Any unknown mechanic to share?

13 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

I feel like with this kind of thread, the Insulated Pack has already been talked about a ton, but since it's 24 pages I'm gonna run the risk of repeating information and say: live animals placed in an insulated pack will take longer to starve, since their hunger is sort of just a fancy spoilage! Very very nice for Lightbugs!

I know the forums search bar is somewhat broken or i haven't figured how to use it properly, but shouldn't there be a way to search "insulated pack" in the thread? That would be helpful to solve the possibly repeated tips

• Like 3

While waiting for my captured Eel to intentionally spoil I got attacked by a hound wave, the Eel was just a few inches from spoiling when the Blue hounds I attacked apparently Restored it’s spoil timer to fresh again.. it makes sense considering It’s a Eel and it just got Watered... but Dang it Man!

Also during this same Eel spoiling attempt- I decided welp that’s not going to happen anymore, so I will just put the Eel inside Chester and let him spoil that way since.. Ya know it’s mid-spring with Endless Rain so it’s probably not going to spoil in my inventory.

guess what guys? By doing this I have accidentally discovered that Eels still STACK if placed inside Chester.. 

E9021340-0602-49CE-9BCD-A240ACFA9C3B.thumb.jpeg.72ff77595016c7e6d40bbf190e360b50.jpeg

So 1- Eels spoil time refreshes if hit by Ice hound. 2- Eels stack in Chester.

Would be lovely if this works for Wurt and Fishies as well.. Anyone know?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

While waiting for my captured Eel to intentionally spoil I got attacked by a hound wave, the Eel was just a few inches from spoiling when the Blue hounds I attacked apparently Restored it’s spoil timer to fresh again.. it makes sense considering It’s a Eel and it just got Watered... but Dang it Man!

Also during this same Eel spoiling attempt- I decided welp that’s not going to happen anymore, so I will just put the Eel inside Chester and let him spoil that way since.. Ya know it’s mid-spring with Endless Rain so it’s probably not going to spoil in my inventory.

guess what guys? By doing this I have accidentally discovered that Eels still STACK if placed inside Chester.. 

E9021340-0602-49CE-9BCD-A240ACFA9C3B.thumb.jpeg.72ff77595016c7e6d40bbf190e360b50.jpeg

So 1- Eels spoil time refreshes if hit by Ice hound. 2- Eels stack in Chester.

Would be lovely if this works for Wurt and Fishies as well.. Anyone know?

It seems that your live eel died and turned into a dead eel (you can tell by the eyes)—same thing as a butterfly dying and giving fresh butterfly wings, or more closely, a fish turning into a fish morsel. Dead eels can stack while live ones don't, same thing as fish morsels and fish.

• Like 11

If you go into a cave entrance early game and then rollback to day 1, it actually leads to another location inside the caves, so lets say you found a cave entrance near the oasis but there are not lightbulbs near, you can use this trick to get another optimal location, however this only can be used the first 5 days

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This isn't really a mechanic so much as it an unorthodox use of an item. The Bone Helm is amazing for late game wood farming as Wormwood. Trying to level a forest with Bearger or Reanimated Skeleton will always tank Wormwood's sanity and it would take a TON of sanity restoration to avoid going insane, which can be dangerous when you are also trying to "control" Bearger.

The Bone Helm renders you immune to insanity, so it allows Wormwood to farm wood just like any other character can. Just be mindful not to hit the shadows by accident.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

You can place the celestial orb inside of chester to never lose him. This is why I always have shadow chester and dedicate a slot to it. (Plus Im addicted to the extra slots)

same, my life has become so much better since I discovered the celestial Chester

Edited by BeeClops
  • Big Ups 1

Wobsters are also linked to their mounds, therefore if you catch them and store in a Tin Fishing Bin, the mound will stop spawning more Wobsters.

However, if you use Bundling Wrap, or Gift Wrap to wrap them, they will lose their link to the mounds, and the mounds will start spawning more Wobsters.

Quite a good thing to note since Wobsters are an underrated source of food (Easy to catch, 1 value in both meat and fish, can make wobster bisque with 60 healing, can be stored indefinitely in Tin Fishing Bin.)

• Like 2
  • Potato Cup 1

1 hour ago, Spino43 said:

Wobsters are also linked to their mounds, therefore if you catch them and store in a Tin Fishing Bin, the mound will stop spawning more Wobsters.

However, if you use Bundling Wrap, or Gift Wrap to wrap them, they will lose their link to the mounds, and the mounds will start spawning more Wobsters.

Quite a good thing to note since Wobsters are an underrated source of food (Easy to catch, 1 value in both meat and fish, can make wobster bisque with 60 healing, can be stored indefinitely in Tin Fishing Bin.)

That definitely sounds like a bug. You might want to report that in the bug tracker.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Spino43 said:

That's not true. I have been fishing wobsters and keeping them in a tin near my base for ages, they respawn right the next day. Maybe it's due to the distance, my base is a small walk away from my fishing spot. So just don't keep your wobsters right next to your wobsters den. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Spino43 said:

This is DEFINITELY not true. The wobsters unlink as soon as you catch them. You can literally catch a wobster and not pick it up so it goes back in the water and it won't go back into its den. Also, wobsters with no home, as you can imagine, wander around forever. It's quite funny seeing one far away from the shore.

Also, for another possibly unknown mechanic, spawners like Wobster Dens, Beehives and other such things only work properly when somebody is near them. I think this applies to all such spawners, but I find it really, really frustrating when I need frog legs in spring but there are 0 frogs around because no one lives at the ponds.

Edited by Electroely
added second paragraph
  • Like 7

I find tooth traps exceptionally annoying to manage and my nearby pigs/bunnymen take care of hound waves 2/4 of the year. 1/4 of the year (summer) I spend my time at the oasis (I have traps here) or underground. Autumn is the only time of the year where fire hounds present a real threat to my base. 

The solution: The spider queen hat has a permanent presence at the very edge of my camp, that I quickly sport when the hounds begin baying. Pigs are somewhat hard to herd but ensure survival if any manage to land a hit. Bunnymen will maul you to death should a single one catch up to you but are much easier to aggro (plus extra minor loot from hounds). Once hounds become present on screen or if you're a safe distance from base you can switch head gear and run in a large spiral. Cheap and effective to maintain.

Note: I recommend a revival item at base.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mark2020 said:

I don't know anyone else has shared this or not,

I found that Mating Beefalo attacking Chester will not change to attack players if players are attacking them.

They also really like waking up to attack Chester. They just hate Chester with a fiery passion.

• Like 2

I hardly ever see this being mentioned, but you can draw anything that has an inventory icon on mini-signs. That also includes things that you can only carry on your back (suspicious marble, statues of all materials, moon altar pieces, giant crops, glass spikes/castles) and even slurpers! Bonus: lanterns have 2 states.

minisigns.thumb.jpg.ca135056a02f0113d567cdb45a3c7fa9.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sanity 3
  • Spool 1

5 minutes ago, SonicDen220 said:

I hardly ever see this being mentioned, but you can draw anything that has an inventory icon on mini-signs. That also includes things that you can only carry on your back (suspicious marble, statues of all materials, moon altar pieces, giant crops, glass spikes/castles) and even slurpers! Bonus: lanterns have 2 states.

minisigns.thumb.jpg.ca135056a02f0113d567cdb45a3c7fa9.jpg

This also includes live animals, such as Bulbous Lightbugs.

• Like 6

Update on the list of thing you can deconstruct:
If you save pig heads for late game, you can deconstruct them with staff for double pigskin. (No nightmare fuel during full moon.)
Doesn't work very well for merm heads - still got one fish, and only double sticks and rot.

• Like 2

Heres a weird and useless, but neat mechanic to know about.

unknown.thumb.png.23c84171832718243427fe5b487a7503.png

There is a specific pose the player does for each crop of their oversized picture.

For example, all pictures in the plant registry with the oversized carrot will have one specific pose the player does (Which is the 12th frame of the cheer emote for oversized carrots), and this applies for all other oversized crop pictures.

• Like 7
  • Spool 1
  • Shopcat 1

Not sure if someone mentioned this since this thread is so long . But I have been using the antlion to my advantage to harvest a bunch of wood during summer.

I just plant about an 80 tree or so dense forest 2 screens from my base. When the ground starts to rumble , I have just enough time (if I am at my base) to run to my forest and the antlions earthquakes take care of about 30 or 40 trees instantly, stumps included.  As a bonus treegaurds can even spawn too. Just have to watch for wildfires since summer , but makes for easy logs.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Cheggf said:

You can bring anenemys from the lunar island to the mainland. They're like tooth traps with infinite durability that automatically reset.

Oh, no no no no... I have been hit by those too many times trying to kite around them. With mobs auto aggroing, once they take the heat off me I usually just leave them to fight and is a reliable method even in complete darkness. Even if I die somehow the mobs will clean up for me so a stray fire dog doesn't wonder into camp.

7 hours ago, Cheggf said:

You can bring anenemys from the lunar island to the mainland. They're like tooth traps with infinite durability that automatically reset.

I tried working with anenemys but they were kinda difficult...  They have a place radius that keeps them from being put too close to each other or other obstacles, and there is a kinda delay that prevent them from taking on hounds.

Has anyone had more success with these?  They sound like they should be more useful then they are, but I'm not always the best at putting these things together.

40 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

I tried working with anenemys but they were kinda difficult...  They have a place radius that keeps them from being put too close to each other or other obstacles, and there is a kinda delay that prevent them from taking on hounds.

Has anyone had more success with these?  They sound like they should be more useful then they are, but I'm not always the best at putting these things together.

Anenemies are amazing. They just suck at doing what tooth traps do.

The actual selling point of Anenemies is that they remain fully functional even when they are unloaded, which allows them to be use to auto-farm mobs whose position you can predict.

Place one at the center of the Ancient Guardian arena and when the ruins reset, the anenemy will start hitting the Ancient Guardian for 60 damage every minute. With just one anenemy, it takes about 20 days to kill the Guardian, but the important thing is you don't even have to be in the caves for this to work.

Similarly, you can set up an automated volt goat horn farm with this, but that's a bit more complicated to describe. Lakhnish has a great video on it somewhere on Youtube.

My current world has about 50 anenemies and I'm currently making plans to place one anenemy at every single bishop spawn in the ruins, which should remove the only source of unavoidable damage (and durability loss) the ruins have.

• Like 8
  • Ninja 1

On 5/25/2019 at 12:25 AM, DelroyBM said:

Do you know any game mechanic that could not be very popular, you use for your advantage and could let us know?

For example: If you feed a pig x4 monster meat and kill it, you get 2x meat and 1x pig skin; two out of three ingredients to prototype hambat, also, you can repeat the process to get pig skin without destroying pig houses.

if it was unknown i dont think anybody would be able to share it