New Beta Update live - Skill Spotlight: Wormwood, Wolfgang, Woodie.

This is certainly going to be a controversial update for sure, especially with how many replies are in the thread already...

I already kinda expected every character to get a rework based on the examine character remake. It would have been very odd to rework the entire thing just to see Wilson's skillset, and it would have made way more sense if every character was going to get one, which seems to be the case here.

Honestly? I'm interested to see where it goes. I like the idea of being able to spec into a niche and making choices (EX: Woodie can get "empowered" wereforms, but only one of those 3 wereforms can be empowered at a time unless you respec). I do feel it can lead to a lot of neat things if they plan it correctly.

Overall, I'm interested to see what happens. I do expect quite a ripple effect for quite a few days to come, though.

• Like 8
  • GL Happy 1

2 minutes ago, Well-met said:

the point is he still got those new abilities that aren't available to anyone else.

cool, wilson can turn meat into morsels, what did the strongman get? oh yeah an unlockeable 10% speed boost
so balanced

• Like 3
  • Sanity 3
  • Shopcat 1

4 minutes ago, Krewnathan said:

cool, wilson can turn meat into morsels, what did the strongman get? oh yeah an unlockeable 10% speed boost
so balanced

if you're going to ignore everything else then yeah I guess it sounds weak.

• Like 7

On 6/8/2023 at 12:45 PM, BezKa said:

and let me just tell you if Klei gives up on any creativity and just smacks a skill tree on every character I will literally cry.

I did :)

I don't know how much copium I'm gonna need for this one. There's no point in me blabbering about how bad this is and how much I hate it because there's no way Klei will reconsider this choice with how many people like it for some unholy reason, but Klei prides themselves with reading every bit of feedback so. I don't like it. I don't understand why these skills cannot be just obtained in-game, instead of an ugly annoying skill tree. There was space for doing something creative and interesting here, but instead it's just skill trees. I hope devs are given necessary time and resources to come up with something better for future content.

• Like 8
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1
  • Health 1

first of all, very excited for skill trees. 

second, Woodie. I am thinking very hard of the words to express my excitement to the full extent right now, but I can't think of any, because Woodie. 

• Like 4
  • Big Ups 2

38 minutes ago, RotTown said:

Does this not defeat the whole point of Wilson’s rework..?  If more characters are getting a skilltree his rework now seems like he just got some new idles and clothes

not necesarily, the perks on wilson are still his, he is the base character and he has a very basic skilltree, other characters dont have the transmutes.

• Like 5
  • Shopcat 1

I'm very happy with this Don't Starve Together update! Woodie is definitely one of my favorite survivors, I can't wait to explore his new skill tree. While I'm not that big of a fan of Wolfgang, I'm willing to give him a try and see what the update brings him too! :wilson_goodjob:

Drawing.sketchpad.png

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Malfario said:

not necesarily, the perks on wilson are still his, he is the base character and he has a very basic skilltree, other characters dont have the transmutes.

ok but everyone else gets their own special niche rework(ie: wxs circuits/wickers books/maxwells shadow stuff) AND a skilltree unique to them. that doesn't seem fair. wilsons rework now wasn't as much of a rework as it was literally a test for what everyone else gets to have now too. :/

• Like 5
  • Big Ups 1

In regards of all this Wilson ended up with more of a resourceful-ish skilltree that does best at only gem crafting it seems. I do feel like extra damage he gets for fighting shadow or lunar aligned creatures should have bonus effects or something. Or just boost the numbers some more.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Well-met said:

sorry, youre right, wilson can indeed throw torches
oh and store a whole 2 things on his beard, what did woodie get? ohhh yeah he can carve a walking cane, yeah thats balanced

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad Dupe 1

Just now, Paxtonnnn said:

I love how constructive the forums are ❤️

The hypothetical of this exact thing happening has already been thoroughly discussed during the Wilson rework. To say anything would just be reiterating. The constructive criticism has already happened, and they ignored it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Big Ups 2
  • Sad Dupe 1
  • Potato Cup 1

7 minutes ago, Well-met said:

Wilson is the only character that has a skill tree thats only focusing one item. Which is the torch tab. This means that if you don't use torches, the whole thing is completely useless. Whats even worse is even you fully unlock the torch tab your torches will still be weaker than a lantern.(no refueling)

• Like 9

As a Wendy Main.. I want someone to tell me what the difference between a “Skill Tree” and Ectoherbology potions are, because to be brutally honest about it-

It seems like instead of adding new craftable items or potions to the game that require me to actually leave the comfort of my base and go collect things to make a new potion- Klei has instead opt’d to take the lazy route 

So then what was the point of adding Pipspook, Mourning Glories, And craftable potions??

I can use Woodie and Wormwoods new skill trees as Excellent examples- Why the hell wasn’t Woodie able to craft a new medallion or transformation blocking hat, rather then these in my opinion lame, Skill perks?

Why does Wormwood get new Skill tree perks rather than having a unique craftable weapon or armor?

This feels so very “Un-Don’t Starve” But that’s just my first impressions, Time can only tell if it ends up being a good direction for the game or not.

Speaking of “time” are they going to give the already busted Wanda some new skill trees that slow down her aging speed or speed up her clock cooldowns?

it all just feels like extra fluff for a game that should’ve focused on more stuff.

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Like 6
  • Wavey 2
  • Big Ups 1

Sadly Wilson is going to be forgotten again soon. He needs a real update where he can do something special without his skill tree. He is working with Wagstaff now so he can probably get some of Wagstaff's solo game perks. Or maybe giving him more efficient crafting with structures or something. At least with healing and revival items since he did make the meat effigy. That also goes good with his doctor victorian skin and forge game play.

• Like 9
  • Big Ups 1