New Beta Update live - Skill Spotlight: Wormwood, Wolfgang, Woodie.

39 minutes ago, . . . said:

Every update Don't Starve Together strays further from being an uncompromising survival game... every character will have a skill-tree? Lol...

Just don't play with it that simple, or force others not to play with it, it's so simple so easy c'mon.

• Shopcat 1

29 minutes ago, Dextops said:

I think you need to stop being so abrasive to changes, and test this content more thoroughly 

I think some time ago there was a crowd who would have heavily opposed this update. A crowd that would have passionately and thoroughly argued against it and made some solid points. I don't think that crowd cares anymore. I think they gave up. They're silent or just gone mostly. The few stragglers that remain and say anything just say "garbage update". Why make points? Why elaborate? Why care? They've tried, they've gone on long tirades arguing with the people who like the updates and even more against the crowd that sucks up to klei no matter what and fights any and all criticism levied against them. 

I don't think you'll get those heated and passionate debates from people that love this game anymore. That part of the community is gone. All you'll see for opposition is a cynical and tired "garbage update". 

That doesn't make those comments any better, but I think they are the way they are for a reason. I don't think these people are wrong for not feeling compelled to go through the effort of elaborating. 

Also make the bone helm deconstruct into fossil fragments. Seriously, it's so incredibly dumb that it doesn't I cannot comprehend it.

Edited by Jestymun
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6
  • Health 1
  • Shopcat 1
  • Big Ups 2

Just now, . . . said:

No, I don't need to waste my time to know that strong characters getting free perks is unbalanced. Not that Klei seems to care for game balance anymore other than making the game easier.

No, don't worry they aren't getting much
Klei said that they would be buffing wolfgang's planar damage
Now look at his perk tree, 5 of his 25 perks are planar dmg, they are just divided into tiers. Same goes for the extra mightiness from the gym (which is straight up trolling when you get a 10% speedboost while in NORMAL form), and the lunar / shadow aligntment perks (3 each).
15% extra chance of one shoting things, a boost of sanity for friends and dmg for followers... why?
An automated gym minigame...
Extra dmg when throwing dumbells, which you almost never do.

Now, im not complaining that he should get better perks, not at all, he just needed a bit of planar dmg, which he got, but  it seems to me that the skill trees are just a way to rebalance characters a bit without calling it reworks 2.0. Which is a shame, because
1)  I'm sure no one would say that woodie would be OP if he could have all or most of the perks introduced in this update.
2) Wilson lost his unique way of teaching new players

I'm kind of dissapointed to be honest. I like the changes introduced, don't get me wrong. I just don't like the way in which they are introduced, because they, to me, give the "feeling" of choice, when in reality, some perks are not even worth considering (like extra mightiness from gym, or a wooden hat, or a random goose TP). These could have been character tweaks, just as Wortox got his TP, and Wurt her adjustments.

• Like 4

Just now, Dextops said:

These character updates are getting released much quicker than reworks as you can tell. I’m sure it won’t be long until they’re finished and they were released alongside a bunch of other changes 

Ya, maybe in a year there will finally be a new biome added or something that actually adds more exploration to the game making it feel more like a survival game instead of Klei playing around with their little cast of characters trying to make DST into a RPG but without all the fun parts of an RPG :wilson_ill:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Shopcat 1

7 minutes ago, . . . said:

Ya, maybe in a year there will finally be a new biome added or something that actually adds more exploration to the game making it feel more like a survival game instead of Klei playing around with their little cast of characters trying to make DST into a RPG but without all the fun parts of an RPG :wilson_ill:

You’re saying this after Klei released 2 updates that changed up the world with half of this update being tweaks to those things. (As well as refusing to elaborate on why you don’t like the skill trees)

Edited by Dextops
  • Like 4

Despite everyone trashing on this update because it makes Wilson irrelevant, I think this is the right direction. Everyone keeps saying many characters needed to be re-reworked, this is Klei's chance to give you what you want. I don't know if these skill trees are really the way to go, but I'll take what I can get.

I want to say that Wilson is not useless, for everyone saying "you can store stuff in your beard and that's it" no, you can stay warm for a very long time, and you can manage a lot of your resources much easier- making him very beginner friendly as you pick up the game.

As for the new skill trees, I don't have super high hopes for wish list to completely come true. But I like that they are adding things that help long termers out with things like these wormwood crafts, I like the potential for adding more actual perks instead of reasons to switch onto a character and switch off. I just hope that they really consider characters like Winona who desperately need something, because I feel like they fixed the issues everyone had with Woodie and gave him a nice treat that nobody expected.

PS klei devs: We demand a Wigfrid unicorn canoe or something like that, it must be done.

• Like 7

Roadmap said there would be 3 game updates for the “From Beyond” story arc.  A secret Cross-Over, and 2 Core Game Enhancement updates.

Roadmap also stated that the resources and items we can earn FROM those updates would be “Vital” to our Survival throughout ALL areas of the game.

Vital literally means that without those items you’re more than most likely not going to live.

Roadmap did NOT state that there would be Character Reworks Part 2: Skill Tree electric bugaloo.

So where does this update fall into the current roadmap? Is this our 3rd game content update?? Is it one of those two promised Core Game Enhancement updates? Or is it something New Klei just tacked on out of nowhere?

I feel like very few people actually expected any character beyond Wilson to be getting a skill tree system.. 
and outside of the new Earthquake prevention pillars, and maybe woodies immunity to Moon transformations- I’m failing to see how any update released this entire Roadmap has been “Vital” to my survival throughout all areas of the game.

Perhaps that’s coming at a later time… but I can only judge things as they are now, and for right now- Nothing has felt vital.

• Like 1
  • Wavey 1
  • Shopcat 1

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

--snip--

NOTE: Please remember that the roadmap is provided to give the community a sense of what we are working on and what is driving our decisions and what we are focused on in the coming year. None of this is a promise or a guarantee. We always prioritize quality over deadlines and all dates and timelines are estimated to the best of our current ability. Many long-time fans will know that we often add new things to these plans which often shifts things around a bit, so it is recommended that you avoid scheduling your vacation plans around our dates.  -- JoeW

I think you forgot about this.

• Like 7
  • Wavey 1
  • Big Ups 1

Would be really nice if the Umbralla could be deployed similar to the star caller staff, having to drop it then right click it leaves time for acid rain to damage you, your head items, and spoil your food, and while it's not a huge deal, it'd make the item feel just a little bit better.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

--snip--

I believe this falls into the category of "Core Game Enhancement update". And no, it's not all areas, the new items are vital in this new stage, post CC and AFW, unless you want to be dealing less / receiving more damage. It's actually worse than other equipment vs pre AFW/CC threats (brightshade helm vs thulecite crown for example) since they don't have planar dmg / defense

Edited by Juanasdf
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dextops said:

You’re saying this after Klei released 2 updates that changed up the endgame world*

corrected

Last comment I do for u.

Those stuff they added felt insignificant and doesn't make the game feel any more survival-y or cool to explore. Don't Starve at least originally was built to be a survival game and the best parts of a survival game is exploring and finding cool things and surviving against difficult odds and slowly growing in power. Don't Starve was great especially with its 2 DLC the exploration feels wonderful the world is very lively Hamlet and SW especially were very good. DST doesn't feel like a survival game anymore all the updates for so long nothing has been added to improve the survival aspect or make exploring more fun or anything. The only survival things was the ocean + moon island and the ocean canopy update and that was it everything else is character changes, random stuff, and events!!!

Like if I had to say honestly the Uncompromising Mode team is doing a better job at making DST feel like a survival game than Klei is doing and that's just a random group of modders... so disappointing to me. DST is now just a RPG megabase skin-selling game with survival content sprinkled every few years and usually axed super hard if God forbid adds any challenge

No more elaborate.. ik how this forum works u elaborate then u get a "no u wrong" reply then repeats until JoeW struts in says "dont be harazzsings!!1" lol

Edited by . . .
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Ninja 1
  • Shopcat 1

4 hours ago, Jason said:

The next DST beta test update is live now. The main feature of this update is adding skill trees to three more of the Survivors: Wolfgang, Wormwood and Woodie. 

Go here to see how to enter the beta branch on steam if you have not done that before.

Changes:

• Wolfgang Skill Tree added
  • Wormwood Skill Tree added
  • Woodie Skill Tree added
  • Survivors can now craft large Support Pillars to create areas safe from quake debris.
  • Equipment forged from the Brightsmithy and Shadowcraft Plinth can now be repaired using specific repair kits.  When they reach a fully broken state, they can no longer be equipped until repaired.
  • Equipment changes:
    • Umbralla can now be activated on the ground to generate an area of effect rain barrier.  Please note that acid rain does not heal the Umbralla while it is activated like this.
    • Void Cowl and Void Robe no longer provide acid rain immunity.
    • Void Cowl and Void Robe no longer drain sanity when equipped.
    • Ramping shadow planar damage buff now only requires equipping Void Cowl instead of the full set.
    • Void Robe now blocks negative sanity auras (e.g. from monsters or other scary objects).
    • Brightshade weapon buffs now only require equipping Brightshade Helm instead of the full set.
    • Brightshade Helm now prevents Charlie attacks when standing in darkness.
    • Brightshade Armor now has minor damage reflection.
    • Dreadstone Armor and Dreadstone Helm no longer drain sanity when not self-repairing.

View full update

What is happening here??!! WHAAT!!!

• Big Ups 1
  • GL Happy 1

Just now, . . . said:

No more elaborate.. ik how this forum works u elaborate then u get a "no u wrong" reply then repeats until JoeW struts in says "dont be harazzsings!!1" lol

except you literally didn't elaborate on anything. I am trying to be as respectful as i can while arguing with you but i literally provided a counter argument to your original claim and your response was you just repeating your original claim without acknowledging anything i said.  Even now you aren't really elaborating with your statements. You don't explain why the rifts aren't "survival-y" despite them adding new lategame challenges as well as new lategame crafts. It's more "survival-y" than any biome they could've added and i hope they continue down this path.

• Like 7
  • Big Ups 1

8 minutes ago, Juanasdf said:

I believe this falls into the category of "Core Game Enhancement update". And no, it's not all areas, the new items are vital in this new stage, post CC and AFW, unless you want to be dealing less / receiving more damage. It's actually worse than other equipment vs pre AFW/CC threats (brightshade helm vs thulecite crown for example) since they don't have planar dmg / defense

The introduction of late-game world challenges will change The Constant in ways that players will need to adapt to, either by working with or against them. This will also provide Survivors with the opportunity to discover new resources and items that will be vital for their survival as they progress throughout all areas of the game. 

This would imply that the resources and items we can craft from this late-game content, will impact the entire game world, (Surface, Ocean, Caves) as all areas of the game means well…

All Areas of the Game.

In my head I’m thinking it would be cool if lunar rifts opened up and some ancient celestial beings “possessed” familiar mobs in the game by moon-tating them maybe into more powerful buffed up versions of existing mobs with new powers and abilities Similar to how pigs become Werepigs in Fullmoon.. I can imagine this celestial god possessing a Cute Catcoon and turning it into a Lunar Aligned aggressive mutant which would actually require me to use the Planar Damage/Defense Items.. and would in turn make those items “Vital” throughout all areas of the game.

But I’m honestly thinking Klei is going to drop the ball hard on this one… it’ll likely not be as “Vital” as I hope, and chances are: It’ll only be vital for one very specific & entirely optional Boss fight.

• Like 2
  • Shopcat 1

I can't believe the AUDACITY of constantly portraying Willow as bad for the game, inciting toxic behaviour, being the "griefer" character.

CONSISTENTLY shaving off her unique perks until she's just Wilson with perks BECAUSE OF GRIEFING.

And then Klei, in the most TOXIC way I will say, did something so hypocritical...

Which was to:

Give Wolfgang a craftable AOE FIRE EXPLOSION,

Give Wormwood craftable ENRAGED SALADMANDERS,

AND GIVE WOODIE THE OLD BELL ON DEMAND.

And Willow gets 0 FIRESTARTING PERKS outside of a NON INFINITE WORSE TORCH???

But of course NOBODY will ever criticize it because Lord knows people just view Willow as the "griefer" character.

Willow better get actual FIRESTARTING bonuses and perks in her skill tree since SHE is THE FIRESTARTER character.

Nobody else.

I like Bernie, I like cooking on the lighter but she is after all THE FIRESTARTER and that's what makes her unique and stand out.

Klei, please. Do better with her skill tree.

I am angry, and I have every right to be. This is a spit in the face in the faces of people like me who are passionate about Willow's character design and LOVED her since DS.

But Klei does have the chance to fix this with her skill tree.

Infinite Lighter, Overheating immunity, better fire starting, benefits from fire. 

Klei can pull it off, they're creative, just scared of angering people who've been wrong by random TROLLS on public servers.

But to end on a positive note, these skill trees are perfect ways to mend refreshes and add more depth to characters as well as expanded on their standing in The Constant in accordance to the current lore.

So props for that.

celestia twirl gif.gif

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Wavey 2
  • GL Happy 1
  • Potato Cup 1

2 minutes ago, Nikki Darks said:

I can't believe the AUDACITY of constantly portraying Willow as bad for the game, inciting toxic behaviour, being the "griefer" character.

CONSISTENTLY shaving off her unique perks until she's just Wilson with perks BECAUSE OF GRIEFING.

And then Klei, in the most TOXIC way I will say, did something so hypocritical...

Which was to:

But of course NOBODY will ever criticize it because Lord knows people just view Willow as the "griefer" character.

Willow better get actual FIRESTARTING bonuses and perks in her skill tree since SHE is THE FIRESTARTER character.

Nobody else.

I like Bernie, I like cooking on the lighter but she is after all THE FIRESTARTER and that's what makes her unique and stand out.

I am angry, and I have every right to be. This is a spit in the face in the faces of people like me who are passionate about Willow's character design and LOVED her since DS.

Infinite Lighter, Overheating immunity, better fire starting, benefits from fire. 

Klei can pull it off, they're creative, just scared of angering people who've been wrong by random TROLLS on public servers.

But to end on a positive note, these skill trees are perfect ways to mend refreshes and add more depth to characters as well as expanded on their standing in The Constant in accordance to the current lore.

So props for that.

celestia twirl gif.gif

lol

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nikki Darks said:

Which was to:

Nobody else.

So props for that.

celestia twirl gif.gif

Well even the devs said "Willow is the embodiment of griefer" on one of the "It Rhymes With Play" stream...

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Sanity 1
  • Wavey 1

48 minutes ago, Jestymun said:

Why make points? Why elaborate? Why care? They've tried, they've gone on long tirades arguing with the people who like the updates and even more against the crowd that sucks up to klei no matter what and fights any and all criticism levied against them. 

I don't think you'll get those heated and passionate debates from people that love this game anymore. That part of the community is gone.

thanks

There came a point where...there's just absolutely no point left in seriously discussing game design or anything vaguely similar on this platform.
Whatever happens happens. It's not my money anyway.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3
  • Health 1
  • Shopcat 1

1 minute ago, _zwb said:

Well even the devs said "Willow is the embodiment of griefer" on one of the "It Rhymes With Play" stream...

Were they referring to her as a character or referring to her personality? Because if it's the latter than that's pretty accurate lmao

9 minutes ago, Nikki Darks said:

When was the last time they did this? I know they removed her invincibility against fire EARLY on in DST, but she was reworked 4 years ago and got it back. Unless you mean her low sanity firestarting instead, but that'd be horrible in multiplayer not because of griefing, but because a new player just standing in your base would be enough to ruin everything completely on accident.

• Like 1