New Beta Update live - Skill Spotlight: Wormwood, Wolfgang, Woodie.

5 minutes ago, mkemal23 said:

Wilson is the only character that has a skill tree thats only focusing one item. Which is the torch tab. This means that if you don't use torches, the whole thing is completely useless. Whats even worse is even you fully unlock the torch tab your torches will still be weaker than a lantern.(no refueling)

save yourself the trouble of making lanterns and grinding lightbulbs for ever then.

• Shopcat 1

Main Menu Animation

Spoiler

dst_menu_meta2.thumb.gif.a92a2663a03d05ff70a3be729321f50c.gif

Brightshade Repair Kit

Spoiler

lunarplant_kit-idle.gif.10855975281cd46f5c31cecef46b6ed5.gif

Void Kit

Spoiler

voidcloth_kit-idle.gif.418427fc9788d99bad9a27426476320e.gif

Thermbell

Spoiler

dumbbell_heat-idle.gif.6dc415b53f2de7c1a43bf86fdf7866ea.gif dumbbell_heat-idle1.gif dumbbell_heat-idle2.gif.815bdbeba25c1e10a3733104fe344614.gif dumbbell_heat-idle3.gif.0d69ec258b1dbe06b1bb1352ed3f3727.gif dumbbell_heat-idle4.gif.da1ab5d7260906455983cfc6f5d6d3c4.gif dumbbell_heat-idle5.gif.3db53023fd6e3815655482ee8f66476d.gif

Icebell

Spoiler

dumbbell_bluegem-idle.gif.15c6059c05c0bc29a78d118011ba986f.gif

Firebell

Spoiler

dumbbell_redgem-idle.gif.82a07683220aab2784f533c0b26e6b43.gif

Coaching Whistle

Spoiler

wolfgang_whistle-idle.gif.412840935c5abab59bf311067b6e7628.gif

Treeguard Idol

Spoiler

leif_idol-idle.gif.e4bbaedade155711218b3033c0eabaca.gif

Hardwood Hat

Spoiler

hat_woodcarved-idle.gif.2505a9c570462f64a79f70765d96e647.gif

Wooden Walking Stick

Spoiler

walking_stick-idle.gif.4da0ba113e14350ad2a0ed5a789ae9ca.gif

Syrup of Ipecaca

Spoiler

ipecacsyrup-idle.gif.8719a49c22c35835d449559d6fd5c516.gif

Binding Roots

Spoiler

weed_ivy_lunar-spike.gif.e47ac080439c5265fe3785d2006952b1.gif

Reinforced Support Pillar / Support Pillar / Pillar Scaffold / Support Pillar Wreckage

Spoiler

support_pillar-idle.thumb.gif.a89a8b17f2635f58076f594aee550ef0.gif support_pillar-idlequake.thumb.gif.c340c2533c6fd57b2149d4197cc61f0f.gif  support_pillar-break1.thumb.gif.1f5c73c9b4e0c45ab280cebbb18b125e.gif support_pillar-break2.thumb.gif.4ce66d6e6fbbf54c7f99f19da2bc5463.gif support_pillar-break3.thumb.gif.73c80667841445ed3d7b0f974e883f95.gif support_pillar-scaffold.thumb.gif.6e3d60568326b7c642bdce186e8a0047.gif support_pillar-broken.gif.beca380d44fffd13f4d0280b3b475c72.gif

Edited by Instant-Noodles
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 8
  • Big Ups 1

The new content is really cool. Now I believe Wilson should receive a bit more love. All the characters gained unique abilities tailored to their personality/skills (that was the focus of the rework). With this update, it solidifies that Wilson is still the same generic character without any unique traits.

• Like 11
  • Health 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

7 minutes ago, Well-met said:

save yourself the trouble of making lanterns and grinding lightbulbs for ever then.

"Oh, let me collect 2 grass and 2 twigs and waste an entire 7 skill points instead of collecting 1 light bulb for my lantern." 

Edited by mkemal23
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

Just now, zVince said:

it solidifies that Wilson is still the same generic character without any unique traits.

Wilson IS the default character of this game. be saying that, he's skills would remain unique in this game, as things can only be done by wilson. i think thats the whole point isnt it?

• Like 5

I'm a bit conflicted about skill trees. I generally don't like them in any game because, on a game design perspective, how good you can be depends on how much time you spent on the game, not on your actual skill. Although... the perks you can unlock don't seem groundbreaking so far and you still can only choose them at the start or by changing character. Overall, they seem more of a personalization than an upgrade (most of them), which is similar to how you choose a character depending on your playstyle. You could have a warrior Wormwood or a lunatic Wormwood!

We will probably get used to it and then realize it wasn't a bad change. 

Poor Wilson has been surpassed in his own field! I still think his new perks are really menial, maybe there's hope of getting something more useful as the picture widens.

Edited by Garett Skott
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, mkemal23 said:

"Oh, let me collect 2 grass and 2 twigs and waste an entire 7 skill points instead of collecting 1 light bulb for my lantern." 

pretty handy to avoid travelling through shards constantly yeah. 

• Like 5
  • Sanity 1

I'm on the fence about this. I think the perks are well-chosen for Wormwood, Woodie, and for the most part Wolfgang (not sure what the point of the gym minigame is if there's a level 1 perk to remove the mechanics, but the other stuff is pretty good), and while I'm uncertain that this was a good place for lore to have an effect on gameplay, I do think it's cool and interesting for a few characters to have no choice but to take one side, as with Wormwood getting two lunar options instead of a shadow option.

I'm not a huge fan of what was previously a very fitting mechanic for Wilson's character rework - exploring the world over time and putting your experience into customised, optional upgrades - becoming something that every character has, but while it's kind of disappointing to go "Wilson has his own special mechanic now! Wait, no he doesn't, back to being the generic character with fewer strengths than almost everyone else but no weaknesses", future players probably won't notice.

What I really don't like is that now that we have three others to compare against and presumably more in the pipeline, it's glaringly obvious that Wilson's skill tree is less coherently themed than everyone else's. If Willow's going to get a skill tree, why did Wilson get a bunch of torch perks? He has more perks related to torches than Wormwood has perks for blooming, and his only connection to torches is that he frequently holds one in promo art. It barely made sense to begin with and now it's baffling that he has that instead of something more science-related or even something else pertaining to basic survival that doesn't overlap with another character's specialty if Alchemy is meant to be the science thing (for that matter, some of the inclusions in the alchemy tree, in addition to being dubiously useful mechanically, don't seem in line with Wilson's in-universe priorities).

• Like 19

5 minutes ago, mkemal23 said:

do u realise how cheap it is just throw couples of torch comparing to cast 3-5 time starcaller for fighting werepig in cave?

• Like 3

I honestly really like the skill tree direction. It rewards you for playing that character. My only complaint is you can easily cheese the skill trees by just fast forwarding time and unlocking everything that way, but eh, content is content

Edited by Dr. Safety
  • Like 8

The work done is interesting, the goal - to give the player a choice between the parties - is quite good, but, nevertheless, one can understand the indignation of people. These kinds of updates simplify the game quite a lot, which is not very popular with hardcore players. Perhaps newbies will be delighted, but it's worth thinking about the main audience and trying to somehow make the skills more balanced, because now it's just a good, and sometimes (Wolfgang with planar damage) even an unbalanced buff.

• Big Ups 1

Hello

While I do think that giving skill trees to every character in the game is not the best idea, I am glad to see that skills for wormwood and woodie are much more impactful than skills for Wolfgang. I do hope that dev team will keep in mind which characters are considered stronger by the community, and therefore we won't be getting any gamebreaking skills for Maxwell, Wanda and WX, since they don't really need any improvements (neither did Wolfgang but I guess we are doing that).I am looking forward to Willow skill tree and I'm really happy with what Woodie and Wormwood got in the skill departament. I also hope that Woodie has to choose between wooden helmet and walking cane, since getting a better armor option as well as speed boost seems kinda broken.

I really hoped that we would get better healing skill tree for Wormwood, I always thought that there should be more actually viable healing options for wormwood.

• Like 4
  • Shopcat 1

I have a biggest question now here: what's the point of all these skillpoints if you can't have them all at the same time? To consider this that being rewarded for playing the game and you needing to customize skills everytime you'd want something different for each character despite majority of skills being rather mundane there's all that effort and little point to it all.

I love the skills and perks you can get and select, but if Celestial Portal is an early unlockable in the game then why put us there again if we want just one perk to be a little different for specific thing like resourcefulness or something.

Also Fire Bell is as terrifying of an idea as adding the destructive Woodie stomp xdd one is harder to obtain I guess while kinda little purpose?

3 minutes ago, Whyro said:

I'm gonna be entirely honest. This update doesn't feel like Don't Starve we all know and love...

Just ignore the scary RPG lingo such as "skill tree" and we'll do fine.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HowlVoid said:

ДАСССС ДАСССССС

БЕГИТЕ СЕЛЬСКОЕ ХОЗЯЙСТВО

УШЕЛ

ИЗ ЗЕМЛИ ВЫ ПРИШЛИ И В ЗЕМЛЮ ВЕРНЕТЕСЬ

Я ВОЗЬМУ СВОИ ФУНТЫ ПЛОТИ И СОЖЖУ ЗЕМЛЮ ВСЕ, ЧТО ОСТАЛОСЬ

ХАХАХАХАХАХАХА

Итак, кхм, какие навыки получает Полынь?

Dude, it's just ******* cool) As a person who loves Wormwood, I am satisfied))) 

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 1

1 hour ago, Jason said:

The next DST beta test update is live now. The main feature of this update is adding skill trees to three more of the Survivors: Wolfgang, Wormwood and Woodie. 

Go here to see how to enter the beta branch on steam if you have not done that before.

Changes:

• Wolfgang Skill Tree added
  • Wormwood Skill Tree added
  • Woodie Skill Tree added
  • Survivors can now craft large Support Pillars to create areas safe from quake debris.
  • Equipment forged from the Brightsmithy and Shadowcraft Plinth can now be repaired using specific repair kits.  When they reach a fully broken state, they can no longer be equipped until repaired.
  • Equipment changes:
    • Umbralla can now be activated on the ground to generate an area of effect rain barrier.  Please note that acid rain does not heal the Umbralla while it is activated like this.
    • Void Cowl and Void Robe no longer provide acid rain immunity.
    • Void Cowl and Void Robe no longer drain sanity when equipped.
    • Ramping shadow planar damage buff now only requires equipping Void Cowl instead of the full set.
    • Void Robe now blocks negative sanity auras (e.g. from monsters or other scary objects).
    • Brightshade weapon buffs now only require equipping Brightshade Helm instead of the full set.
    • Brightshade Helm now prevents Charlie attacks when standing in darkness.
    • Brightshade Armor now has minor damage reflection.
    • Dreadstone Armor and Dreadstone Helm no longer drain sanity when not self-repairing.

View full update

Hi, if wilson's rework is the talent tree, and now everyone will have a talent tree... Does that mean that wilson didn't have a rework? :wilson_cry:

• Like 6
  • Sanity 1
  • Sad Dupe 3

Can we get the Scrapbook in the Compendium? The prepared food registry and the plant registry are both there, and the scrapbook seems very much like it’s along the same vein.

More controversial opinion: So skill trees are how characters pick their allegiances? It seems like the mechanic in general is inherently neutral, but adjusting the skill tree requires a definitively moony process. I don’t suppose you have any plans to tweak the flavour of this? (Or, from a more mechanical point of view, allowing skill tree changes underground?)

• Like 6