes. (don't worry about the rock lobster's slow walking speed, it teleports to you if you move far away.)

Edited by Bird Up
  • Like 5

On 12/29/2020 at 8:37 AM, minespatch said:

Has anyone made a post of farming gingerpigs for their crumbles?

i havent seen it but for sure it isnt worth the effort. in one of my worlds i spent a half day with one trapped on a wee jut of land and the crumbles it put out were only barely faster than my hunger drain. unless someone managed to coral multiples it simply isnt worth the effort except under extreme duress

Wurt's buildings only have to be placed on marsh turf, it doesn't have to stay marsh turf. Just dig it back up with the pitchfork after placing the building. So you can get away with making just one marsh turf.

Merms will also mine stone fruit for Wurt. Just place a stack on the ground and tap it once with a pick and a fed merm will mine it all for you. It really saves on picks and feeding Merm King.

Spider nests refill when they level up. So Webber can create an upgrade feedback loop of sorts. Start war, pick silk, upgrade, repeat steps 2 and 3. It works best with at least 3 nests in close proximity.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

I learned last night that apparently in DST, Pumpkin Lanterns last a whopping 53 minutes. A friend says this was changed way back at the first Hallowed Nights, but it slipped past me entirely!

Only if you avoid hitting them xD T.T

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo
  • Like 2
  • Happy Hazard 1
  • Big Ups 3
  • Sad Dupe 3

It ALWAYS rains on day 5, 6, or 7. Very rarely will it on 8.

If you want a pet mole worm, the most efficient way to feed it is stone bullets from Walter.

I like to keep a pet mole worm as Wigfrid as a friend. But there is an added plus as him being an emergency food supply. Poor Jeffrey. He saved me once.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Big Ups 3

I feel like with this kind of thread, the Insulated Pack has already been talked about a ton, but since it's 24 pages I'm gonna run the risk of repeating information and say: live animals placed in an insulated pack will take longer to starve, since their hunger is sort of just a fancy spoilage! Very very nice for Lightbugs!

Edited by Sunset Skye
  • Like 6
  • Hunger 1
  • Sanity 2

Using the bone helm for too long will cause nightmare creatures to be hostile to you when you take it off... unless you pair it with the snurtle shell armor. Put on the helm, and when you're done, use the snurtle armor to hide, wait until the shadow creatures lose interest in you, and then remove the bone helm by equipping another headgear. The shadow creatures spawned by the helm will instantly disappear if you have high enough sanity. This is extremely useful if you want to use an ancient pseudoscience station during the nightmare cycle but don't want to deal with the shadows chasing you after. Plus, the shell armor paired with the bee queen crown can be used to safely regain all sanity back during the nightmare cycle if you hide next to a nightmare light.

Edited by EirikGerhard
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, EirikGerhard said:

Using the bone helm for too long will cause nightmare creatures to be hostile to you when you take it off... unless you pair it with the snurtle shell armor. Put on the helm, and when you're done, use the snurtle armor to hide, wait until the shadow creatures lose interest in you, and then remove the bone helm by equipping another headgear. The shadow creatures spawned by the helm will instantly disappear if you have high enough sanity. This is extremely useful if you want to use an ancient pseudoscience station during the nightmare cycle but don't want to deal with the shadows chasing you after. Plus, the shell armor paired with the bee queen crown can be used to safely regain all sanity back during the nightmare cycle if you hide next to a nightmare light.

No matter how much you use the bone helm, the shadows will be hostile to you when you take it off, whether it's 2 seconds or 10 minutes it has nothing to do with you much time you keep it on, please tell me if I'm wrong thou. Also the shadows won't instantly disappear if you are full sanity, they can still attack you a few times until they despawn, even at 100% sanity. I like the shell + crown combo at the repaired station thou, I usually just have the crown but this way I can just afk, so imma use it :D .

Edited by BeeClops
  • Like 1