New Beta Update live - Skill Spotlight: Wormwood, Wolfgang, Woodie.

1 hour ago, Dextops said:

You can also turn off hunger and health and so so much more in world settings. Rifts are the least of anyone’s concerns 

I agree with creatorofswamps there's a difference between starting in new gameplus and playing in god mode.

Edit: that being said idk if it's the best solution considering it would technically lock less skilled players out of content.

Edited by Mysterious box
  • Big Ups 1

On 7/6/2023 at 3:52 PM, PetulantPansy said:

Probably every character. This is most likely the way to choose between the lunar/shadow factions. We pretty much already know for a fact that every survivor will be making that choice at some point. 

IMO, it would have been better if we could talk to a Pearl-like NPC in-game....charlie, wagstaff, the ancients...or simply equip the appropriate endgame armor and bam. 

Edited by Phizzle

Why not add the ability to wormwood in the skill with bees to eat honey from the hive without attracting the attention of killer bees? 

If Leaving the absolutely useless skill with petals in bloom, why not add here the ability to plant flowers from the petals as seeds? 

I think that the whole branch where there is an increase in the flowering radius is absolutely useless (except for bees, and then only when you have a huge biome of wild bees in the world), these radii make no sense because no one plants plantations on the floor of the map, and for a 3x3 garden with which you can stock up food for the whole team, spending as many as 3 points is completely pointless, like that skill with butterflies, I think this should be the default! Since it doesn't make any sense at all! 

I think it would be logical to add the ability to plant moon mushrooms, although this is not very necessary, but for Wormwood, the skill 

Edited by Arkon 007
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not sure where else to put this, but in my playtime I realized a pretty neat thing about Wolfgang getting 10% movement speed in normal form. He will now only suffer the speed penalty of a piggyback when in wimpy form, since the 10%s cancel each other out in normal and he's immune to movement penalties in mighty form.

Every time something cool comes out for Wolfgang, I play him and have so much fun but then I forget about him. I need to play him more 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dr. Safety said:

Every time something cool comes out for Wolfgang, I play him and have so much fun but then I forget about him. I need to play him more 

This is probably one of Klei's unspoken intentions with skill trees. I've never really played Wolfgang or Woodie, but the new powers and renewed discussions about them has me considering it. Players revisiting characters generates more long form playtime as players learn how to use them and work to unlock all the insight points.

(This is also likely why the insight points are shared across a user's profile like unlockables instead of being reset per world like leveling up in an RPG: long form level progression encourages long form play.)

On 7/9/2023 at 11:17 PM, Ridepod said:

I still can't get over how this is such a huge middle finger to the Wilson rework and anyone who cares about him - his rework/refresh was him getting a unique skill tree, hence Wilson with 'sprinkles' or however he was described at some point. But now everyone gets skill trees. So was the real Wilson rework somehow just Werepig getting added? Had to do a whole update for Wilson's rather meager skills (in comparison to some of them in the current beta imo), but now they're doing entire skill updates in trios.

In retrospect, his rework comes off as being more focused on setting the foundation with these pseudo-reworks rather than improving Wilson.

This is a really divisive update coming off the back of some of the biggest nothingburger drama I've seen (cough cough it was just a helmet skin cough) after 2 updates that weren't anything super impressive and as they admitted rather incomplete as they set the stage. I really hope future updates deliver and impress

I dont understand why ppl are upset about Wilson. He's always been a default character with no skills or downsides. Now he has no core perks just like before but can now learn skills as he survive's the constant. It makes perfect sense to me and he's in much better place than he used to be.

As far as the rift updates not only does it take time to do these updates but they are giving us a chance to experience each wave at a time and provide feedback on it. If they released it all at once not only would we miss out on updates but it'd be chaos. Take much more time in beta and smaller issues might get overlooked. These updates are a practice in patience and trust and I'm not seeing much of that in these forums lately. Maybe just have some fun with these updates and when it's finished I'm sure they will consider our feedback once we have all the info. Right now it's just complaining about stuff we don't understand. 

I think we are getting these skill trees now to help with whatever is going to spill from these rifts down the road. If ppl don't like them, don't you have the ability to not spend the skill points??? Again I just don't understand the problem.

On 7/10/2023 at 10:06 PM, GelatinousCube said:

Thanks for the clarification and yeah that isn't as strong but I still hate this change and think it's extremely unnecessary. Light is what protects from Charlie, I'd almost rather it did give off a little light even though that's even more overpowered and stupid because at least it would make more sense. I just don't get it and hope it's removed. 

She can also hit more than once so it's not a save all, especially if its a long night. It makes sense that the new (moon side) armor may have some defense against the shadow queen imo.

Edited by LitulLola
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, LitulLola said:

I dont understand why ppl are upset about Wilson. He's always been a default character with no skills or downsides. Now he has no core perks just like before but can now learn skills as he survive's the constant. It makes perfect sense to me and he's in much better place than he used to be.

:wilsondisapproving:

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, LitulLola said:

I dont understand why ppl are upset about Wilson. He's always been a default character with no skills or downsides. Now he has no core perks just like before but can now learn skills as he survive's the constant.

I have been playing Wilson for a long time now. And I never supported the "Wilson should stay as default character" idea. But I do understand why Klei went with that direction. However, Him being a default character doesn't justify his bad skill tree.

52 minutes ago, LitulLola said:

It makes perfect sense to me 

Yes, I agree.

53 minutes ago, LitulLola said:

he's in much better place than he used to be.

Of course he is lol. But thats not because he got a good skilltree. It's because he literally had no perks before. the sad part is, He could have been much more. klei could have done much better skill tree if they focused on his transmutation skills.

• Like 2
  • Health 1

Bug: When reconnecting all of the plant summons are un-teatheathered to wormwood also you cant hit them to de-summon them. Also the saladmanders are really weird about aggroing to things you attack and that hit you. (sometimes they react and sometimes they don't. sometimes one sometimes all)

I like the idea of having another character with battle summons and that they come in doing their most damage at 50 instead of 30, but lighting everything on fire isn't so great, but the fire damage is actually kinda nice, though I wouldn't mind having the option to summon ripe and unripe so if I wanted to start a fight in a pinch I could choose to be safer about my summons.

Edited by Soul7k

22 hours ago, LitulLola said:

I think we are getting these skill trees now to help with whatever is going to spill from these rifts down the road. If ppl don't like them, don't you have the ability to not spend the skill points??? Again I just don't understand the problem.

I dislike these skill trees because they are a waste of development time and invalidate a previous character rework, in my opinion. The perks themselves are cool, but should be baked into the characters themselves, and should come out alongside the content-focused updates instead, not in the form of individual character skill tree updates. I don't want more character reworks, in the sense of singular updates focused on refreshing characters, either. Which this current beta is, because the Wilson rework proved that the addition of a skill tree to a character is a character rework.

11 minutes ago, Ridepod said:

dislike these skill trees because they are a waste of development time and invalidate a previous character rework, in my opinion

How exactly are they invalidating a characters rework? Unless you’re referring to Wilson which I can get.

11 minutes ago, Ridepod said:

The perks themselves are cool, but should be baked into the characters themselves,

This would remove any choice and character customization that comes with skill trees

Edited by Dextops
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Dextops said:

How exactly are they invalidating a characters rework? Unless you’re referring to Wilson which I can get.

This would remove any choice and character customization that comes with skill trees

I agree with both of these points. Some people need to realize that the world does not revolve around them…

I wish also wormwood skill could "revive" mandrakes, what i mean? Whenever we spawn first time in world we always see mandrake forest but when someone on accident pick up one mandrake it *dies* and we are no longer have chance to make cool decoration with those. So my point is wormwood beeing true creature from moon that can bring life back to plants.Even if could be a cost of some living logs that could be fine, 1 mandrage or ven 2 (becouse klaus is one of best way to farm mandrakes).

If this come live in update you could imagine planted mandrake as very cute decoration in base/farms or any of one!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dextops said:

I am referring to Wilson

7 hours ago, Dextops said:

A small price to pay for not dealing with another ~4-5 updates of character reworks. I just want to air my grievances with this update and the return to character reworks. I don't have a perfect solution for appeasing as many people with this update, but I hope Klei comes up with the best they've got. The first page of this post has such a lukewarm community response.

5 hours ago, AleksyPL said:

I wish also wormwood skill could "revive" mandrakes, what i mean? Whenever we spawn first time in world we always see mandrake forest but when someone on accident pick up one mandrake it *dies* and we are no longer have chance to make cool decoration with those. So my point is wormwood beeing true creature from moon that can bring life back to plants.Even if could be a cost of some living logs that could be fine, 1 mandrage or ven 2 (becouse klaus is one of best way to farm mandrakes).

If this come live in update you could imagine planted mandrake as very cute decoration in base/farms or any of one!

Mandrake.gif

• Like 1
  • GL Happy 1

I was watching Maxwell's rework animation and this frame got me thinking of a theory if this is hinting their skill tree's alignment. Maxwell is the only one in black so his skill tree could be entirely shadow aligned, while the others, could be either moon or shadow aligned depending on the player's choice. And maybe the others like Wilson, Wortox, Wanda, Wurt and Wormwood are out of the board because Charlie already knows they'll be moon aligned, so she wouldn't bother trying to convert them. I know this is a wild shot but it was fun theorizing :D
image.thumb.png.7cf66869b3d16332d9b8e248e10efc20.png

• Health 1