Any unknown mechanic to share?

Walter ammo counts as 1 value for the creation of slurtle slime (5 value per 1 slime) so using poop ammo to feed slurtles will net you 2 slurtle slime per 1 poop or 100 dmg per poop or 2 slurtle slime a rock by using rock ammo. Also amberosia has 12 value for slurtle slime creation, and a variety of rocks can be used for feeding the lil buggers. (thanks to swanky psammead for info on this)

• Like 2

A sea fishing rod with a twig and some berries or seeds for bait can be used to supplement your crockpot recipes if you do not feel like wandering too far from base.

A Wobster from the Wobster dens comes out at evening-night and it counts as a large meat for some recipes. Wobsters must be alive to be placed in a crockpot recipe. If you play Wendy, unsummon Abigail by draging the flower on her and clicking or else she will kill your Wobsters. Pick up the Wobsters right away or they will go back into the water. It's better to fish at a spot with 2 or more dens if possible because the wobsters come out every minute and a half.

• Wobster + Monster Meat + Large Meat + non-ice Filler = Meaty Stew
  • Wobster + Monster Meat + Morsel x2 = Meaty Stew
  • Wobster + Monster Meat + 2 eggs = Bacon and Eggs
  • Wobster + Monster Meat + 2 Honey = Honeyed Ham

In addition to Wobsters, you can also catch the many small fishes that swim beside land which provide fish morsels.

• Meat + Monster Meat + Fish Morsel x2 = Meaty Stew
  • Monster Meat + Fish Morsel x2 + Honey = Honeyed Ham

You can also make meatballs with the Wobster or Fish Morsels. You get the idea. You can fish during winter as well. Spacing out fire pits near your fishing area can make it easier to fish during winter nights. Don't forget that Wobster + Ice + 2 filler = Wobster Bisque (heals for 60).

Is this optimal? No. Do people in this game always play optimally? No. So go fish when you don't feel like leaving base. Another pro is that you might spawn more Pengulls by being close to the water during winter which means more ice. If you farm 180 ice during winter, you have enough filler to make one Meatball per day until next winter and have 15 ice left over for a Flingomatic.

If you teach your noobie DST friend how to fish, he can help with food without dying. Otherwise he'll either die or just chop trees forever. :ambivalence:

Edited by ryvrdrgn14
  • Like 4

You can catch a mosquito on the surface then release it on the caves. If you have enough speed buffs to follow it (walking cane + magiluminescence/system overload/mighty form/full bloom) it'll fly straight to the Toadstool. And not just any possible Toadstool spawn location (there are 3 on the map), but precisely where the Toadstool currently is.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Russo_JF said:

You can catch a mosquito on the surface then release it on the caves. If you have enough speed buffs to follow it (walking cane + magiluminescence/system overload/mighty form/full bloom) it'll fly straight to the Toadstool. And not just any possible Toadstool spawn location (there are 3 on the map), but precisely where the Toadstool currently is.

just tested and no, mosquito doesn't fly to toadstool's shroom but to random spot (possibly 0,0,0 coordinates).

• Like 11
  • Big Ups 1

4 hours ago, Duck986 said:

just tested and no, mosquito doesn't fly to toadstool's shroom but to random spot (possibly 0,0,0 coordinates).

That's really weird cause when I tested with alive Toadstool the mosquitos just flew right to him and when I tested with dead Toadstool they had a different behavior. I'll try that again in multiple worlds to be sure

Edit: just tried that on different worlds and it doesn't work consistently. It must've been a bug. But weirdly enough, mosquitos have 3 different behaviors on caves:
1. Regular behavior, try to attack the player
2. Fly on a straight line (and try to go on even when they reach a dead end)
3. Actually find the nearest path to a random spot and go there avoiding obstacles and dead ends (this one is rare, just tested on 4 different worlds and only got that once)

If someone finds out why that happens I'd love to know

Edited by Russo_JF
  • Like 2

Hammering a deployed Astral Detector returns 100% of its crafting components (1x Moon Rock, 1x Thulecite).

So whenever your Astral Detector drops to 10% durability just deploy it, hammer it, and craft a new one to obtain an Astral Detector with 100% durability for free.

• Like 10
  • Haha 6
  • Sanity 5

I've been recently trying to use depth worms as my grass and twigs farm, and i like it a lot, especially since i spend most of my summer and a bunch of autumn in caves, and i think the more often you are near them the better they gather. Basically they are lureplants that don't digest so they store it forever. Does anyone know specifics on this, like is there a limit of how much they can collect, or some other hidden mechanic i could exploit?

PS: i hate geckos

Edited by BeeClops
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, BeeClops said:

I've been recently trying to use depth worms as my grass and twigs farm, and i like it a lot, especially since i spend most of my summer and a bunch of autumn in caves, and i think the more often you are near them the better they gather. Basically they are lureplants that don't digest so they store it forever. Does anyone know specifics on this, like is there a limit of how much they can collect, or some other hidden mechanic i could exploit?

not sure but i've let one live for a full day and still got grass from it?

3 minutes ago, gaymime said:

not sure but i've let one live for a full day and still got grass from it?

yes if i understood your question correctly. I don't know if it gets "digested" after a certain amount of time, but i'm quite positive i've waited more than 70 days before killing some of my worms and got the grass and twigs.

Edited by BeeClops
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, BeeClops said:

It's been a while since I checked, but I believe that they should have the same inventory space as Lureplants (15 stacks). Also, I think that they digest food over time, but not inedibles.

--

The wildfire protection of oasis bases its checks on the player, which means a wildfire can start in oasis if you're just outside of it. On the flip side, this means that your boats (and kelp, I guess?) would be safe from wildfires as long as you are in the sandstorm. I would activate a flingo whenever jumping on and place another boat with a lureplant within its range to guarantee that the wildfire won't start outside of it.

• Like 3

I just wanted to mention that rabbits take 2.5 days to respawn. Sometimes people make traps and after they catch a rabbit, they drop the trap in the same hole, but nothing will come out of it for 2.5 days. Instead of making a lot of traps and putting them down on all the holes, you can just rotate with a couple of traps and move them to other holes once you catch a rabbit.

If you just want a couple of morsels per day, make 2 traps and find 6 rabbit holes. Rotate the 2 traps between the 6 holes if you want to save on grass.

The faster method is by using 1 trap and approaching the rabbit from it's hole so it runs away from the hole. Place the trap between the rabbit and its home then go around and scare it towards the trap. This way you can trap any rabbit you find right away and just need 1 trap at a time.

Edited by ryvrdrgn14
  • Like 7

You can use a saddle to aggro a beefalo by attempting to place it on it. This will cause only that specific beefalo to get angry and chase you, and you wont lose saddle durability like a normal saddle shake off. Much faster than leading them away with grass but only really useful in a beefalo rush or late game horn farming. It even works if they're sleeping! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7
  • Big Ups 1

20 hours ago, Bluepufferfish said:

It even works if they're sleeping! 

This is a very important tip for playing in Lights Out worlds. Also, Beefalos don't lose domestication while asleep, so it's actually easier to fully tame them in Lights Out, since they sleep imeediately after you dismount them (before even walking away!)

Also for Lights Out, an important tip is the only way to get birds during night-time is that Catcoons can (rarely) throw up live birds if you give them gifts and wait a bit. Note: becuase the Catcoon bird drop rate is so low, you will need lots of gift giving and waiting. (I'm talking attempts in the hundreds.)

Edited by sinisterrkid
  • Like 11
  • Potato Cup 1