Any unknown mechanic to share?

Straw hat and parasol can be enough to stay dry in spring, both super easy to craft without science. Straw hat (20%), parasol (50%), and standing under a tree (35%) gives 105% protection, then just burn a twig or log, or stand near any fire to see your wetness go down quickly.

Edited by Bird Up
  • Like 9

Not much of a hidden mechanic but, you can charge into birds as the Weremoose to reset your weremeter drain. Might not kill them but from the testing I've done, the charge at least seems to register as a hit most times. Could be useful for dragging out fights or covering large distances above ground.

Edited by Owlrus
  • Thanks 6

This one is not-so-hidden, but be careful what you feed to your captive glow flies! Foods that have a health drain will impact them as well and they have a relatively small hp pool (25). I recommend feeding them a veggie you've grown from a farm or a stone fruit (which is, mysteriously, actually a veggie). 

Edited by Pinegrove
  • Like 1

If you're capturing glowflies, try to capture more than one. Should you run out of veggies to feed the glowflies, separate one starving glowfly from the stack and murder it. It will yield a lightbulb which you can feed to the rest of the stack of starving glowflies.

• Like 2
  • Sanity 4

1 hour ago, Pinegrove said:

stone fruit (which is, mysteriously, actually a veggie). 

It's a "vegetable" in the same way a tomato is a "vegetable". 
Keeping in mind that stonefruits are almost identical in appearance to avocados. 
While they are most literally fruits, no normal human is going to eat one the same way you would eat an apple. 
In cooking, it is treated as a vegetable because that's the tastes it most appropriately satisfies. 
You wouldn't make a fruit pie out of a tomato, but you would put it in a salad. 
(Yes, I know people also put sweet fruits in salads but that's not the point right now). 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Wendy C. said:

It's a "vegetable" in the same way a tomato is a "vegetable". 

Indeed the smart way to explain it. A "fruit" is also defined as a product of a specific thing, that's why it's called a stone fruit and not a stone veggie. I just thought it was a funny coincidence.

Eggs can be given to PK for 1 gold now

That means you can convert MM to gold, which is quite profitable

On 11/30/2020 at 3:18 AM, Knowbodie said:

Hammering a burnt sign still yields one board, enough to make a new one. However, there is also a chance of it dropping charcoal in addition to the boards. Not really worth the time, but you could have charcoal S T O N K S

Additionally, I always have a Direction sign prototyped since it can be useful to place the sign and burn it for heat in winter if you are in an area with no burnables. With a hammer, I get the board back and recraft it. Infinite fireplaces in winter with no cost.

Edited by loopuleasa
  • Like 6
  • Sanity 4

52 minutes ago, loopuleasa said:

Eggs can be given to PK for 1 gold now

That means you can convert MM to gold, which is quite profitable

"Now"? I've done this many times before, although you needed to cook the MM on a fire first before the update. Though personally, I just use it as a temporary measure and use trinkets (from graves for early game, tumbleweed/Oasis/ruins for late game) or eels for my main supply of gold.

(Of course, bunny puffs used to be great as well, but they might not be worth farming now with the drop table nerf)

Edited by Crestwave
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New Warly sneaky buffs: Hammering spoiled fishes now gives you boneshard with far better chance! 50% chance for smol one and 100% chance for big (if wiki doesnt lie). No longer will you need to kill your friends for food! + New farming is best! Such big harvests. Making buffs and onions is even easier now when you can get seed and crop for lil care!

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Crestwave said:

"Now"? I've done this many times before, although you needed to cook the MM on a fire first before the update. Though personally, I just use it as a temporary measure and use trinkets (from graves for early game, tumbleweed/Oasis/ruins for late game) or eels for my main supply of gold.

(Of course, bunny puffs used to be great as well, but they might not be worth farming now with the drop table nerf)

I think he means you don't have to cook the MM before giving to the bird.

It's a small change, but I appreciate it since it's very handy transforming all of those MM I have from tentacle/spider genocides into gold nuggets early/mid game without have to break my finger spamming cook.

I have to agree that fact that only now he knows you can trade eggs for gold shows he either is new or just never trades with Pig King.

Edited by Spino43

On 12/14/2020 at 5:41 PM, Owlrus said:

Not much of a hidden mechanic but, you can charge into birds as the Weremoose to reset your weremeter drain. Might not kill them but from the testing I've done, the charge at least seems to register as a hit most times. Could be useful for dragging out fights or covering large distances above ground.

You can also reset the drain by hitting threatening shadow creatures with the charge, that is, those shadows you see roaming around but that don't attack you yet because you are not insane. Charging through them counts as a hit for your meter (even though I don't think you dealt any damage to the shadow, in case you go insane afterwards)

It also counts passing with the charge over hidden enemies such as tentacles, or underground depth worms and moles, even though you don't deal damage to these either.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 8/29/2020 at 10:34 PM, maquinarara1 said:

If you equip a spider hat just right before a spider attack connects, all the other spiders will attack your attacker, making a potential civil war.

Does this one work consistently? Seems really huge if anyone can become webber on demand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, loopuleasa said:

Does this one work consistently? Seems really huge if anyone can become webber on demand.

Its weird really, I had situations where they go into full blown civil war, and sometimes all the other spiders just attack the attackers, and when the attackers die, the rest just stop.
Spider warriors tend to hold a grudge against you for way longer than regular spiders so even after you put your spider hat on they can stay mad at you for a extra seconds and are more prone to triggering the other spiders to defend you.

The best way I've found to start a spider war as a non-webber is to step on the webbing with the spider hat, and the first 3-4 spiders that start following me, send them to attack their nest by cancelling the attack animation (preferably tier 3 so I can recover the nest) and then quickly moving away from the nest without the hat, before the original spiders following my orders, make the first hit against the nest.

The spiders coming out will have really confused reactions, some will just stare and others will attack the attackers, usually causing a chain reaction.

Edited by ShadowDuelist

8 hours ago, loopuleasa said:

Yes, you just have to befriend some spiders, do a fake attack, then unequip the spider hat immediately. Webber's only really unique perk is instantly upgrading nests, which is why so many players want his rework.

4 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Its weird really, I had situations where they go into full blown civil war, and sometimes all the other spiders just attack the attackers, and when the attackers die, the rest just stop.

Likely you kept the spider hat on and it befriended the defending spiders after the attackers died, preventing any war.

4 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Spider warriors tend to hold a grudge against you for way longer than regular spiders so even after you put your spider hat on they can stay mad at you for a extra seconds and are more prone to triggering the other spiders to defend you.

Their aggro should be reset if you befriend them with a spider hat. This behavior actually useful as Webber; just briefly re-equip the hat when you accidentally attack a spider. If there are more than 10 spiders, you will need to do this more than once, but generally you can get far enough to lose the aggro of the normal spiders and just use this method on the warriors.

You can also use the spider hat to quickly destroy a den; it will befriend the spiders that pop out and have them destroy their own home. This can also be used to get a small spider army during the day—useful instead of triggering the webbing because it brings out all the spiders, including warriors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 things you can do with a torch and a watering can:

• Farm Snurtle Shell Armors
  • Farm Pigs during night (good for Webber, Wortox, Wurt or during Full Moons)
  • Farm Bunnyman one by one during day
  • Release all Bees from a box/hive to gather Bees or Honey safely
  • Farm Golden Belts (burn and extinguish a pig house during dusk/night until he exits it with a golden belt, 1% chance)
  • Release all Spiders from a spider den
  • Make a tree burn for more than 30 seconds
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2

You can walk spider den's webbing without triggering spiders!
I find it usefull when digging graves near spider dens which I dont want to (cant) destroy.

Spoiler

1. step on the edge of webbing,

2. spiders will come out to check the place you stepped in 

3. run in circle on webbing around den immeadiately to avoid aggro spiders 

4. once they go back to den, you're free to walk on webbing, without triggering any more

(better done with tier 3 dens, because of web width)

• Like 4
  • Sanity 2

7 hours ago, Electroely said:

The watering can's effect is AoE and can actually make Dragonfly wet enough to calm it when it's enraged. You just need to use the watering can on a burning object rather than Dragonfly itself.

Doesnt this work best if you tile the ground where you fight Dfly and then target the ground during fight?

Basically fight on top of a farm plot, to avoid some pan flute uses.

• Like 1

Just found this out today: Funcaps placed on Pigs still spawn Mushroom Spores.

I have a small full moon pig farm set up which is conveniently placed directly next to my mushroom planters. I use some of the Mushrooms per harvest to make a few Funcaps and give them to the Pigs. The pigs who are stuck in place trying to get Eternal Fruitcake in a cage then spawn Mushroom spores which I catch and replant - I gain WAY more mushrooms than before (using mushrooms to replant instead of spores) and I don't have to go into the caves to achieve this. The Funcaps don't last forever so are depleted by the next full moon and aren't wasted when the Pigs are killed. No other special resource is required except silk to catch the Spores. If you have no interest in farming veggies this can give you a ridiculous amount of Mushrooms EXCEPT FOR WINTER when they won't grow - amass Stone Fruit and Kelp and use these in Winter instead to continue avoiding farming. Disclaimer: I love the new farm plots and am having a blast this is just for anyone who may want to avoid it and procure veggies in other ways.

Another good use of Funcaps - great with Wigfrid and her constantly hungry belly - keep your food in Ice Chester, Bundling Wraps and/or any type of backpack and the Funcaps have no effect on your food and no longer have any negative effect. Just make sure any food you gather goes into your backpack or Ice Chester and not your direct inventory. Set up mushroom planters at outposts and mini bases and restock them by simply catching the spores you create on your journeys - again except for Winter you will be set for filler and just need to find meat to cook it with.

Oh sorry you can also use the Spores to constantly power your Mushlights without having to go into the caves to do so. Festive Lights are obviously much better but for newer worlds or while Winters Feast isn't active this is an amazing light source set up.

Edited by GelatinousCube
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, BeeClops said:

It can also be used on crockpots to speed up the cooking process.

Correct! Also, by doing so you get a dish that has 100% freshness, but the extra servings (if applicable) would be lost:

1228974503_DontStarveTogetherScreenshot2020_12.20-12.54_12_40.png.343eb95fbee4b7f2d4241b9abc773bea.png

Edited by Tykvesh
  • Like 5