New Beta Update live - Skill Spotlight: Wormwood, Wolfgang, Woodie.

A revisit to the roster is not what I expected but it is necessary specially for characters that were reworked years ago.

It may be too much to expect but I hope one of Willow skills is for BERNIE! to be neutral against shadow creatures when Willow's wearing the skull helm.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Slamicat said:

im willing to bet almost everyone upset that Wilson's rework got taken from him was/is Not of that opinion. no ones being hypocritical lol. there was also plenty of fans who were excited/looking forward to wilson getting to have something more.

You're right of course, although I'm pretty sure there were also people happy that "he's both basic and unique". Now he's not unique at all, and in retrospect he technically didn't even get a rework, only a "skill tree addition" that everyone is getting now. I wonder if his role as resource coverter is also going to be given to other characters.

Fantastic update! An introduction of more skill trees is great, especially for these characters, and I really like the equipment changes as well. Being able to have more options with the new tier of gear rather than being locked into one particular loadout is great, as is giving the umbralla a use beyond "you have to upgrade your umbrella now that you're lategame". Thanks for the dreadstone love, too! I'm actually going to use it now, and it has its own pros and cons- on characters other than Maxwell, at least; it doesn't buff his minions like most shadow-aligned gear does.

So, after playing a little bit with Wormwood on this beta, my thoughts are:

- The skill tree concept is very cool! It adds depths to the playstyle, but not too much, which is kinda nice.

- There are two perks that doen's have a discription on wormwood skill tree (from the butterfly friend section, the two on the top right). I think it has something with lureplants/berry crafting:

image.png.d11dd6e595cb3809ab97e5bcfbde4be3.png

- Moon Shroom Cloud could be very useful and interesting, however, eating moonshrooms still make wormwood sleep. I think the synergy is you could farm lots of shrooms to make shroom cakes. Another talent that allows wormwood to farm moonshrooms would be very cool and also fits his theme! 

-Farmhands to me is kinda very uninteresting since tending the farms is very easy even without this update.

- The Lunar Cultivator is actually the lunar experiment from Hallowed Nights and there is no point on making Carrats/Saladmanders, unless they add some unseen features later on. I think what could be done is make Wormwood to farm lunar veggies like moonshrooms.

-Petal Production to me is a very very bad perk and uninteresting  unless they make some new items that require petals that are actually good. Maybe Wormwood could plant the flowers on the ground? I don't know.

Overall, I am very excited for these new features! They definitely need somes tuning (and also Wilson deserves some love <3). Thank you Klei!

• Big Ups 2

Skill trees for everyone is cool but kind of ruins the point of Wilson, honestly since they're adding more skill trees for other characters, they should update Wilson's to not have a torch tab and to have something replace it such as a medical tab, because Wilson was a doctor (I think, I could be wrong), so he isn't as basic, while also probably giving him something else so his rework literally wasn't just an introduction for a mechanic for everyone

• Like 5

20230707065328_1.thumb.jpg.6e58d53ed6155016a407733cb58aed98.jpg20230707065405_1.thumb.jpg.b4ffd8b8be378e916493892d5c4b2717.jpg20230707065342_1.thumb.jpg.5160b0443e536f626c27f69a12f2599c.jpg

这个时间我还是刚刚睡醒,看到要加入支柱来保护洞穴形成一块安全无落石的区域,对此我非常感兴趣,给你们看一下我最近生活在地下形成的落石群。

At this moment, I just woke up and saw the need to add pillars to protect the cave and form a safe area without falling rocks. I am very interested in this and would like to show you a group of falling rocks that I have recently lived underground.

Of course, I'll also show you my base by the way

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, . . . said:

Every update Don't Starve Together strays further from being an uncompromising survival game... every character will have a skill-tree? Lol...

Give actual critiques instead of vague statements that don’t make sense

• Like 13
  • Big Ups 1

Just now, Dextops said:

Give actual critiques instead of vague statements that don’t make sense

The game's catering too hard to becoming easy and casul. Skill trees for every character is literally just free powerful perks there is no balance anymore for Wilson it was okay cause he has no abilities, but having extra abilities for characters that already very strong like wolfgang or wanda in the future... and with klei neutering every update that adds actual difficult things into the game its lame.

at this rate mod characters will be more balanced than the vanilla cast lol

• Like 11

Just now, . . . said:

The game's catering too hard to becoming easy and casul. Skill trees for every character is literally just free powerful perk

It’s quite clear you’ve only looked through the lens of console commands. You need to survive around 100 days to get the max amount of insight points and then kill afw and/or cc to get the actually game changing perks which makes sense. Other than that perks are pretty tame. These changes are rounding out characters and adding more depth. This entire update is anything but catering towards casuals by adding more complex character choice and requiring to kill later game bosses.

2 minutes ago, . . . said:

very strong like wolfgang

Wolfgang’s changes were mild at best or were desperately needed. Also Wolfgang isn’t broken op as people say and even after these changes isn’t broken op he’s a less boring and more rounded out character while now actually being playable with the new planar damage changes 

I think you need to stop being so abrasive to changes, and test this content more thoroughly 

• Like 7
  • Sanity 1

As nice as the skill trees are, it not only defeats the purpose of Wilson's "Rework", but it will in time completely nullify every Other rework based on what perks every character's skill trees will include. Any balance that was made though out the year's character reworks, Gone. And likewise what was supposed to be the final update (Supposedly) for this arc, now having what is either just these 3 skill tree additions, or assumingly All skill tree additions With the final additions, wipes out what anticipation was made, or at the least, cut down extremely, for what will be fresh forms of meta in terms of play of the overall game; cutting the difficulty further than it already has, ultimately killing the gritty survival charm the game originally had. Once again, the concepts of the skill trees and their benefits Are nice, but unnecessary to the overall game. Just having a tab to let you decide your side late in or whenever is more acceptable than all this. 

• Like 1
  • Shopcat 1

16 минут назад... вышеупомянутый:

Игра слишком сложна, чтобы стать легкой и непринужденной. Деревья навыков для каждого персонажа - это буквально просто бесплатные мощные перки, для Уилсона больше нет баланса, это было нормально, потому что у него нет способностей, но наличие дополнительных способностей для персонажей, которые уже очень сильны, таких как Вольфганг или Ванда в будущем... И с учетом того, что Клей кастрирует каждое обновление, которое добавляет в игру реальные сложные вещи, это хромает.

При таком темпе персонажи мода будут более сбалансированными, чем ванильный актерский состав LOL

Если дерево способностей выглядит слишком неуравновешенным, его можно просто не раскачивать. А персонажи останутся такими же, как и раньше.

Good grief this is a mess of complaints, i can see where they're coming from but..
Personally i love this update, while sure a lot will complain that it "Takes away what makes Wilson special" but lets remind ourselves that Wilson was never actually intended to be special, he worked as a doorway to a new mechanic of the game and it should've been expected.

Frankly i love this just because it fleshes out the characters further more and i feel like it could really fix some of the issue the characters have without making them outright broken, hell a lot of them don't even seem to come into play until very late game, or worst(?) case scenario, someone that is speedrunning every boss.

I don't see this as something negative for new players either, if anything it'll insentivize players to try out different characters more to mix match their role, instead of always sticking with X character, maybe Y character could have a interesting skill that could make it so its more fun for someone to start trying a different character out.

I feel like a lot of the concern about this whole update is just because of how new it is, it's something we haven't really experienced yet and frankly i just find that exciting, plus its not like you're being forced to take the skills, you can still play default wolfgang, wormwood, woodie, and hell, even wilson by just ignoring the point system

tl;dr new update scary cause new stuff

• Like 7
  • Sanity 1
  • Shopcat 1

21 minutes ago, Dextops said:

I think you need to stop being so abrasive to changes, and test this content more thoroughly 

No, I don't need to waste my time to know that strong characters getting free perks is unbalanced. Not that Klei seems to care for game balance anymore other than making the game easier.

Also, I hate these updates because I was sick of the character refreshes and now this is character refresh v2... the game needs actual content updates not revolved around the characters... if they like characters so much they can add new DLC ones 

Edited by . . .
  • Like 3
  • Spool 1
  • Shopcat 2
  • Big Ups 1

After a few testing I am convinced this is the best update ever in recent period, every bit of the changes are fantastic and I very much like the direction of future updates. Both of the character changes and post endgame gears buff are just perfect! Another hundreds of playtime guarenteed for me, thank you for such amazing update!!!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, . . . said:

No, I don't need to waste my time to know that strong characters getting free perks is unbalanced. Not that Klei seems to care for game balance anymore other than making the game easier.

Thanks for ignoring everything I said and continuing to go off ranting on things I’ve already argued on why they aren’t true which you haven’t tried to counter argue at all.

5 minutes ago, . . . said:

Also, I hate these updates because I was sick of the character refreshes and now this is character refresh v2... the game needs actual content updates not revolved around the characters... if they like characters so much they can add new DLC ones 

These character updates are getting released much quicker than reworks as you can tell. I’m sure it won’t be long until they’re finished and they were released alongside a bunch of other changes 

Edited by Dextops
  • Like 2