Any unknown mechanic to share?

17 minutes ago, ShadowQueen said:

As far as I understand Jazzy mentioned the miner's hat, but its not that it gets colder "because" of the miner's hat, its because he likes using it for the caves and the miner's hat as no insulation, causing the thermal to get cold faster than if he was using a Beefalo hat or a Tam, on the surface. Also during winter in caves it rains almost non-stop. causing you to get colder faster too (If you don't wear any waterproof gear, that is)

I am not an expert on how thermals change temperature and all the math behind it which is rather complicated to me, but I never really experienced my thermal getting colder faster because of the miner's hat, TBH.

Thermal stones have their own internal temperature similar to player temperature. This temperature determines what color they will be (white, yellow, orange, etc) along with how much heat they emit. Thermal stones have 120 insulation, and so their internal temperature drops 1 degree every 5 seconds when its cold out. Nothing, not even player insulation or... miner hats? can affect thermal stone insulation or temperature loss rate. Player clothing insulation slows down player temperature loss once your thermal has run out or when you don't have a thermal or heat source. Miner hats aren't even in the picture.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

A new change sneaked into the update! The Giant Trees in the Waterlogged biome have a 70% chance to spawn a firefly nearby when a new day hits if there's less than 10 fireflies in the area, allowing for easily renewable fireflies!

This does not apply to the player grown ones however.

Edited by Hornete
  • Like 10
  • GL Happy 6

22 minutes ago, Hornete said:

A new change sneaked into the update! The Giant Trees in the Waterlogged biome have a 70% chance to spawn a firefly nearby when a new day hits if there's less than 10 fireflies in the area, allowing for easily renewable fireflies!

This does not apply to the player grown ones however.

Omg seriously? thats awesome! I wonder why they didnt mention this in the notes, we’ve all been clamoring for it :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not really game-altering in the slightest but it never occurred to me funny enough. Instead of bringing multiple dark swords with you, you could bring ingredients to make more swords on the go if you think you may need some more. Saw this on Glerm's stream.

Same concept as above, and also found on another stream but.. As an alternative to rowing, you could lower your sails and anchor and simply start the process of raising anchor so that the sails make you edge the boat closer where you want, and drop the anchor mid-raise to immediately halt movement. I personally would use it as a way to choose where I want to go ahead of time but I'm not entirely sure.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Owlrus said:

Same concept as above, and also found on another stream but.. As an alternative to rowing, you could lower your sails and anchor and simply start the process of raising anchor so that the sails make you edge the boat closer where you want, and drop the anchor mid-raise to immediately halt movement. I personally would use it as a way to choose where I want to go ahead of time but I'm not entirely sure.

Now that I can fine tune the boat's speed and even bring it to a complete halt just by using an oar, the method of partially raising the anchor seems far too slow and clunky imo.

At least for navigating around obstacles. I still use it when I'm near the coast and drop the anchor too early to actually reach it.

Edited by QuartzBeam
  • Like 1

I'm not sure if this is already mentioned....but you can easily overheat in winter by placing two firepits/furnaces close to eachother. Overheating during winter provide many benefits.

Edited by M4dMuffin

7 hours ago, JoSmoCoolStuf said:

2 players or more can place crockpots closer to each other with proper timing :wilson_love: 

image.png.82a09605823e68572217cbfe516e0851.png

Disclaimer: I did not do this. Never seen in public Klei worlds, only in an Endless random world :wilsontea:

yeah you can go pretty deep with this principle and good coordination. 2 players can be 3, crockpots can be something else, and they can potentially be placed right on top of each other. I've seen rows of triple drying racks for example

one lureplant can hold up to 520 (not 600) grass (and other items that stack up to 40) so if you reading 10 times (2 full books per 1 lureplant) then lureplant just need to reach 52 grass tufts per read
useful info when you want to save on rot and fertilizing times and when you want all the grass wither at the same time (so no unexpected grass needing fertilization while you are halfway thru reading books)
20210423224711_1.jpg

Edited by Parusoid
  • Like 8
  • Big Ups 1

[EDIT: Got fixed B-) ]

In their current state, Knobbly Tree Nuts are totally bonkers.

As far as I can tell, they're the only "farmable", entity-blocking, indestructible heavy object as of now.

And by indestructible, I mean indestructible! They won't even burn, let alone be obliterated by the Alter Guardian.

ASD5.thumb.png.4d82e8731fe6a673633a5f3a3df427e2.pngASD4.thumb.png.9b9ebd5b3eb29ae6f8089fbce4630092.png
ASD3.png.ca6ec5a7582915925f153aab5712be87.pngASD2.thumb.png.fde87b9fc1022a2c29a3b4672dae3345.pngASD1.png.7f7c2b58a94c2a701b4452e442d7c4f9.png

I suppose this will (and should) change in a future update, but for now they're quite handy for domesticating space robots :)

Edited by Tim S.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4
  • GL Happy 1

1 hour ago, -Variant said:

Today I found out sunken objects can block waves. 
This is amazing! You can drop objects in the water to form walls that waves cannot pass through or form on.
image.thumb.png.a2bc05f48c621e757af43e203d9cac91.png

Now I can keep my Barnacle Farm safe from those stupid Gnarwails, thanks a lot.

• Like 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

Probably not that "unknown" like most other tips in here, but...

During summer antlion only spawns (and makes sinkholes) if the world is dry. So if you have a bunch of telelocator staves you can effectively banish antlion by forcing the rain every few days. No wildfire + no sinkholes + constant rain = hotter spring basically.

Another benefit of this is that you can farm fireflies at the oasis' lake. During summer, they respawn every time the lake's filled - but if there's rain and the world's still wet (which strangely enough drains the lake), at night you can catch those fireflies. When the world's dry again the lake will be filled and the fireflies will instantly respawn.

• Like 6
  • GL Happy 1

46 minutes ago, OsiriCousland said:

During summer antlion only spawns (and makes sinkholes) if the world is dry. So if you have a bunch of telelocator staves you can effectively banish antlion by forcing the rain every few days. No wildfire + no sinkholes + constant rain = hotter spring basically.

Yeah, but "a bunch" in this instance means approximately 4+ Telelocator Staves just to start the rain and it will be over just as fast as it started.

50 minutes ago, OsiriCousland said:

Another benefit of this is that you can farm fireflies at the oasis' lake. During summer, they respawn every time the lake's filled - but if there's rain and the world's still wet (which strangely enough drains the lake), at night you can catch those fireflies. When the world's dry again the lake will be filled and the fireflies will instantly respawn.

You can farm a lot more fireflies a lot faster and year-round from Giant Tree Trunks now, so the oasis method is effectively obsolete.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Yeah, but "a bunch" in this instance means approximately 4+ Telelocator Staves just to start the rain and it will be over just as fast as it started.

Never said that it's a go-to method for dealing with summer - to me it's a bonus to what I really intend to do with the rain: mass produce vegs on such a scale that I never have to bother with a bird for years, permacharge wx-78, farm nm fuel with willow, and most importantly to me: the freedom to choose where I want to be regardless of seasons. Not to mention antlion is an annoying but wimpy boss and the loots are basically useless after a dozen fights anyway.

And, well, the purple gems add up, and I'm out of geckos to teleport.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I do that pretty much every summer, a 8 varg gem farm can supply you pretty well with the materials you need, plus the number of staves needed is actually lower once the rain has started - itll only take a single use to make it go from light rain to heavy rain, which will persist for quite a while.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 6:15 PM, -Variant said:

Today I found out sunken objects can block waves. 
This is amazing! You can drop objects in the water to form walls that waves cannot pass through or form on.
image.thumb.png.a2bc05f48c621e757af43e203d9cac91.png

good knowledge for future crab king base projects

• GL Happy 1

Not really an “Unknown” Mechanic, but a useful one nonetheless 

As Maxwell I had a ridiculously hard time lowering my sanity to farm nightmare fuel in Solo DS.. that WAS until I remembered jumping in a Wormhole drains sanity- So you can jump in and out of a wormhole repeatedly to tank Maxwells Sanity to 0 and get nightmares to spawn for easy nightmare fuel farming without wasting things such as mushrooms that instead of being used to lower sanity could be used to recover it when your done farming some NM fuel.

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Not really an “Unknown” Mechanic, but a useful one nonetheless 

As Maxwell I had a ridiculously hard time lowering my sanity to farm nightmare fuel in Solo DS.. that WAS until I remembered jumping in a Wormhole drains sanity- So you can jump in and out of a wormhole repeatedly to tank Maxwells Sanity to 0 and get nightmares to spawn for easy nightmare fuel farming without wasting things such as mushrooms that instead of being used to lower sanity could be used to recover it when your done farming some NM fuel.

I think I remember seeing in a previous post that having 2 duelists and 1 miner shadow puppet will keep Maxwell perma insane. When you're done farming NF you can get back an additional 1 NF by manually killing your puppets as well.

• Like 3
  • GL Happy 1

Unsure how known this is, figured I'd share it anyways. For those of you with the event enabled or those who kept the stations, Lunar potions can be used to mutate Lightbulb plants into their grotto Variant, not just the light bulbs!
This means you can turn any lightbulb stalk you want into a source of Glow flies!
image.thumb.png.d875f2d2b68cabecb2177de98bcb35c7.png

• Like 7
  • Big Ups 1

i dont know if someone has sayd this before not goin to read almost 40 pages just if someone else posted it but i got 2 things

first thing is hold tap and click on "view player" to see what they are holding that way you can see if that wolfgang realy is ruinsrushing if he has a lantern in his hand like realy that guy asumed i was cheating or hackin because i could tell what he was using and that is not the first time someone wondered why i could know that

second thing is if you move and click on someone else that alsol moves your command will be follow wich means you can auto walk towards that person while you are able to type something longer in chat usefull for a trip to a boss and is easy to do just click somewhere to walk there and then click on a player realy many dont seem to know it exist at all

• Like 4