New Beta Update live - Skill Spotlight: Wormwood, Wolfgang, Woodie.

11 minutes ago, Jestymun said:

This is such a peanut brained post and I think you know it.

People are annoyed because they thought that Wilson's skill tree WAS his rework, and that was more or less okay. Now we're seemingly finding out that every character is getting a skilltree. Wilson was arguably a character that needed a rework the most as he was left so far behind the other survivers. Now he is left having a skill tree, but no rework, where the other characters will have their reworks and their skill trees. That's what's frustrating. Wilson was cheated of his rework. He just got his skilltree first. And it isn't great either.

Why are you so committed to Wilson in the first place? Like you have this tribalistic mindset about it. If other characters seem more fun then why not play the other characters?

Sorry, my peanut brain doesn’t understand, but it sounds like you’re attached to this character that was never designed to have unique quirks, and you’re upset that he doesn’t have a unique quirk.

Edited by cybers2001
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I don’t like this at all. Like many already said, this really doesn’t feel like it should be in Don’t Starve. It almost feels like a workshop mod. Oh well, nothing that we can do. I kind of hate how the beta/feedback process works. They will make ALL the content and call it a beta just to tweak some things. There’s no point in saying anything in hope for a reconsideration. The menu animation is done, the skill trees are done, etc. Depending on how this turns out, I might not play the game again at all. Very sad direction.

• Like 6
  • Big Ups 1
  • Sad Dupe 2

14 minutes ago, cybers2001 said:

Why are you so committed to Wilson in the first place? Like you have this tribalistic mindset about it. If other characters seem more fun then why not play the other characters?

I'm not committed to Wilson. I rarely play Wilson actually, I mostly play wigfrid, wormwood, and Maxwell. I'm not being tribalistic either. I do think other characters are fun. I just think you're being willfully ignorant as to why players are upset.

16 minutes ago, cybers2001 said:

Sorry, my peanut brain doesn’t understand, but it sounds like you’re attached to this character that was never designed to have unique quirks, and you’re upset that he doesn’t have a unique quirk.

Was Wilson never supposed to have unique quirks? In base DS his beard helped him survive the one big obstacle in the game that comes on it's own terms: winter. Additionally meat effigies were the only reliable revive meathod in that game, making the easy access to beard hair pretty significant. The game has come a long way since then, and most characters have changed to reflect that. I don't think it's a stretch to think that Wilson might benifit from an update. 
Also it sounds a lot like you don't play wilson, and yet you are telling wilson players what their character is supposed to be, and saying that they don't have a right to want something else, which is obnoxious.

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 1

9 hours ago, ThymeSpirit said:

when for years the consensus was "Wilson should be as plain and boring vanilla character as possible, don't give him anything special, he is special because he doesn't do anything

Is this consensus in the room with us right now?

For years now, since the reworks had begun I've been very vocal about how Wilson should become more than the blank character he is

How Klei could've leaned into his 'sat on the Throne' aspect, how Shadow Wilson could've became a thing

So yes, I AM going to complain about how Wilson's only specific thing, that he was given, got taken away

• Like 7
  • Big Ups 1

1 minute ago, Szczuku said:

How Klei could've leaned into his 'sat on the Throne' aspect, how Shadow Wilson could've became a thing

Wilson actually sat on both Charlie's Throne and Wagstaff's "Throne" just to get %10 damage boost to enemies. Lol.

• Like 2
  • Sad Dupe 1

23 minutes ago, roverNemeZiS said:

I hope everyone agrees that if skill-trees make the game easier, then the game itself should become harder?

i think content is coming for late game additions that will make the game harder; but not make the game too difficult for new players leading to them becoming overwelmed by said additions.

• Like 1

So antithetical to all of Don't starves' design.

How something so intrinsically against the idea of interacting with the world to grow stronger and better equipped to handle what the world would throw at you even made it to public beta is astounding to me.

I'm Glad you finally opted to buff Woodie and Wormwood but this philosophy is awful.

• Like 6

Wow… I’ve never really had a desire to play as Woodie before…

But I do now. 

If we can look forward to more stuff like this, then I fully embrace the Skill Tree Overhaul Era. 

But if they don’t give us the WX Jaeger Bot ability on his skill tree… WE RIOT!!

• Like 3

Please just tell me this isn't one of the 'core game enhancement updates', the game needs a lot of work in a lot of aspects and skill trees won't fix glaring issues with the crypticness of progression or the state of the ocean. Other than that, pretty decent skill trees? At least for wormwood and woodie.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JJ0264 said:

maybe to make them more varied

Willow's lighter can cook half a stack for 5%-10% 

Walter can cook 2 ingredients at a time

Warly can uses crockpot in general 25% faster

That would be so much fun if our chef can build grills on campfire like gorge, but have 5 or more inventory slot (but can only accept single item like drying rack) to cook multiple item in the same time. 

2 hours ago, _zwb said:

I think so, considering Willow is the pyromaniac character, as for gameplay... everyone can make a torch.

well maybe the focus will turn form mere fire to explosives or even fireworks. immagine u can crate floting paper lantern or mortar as willow. that would be nice touch for our lovly maniac .

• Like 1

A bit conflicted with with this update.
Firstly, I like the changes with the void and brightshade stuff.

Secondly, I thought the next update would be the big bang that would tie in the first 2 updates? I don't see anything related to the rift stuff other than some QOL improvements to the existing things.

Thirdly, The skill trees are what I'm most conflicted about. One one hand, it's good to see more features for each character, and this would mean some characters like winona would get more interesting. On the other hand though, This makes Wilson less unique now, the game is starting to feel like an RPG game instead of survival, and it also feels like another round of re-re-reworks... again. Which I thought they gave us the impression that characters won't be tweaked anymore after Wilson refresh.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

hello 
Uh, oh, so I tested the new beta and I really don't like it, woodie definitely needed this change,  wolfgang is okay, but he didn't need a buff but freaking wormwood 75% of his new skillset perks  is useless , like who needs more bloom? or a walking carrot and friendly saladmander following  you , turning him into webber v2.0 
i started maining wilson because of his rework making him so special he even got his animation , now everyone is getting a skillset tree turning wilson into a joke character from "haha no rework" to "haha basic perks on your skillset tree" 
i like the idea "changing" the characters that no one plays but do they really need a skillset? 
characters like willow , winona , walter? definitely need a buff but not in that way  i mean you can skip "the surviving experience" by using one command 

basically klei is turning Don't Starve Together into pick-a-like RPG game "do you want to be on the bright side or the dark side"

• Like 1

I personally really love this update, and I'm super excited for the rest of the cast to get skill trees! I feel like this really opens up for additional fun and experimentation in DST! I may not enjoy the rift/endgame updates (yet?), but as a casual player I really enjoy the idea of skill trees because it's applicable to all stages of the game!

Thank you, Klei! :wilson_love:

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

15 hours ago, Jason said:

The next DST beta test update is live now. The main feature of this update is adding skill trees to three more of the Survivors: Wolfgang, Wormwood and Woodie. 

Go here to see how to enter the beta branch on steam if you have not done that before.

Changes:

• Wolfgang Skill Tree added
  • Wormwood Skill Tree added
  • Woodie Skill Tree added
  • Survivors can now craft large Support Pillars to create areas safe from quake debris.
  • Equipment forged from the Brightsmithy and Shadowcraft Plinth can now be repaired using specific repair kits.  When they reach a fully broken state, they can no longer be equipped until repaired.
  • Equipment changes:
    • Umbralla can now be activated on the ground to generate an area of effect rain barrier.  Please note that acid rain does not heal the Umbralla while it is activated like this.
    • Void Cowl and Void Robe no longer provide acid rain immunity.
    • Void Cowl and Void Robe no longer drain sanity when equipped.
    • Ramping shadow planar damage buff now only requires equipping Void Cowl instead of the full set.
    • Void Robe now blocks negative sanity auras (e.g. from monsters or other scary objects).
    • Brightshade weapon buffs now only require equipping Brightshade Helm instead of the full set.
    • Brightshade Helm now prevents Charlie attacks when standing in darkness.
    • Brightshade Armor now has minor damage reflection.
    • Dreadstone Armor and Dreadstone Helm no longer drain sanity when not self-repairing.

View full update

Wortox Skill Tree soon?  

image.png

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Just-guy said:

The wormwood skill tree is very well done, but I don't see any point in the petals, fruit flies and the part where the moon creatures are summoned, they are most likely just buggy now (I'm talking about carrot rats), they pick up things that lie in your fields and so on in a circle, maybe it makes sense to make them active during the day so that in the evening and at night they crawl out and look for food in a certain radius . Just as for me, if you already use the skill with the moon mushroom, then it makes sense to make immunity for Wormwood from sleep so that he does not fall into drowsiness

I have a few suggestions on how this can be changed if anyone is interested:

Replace the production of petals with the ability to shave off the bloom at the time of need with a razor, while losing 5-10 hp and getting 6 petals for it Or, in full bloom, get 20-30% more heal from ointments, bandages and other heals, or give 10% protection from all sources in winter (covered with bark) or get two herbs from a seedling at once he can't make grass bushes 

Change the ability of fruit flies to the ability to flood the garden in one go as in 2, thereby speeding up the mass production of giant vegetables

Thanks to everyone who read this 

• Like 1
  • Health 1