How did you start playing DS/DST?

I decided to start another random topic cuz why not :D

How did everyone start playing DS/DST? Did you get the game for free or did you stumble upon it?

My friend introduced me into Don't Starve & I became addicted ever since.  After 20 hours of playing DS I ditched it for DST beta & I never looked back to the single version. I couldn't survive by myself so I relied on other people lol

lol in the beggining I had a pirate Dont Starve with a All's Well that Maxwell patch. The game was too good to play it for free and incomplete so I bought it in a Summer Sale (the first and only game I've bought on steam).

A year later I got DST for free and beta for ANR but I kept playing DS until I was killed in the top day record I had achieved (it was like 300 days heh).

Before DS and DST I used to play League of Legends but left it rotting in a corner of my PC's desk after losing my chance to get Gold promotion. I miss those days now my laptop is broken. :(  Gonna try and fix it before Halloween Event.

Screenshot_2017-07-19-18-04-04-1.png

Well I got into Don't Starve by watching Jacksepticeye to play through of it on the shipmwrecked a little bit

did some research on the game found out that the characters were kind of wacky and that could be a mime and use balloons and that sold me on it even though I usually don't think twice about survival games.  So my brother was feeling nice and decide to get me a game and I asked for the Don't Starve pack and got don't starve together for free that I learned the game with Wes and played the game ever since I think that was a year ago. 

Started watching a french called TheFantasio974 and i really loved this game art and difficulty, was curious too so i bought & loved it and when  i heard about DST.. i couldn't resist the call of the giants!

I saw an advertisement on Nintendo Wii U.  At first I didn't care for it and dismissed it.  During this time, I had a favorite YouTuber.  I go through phrases of my favorite YouTubers depending on my mood.  That time, GhostRobo was my favorite YouTuber and I used to watch every new video that he had.  I saw that he was playing Don't Starve and decided to give it a watch.  I was pleasantly surprised at how fun it looked, and I eventually bought a copy for myself.  I was eagerly anticipating Don't Starve Together as well since I wanted to play with my brother.  After Don't Starve Together came out, my brother got interested in it as well.

Well, would you believe I mostly got into it because of Webber? i'm not kidding! I played the original Don't Starve on ps4 for a bit but quickly got bored of it. I gave it a second chance when I looked more into in it and learned about DST and the rest of the characters you can play as in it, the lore and gameplay was interesting to me. and on the Summer steam sale last year I decided to buy the series and gave it a try! now; i'm just your local friendly neighborhood discount spooderchild (Or WX.) with over 1,351 hours put into DST. 

After my friend told me about the game I didn't really look into it much, it wasn't until I saw videos on RoG by the Yogscast that I really got interested. I admit I did initially use a pirated copy, but I was so drawn by the RoG features that I had to buy the game & its DLC. Into the release of DST I was forced to wait until iOS support was available. Until then I satisfied myself with live streams of the game by DizzyDizaster & Flare2V, where I learned some very useful tips and tricks that allowed me to actually play singleplayer competently.

6 hours ago, GhostPhreak said:

never looked back to the single version

i once done this (well, opposite of this) and laughed really hard because of how easy everything becomes with no ping and low mob's health

anyway, a friend of mine gifted me game (think it was before RoG), after a couple of hours and obligatory gruesome deaths i complained "wtf this game is not fair at all, i attacked pig and they ganked me". and then i spent a lot of time trying to complete adventure (best way to learn how to play)

51 minutes ago, Fortie said:

i'm just your local friendly neighborhood discount spooderchild

why neighborhood? because others' bases were burnt?

17 minutes ago, brbrmensch said:

why neighborhood? because others' bases were burnt?

Not really, most of the time I set up bases myself or join others, I haven't really seen burnt bases really for griefing, but freeloaders/other guys ezpz giving directions to our base is something still common for me; I usually pre-built stuff in case I should leave the main base when I feel like too many people are in it and sometimes I live near a Spider-set piece.

I got into the game due to my buddy @toki-wartoothxx showing me pages of @Miss's Bloodeagles comics. I was alone a lot at the time and my father in the hospital that I kept reading each page of that comic daily until it became routine. Then I kept reading @Raven Crow's comic which got me into the William Carter puzzles. Those comics and the origin trailer I watched daily in February 2016 made me wonder what kind of world Wilson landed into. It was a really long time until I got the games(Reign of Giants, Shipwrecked, DST). I really thank my friend for getting me into the game lore before I could even get the game.
It was three or so months later that I made a art thread to get my thoughts out and met people who enjoyed what I made. Little audience but I was glad people  could understand what I was drawing. Big thanks to my comic company group Strange Squad for giving me the income of my conceptual art to them that I got the money for the games in the first place.
Always hyped for more lore so I can understand... THEM.

I think I bought it in a humble bundle package, but I didn't really play it until a friend who is a game reviewer/designer mentioned to me that he really really liked it. So I decided to give it a chance and there was no turning back after that.  My friend got so freaked out by the tall birds, though, that he stopped playing it and hasn't got back to it since! 

I was looking for a new game to play with my girlfriend, since she didn't like much the previous co-op games we tried (She's not much into gaming in general, and gets motion-sick with FPS games).
While browsing I saw that DST was on sale, and when reading the reviews at that time I found most to be very funny, I don't really remember them exactly but they were all sort of like:

-"The game was hard enough alone, now I have people that steals food from my fridge"
-"You will make a happy base, then you will fail miserably and die... and yet you will try again and again... why, why do you keep doing this?"
-"They didn't accept me in a camp, so I made my own camp. They made a mistake and everything on their camp burned. Now I'm not accepting them. By the way the mistake was me and a torch at night."
-"I was doing fine in my relationship with my wife, until we started playing this game"

So yeah, I thought at least it would be funny to try. I got very into the game immediately, and since my GF didn't like to talk about the game as much as I did... well that's why I'm here!

Well I used to trade games/items on steam, so one time, about three years ago, I randomly got Don't Starve, because I couldn't trade it with anybody else, I decided to add it to my library, played it for like 30 minutes, didn't understand what it was about.

Years later, I got the Don't Starve Together gift from Klei.

Recently, I remember getting tired of playing dota2, and since I was playing on linux, there wasn't many games available to play, so I decided to install Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together, watched some videos, liked it and started playing.

Soon after, I became a Klei fan. 

Interesting how randomly I got into this game.

The nostalgia:

http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/20570277

I sadly forget when I had actually bought the single player Don't Starve game, though I had fell in love with it and had bought it somewhere in 2013 I believe. It had scratched my itch for a good survival game and I had loved every creature in it instantly even to this day. I also believe that what had really got me into it was looking into the origins of the TF2 item "THE HAM SHANK" 

Backpack Ham Shank.png  OM NOM OM NOM

I magically found it with the power of searching "roguelike survival games" on Google a couple years back, I know it's not an amazing story or something, but it's how I got 1029 hours in DST now :wilson_dorky:!

I watched Jacksepticeye a lot during the early days of DS and I saw his let's plays of Don't Starve. I thought it was cool and all but I wasn't that interested. At the same time, I was a TF2 addict, and I got the Ham Shank and The Wilson's Hair cosmetics from trading. I had forgotten about the game by then, but it intrigued me to look into the game. I saw the ROG and Shipwrecked DLCs and I was hooked. I had always liked survival games, and I bought DS, ROG, Shipwrecked, and the new DST all separately, not knowing there was the Don't Starve Franchise Bundle... :wilson_hurt:  I later joined the forums a while before the Metheus puzzles started. 

A few years ago when Don't Starve first came out (I think) one of my friends mentioned it. I didn't really think much of it at the time, as I had no interest in survival games at all. A year or two later, I saw Don't Starve on sale, and a little bell rang in the back of my head. 'Hey, apparently this is good, let's get it'
And I was hooked. The artstyle, the music, the character's personalities, even lore (as I was soon to find out), all just captured my attention perfectly.

Haha!  I've seen that video, and Lewis's Dungeon-Master-esque way of not-talking about it ("The hallway seems to be empty at this time.") is EXACTLY the way I would introduce it to newbies now.  All kinds of trying not to warn so you can get the other player's REAL first reactions...trying not to even have a tone in my voice... ("You're being vague. That means it's something horrible!").

Anyway.  Heard about Don't Starve a long time ago, finally got around to looking it up, saw JackSepticeye and Sips's playthroughs, and only partway into them I decided the game was indeed for me--and it wasn't the art style that really made the deal, although it did sweeten said deal.

No, what got me was "Wait.  Wait.  This is a roguelike game...where you can actually PERMANENTLY TRULY _LEARN_ THINGS AND MAKE MENTAL _PROGRESS_?!"  I'd been burned too many times by Nethack and how everything freaking _randomises_ whenever you start a new game--not just the dungeon itself.  The fact that Don't Starve starts everything over but what you personally learned as a player from last time is still releveant, is what first made me want to yank the controller out of the Let's Player's hands and try it myself. 

Now I'm also way into the characters, lore, etc. and have even done a teeny bit of fanart, so it's all good.  :)

...Notorious

I found the Don't Starve franchise through the youtube series started by the channel Stumpt Gamers. I checked out the video thinking I may have heard of the game before I don't know where though and really enjoyed watching. This caused me to do what I usually do with games out of habit which was research just about everything that was in the game on its wiki and never buy it! (this was because I didn't want to spend money on something like a game but still converse with my friends about things that were popular in games and it has become a habit of mine since) However this time I made an exception and tried it out. I LOVE THIS GAME SO MUCH NOW!!!!! I am a dedicated Woodie player and since getting the game have 150 hours on it. I can't tell if the experience was ruined or enriched with my research though. I missed out on the proper learning experience which I know is a big part of the game. (aside from getting used to the controls and figuring out the basics of kiting which I'm still learning) However it also quickly got me noticed by some other people in the game who had more time invested than me and a lot more first hand time spent. So in part it allowed me to quickly get to the fun point of playing with seasoned players despite my lack of invested time and see first hand a lot of the results from genuine teamwork which I think might be worth it! What do you think?

Either way thanks for listening to my story and actually showing interest and have a wonderful day! :D

Saw this game on a warez site in 2013. Bought it several months later. When DST was out, bought and suggested it to 3 other friends and still play with them every week. Very happy with it progress and content update till now.

My partner is really into crafting and survival games, and picked up Don't Starve back in 2013 when it  was first released on Steam. I watched him play for a week or two and was intrigued, so he bought it for me so we could learn together. It's remained one of our favorite and most played games ever since. We both signed up for closed beta keys when DST was first announced, and were playing DST from the very early days of development.

We both tend to prefer singleplayer DS though. I'm not big into multiplayer games in general, and he already plays a couple other MMOs that have raid-style approaches. The turn DST took in that direction, while understandable, isn't quite what either of us were hoping for. When we do play DST, it's always small private servers with maybe one or two friends who we know can carry themselves.

Me and my boy @Brikelz found this game on a whim during last year's summer sale on Steam, he was weirded out by the Tim Burton artstyle at first but after we played it for a while he was like "holy guacamole i like this game". I still remember screaming at him to shave his beard for silk :lol:

I started with Don't Starve, before RoG.

I was in a discussion channel with some others people. Someone bought the game and started telling how fun it was, how often he was dying and all. Some others people tried the game and it become the main topic. I was very eager to play it but wasn't able to buy the game (no way to buy game online at the time).

Then a friend of me offered me the game and i started to play.

It was so amazing. The first discoveries, with the shared experiences on channel, it's a great memory. I remember i didn't know how to obtain charcoal and tried to burn stump, without success. IFor a long time, i wasn't digging the stump because i was thinking they will regrow in new tree. A lot of mistake. :D

It was really fun.

Archived