New Beta Update live - Skill Spotlight: Wormwood, Wolfgang, Woodie.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

The next DST beta test update is live now. The main feature of this update is adding skill trees to three more of the Survivors: Wolfgang, Wormwood and Woodie. 

Go here to see how to enter the beta branch on steam if you have not done that before.

Changes:

• Wolfgang Skill Tree added
  • Wormwood Skill Tree added
  • Woodie Skill Tree added
  • Survivors can now craft large Support Pillars to create areas safe from quake debris.
  • Equipment forged from the Brightsmithy and Shadowcraft Plinth can now be repaired using specific repair kits.  When they reach a fully broken state, they can no longer be equipped until repaired.
  • Equipment changes:
    • Umbralla can now be activated on the ground to generate an area of effect rain barrier.  Please note that acid rain does not heal the Umbralla while it is activated like this.
    • Void Cowl and Void Robe no longer provide acid rain immunity.
    • Void Cowl and Void Robe no longer drain sanity when equipped.
    • Ramping shadow planar damage buff now only requires equipping Void Cowl instead of the full set.
    • Void Robe now blocks negative sanity auras (e.g. from monsters or other scary objects).
    • Brightshade weapon buffs now only require equipping Brightshade Helm instead of the full set.
    • Brightshade Helm now prevents Charlie attacks when standing in darkness.
    • Brightshade Armor now has minor damage reflection.
    • Dreadstone Armor and Dreadstone Helm no longer drain sanity when not self-repairing.

View full update

The unbreakable qualities of the new gear is cool but I think the gear should be much more expensive and have more durability to compensate.

Support pillars are nice, glad to see that very popular suggestion get added.

Umbralla change looks neat, basically works exactly how I expected it to when it was mentioned an active would be added to it.

Void and dreadstone armor not draining sanity might actually make me consider using them over brightshade, and the blocking of sanity auras is a cool ability.

I think weapons shouldn't be tied to armor in general, and making them only need the helmet is a step in the right direction.

I'm not sure if it was my suggestion that got the brightshade helm immunity to charlie, but either way I'm really glad this was added. I do wish it blocked sanity drain from being in complete darkness however.

I'm liking these special abilities so far, good stuff.

Skill trees look like they have some really cool stuff, can't wait to mess around with them.

• Like 3

Just now, ThymeSpirit said:

It's quite funny to see everyone complain about "Wilson's only unique thing taken away", when for years the consensus was "Wilson should be as plain and boring vanilla character as possible, don't give him anything special, he is special because he doesn't do anything".

also it doesn't make sense since all the skill trees are entirely unique. it really makes no sense to me

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Jason said:

The next DST beta test update is live now. The main feature of this update is adding skill trees to three more of the Survivors: Wolfgang, Wormwood and Woodie. 

Go here to see how to enter the beta branch on steam if you have not done that before.

Changes:

• Wolfgang Skill Tree added
  • Wormwood Skill Tree added
  • Woodie Skill Tree added
  • Survivors can now craft large Support Pillars to create areas safe from quake debris.
  • Equipment forged from the Brightsmithy and Shadowcraft Plinth can now be repaired using specific repair kits.  When they reach a fully broken state, they can no longer be equipped until repaired.
  • Equipment changes:
    • Umbralla can now be activated on the ground to generate an area of effect rain barrier.  Please note that acid rain does not heal the Umbralla while it is activated like this.
    • Void Cowl and Void Robe no longer provide acid rain immunity.
    • Void Cowl and Void Robe no longer drain sanity when equipped.
    • Ramping shadow planar damage buff now only requires equipping Void Cowl instead of the full set.
    • Void Robe now blocks negative sanity auras (e.g. from monsters or other scary objects).
    • Brightshade weapon buffs now only require equipping Brightshade Helm instead of the full set.
    • Brightshade Helm now prevents Charlie attacks when standing in darkness.
    • Brightshade Armor now has minor damage reflection.
    • Dreadstone Armor and Dreadstone Helm no longer drain sanity when not self-repairing.

View full update

It would be great if the moose had no speed reduction at its maximum tier. KLEI DO IT

• Like 2

Just made an account specifically for this update.
I love Wormwood's new skills! Everyone complaining I just want you to know that change isn't always a bad thing, and it's worth giving it a shot. Please let's just see how it goes, I am a huge fan of the changes. I am looking forward to this! Thank you guys!

• Like 1

I looked at the skill tree and I gotta say, they actually want me to explore out and try other characters now because of them, if only to increase some arbitrary completeion percentage. I looked at some of the perks and I gotta say, I really do like them. It feels like the character reworks were the base of all their abilities while these were just things to tack on to make them even more unique. While this will inevitably cause a few stinkers to fall through (like Wormwood's mushroom tree) overall, I feel that they did a good job with these 3. While this doesn't mean that all the character's skill trees will be good, I am excited to see how these all pan out.

Also I find it funny how after all these years of people wanting a way to get Berry Bushes Renewably, they tacked it onto the dlc character lol.

• Like 9
  • Wavey 1

17 minutes ago, Creatorofswamps said:

Please don't do this,. . This destroys the whole concept of fear of the dark. We don't need a way to fight it. If you want it that way, then let it glow a little in the dark and lose its strength at night. It would be better than just standing in total darkness without being afraid of Charlie.

it's nowhere close a day 1 hat.

• Like 10

37 minutes ago, Creatorofswamps said:

Please don't do this,. . This destroys the whole concept of fear of the dark. We don't need a way to fight it. If you want it that way, then let it glow a little in the dark and lose its strength at night. It would be better than just standing in total darkness without being afraid of Charlie.

It's kinda just the enlightened crown but for battle so not much of a difference. It also unlocked at the same time as Perma full moons.

Edited by HowlVoid
  • Like 9
  • Big Ups 1

28 minutes ago, Creatorofswamps said:

In a normal world, this is post-Celestial Champion, nobody cares about darkness at that point and CC already drops what's pretty much an infinite light source hat.

Edit: didn't realize people already replied to you about this, whoops

Edited by Paxtonnnn
  • Like 11

On my opinion the skill trees should reset for every world so there's a sense of progress every time. Starting a brand new world with  another worlds progress feels so wrong in Don't Starve.

• Like 7
  • Big Ups 1

Just now, Whyro said:

On my opinion the skill trees should reset for every world so there's a sense of progress every time. Starting a brand new world with  another worlds progress feels so wrong in Don't Starve.

You can reset the skills when creating a new world, not sure if the skill points are kept saved or if you start with 0 points though.

I hope this makes people consider playing with normally unplayed characters to unlock their powers in other worlds, this goes mainly for Winona and Warly: if they get something cool maybe we'll see people actually play them for a while to use them later on in other worlds instead of being a pick and swap, and maybe they actually enjoy them. (Dont you dare use LongUpdate)

• Like 2
  • Wavey 1

Here are all the perks' names and descriptions only

Woodie

Spoiler

Transformation Timer I - Were-forms last a little longer.
Transformation Timer II - Were-forms last a fair amount longer.
Transformation Timer III - Were-forms last much longer.

Curse Embracer - Learn 6 Curse skills to unlock. Suffer no health or sanity penalties for eating Kitschy Idols. Return to human form without having an empty stomach.

The Werebeaver I - Mine faster in your Werebeaver form.
The Werebeaver II - Chop faster in your Werebeaver form.
The Werebeaver III - Chop, mine and break hard materials in your Werebeaver form.
The Weremoose I - Your Weremoose form is more resistant to hitting obstacles and walks a little faster.
The Weremoose II - Gain slow health regeneration in your Weremoose form.
The Weremoose III - You can stop mid-charge in your Weremoose form.
The Weregoose I - Run faster in your Weregoose form.
The Weregoose II - Become completely waterproof in Weregoose form.
The Weregoose III - Occasionally dodge an incoming attack in Weregoose form.

Only one were-form can be fully mastered. Choose wisely.
Werebeaver Mastery - The Werebeaver learns to smack the ground with his tail, destroying everything around him.
Weremoose Mastery - The Weremoose learns to throw stronger punches and has a tougher hide.
Weregoose Mastery - The Weregoose learns to fly around to explore the world, but it's a little out of control.

Quick Picker I - Collect stuff a little faster.
Quick Picker II - Collect stuff a fair amount faster.
Quick Picker III - Collect stuff much faster.
Treeguard Feller I - Deal a fair amount more damage to Treeguards.
Treeguard Feller II - Deal much more damage to Treeguards.
Treeguard Feller III - Learn to craft the Treeguard Idol, an extremely burnable effigy.
Woodworker - Use Lucy to carve boards more efficiently.
Hat Carving - Use Lucy to carve a nice Hardwood Hat for protection.
Cane Carving - Use Lucy to carve a Wooden Walking Stick for easy mobility.

Learn 12 skills to unlock.
Shadow Wrangler - The Queen will reward your loyalty by calling off her shadow creatures. (But only when you're in a were-form.)
Lunar Renegade - The Cryptic Founder will reward your curiosity by blocking the moon's ability to trigger your curse.

Wolfgang

Spoiler

Chore Workout I - Chance to one-shot while working improved to 5%.
Chore Workout II - Chance to one-shot while working improved to 10%.
Chore Workout III - Chance to one-shot while working improved to 15%.

Dumbbell Developer - Learn to craft several new dumbbells.
Heavy Hitter I - Increase the damage of thrown dumbbells by 50%.
Heavy Hitter II - Increase the damage of thrown dumbbells by 100%.

Coach Wolfgang - Learn to craft a Coaching Whistle. While coaching, Normal Wolfgang will raise friends' sanity and boost followers' damage.
Leg Day - +10% speed boost when Normal.

Push the Limits I - Use the gym to push your Mighty Meter past its limit. Mighty Meter can go up to 110.
Push the Limits II - Use the gym to push your Mighty Meter past its limit. Mighty Meter can go up to 120.
Push the Limits III - Use the gym to push your Mighty Meter past its limit. Mighty Meter can go up to 130.
Push the Limits IV - Use the gym to push your Mighty Meter past its limit. Mighty Meter can go up to 140.
Push the Limits V - Use the gym to push your Mighty Meter past its limit. Mighty Meter can go up to 150.

Gym Mastery - Perfect your gym workout. Mini game will complete automatically.

Mighty Weapons I - Bring out the full strength of planar weapons. Add +5 Planar Damage to planar weapons when Mighty.
Mighty Weapons II - Bring out the full strength of planar weapons. Add +10 Planar Damage to planar weapons when Mighty.
Mighty Weapons III - Bring out the full strength of planar weapons. Add +15 Planar Damage to planar weapons when Mighty.
Mighty Weapons IV - Bring out the full strength of planar weapons. Add +20 Planar Damage to planar weapons when Mighty.
Mighty Weapons V - Bring out the full strength of planar weapons. Add +25 Planar Damage to planar weapons when Mighty.

Shadow Guard I - The Queen will reward your loyalty with devastating strength. Add +10% of total damage fighting Lunar-aligned creatures when Mighty.
Shadow Guard II - The Queen will reward your loyalty with devastating strength. Add +20% of total damage fighting Lunar-aligned creatures when Mighty.
Shadow Guard III - The Queen will reward your loyalty with devastating strength. Add +30% of total damage fighting Lunar-aligned creatures when Mighty.

Lunar Strategist I - The Cryptic Founder will reward your curiosity by revealing the enemy's weaknesses. Add +10% of total damage fighting Shadow-aligned creatures when Mighty.
Lunar Strategist II - The Cryptic Founder will reward your curiosity by revealing the enemy's weaknesses. Add +20% of total damage fighting Shadow-aligned creatures when Mighty.
Lunar Strategist III - The Cryptic Founder will reward your curiosity by revealing the enemy's weaknesses. Add +30% of total damage fighting Shadow-aligned creatures when Mighty.

Wormwood

Spoiler

Butterfly Friend - Butterflies will no longer fly away from you.
Sapling Crafting - Sacrifice health to craft Lunar Saplings.
Berry Bush Crafting - Sacrifice health to craft Berry Bushes.
Juicy Berry Bush Crafting - Sacrifice health to craft Juicy Berry Bushes.
Monkeytail Crafting - Sacrifice health to craft Monkeytails.
Lureplants Crafting - Sacrifice health to craft Lureplant.

Poor Sap - Learn to craft Ipecaca Syrup to induce pooping in other creatures.
Moon Shroom Cloud - Release sleep-inducing spores when eating a Moon Shroom.

Mushroom Mastery - Mushrooms planted in a Mushroom Planter grow a little faster.
Mushroom Mastery II - Mushrooms planted in a Mushroom Planter grow much faster.
Mushroom Multiplier - Mushrooms planted in a Mushroom Planter produce a higher yield.

Learn enough left-branch skills to unlock.
Lunar Guardian I - Seize foes and keep them rooted in place while wearing Brightshade Armor.
Lunar Guardian II - Summon vines to join the fray while attacking with Brightshade weapons.

Seed Sleuth - Learn to identify seeds that have just been planted, to determine what they will grow into.
Growth Spurt I - Reach full bloom a bit quicker.
Growth Spurt II - Reach full bloom much quicker.
Flower Power - Stay in full bloom longer.
Petal Production - Produce flower petals while in full bloom.
Shade Plant - Gain increased protection from overheating when in full bloom.

Farmhand I - Tend farm plants within a larger range while full bloom.
Farmhand II - Tend farm plants within an even larger range while full bloom.
Farmhand III - Tend farm plants within a vast range while full bloom.

Fly Trap - Fruit flies will be drawn to you instead of farm plants. The Lord of the Fruit Flies is more likely to appear.
Bee Kind - Killer bees won't leave their hives or attack unless provoked.

Learn enough right-branch skills to unlock.
Lunar Cultivator I - Tap into your lunar roots to transform Carrots into Carrats.
Lunar Cultivator II - Tap into your lunar roots to transform Lightbulbs into Bulbous Lightbugs.
Lunar Cultivator III - Tap into your lunar roots to transform Dragon Fruit into Saladmanders.

Edited by Parusoid
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 18

34 minutes ago, Creatorofswamps said:

Are you forgetting a very very early game set piece that was added into the game last year?

Setting Stage literally let’s you farm almost completely free high tier items.. and ONE of those items is a Miners Hat.

The entire game is either directly… or Indirectly becoming so much easier than its single player counter part.

I don’t like the new direction the Franchise has been headed in for quite some time now… but I’ve given up any hope whatsoever that they’ll add the Rogue-Lite Adventures Mode from Solo DS..

All I wanted was “Don’t Starve, but with Friends!”

DST… has become instead “Simplify the hell out of the franchise so it appeals to a broader audience of gamers.”

I personally don’t like it.. but complaining about adding darkness immunity to a very late-game boss locked glowing helmet is the least of my concerns..

Those free Miner hats from killing some easy to kill rose bush hounds though.. now that’s something to be slightly concerned about.

• Like 1
  • Potato Cup 3

4 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

I hope this makes people consider playing with normally unplayed characters to unlock their powers in other worlds, this goes mainly for Winona and Warly: if they get something cool maybe we'll see people actually play them for a while to use them later on in other worlds instead of being a pick and swap, and maybe they actually enjoy them. (Dont you dare use LongUpdate)

c_skip(200)     :wilsoalmostangelic:

• Thanks 1
  • Wavey 1

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Are you forgetting a very very early game set piece that was added into the game last year?

Setting Stage literally let’s you farm almost completely free high tier items.. and ONE of those items is a Miners Hat.

The entire game is either directly… or Indirectly becoming so much easier than its single player counter part.

I don’t like the new direction the Franchise has been headed in for quite some time now… but I’ve given up any hope whatsoever that they’ll add the Rogue-Lite Adventures Mode from Solo DS..

All I wanted was “Don’t Starve, but with Friends!”

DST… has become instead “Simplify the hell out of the franchise so it appeals to a broader audience of gamers.”

I personally don’t like it.. but complaining about adding darkness immunity to a very late-game boss locked glowing helmet is the least of my concerns..

Those free Miner hats from killing some easy to kill rose bush hounds though.. now that’s something to be slightly concerned about.

I've done the stage event several times now and haven't gotten the miner hat a single time, it's really not that big of a deal, especially considering 2 grass/2 twigs is all you need to get rid of darkness, not to mention if you just go into the caves you can get lanterns which make the dark even more irrelevant than it already is. 

Saying the game is overly simplified because there's like a 1/8 chance every 5+ days to get one miner hat is dumb.

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, ThymeSpirit said:

It's quite funny to see everyone complain about "Wilson's only unique thing taken away", when for years the consensus was "Wilson should be as plain and boring vanilla character as possible, don't give him anything special, he is special because he doesn't 

im willing to bet almost everyone upset that Wilson's rework got taken from him was/is Not of that opinion. no ones being hypocritical lol. there was also plenty of fans who were excited/looking forward to wilson getting to have something more.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

Here are all the perks' names and descriptions only

Woodie

Reveal hidden contents

Transformation Timer I - Were-forms last a little longer.
Transformation Timer II - Were-forms last a fair amount longer.
Transformation Timer III - Were-forms last much longer.

Curse Embracer - Learn 6 Curse skills to unlock. Suffer no health or sanity penalties for eating Kitschy Idols. Return to human form without having an empty stomach.

The Werebeaver I - Mine faster in your Werebeaver form.
The Werebeaver II - Chop faster in your Werebeaver form.
The Werebeaver III - Chop, mine and break hard materials in your Werebeaver form.
The Weremoose I - Your Weremoose form is more resistant to hitting obstacles and walks a little faster.
The Weremoose II - Gain slow health regeneration in your Weremoose form.
The Weremoose III - You can stop mid-charge in your Weremoose form.
The Weregoose I - Run faster in your Weregoose form.
The Weregoose II - Become completely waterproof in Weregoose form.
The Weregoose III - Occasionally dodge an incoming attack in Weregoose form.

Only one were-form can be fully mastered. Choose wisely.
Werebeaver Mastery - The Werebeaver learns to smack the ground with his tail, destroying everything around him.
Weremoose Mastery - The Weremoose learns to throw stronger punches and has a tougher hide.
Weregoose Mastery - The Weregoose learns to fly around to explore the world, but it's a little out of control.

Quick Picker I - Collect stuff a little faster.
Quick Picker II - Collect stuff a fair amount faster.
Quick Picker III - Collect stuff much faster.
Treeguard Feller I - Deal a fair amount more damage to Treeguards.
Treeguard Feller II - Deal much more damage to Treeguards.
Treeguard Feller III - Learn to craft the Treeguard Idol, an extremely burnable effigy.
Woodworker - Use Lucy to carve boards more efficiently.
Hat Carving - Use Lucy to carve a nice Hardwood Hat for protection.
Cane Carving - Use Lucy to carve a Wooden Walking Stick for easy mobility.

Learn 12 skills to unlock.
Shadow Wrangler - The Queen will reward your loyalty by calling off her shadow creatures. (But only when you're in a were-form.)
Lunar Renegade - The Cryptic Founder will reward your curiosity by blocking the moon's ability to trigger your curse.

Wolfgang

Reveal hidden contents

Chore Workout I - Chance to one-shot while working improved to 5%.
Chore Workout II - Chance to one-shot while working improved to 10%.
Chore Workout III - Chance to one-shot while working improved to 15%.
Dumbbell Developer - Learn to craft several new dumbbells.
Heavy Hitter I - Increase the damage of thrown dumbbells by 50%.
Heavy Hitter II - Increase the damage of thrown dumbbells by 100%.
Coach Wolfgang - Learn to craft a Coaching Whistle. While coaching, Normal Wolfgang will raise friends' sanity and boost followers' damage.
Leg Day - +10% speed boost when Normal.
Push the Limits I - Use the gym to push your Mighty Meter past its limit. Mighty Meter can go up to 110.
Push the Limits II - Use the gym to push your Mighty Meter past its limit. Mighty Meter can go up to 120.
Push the Limits III - Use the gym to push your Mighty Meter past its limit. Mighty Meter can go up to 130.
Push the Limits IV - Use the gym to push your Mighty Meter past its limit. Mighty Meter can go up to 140.
Push the Limits V - Use the gym to push your Mighty Meter past its limit. Mighty Meter can go up to 150.
Gym Mastery - Perfect your gym workout. Mini game will complete automatically.
Mighty Weapons I - Bring out the full strength of planar weapons. Add +5 Planar Damage to planar weapons when Mighty.
Mighty Weapons II - Bring out the full strength of planar weapons. Add +10 Planar Damage to planar weapons when Mighty.
Mighty Weapons III - Bring out the full strength of planar weapons. Add +15 Planar Damage to planar weapons when Mighty.
Mighty Weapons IV - Bring out the full strength of planar weapons. Add +20 Planar Damage to planar weapons when Mighty.
Mighty Weapons V - Bring out the full strength of planar weapons. Add +25 Planar Damage to planar weapons when Mighty.
Shadow Guard I - The Queen will reward your loyalty with devastating strength. Add +10% of total damage fighting Lunar-aligned creatures when Mighty.
Shadow Guard II - The Queen will reward your loyalty with devastating strength. Add +20% of total damage fighting Lunar-aligned creatures when Mighty.
Shadow Guard III - The Queen will reward your loyalty with devastating strength. Add +30% of total damage fighting Lunar-aligned creatures when Mighty.
Lunar Strategist I - The Cryptic Founder will reward your curiosity by revealing the enemy's weaknesses. Add +10% of total damage fighting Shadow-aligned creatures when Mighty.
Lunar Strategist II - The Cryptic Founder will reward your curiosity by revealing the enemy's weaknesses. Add +20% of total damage fighting Shadow-aligned creatures when Mighty.
Lunar Strategist III - The Cryptic Founder will reward your curiosity by revealing the enemy's weaknesses. Add +30% of total damage fighting Shadow-aligned creatures when Mighty.

Wormwood

Reveal hidden contents

Butterfly Friend - Butterflies will no longer fly away from you.
Sapling Crafting - Sacrifice health to craft Lunar Saplings.
Berry Bush Crafting - Sacrifice health to craft Berry Bushes.
Monkeytail Crafting - Sacrifice health to craft Monkeytails.
Poor Sap - Learn to craft Ipecaca Syrup to induce pooping in other creatures.
Moon Shroom Cloud - Release sleep-inducing spores when eating a Moon Shroom.
Mushroom Mastery - Mushrooms planted in a Mushroom Planter grow a little faster.
Mushroom Mastery II - Mushrooms planted in a Mushroom Planter grow much faster.
Mushroom Multiplier - Mushrooms planted in a Mushroom Planter produce a higher yield.
Learn enough left-branch skills to unlock.
Lunar Guardian I - Seize foes and keep them rooted in place while wearing Brightshade Armor.
Lunar Guardian II - Summon vines to join the fray while attacking with Brightshade weapons.
Seed Sleuth - Learn to identify seeds that have just been planted, to determine what they will grow into.
Growth Spurt I - Reach full bloom a bit quicker.
Growth Spurt II - Reach full bloom much quicker.
Flower Power - Stay in full bloom longer.
Petal Production - Produce flower petals while in full bloom.
Shade Plant - Gain increased protection from overheating when in full bloom.
Farmhand I - Tend farm plants within a larger range while full bloom.
Farmhand II - Tend farm plants within an even larger range while full bloom.
Farmhand III - Tend farm plants within a vast range while full bloom.
Fly Trap - Fruit flies will be drawn to you instead of farm plants. The Lord of the Fruit Flies is more likely to appear.
Bee Kind - Killer bees won't leave their hives or attack unless provoked.
Learn enough right-branch skills to unlock.
Lunar Cultivator I - Tap into your lunar roots to transform Carrots into Carrats.
Lunar Cultivator II - Tap into your lunar roots to transform Lightbulbs into Bulbous Lightbugs.
Lunar Cultivator III - Tap into your lunar roots to transform Dragon Fruit into Saladmanders.

thank you so much.

• Thanks 1