Any unknown mechanic to share?

While hallowed nights didn’t get any new content, the steeped lunar essence actually got 2 new uses: you can turn lightbulbs into bulbous lightbugs, and light flowers into bulbous lightbug spawners.

In particular, the latter is nice if you don’t want to go into the lunar caves to get more lightbugs, especially if you do not want to deal with the shadow war stuff if that is active.

In addition, Applied horticulture will work on the plants, reducing the enormous 12 day growth timer after “picked” to basically zero.

One more thing: you cannot under any circumstances use the essence on the forest stalkers light flowers. Those are considered separate from normal light flowers, and will always fail the transformation.

• Like 15
  • GL Happy 1

2 hours ago, Maxil20 said:

While hallowed nights didn’t get any new content, the steeped lunar essence actually got 2 new uses: you can turn lightbulbs into bulbous lightbugs, and light flowers into bulbous lightbug spawners.

In particular, the latter is nice if you don’t want to go into the lunar caves to get more lightbugs, especially if you do not want to deal with the shadow war stuff if that is active.

In addition, Applied horticulture will work on the plants, reducing the enormous 12 day growth timer after “picked” to basically zero.

One more thing: you cannot under any circumstances use the essence on the forest stalkers light flowers. Those are considered separate from normal light flowers, and will always fail the transformation.

do you know if it works with reanimated skeletons light bulb? 

also, free lightbugs dies or works like moles and rabbits?

4 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

do you know if it works with reanimated skeletons light bulb? 

2 hours ago, Maxil20 said:

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 4
  • Shopcat 1

If you're playing with Woodie, and somehow you managed to lose Lucy, craft any axe, and swing it into a tree. Lucy will tele-swap places with that axes, and she'll wind up in your hands. Just don't get surprised if you find a 99% axe in the middle of nowhere

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

20 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

If you're playing with Woodie, and somehow you managed to lose Lucy, craft any axe, and swing it into a tree. Lucy will tele-swap places with that axes, and she'll wind up in your hands. Just don't get surprised if you find a 99% axe in the middle of nowhere

to add, it doesnt work with moon glass axe so woodie can use them

• Like 3

Some of the Hallowed Nights "candy," like raisins and not-so-candy corn, actually counts as a vegetable! That means you can feed animals like moon moths or lightbugs in your inventory with them. Since candy doesn't spoil and isn't so good for actually eatingthis can be a nice alternative use for some.

• Like 13

There are 3 different ways of playing DST- 3 types of game modes, Survival, Wilderness & Endless (although on Xbox One I can’t seem to select Wilderness because it jumps right past it.. :()

Survival- All players who die become a spooky ghost, spooky ghosts drain sanity of all remaining alive players, ghosts can be healed using a Telltale Heart or by using Meat Effigy or Resurrection Stone, Players who die and are revived are resurrected with a lower over all health core that can only be healed by booster shots the game ends when all living players are dead.

Wilderness- Players can pick a character and will spawn anywhere in the “surface” world completely Randomly (I wish this extended to caves as well but yeah..) When you die you do NOT become a spooky ghost, you are instead immediately returned to the character select screen to pick a new character & spawn randomly in the world somewhere again. All explored Map is blacked out again each time you die- and there are no types of Resurrection Items in this Mode, You can’t use Resurrection Stone, Meat Effigy Etc.. 

(This mode is great for PvP or for players who want to explore the Lunar Island content without having to you know.. actually find the island first)

Endless- Dead players become a Spooky ghost, ghosts do not drain sanity of living players, Ghosts can be revived by All forms of resurrection plus can Revive themselves by simply haunting the Florid Portal. If your NEW to the game or just want to build a world without the added stress of having your world erased when you die- Play Endless Mode, Resources here replenish faster.. and if you happen to die- You can remain a ghost however long as you like 

(so yes if you play Solo on Endless you can go AFK if you need to for whatever reason.. like an Emergency Poop break, and your World will not have erased itself by the time you get back!) 

Endless mode can also be the absolute best mode to play in for Creative base building.. (I intentionally Die just for some spooky skeletons laying around!)

I understand that these tips may be known by most of the community- and that’s fine i posted it however for the people who Were not already aware :) 

So to them, this could be rather helpful informations.

Wendy can use Abigail to tank tentacles. Once a tentacle hits Abigail, it will stay on her, allowing Wendy to constantly attack it until it is dead. A full health Abigail is usually good for 3-5 tentacle kills, depending on your weapon. Just cross over the tentacle and make sure Abigail is the one in range when it attacks then immediately go ham on it.

You get 2 monster meat, tentacle spikes and some tentacle spots to help out your local Wickerbottom or Wurt. It is pretty easy to farm tentacles as Wendy even if you are playing at 200+ latency and you can help Wicker rush 7 spots to get a boss kill setup done before winter hits. Abigail should regenerate fully after one day and you can use potions to speed up that process. Since you are also getting monster meat and maybe killing extra spiders along the way, you are also building up the food supply in the process.

If your weapon is good enough, you can even have Abigail tank 2-3 tentacles at the same time to clear clumps of them.

Edited by ryvrdrgn14
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

so yes if you play Solo on Endless you can go AFK if you need to for whatever reason.. like an Emergency Poop break, and your World will not have erased itself by the time you get back!

For survival players: A bush hat, a belt of hunger, and a full lantern can give you a mostly safe short-term afk setup. With appropriate weather-resistance.

The bush hat + light source is the most important, so if you need to swap things around for weather then use the chest and hand slots for light + weather resistance.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

Some of the Hallowed Nights "candy," like raisins and not-so-candy corn, actually counts as a vegetable! That means you can feed animals like moon moths or lightbugs in your inventory with them. Since candy doesn't spoil and isn't so good for actually eatingthis can be a nice alternative use for some.

This worked really well for me when I was doing a beefalo rush in a pub. Both kinds of raisins work, the corn as stated, and lava pepper (I think) for raising obedience, so you can take some of the burden off of twigs for a couple days with them. 

• Like 3

I'm sure some of this has been posted already but I'm not reading 20 pages : )

- If you're desperate for sticks you can plant trees and dig up the sapling for 1 stick

- If you're incredibly desperate for sticks you can dig up a spikey bush with a shovel for 1 stick AND take no damage

- Lureplants planted on boats won't spawn eyeplants but still produce leafy meat

- If you burn (and ideally then extinguish) a bee hive/box the bees will become "homeless" and start roaming the world looking for flowers, after visiting six flowers they will spawn a new flower the next time they land. The new flower will depend on the other 6 flowers they visited (6 normal = new normal flower, 6 evil = new evil flower, a mix will produce a chance of each) with enough bees you can produce massive fields of flowers, great for quick sanity/rot/manure (if fed to werepig)/and a mediocre source of nightmare fuel if using evil flowers.

- If you have a bird & birdcage you can recycle your meat into eggs if you have too much and its spoiling, then if the eggs are spoiling you can cook them and feed them to the bird again for fresh eggs

- Werepigs drop the required 2 meat and pigskin for a hambat, converting a friendly pig with four monster meat and then killing the werepig is a good way to get the materials for a great boss fight weapon, as long as you don't let the meat rot you can wait to craft it until moments before a big fight and it will have 100% freshness and max damage

- You can feed glow berries to pets to make them glow and get a temporary light source without the sanity hit

- If you damage Dragonfly enough for her to drop some scales and then leave her arena and relog (only really good for solo play/with friends) you can return and damage her again until she drops another set of scales and repeat as many time as needed. This works especially well if you lead her into a small "alleyway" in between two bunnymen pens and let them damage her until the scales drop.

- If you burn Antlion's sand spikes/castles they will turn to glass and can be moved around like statues and used for decoration/blocking mobs

- If Antlion causes an earthquake when you are in the caves there will be a cave-in and boulders will drop from the ceiling, these can also be moved like statues and used for decoration & to block mobs or as a source of rocks/flint/nitre.

- If you mine all the moon glass from a hot spring that had a bath-bomb put in it during the night of a full moon it will fill up with water again at the end of the night, meaning you can get a harvest of moon glass every full moon if you're quick enough mining all your hot springs (there's better ways to spend a full moon though)

- If you chase McTusk for long enough (in one direction away from his igloo) eventually he will stop running and start calmly walking back to his igloo giving you a great opportunity to stun-lock and kill him. If you run up and quickly kill both hounds, McTusk will break you out of being frozen with his first dart, then you can start chasing him down, sometimes he will fire off another dart just as you reach him and you can stun-lock him here as well

- Ice staves are a very inexpensive way of getting the attention of creatures that run away from you (koalafants/volt goats)

- (not 100% sure on this one, someone confirm?) You can create a "new" beefalo heard by taming a beefalo and then moving it to where you want the heard to be. Leave it penned in until it becomes wild again and during the next mating season it will produce a baby beefalo

- You can move volt goat herds if you have a lot of time and patience. Start by killing all but one goat, then start sweating as if this goat dies your whole herd is gone forever. Now wait for night and when the goat is asleep you want to start nudging it's completely rigid sleeping body towards where you want the heard to be. The fun part is that this goat doesn't represent the herd you are moving, there's actually an invisible marker that sort of lazily follows the herd around that the goats are all tethered to as well. Personally I pen the goat in during the day and do the moving at night but if you move it too quickly the marker will still be lagging behind and the goat will always try to run back to it. If the goat is running in different directions (even when penned) then the marker is likely close by and you can continue moving the goat. The herd will respawn in the new location over time as long as at least 1 goat is left alive (up to the maximum amount of goats you had before)

- Mole burrows have *unlimited* storage and whatever they are storing can be retrieved by digging up the burrow, great for massive amounts of turf

- If you catch a mole but leave the burrow intact and then take them to the caves or surface (opposite to where you got them) and release them they will create a new burrow and the burrow you got the mole from will spawn a new mole after a few days, you can create huge mole farms from this and then dig up the burrows for minerals during dusk/night time (burrows drop whatever the mole has stored in them + 1 random mineral)

- I'm unsure of the exact cause but as well as being "pushed" through mobs can still occasionally move through walls made from skeletons/statues/boulders/structures when offscreen which makes them bad for penning in creatures but still great for protecting the player (during hound waves or moon altar event). If making "bait" stations I'd suggest using walls/gates/fences as I've never seen anything "phase" through proper walls.

- No-Eyed-Deer won't despawn if they're near structures so penning in a herd will let you keep them around (anyone confirm this I might have made it up?)

- You can hammer beefalo horns and deer antlers to get bone shards (This isn't true but dear god Klei please make it a thing)

Edited by D7X
  • Like 1
  • Shopcat 1

I'm not sure if this can be done on all platforms, but it sure is possible in PC. When playing with a controller, the game has a lock-on function that can be used on any entity with health points. Just hold the Examine button on the target for around two seconds and the game will keep the selection on the target until it is unlocked with the Secondary action button or the entity ceases to exist. It's the equivalent of an aimbot for mouse users.

Edited by 7-Bits
  • Like 1

If you base in the swamp, leave chester next to murky ponds. He will outregen all mosquito damage and mosquitos eventually suicide. Since you're relatively nearby the game won't unload them either, so you get infinite sacks farming.

• Like 21

I always use blue light for my glowcap but recently discover that the radius of the light is different for each color. Thought it was the same for each and design my base with the blue radius as a reference which is the smalest ...

Green give the best radius.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1