Any unknown mechanic to share?

The Weremoose takes 90% less damage from all sources; meaning that if he were freezing, overheating, or even starving (doesn't apply in were-form), the rate of health loss would be reduced from -1.25 health/second to -.125 health/second (pretty good if you are unfortunate enough to be caught without warmth or cold on your way back to base).

EDIT: I should also mention that, in addition to the above, it would help to extend the Moose form by placing random fences in areas you frequent so that you can punch them on your way back if needed.

Edited by Owlrus98
  • Like 11

These aren't as much "tricks or tips" as much as they are reminders for a couple things:

- People tend to neglect the fact that digging up any baby tree will give you twigs at a 1:1 ratio of pinecones.

- A Straw Roll used in a fire is worth more in fuel than its individual components.

- Any Bee from a Bee Mine behaves as "Hiveless Bees", meaning that if you were to set one off in the middle of your bee box farm they would plant their own flowers over time; furthermore you can essentially "package" bees for when you need them later using this method as the Bee Boxes will replenish themselves of bees after some time (essentially duplicating the bees).

- Any follower wearing a Funcap will have their hunger rate reduced by 25% as well, allowing you to recruit them for (essentially) 25% longer. This is best used with Wurt as Merms have a variety more uses and do not flee / sleep in the process, making total recruitment for a maxed out hunger meter last roughly 3.75 days instead of 3 normally.

- Each use of a Sewing Kit will restore exactly 5 days to an items' durability, this (in my own opinion) helps to track items more reliably than to remember the individual sewing costs of each item.

- Spider Warriors can be caught in a Rabbit Trap for an insta-kill.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

If you are server owner (preferably alone) go fishing in pond with lazy forager equipped and empty inventory. Amulet will collect fish before they are caught and image of fish will stay on the ground. After disconnecting and connecting again, you'll get double fish. Doesn't work for sea fishing.

You can use deconstruction staff on spider eggs to get lots of silk, glands and papyrus. You don't need to be Webber.

Rockjaws are also aggressive toward animals on land, so they may get stuck on the edge of water and land.

• Like 14
  • GL Happy 1

@hyiltiz Unfortunately not. Sometimes I just see Rockjaw trying to swim to the tasty no-eyed deer, and he is so busy on that, he ignore all surroundings. I still investigate, why sometimes it works and I can just kill it from land, and why not always that works.

On 5/25/2019 at 11:22 PM, S19TealPenguin said:

Cooking live animals doesn't cause naughtiness

I think that's only if you drop them and set them on fire because it's the fire that kills them. Cooking them live over a fireplace/fire pit still increases naughtiness, at least according to the wiki, which I'm quoting.

• Like 1

Cheap to craft and relatively useless Pretty Parasol can be given to Hermit Crab instead of Umbrella during the rain to unlock Umbrella task.

Hermit Crab house can be surrounded with walls to keep her outside all the time. If you build a wall as close as possible, you will still be able to upgrade the house without having to destroy the wall.

Trusty Slingshot without ammo can be used to safely and cost-free inform your allies of a target from a distance. For example, to make Houndius Shootius kill birds for you. (In fact, this can be done with other ranged weapons, but the room to both agro ally and cancel attack is very small).

At least 4 (3 if you store them in insulated pack, 2 if you are playing as wurt) sunfishes (summer's seasonal fish) can be used in conjunction to tin fishin bin to keep you warm on the boat cost-free. When the fish is about to die, swap it with another sunfish, preferably the one that has the lowest spoilage. Additionally, sunfishes emits light when dropped on the ground like a charged thermal stone (enough to keep charlie away) and also dries you up. Be careful as after like 3-4 seconds sunfish will cause stuff around to smolder, so pick them up periodically to avoid fires. Ice Breams (winter's seasonal fish) can be used to prevent overheating in summer, but it's not that useful due to ice box loaded with thermal stones being able to do exactly the same thing.

Masts only block placement of other masts, which means you can build other stuff right on top of them. This, however, is only useful for structures without collision box or with a very small one, otherwise the mast will become unreachable. I mostly use that feature to both have a mast and an unskinned mushlight at the exact center of the boat. If you have a second mast or don't have mushlight unlocked yet, you may consider building ocuvigil on top of mast too. (I prefer unskinned mushlight to skinned one or glowcap due to smaller hitbox and very rare occasions of accidentally interacting with it instead of the mast)

Edited by shadowDigga
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, shadowDigga said:

Masts only block placement of other masts, which means you can build other stuff right on top of them. This, however, is only useful for structures without collision box or with a very small one, otherwise the mast will become unreachable. I mostly use that feature to both have a mast and an unskinned mushlight at the exact center of the boat. If you have a second mast or don't have mushlight unlocked yet, you may consider building ocuvigil on top of mast too. (I prefer unskinned mushlight to skinned one or glowcap due to smaller hitbox and very rare occasions of accidentally interacting with it instead of the mast)

It works well if you place the mast at the edge of the other item's hitbox.  So lets say you will place a crock pot that will cover a 3x3 area.  Instead of placing the mast dead center place it 1 off from center and then place the crock pot.  You will be able to reach the mast still, although only from that corner.

Edited by Shosuko

If you're going to farm morsels as Walter I recommend using a Friendly Scarecrow in an area where crows usually spawn as it will replace them with Canaries. Canaries will almost always drop morsels (a 91% drop rate! compared to the average 50% from any other birds) and have similar naughtiness points as redbirds. Build a scarecrow, pop on a Feather Hat, and have fun making bank on morsels and krampus spawns.

• Like 4

Woodie can avoid the full moon curse by using the berry bush hat or Snurtle shell and wait till full moon ended. He also can tell the difference between glow berries and depths worms (different quotes).

If a birb is nearly starving it will not sleep at night.

Hound will not spawn when you are on boat before the warning indication begin.

Spiders are aggroed by Glommer but can’t successfully attack it.

Eggnog is considered a meat item (I learnt it the hard way when bring eggnog into the bunny farm).

You can put one band man in hutch, make music hutch to get sanity aura.

Spider queens will not despawn if there are already a number of nests around them.

Edited by FuriousChimera
typo, fix slurtle to snurtle oopss.
  • Like 12

3 minutes ago, FuriousChimera said:

slurtle shell

*Snurtle Shell, since you can't hide in a Slurtle Shell

3 minutes ago, FuriousChimera said:

He also can tell the difference between glow berries and depths worms ( different quotes).

That one appears to be an oversight from Klei: Sinde Woodie doesn't have a quote for the Mysterious Plant, he uses Wilson's quote when examining a Mysterious Plant and his own quote when examining a hiding Depths Worm, giving him a different quote for the Depths Worm.

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, FuriousChimera said:

Hound will not spawn when you are on boat before the warning indication begin.

that hasn't been my experience, i've peen sailing the edges of a pub map for a couple days now and a couple times now i've been sailing before the sound started and got mobbed by winter hounds before i could get to shore

• Sad Dupe 1

27 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

That one appears to be an oversight from Klei: Sinde Woodie doesn't have a quote for the Mysterious Plant, he uses Wilson's quote when examining a Mysterious Plant and his own quote when examining a hiding Depths Worm, giving him a different quote for the Depths Worm.

What? He does have unique quotes for both. Where'd you get that info? Wilson says "Seems safe to me." and Woodie says "Just a regular old plant."

7 minutes ago, gaymime said:

that hasn't been my experience, i've peen sailing the edges of a pub map for a couple days now and a couple times now i've been sailing before the sound started and got mobbed by winter hounds before i could get to shore

It's definitely been my experience. Sometimes I would be busy on a boat right next to shore and my friends on the server would start warning others/complaining about hounds even though I'm not getting the warning sounds nor the character quotes.

A small fun fact regarding Rockjaws: They apparently fight each other. I was sailing one day and saw a couple of them fight, swimming back and forth and taking a bite out of each other every time.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Electroely said:

What? He does have unique quotes for both. Where'd you get that info? Wilson says "Seems safe to me." and Woodie says "Just a regular old plant."

Didn't realize that they actually fixed his quote about the Mysterious Plant, but I can tell you that I got that info from when Woodie was saying "Seems safe to me." when examining a Mysterious Plant.

4 hours ago, Electroely said:

It's definitely been my experience. Sometimes I would be busy on a boat right next to shore and my friends on the server would start warning others/complaining about hounds even though I'm not getting the warning sounds nor the character quotes.

maybe it is an error? i haven't had that issue in the spring and autumn i have played(i was on land for all three that i experienced) but perhaps it is a winter issue? i have no idea, of course i was playing before the most recent update when it happened

for sure on the berry picking thing, worm berries are always wet so if the cave is dry there is your clue

5 hours ago, Electroely said:

A small fun fact regarding Rockjaws: They apparently fight each other. I was sailing one day and saw a couple of them fight, swimming back and forth and taking a bite out of each other every time.

They are also susceptible to each other's AoE attacks.

15 minutes ago, gaymime said:

maybe it is an error? i haven't had that issue in the spring and autumn i have played(i was on land for all three that i experienced) but perhaps it is a winter issue? i have no idea, of course i was playing before the most recent update when it happened

Did you hear the hound warning yourself? It could be that the hounds spawned for another player on land and you ended up aggroing on you as you got close to the shore.

• Like 1

Imo is true about not having attacks on boats but only if you're all time on boat. Spending any time on land when is about time of attack for sure triggers it and returning to boat doesn't cancel that. I had unlucky story about that... xD

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

They are also susceptible to each other's AoE attacks.

Did you hear the hound warning yourself? It could be that the hounds spawned for another player on land and you ended up aggroing on you as you got close to the shore.

i was the only player in the world x''D i really hope they spawned for me

• Haha 1

If you set the game to PvP, be careful using your own catapults as they can damage you. If they kill you the reason for death is stated as "Winona´s catapults"

If you are fighting Dragonfly, do not exit the game and return, as it can deaggro and leave the battle inmediatelly when you return.

If you manage to capture Bearger (in a lunar island or trapping him using lureplants for example), unless set for more beargers in the game settings, there will be no more instances of him. Making autumm much safer. Unlike deerclops, bearger doesnt despawn.

Rockjaws doesn´t like being on any ground. If spawned using control commands, it will flail it´s way to the nearest ocean, using any sorts of constructions are ineffective, stone walls are destroyed, end tables and fossils are jumped over, lurelants are jumped over and destroyed.

If you spare Klaus´s gem deers, those will never grow antlers, and will not create a pack.

Hounds spawned by a varg are not hostile to the player by default, they will only attack if the varg targets you. The hounds will always try to stay next to the varg.

Pigmen, just after waking up after a full moon, will destroy any obstacle between food and them.

Antlion is the only seasonal boos to not use the seasonal boss music, if you fight treeguards, spider queens and/or bearger, the music will be different.

All bosses have now sculptures, minibosses like treeguards, posion birchnuts and spiderqueens do not.

If you equip a spider hat just right before a spider attack connects, all the other spiders will attack your attacker, making a potential civil war.

If a damaged clockwork rook smashes broken clockworks and spawn another clockwork creature, the spawned clockwork will attack the rook, but will still be hostile to you though.

Crabking is the only boss that cannot attack you directly, so using any armor is usless, on the other hand using a warming piece of clothing may help against it´s freezing attack.

• Like 3

On 8/29/2020 at 7:22 PM, gaymime said:

A player in server gave me this command to check: print(TheWorld.Map:IsVisualGroundAtPoint(ThePlayer.Transform:GetWorldPosition()))

That checks whether hounds would spawn or not because you're on ocean.

Edited by FuriousChimera
  • Like 1