Any unknown mechanic to share?

you can trigger cave earthquake by exploding gunpowder assuming that the damage it would deal is equal or bigger than the time (in seconds) until the next quake. since quakes happen eveyr 1 to 3 days, the amount of gunpowder you need to use to be 100% sure to trigger quake is 8

Edited by Parusoid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

you can trigger cave earthquake by exploding gunpowder assuming that the damage it would deal is equal or bigger than the time (in seconds) until the next quake. since quakes happen eveyr 1 to 3 days, the amount of gunpowder you need to use to be 100% sure to trigger quake is 8

A new earthquake happens 1-3 days after the last earthquake, or in other words: 480-1440 seconds after the last earthquake.

Slurtle Slime (50 damage), Gunpowder (200 damage), or Slurtles (300 damage) will reduce the time of next earthquake by the amount of damage caused with the stack of explosives in seconds, for example: 3x Slurtle Slime will trigger the next earthquake 3*50 = 150 seconds earlier.
Here's a small table about how many explosives you need (min - max) to trigger an earthquake:

Slurtle Slime: 9.6 - 28.8
Gunpowder: 2.4 - 7.2
Slurtles: 1.6 - 4.8

There's also no difference between dropping the explosives one by one or in a stack, in terms of earthquakes.

While you indeed need 8x Gunpowder to trigger an earthquake with 100% chance, the chance that you'll need 8x Gunpowder to trigger an earthquake with 100% chance is actually less than 4.2%, and it's even less if you include the required time to collect the earthquake loot, the duration till the Gunpowder explodes, etc. So 7x Gunpowder should actually be enough to trigger an earthquake.

Another hint: According to one of the previous unknown mechanics,

On 6/16/2020 at 5:21 AM, Bird Up said:

All of Walter's ammunition can be fed to slurtles and rock lobsters for slurtle slimes and companionship respectively. With just one rock or one poop, you can craft 10 items to befriend rock lobsters, or 10 items to feed slurtles for slurtle slime. It's super resource efficient.

you are able to turn 1x Rock into 10x Rocks if playing as Walter, which can be turned into 10/6 = 1.67x Slurtle Slime (Slurtles in DST require 6x Minerals to create 1x Slurtle Slime). So if you are playing as Walter, you can also use 5.76 - 17.28 rocks to create enough Slurtle Slime for an earthquake.

• Thanks 12

Walter doesn't take extra damage from bees (including the Bee Queen) while hiding inside Snurtle Shell Armor; he also doesn't lose sanity either because he hasn't taken any damage period. Very useful for fighting the Bee Queen in hand to hand.

• Like 8

I have asked about this before, and someone else just asked about it, so I figured I'd post it here:

Oasis blueprints.  You will not get a blueprint you already know, and you will only get desert goggles if you already know fashion goggles.

This is determined by who opens the package.

If you want extra blueprints don't read them until you have as many of that one as you want.  If you need desert goggles asap have a person read the fashion goggles blueprint and have only that person open all crumpled packages until they get desert goggles.

Edited by Shosuko
  • Like 9

13 hours ago, Shosuko said:

You will not get a blueprint you already know, and you will only get desert goggles if you already know fashion goggles.

That statement is wrong.

UpdateLootBlueprint = function(loottable, doer)
        local builder = doer ~= nil and doer.components.builder or nil
        loottable["goggleshat_blueprint"] = (builder ~= nil and not builder:KnowsRecipe("goggleshat")) and 1 or 0.1
        loottable["deserthat_blueprint"] = (builder ~= nil and not builder:KnowsRecipe("deserthat") and builder:KnowsRecipe("goggleshat")) and 1 or 0.1
        loottable["succulent_potted_blueprint"] = (builder ~= nil and not builder:KnowsRecipe("succulent_potted")) and 1 or 0.1
        loottable["antliontrinket"] = (builder ~= nil and builder:KnowsRecipe("deserthat")) and .8 or 0.1
    end,

You can always get the Fashion Goggles or Desert Goggles Blueprint from any Crumpled Package you open, you don't need the Fashion goggles Blueprint to get Desert Goggles and even if you already know Fashion Goggles, you can still get Fashion Goggles as Blueprint.

The only thing that changes if you have Fashion Goggles or Desert Goggles Blueprint is the chance to get the Blueprint whenever you open a package.

• Like 4

On 7/1/2020 at 11:48 AM, Viktor234 said:

That statement is wrong.

UpdateLootBlueprint = function(loottable, doer)
        local builder = doer ~= nil and doer.components.builder or nil
        loottable["goggleshat_blueprint"] = (builder ~= nil and not builder:KnowsRecipe("goggleshat")) and 1 or 0.1
        loottable["deserthat_blueprint"] = (builder ~= nil and not builder:KnowsRecipe("deserthat") and builder:KnowsRecipe("goggleshat")) and 1 or 0.1
        loottable["succulent_potted_blueprint"] = (builder ~= nil and not builder:KnowsRecipe("succulent_potted")) and 1 or 0.1
        loottable["antliontrinket"] = (builder ~= nil and builder:KnowsRecipe("deserthat")) and .8 or 0.1
    end,

You can always get the Fashion Goggles or Desert Goggles Blueprint from any Crumpled Package you open, you don't need the Fashion goggles Blueprint to get Desert Goggles and even if you already know Fashion Goggles, you can still get Fashion Goggles as Blueprint.

The only thing that changes if you have Fashion Goggles or Desert Goggles Blueprint is the chance to get the Blueprint whenever you open a package.

True the chance is not zero, but its very low.  If you're trying to fish up extra recipies for a few people while they do something else, or you're trying to get the desert goggles asap, that 1% drop rate is meaningless.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 6:26 PM, thegreatJash said:

Dunno if anyone has posted this already, sine I'm too lazy to read everything, but Walter cannot summon pets from the Rock Den because of Woby.

You can, if you get your pet with another character, then switch to Walter via the Celestial Portal. So you CAN be followed by Woby, a Vargling, a Hound, a Blue Hound, a Red Hound, a Horror Hound, a Varg, a Clay Hound and finally, a Clay Varg. I think you can also be followed by a Gingerbread Varg, if said Varg stays even if you switch to the Year of the Varg event. 

Edited by DaZoul
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

You can, if you get your pet with another character, then switch to Walter via the Celestial Portal. So you CAN be followed by Woby, a Vargling, a Hound, a Blue Hound, a Red Hound, a Horror Hound, a Varg, a Clay Hound and finally, a Clay Varg. I think you can also be followed by a Gingerbread Varg, if said Varg stays even if you switch to the Year of the Varg event. 

Someone post a video on this please!!! Spawn them in if you must.

idk if i've already mentioned this before:

If holding down Spacebar to gather metric tonnes of resources or chop down trees is getting too tiring for you or you need to do something else while gathering stuff in DS, simply:

1. Hold down spacebar.

2. While holding down spacebar, press Alt+Tab

3. The game will now minimize, while your character continues registering spacebar and therefore performing the action associated with spacebar (chopping a tree, picking up logs/grass).

Bonus: you can try holding down a directional key and pressing Alt+Tab to make your character keep going in that direction while DS is minimized.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

[...]

That reminds me: The chances that two accounts reply to a topic, which has been inactive for about two weeks, at the same time is greater than 0.

Edited by Viktor234
greater > bigger
  • Haha 9

Not sure if it's been posted , but if your in a bad spot with shadow creatures after you and are gonna die just quit out of the game. Shadow creatures are not saved when reloaded. So it's a decent way to get rid of them and get yourself out of trouble . Kinda cheesy but meh

• Like 3

Walter does not lose sanity from wearing spiderhats, so you can start spiderwars like a webber, by wearing a spiderhat and shooting an empty slinghsot, for (almost, considering the hat) free cost.

Feeding a carrot to a bunny, then just holding control+f with an empty slingshot equipped, will make all bunnies around you kill eachother and never target you (so long you dont have meat in your inventory)

Woodie's Moose form can't be targeted by the ewecus snot attack, and it is also not slowed down by the oasis sandstorm.

• Like 14

Me and @Warlockadamm just discovered if your boat breaks and you have sculptures on it, they will sink to the bottom and appear as "underwater salvageable" that can be fished out with a pinchin' winch. We looked it up and it's actually noted on the wiki that other heavy objects like the suspicious marble, celestial altar pieces, cave-in boulders, etc will also do the same. Link to more about it here.

1760984100_ScreenShot2020-07-25at12_52_43PM.thumb.png.c041e35d955018bee76121f7cfaa5399.png

Edit:

Spoiler

Couldn't help but try to make something out of this lol~

1727919537_ScreenShot2020-07-25at1_41_34PM.thumb.png.3327125c8fab4b02e519e0421584687a.png1459119651_ScreenShot2020-07-25at1_42_34PM.thumb.png.d0cf86044b8bb89815e3b21b9b9ae581.png139680368_ScreenShot2020-07-25at1_43_31PM.thumb.png.adfaf40fb7ad993673a2678fca51568e.png

Edited by reichull
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • GL Happy 1

4 minutes ago, reichull said:

Me and @Warlockadamm just discovered if your boat breaks and you have sculptures on it, they will sink to the bottom and appear as "underwater salvageable" that can be fished out with a pinchin' winch. We looked it up and it's actually noted on the wiki that other heavy objects like the suspicious marble, celestial altar pieces, cave-in boulders, etc will also do the same. Link to more about it here.

1760984100_ScreenShot2020-07-25at12_52_43PM.thumb.png.c041e35d955018bee76121f7cfaa5399.png

So if I wanna ask my crush out to a dance I can spell it out in the water and take them boating... ? <3 

(Just a joke, I don't have a crush and I don't dance... -_-  but maybe I could do pixel art? )

Edited by Shosuko
  • Haha 2

You can speed up your honey production by leaving a little to harvest at the start of the day. You harvest and it gets all the bees out of the box and on to flowers , where as leaving it alone the bees only come out 1 by 1  slowly thru the day . 

With charcoal collection in early to mid game , I have found the small evergreen trees give the most charcoal compared to medium or large versions of the tree. Its surprising how much more you get. What I like to do is find a clear area plant 15 to 20 trees and wait about a day until all are small trees ,light them all up and reap the charcoal.

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2019 at 1:56 PM, Jessie223 said:

birds have a 0% chance of leaving behind seeds when you spook them while you have seeds in your inventory

drop your seeds at least two tiles away from a bird before spooking it if you want a lot of seeds for whatever reason

a use for this would be for crafting a good bunch of woodie's goose idol very early

(this applies for flint, twigs, and grass too when birds are able to drop those for you)

If you close your backpack with the seeds inside, you can spook them and still get a chance to have a seed and it's actually pretty easy seed farming :)

• Like 5

Rabbits and butterflies can be fed with glow berries (normal and lesser) and glow berry mousse to emit light like player does. Backpack with rabbit or butterfly fed with glow berries can act like a dropped lantern. This can be handy since that allows you to both equip body slot armor and drop a lantern at the same time. Lesser glow berries provide light for 1 minute (1/8 of a day), normal ones for 4 minutes (1/2 of a day) and glowberry mousse for 16 minutes (2 days).

Edited by shadowDigga
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 4
  • Ninja 1
  • GL Happy 1

Willow's perk that increases how much fuel a fire gets from flammables also applies to night lights.

Webber can keep a pet rabbit on his person to trigger spiders to come out during the day. It very inconsistently trigger spiders to come out if you place it directly on the webbing but placing it just outside and pushing it into the webbing works always.

Moleworms instantly trigger gunpowder when they try to steal it.

Edited by ButterStuffed
  • Like 15