New Beta Update live - Skill Spotlight: Wormwood, Wolfgang, Woodie.

30 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I can use Woodie and Wormwoods new skill trees as Excellent examples- Why the hell wasn’t Woodie able to craft a new medallion or transformation blocking hat, rather then these in my opinion lame, Skill perks?

Firstly because you need to survive a set amount of days to get access to that, while a craftable can be acquired at any point

Secondly because it transfers between worlds

And finally because you need to choose what perks you want, while wendy has access to all potions... For now lol, maybe if or when she gets perks she'll unlock new potions with some of them

Edited by Juanasdf
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Arkon 007 said:

Dude, it's just ******* cool) As a person who loves Wormwood, I am satisfied))) 

Me too! All of my wormwood complaints have been washed away with a single update. I am content, I can rest now.

thanos-what.gif.64ab8a9cb000246b3c5feaf24ba68024.gif

• Like 8
  • Haha 2
  • Happy Hazard 1
  • Big Ups 2
  • Potato Cup 2

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Yes.. but it’s just confusing as hell to me that Klei advertises this “From Beyond” as clearly being the End Game of DST… so What on earth is the “Point” in giving characters skill trees if you only obtain those skill trees during the last parts of the game?

In compression it’s like buying the Seasons pass to Batman Arkham Knight only to find out to actually use those 50$ worth of different Batmobile skins you have to beat the entire game first, and by that point there’s nothing left to do but drive your batmobile around in an empty city that’s been cleared of all crime.

TL:DR- WHY ADD SKILL TREES AT THE END OF THE GAME?!?!

So confusing… 

You unlock skills as you go... the skill tree itself isn't endgame stuff. There are critical aspects of it that are locked to the endgame though

1 hour ago, Lakurius said:

garbage update imo

at least have some respect for the time the devs put into dst to continue making it exciting as the DS/DST franchise enters its 10th year.

Any update > no update, and these aren't small QoL updates either.

• Like 8
  • Shopcat 2
  • Potato Cup 2

hey, I will try to bring some ideas, I hope I can explain things and give good suggestions.

first it is a 'bug', when you activate showing all recipes in the settings (crafting preview), the items locked by the skill tree wont appear even tho I opted to 'show all recipes', maybe those items should appear in the crafting tab too.

Now, maybe wolfgang could have 2 skills related to 'leg day', in the first, he is 10% faster wimpy, 5% normal, and in the second tier of 'leg day' he could be 20% faster wimpy and 10% faster normal (maybe 5% when mighty, bc it will help speedrunners in shadow pieces fight, 20% mag + 5% wolf speed + 25% of road will be enough to kite shadow rook lv3)

about woodie, for my surprise weremoose is very decent now in fighting, thx for this change, I will definitely try him a lot during this beta, and the best part it is totally optional to use those new things or not, If I have to say something, the treeguard idol is rewarding but not so dangerous, maybe it could spawn more tree guards aggroed on the player? it will be difficult to fight more than 2 tree guards at the same time and it will be rewarding after killing all of them (the world was in day 150 and my character too, so I assume it is supposed to spawn only 1 treeguard independent of the day).

that is it. Good job, really liked this beta at first sight.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Yes.. but it’s just confusing as hell to me that Klei advertises this “From Beyond” as clearly being the End Game of DST… so What on earth is the “Point” in giving characters skill trees if you only obtain those skill trees during the last parts of the game?

In compression it’s like buying the Seasons pass to Batman Arkham Knight only to find out to actually use those 50$ worth of different Batmobile skins you have to beat the entire game first, and by that point there’s nothing left to do but drive your batmobile around in an empty city that’s been cleared of all crime.

TL:DR- WHY ADD SKILL TREES AT THE END OF THE GAME?!?!

So confusing… 

I think it’s to

1: Get people to try characters they never wood

2: Get players to try more challenges (like killing fuel weaver and celestial Champion)

3: The late game will bring more unique challenges to the players and because of that better characters will help keep it from being unfair

4: also I think the skill tress are just kinda lumed with from beyond with them being slowly unlocked while playing with the only from beyond thing being the affinities 

5 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Me too! All of my wormwood complaints have been washed away with a single update. I am content, I can rest now.

thanos-what.gif.64ab8a9cb000246b3c5feaf24ba68024.gif

Yeah Ngl I really wanna play wormwood now because of these changes!

• Like 3
  • Health 1
  • GL Happy 1

ohh yeah give me them skill trees klei i adore skill trees i LOVE being able to pick and chose perks and playstyles for characters i already enjoy 

god i wish i could have a skill tree in real life heck yeah.

thank you :)))

Edited by BiddoBams
  • Like 3
  • Shopcat 2
  • Potato Cup 1

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Survivors can now craft large Support Pillars to create areas safe from quake debris.

It would be an amazing change if you made pillars use the normal building placement instead of the walls building placement. Would make it a lot easier to build with the pillars!

I would love to be able to build a pillar in the middle of a tile but cant with the current build placement.

Edited by -Nick-
  • Like 5

Despite what I said before, I do wish they had gone in a more interesting direction than skill trees. But I'm still a bit excited to see how this changes underpowered characters, and hope they continue giving less impactful skills to characters who are already powerful enough, like they did with Wolfgang here, so that the underpowered characters don't just get left behind again by power creep.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RotTown said:

Does this not defeat the whole point of Wilson’s rework..?  If more characters are getting a skilltree his rework now seems like he just got some new idles and clothes

OR consider this. Wilson wasn't the last character to be reworked but was instead the first survivor to get updated in this new lunar vs shadow meta

Quite fitting for wilson to lead things off. This will get debated until the end of time but it's not like wilson actually needed any significant reworking anyways. 

• Like 5
  • Potato Cup 2

13 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Я тоже! Все мои жалобы на полынь смылись одним обновлением. Я доволен, теперь я могу отдохнуть.

танос-что.gif.64ab8a9cb000246b3c5feaf24ba68024.gif

Yeah, relax in your beautiful garden surrounded by beautiful flowers, bushes and huge vegetables)

• Like 2
  • GL Happy 1

dawg i am standing over his corpse (i've killed him twice at this point)

Screenshot 2023-07-03 151335.pngYeah unfortunately it’s just a thing that happens I had kill them for the Wilson rework. Best wishes on your next battle 

Edited by RonanMcQ
  • Like 1

The skill trees skills are very fun, especially on Wormwood, since they work around the character's abilities unlike Wilson who really only has his beard as his upside, though some of these could have been buffs to the original abilities like Weregoose base speed or improving Mushroom Planters.

Wormwood's Petal Production could be turned into spawning flowers on the ground, getting Petals in your inventory doesn't seem very useful and quite annoying if I want to have at least one slot free.

Edited by Just-guy
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, Jason said:

• Wolfgang Skill Tree added
  • Wormwood Skill Tree added
  • Woodie Skill Tree added
  • Survivors can now craft large Support Pillars to create areas safe from quake debris.
  • Equipment forged from the Brightsmithy and Shadowcraft Plinth can now be repaired using specific repair kits.  When they reach a fully broken state, they can no longer be equipped until repaired.
  • Equipment changes:
    • Umbralla can now be activated on the ground to generate an area of effect rain barrier.  Please note that acid rain does not heal the Umbralla while it is activated like this.
    • Void Cowl and Void Robe no longer provide acid rain immunity.
    • Void Cowl and Void Robe no longer drain sanity when equipped.
    • Ramping shadow planar damage buff now only requires equipping Void Cowl instead of the full set.
    • Void Robe now blocks negative sanity auras (e.g. from monsters or other scary objects).
    • Brightshade weapon buffs now only require equipping Brightshade Helm instead of the full set.
    • Brightshade Helm now prevents Charlie attacks when standing in darkness.
    • Brightshade Armor now has minor damage reflection.
    • Dreadstone Armor and Dreadstone Helm no longer drain sanity when not self-repairing.

I dont have much time as i'm off to TwitchCon Paris, but as someone who is very vocal on all the wrongs :^), there are insane ammount of positives in this patch. The skilltrees (minus few little things in woodie & wormwood) look absolutely amazing and make me super excited to see the rest of the survivors.
This patch might actually finally hook me again.

Thanks Klei, and cya all Tuesday.

Edited by GLERMZ
  • Like 15
  • Health 1
  • Shopcat 1

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Brightshade Helm now prevents Charlie attacks when standing in darkness

Please don't do this,. . This destroys the whole concept of fear of the dark. We don't need a way to fight it. If you want it that way, then let it glow a little in the dark and lose its strength at night. It would be better than just standing in total darkness without being afraid of Charlie.

• Like 6

It's quite funny to see everyone complain about "Wilson's only unique thing taken away", when for years the consensus was "Wilson should be as plain and boring vanilla character as possible, don't give him anything special, he is special because he doesn't do anything".

• Like 34
  • Haha 3
  • Sanity 1
  • Wavey 1