New Beta Update live - Skill Spotlight: Wormwood, Wolfgang, Woodie.

im loving this so far klei as someone who plays Wolfgang a lot i would say his skill tree was needed as the new enemies made him feel week  even in his mighty form and for woody was needed as he needed a way to counter the full moon and the goose flight is good for exploring early and the rest is handy to if u main him  on the wormwood one i would say feels a bit less but i cant say much on him as i dont play him much the new skill trees r unique like the Wilson one is special to him and what he can do as a character and the others r tide to what they can do im looking forwarded to what u come up with or the others and to see them grow along with the game 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DarkPulse91 said:

everyone out here hating on more skill tree's when this is exactly what I predicted and exactly what I wanted!
Thank you so much for this! cant wait to see more!

I agree, I wanted this too.

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 1

based on these characters being more lunar aligned, i predict the next skill-tree focused update will be shadow aligned characters

specifically wanda, willow, and winona (especially wanda cuz they said they would add planar stuff for her alongside wolfgang)

• Like 1

man, it feels like Wilson is no longer special because of the new skill trees. if all characters get their own skill tree, which is where it seems like this is going, it will take every last drop of uniqueness out of Wilson's refresh. maybe he's meant to be the default, easy character, sure. but as a Wilson main, this kind of stings. the one thing that made him unique after so long of being "just okay" compared to the other characters... is no longer unique to him. this makes me sad, although i'm sure my comment won't really change much. :C

• Big Ups 1

7 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Huh, pretty sure some forumite suggested something like that during Woodie's rework.

@Canis or @Scrimbles I think

Yup! Spot on, this was back when I was hoping they would focus on the Werebeaver alone, along with maybe giving it the ability to swim.

I didn't think they would dilute it into 3 separate forms that are all worse than the sum of their parts, and also ruining the joke, but that's long since past...

• Thanks 1

TLDR: I think the skill tree takes away from core elements of the game, and distracts from the simplicity of the early game for newer players.

I really don’t love this ☹️ normally i’m like yeah Klei pop off, you have an amazing game and the updates usually end up good but I just hate this idea. I was already skeptical of the skill tree for Wilson but it is a cool feature for a character that was getting a rework (whether it was needed or not). I dislike the idea of skill trees because it takes away from the basis of the game I feel like. You’re supposed to survive, not starve, and eventually get all the story stuff started, but i think this is an unneeded element that takes away from this. I think it would be better for new people to not have to worry about a skill tree, if this is going to be on every character eventually. I can understand that this will improve some characters i’m sure, but they said they were done with reworks (i think i could be wrong), and i feel like this either 1. reworks characters again instead of focusing more on the really cool story they have going, or 2. initially nerfs these character drastically until you unlock their current default abilities in the skill tree.

For newer players, I feel like the experience of learning about all the cool scary things that you have no idea what they do is really a big part of the fun of it. I just feel like adding a somewhat complex element of a skill tree takes away from this, and changes the focus.

Idk this is just my initial take, not like it’s the end of the world but I just really disagree with this idea rn because it’s not something i was particularly a fan of in the first place. Still will be the one of my favorite games ever no matter how questionable some of the updates may be.

• Like 4
  • Sad Dupe 1

10 minutes ago, HojMcFoj said:

and distracts from the simplicity of the early game for newer players.

yeah honestly this might be my biggest issue with the skill tree system, as much as I like what they've done with Woodie and Wormwood

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Paxtonnnn said:

In a normal world, this is post-Celestial Champion, nobody cares about darkness at that point and CC already drops what's pretty much an infinite light source hat.

Edit: didn't realize people already replied to you about this, whoops

Only here you can switch in the settings and then you will have it in the first days... it's not right when an object that doesn't physically emit light scares Charlie away. Just give him the most minimal switch for the sake of logic. But honestly it would be better if they just killed this function

6 hours ago, Well-met said:

it's nowhere close a day 1 hat.

If you enable it in the settings, then almost 1 day. We already have an enlightened crown . So why give this strange function to the armor element

• Like 1
  • Shopcat 1
  • Potato Cup 1

34 minutes ago, HojMcFoj said:

TLDR: I think the skill tree takes away from core elements of the game, and distracts from the simplicity of the early game for newer players.

I really don’t love this ☹️ normally i’m like yeah Klei pop off, you have an amazing game and the updates usually end up good but I just hate this idea. I was already skeptical of the skill tree for Wilson but it is a cool feature for a character that was getting a rework (whether it was needed or not). I dislike the idea of skill trees because it takes away from the basis of the game I feel like. You’re supposed to survive, not starve, and eventually get all the story stuff started, but i think this is an unneeded element that takes away from this. I think it would be better for new people to not have to worry about a skill tree, if this is going to be on every character eventually. I can understand that this will improve some characters i’m sure, but they said they were done with reworks (i think i could be wrong), and i feel like this either 1. reworks characters again instead of focusing more on the really cool story they have going, or 2. initially nerfs these character drastically until you unlock their current default abilities in the skill tree.

For newer players, I feel like the experience of learning about all the cool scary things that you have no idea what they do is really a big part of the fun of it. I just feel like adding a somewhat complex element of a skill tree takes away from this, and changes the focus.

Idk this is just my initial take, not like it’s the end of the world but I just really disagree with this idea rn because it’s not something i was particularly a fan of in the first place. Still will be the one of my favorite games ever no matter how questionable some of the updates may be.

Not saying your wrong not even implying it but I feel like that experience has long since been compromised I had that feeling when hostile flares, the moon, and the rain book were introduced items that can greatly warp a new players first time and expectations for survival not saying those were the only cases either just that's when it started to really hit me.

3 hours ago, Freedoomfrot said:

Definitely do not like this change. I thought it was neat at first with Wilson and unique and that it fit him, adding them to every other character with weird useless skills is not the way to go. Most characters will just have a set in stone set of abilities that everyone will pick every run without any diversity, which is the main thing skill trees are trying to add. Completely contradictory to each other.

Are you gonna be using the walking cane skill or Weregoose flight on Woodie on day 500? No. Are you going to be using Wormwood's brightshade gear perks on day 1? Unless you enable rifts by default, no, you won't. Same goes for Wolfgang's planar damage, what use is that branch if you don't have access to planar gear yet?

People will select skills as they play the game to suit their current needs, and if everyone defaults to using one set of skills, so what? If people enjoy using a specific set of skills, let them. You're literally complaining about 1) something that hasn't even happened yet, and 2) people having more choice in how they play a character. 

Also people saying skill tree doesn't feel like Don't Starve when that game literally had an XP and character unlocking system based on how long you survived.

Edited by Baark0
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 1

18 minutes ago, Creatorofswamps said:

Only here you can switch in the settings and then you will have it in the first days...

image.png.6adadd918e9f12ad94bfa753295dc752.png

Does this option being here ruin the game to the extent you think the brightshade helmet protection does?

• Like 5
  • Big Ups 1

2 minutes ago, Paxtonnnn said:

image.png.6adadd918e9f12ad94bfa753295dc752.png

Does this option being here ruin the game to the extent you think the brightshade helmet protection does?

That's a more divisive question than you realize it's somewhat like comparing using easy mode to using white tanooki  Mario in 3d land(suit that gives the player complete invincibility for the entire stage) 

• Sanity 2

I mean has anyone ever honestly died to Charlie before? I never have, even when I first started playing. I'm pretty sure I've never died to Charlie once, only getting hit by her out of curiosity. Being immune to Charlie by wearing an end-game armor on your head isn't really that big of a deal? I would even argue it's not that good of a perk, a much STRONGER and overpowered perk would be preventing you from going insane while wearing it. THAT would have actual practical uses, like a reverse purple amulet.

1 minute ago, Mysterious box said:

That's a more divisive question than you realize it's somewhat like comparing using easy mode to using white tanooki  Mario in 3d land(suit that gives the player complete invincibility for the entire stage) 

Yeah I'll admit I was oversimplifying things, but still, it's an odd thing to complain about. Allowing end game items to spawn early will mess with balance a bit, that's just to be expected. Things should be mainly judged based on the default experience

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Paxtonnnn said:

Yeah I'll admit I was oversimplifying things, but still, it's an odd thing to complain about. Allowing end game items to spawn early will mess with balance a bit, that's just to be expected. Things should be mainly judged based on the default experience

This is true and but even that's problematic a end game item generating light without a cost or risk is a problem compare it to the enlightened crown even side by side they seem to be the same but the moment you start fighting with the crown on you begin to lose sanity which without maintenance sets you below the required threshold to generate light. On the flipside this helmet is a armor that doesn't decay unless you get hit too much the moment you have this armor darkness as a mechanic stops existing there are no compromises there is no strategy it's just not there anymore.  

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

1 minute ago, Mysterious box said:

On the flipside this helmet is a armor that doesn't decay unless you get hit too much the moment you have this armor darkness as a mechanic stops existing there are no compromises there is no strategy it's just not there anymore.  

Sure, but you're still losing sanity and can't see a thing other than where you are (unless you have certain client mods but that shouldn't be part of the discussion) so I don't see how it could be THAT powerful. Darkness goes from a possible threat to an inconvenience when wearing the helmet, it's still there to an extent

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Paxtonnnn said:

Sure, but you're still losing sanity and can't see a thing other than where you are (unless you have certain client mods but that shouldn't be part of the discussion) so I don't see how it could be THAT powerful. Darkness goes from a possible threat to an inconvenience when wearing the helmet, it's still there to an extent

Largely your right however keep in mind that we've only been going further in this direction and even if you can't see very well it still represents the slow decline of darkness as a mechanic.

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

5 hours ago, Paxtonnnn said:

Were they referring to her as a character or referring to her personality? Because if it's the latter than that's pretty accurate lmao

I think so, considering Willow is the pyromaniac character, as for gameplay... everyone can make a torch.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

This is true and but even that's problematic a end game item generating light without a cost or risk is a problem compare it to the enlightened crown even side by side they seem to be the same but the moment you start fighting with the crown on you begin to lose sanity which without maintenance sets you below the required threshold to generate light. On the flipside this helmet is a armor that doesn't decay unless you get hit too much the moment you have this armor darkness as a mechanic stops existing there are no compromises there is no strategy it's just not there anymore.  

Except typically you’d have a celestial crown by the time you get brightshade gear so… what’s different, really??

4 minutes ago, cybers2001 said:

Kinda sad that the Wilson mains are literally crying because other characters get some new toys. Like if you enjoy playing the vanilla character, why do you care what other players get? Get over it.

This is such a peanut brained post and I think you know it.

People are annoyed because they thought that Wilson's skill tree WAS his rework, and that was more or less okay. Now we're seemingly finding out that every character is getting a skilltree. Wilson was arguably a character that needed a rework the most as he was left so far behind the other survivers. Now he is left having a skill tree, but no rework, where the other characters will have their reworks and their skill trees. That's what's frustrating. Wilson was cheated of his rework. He just got his skilltree first. And it isn't great either.

• Like 8
  • Shopcat 1
  • Big Ups 1