Cawnival discussion (now with a poll)

Look, this wasn't here before  

178 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts about the Cawnival?

2. 2. Reason:

• It adds a lot of great decorations and minigames
    • It was advertised as a summer event yet it has nothing to do with the summer
    • Crow people are a great lore addition
    • It only caters to the sandbox aspect of the game
    • I'm sure future anual additions will make it a great event
    • The event didn't even include any new skins
    • It will keep the game more interesting after Klei stops monthly updates
    • It is self-centered, decorations look out of place anywhere outside the cawnival
    • Other (write in the comments)

Given that my PC had a stroke I am not able to experience the event myself.

Still, I did see what it's about and I'd never miss an opportunity to make a thread like this.

The new event is rather... awerage. Nothing too exciting, lots of flashy stuff, y'know 'build an entire setpiece revolving around this thing'- kinda vibe coming off of it. Seems like it'd get boring an hour after you build everything. The decorations are, obviously, colourful because why should we have the original aesthetic back.

There is already a thread talking about how dst's artstyle is changing for the worse so I'll leave this part alone.

This event kind of shows how Klei is just... pumping stuff into the dst universe without much thought behind it. I mean, we got a high class, Hamlet-esque, intelligent crow society just like that. No need to make much backstory, just say that they come from a land far away and you're good.

Idk, I feel that a regular update would've been a better way to spend the resources than this. This event didn't even include any new skins so either the devs are planning some big brain move related to this event or... or I have no idea what they are doing.

Anyway, discuss

I'll be real with 'cha, the event feels like an event for the sake of an event. 
Too bad there were no skins included to make it sweeter but I guess that's the downfall of releasing game content for 4 games or so at the same time....

i enjoyed the event it was fun and it was easy to make competition with friends no skins doesn't really bother me (because poverty) and its a nice addition and i like it more than winters feast and hallowed nights art style i don't really care i don't notice that stuff

From what I’ve read the people that enjoys megabasing and decorations were very happy with it. I enjoy more the adventure side of the game, the exploration, and the fights, so yeah for the ones like me, this event doesn’t really have much going.

I guess it’s not easy to please everyone for a game with so many layers and ways to play it. I’m still happy with the fact that they added a new sentient species to the lore which I hope to see more about in the future, and basically that hey: new free content.

3 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Idk, I feel that a regular update would've been a better way to spend the resources than this. This event didn't even include any new skins so either the devs are planning some big brain move related to this event or... or I have no idea what they are doing.

2 hours ago, Fuffles said:

I'll be real with 'cha, the event feels like an event for the sake of an event. 

^ this is kinda how i feel about it too. the visuals are cute and the little decorations r nice for base building (not all though, majority of the stuff doesnt seem applicable to non-carnival builds if you know what i mean) 

I was expecting something that was more intricately connected to Summer as a season and not just new mini games that arent connected to anything else in the world. Winter's feast adds the klaus sack spawner and no eyed-deer etc which introduce new elements and points of interest to seek out in the world.

The carnival in comparison seems like optional fluff like the Chinese new year mini games. 

the fact that it didnt come with skins also feels really odd 

I really like it, main reason is the decorations it gives, it has nice colours, wood things, I love birds, so I love the event, not much else, it's just some nice fresh and pretty content. :distracted:

Personally i love the event 

2 hours ago, Ohan said:

^ this is kinda how i feel about it too. the visuals are cute and the little decorations r nice for base building (not all though, majority of the stuff doesnt seem applicable to non-carnival builds if you know what i mean) 

I was expecting something that was more intricately connected to Summer as a season and not just new mini games that arent connected to anything else in the world. Winter's feast adds the klaus sack spawner and no eyed-deer etc which introduce new elements and points of interest to seek out in the world.

The carnival in comparison seems like optional fluff like the Chinese new year mini games. 

the fact that it didnt come with skins also feels really odd 

I mean it does come with new summer clothing and a drink to keep you cool personally tho this is my fav event so far it's more about having fun doing the event rather than the fun you might have with the rewards which is fine by me.

it is very epic, it is very fun to do with my friend and over all the rewards are very epic, i do have one complaint and that is that there arent more minigames so that i could turn an entire biome into a carnival but other than that it is very epic and also i whish there was a carnival floor being added because savanna floor isnt very canivaly

I appreciate the work that has gone into these updates as always but i personally hate the mini game based events. The chinese new year events must drive alot of new players into the game though if they are doubling down on events of this type, so i guess as long as there are people enjoying them then i cant complain too much. Just gonna wait patiently for a seasons refresh or something compareably as big to return to the game.

My base complaint about it is that unlike winter's feast which originally added Klaus, a pretty cool winter activity that stood year round, this is just the event stuff and that's what. What's more, it doesn't seem like it would be very wise to do this in summer at all, because, you know, wildfires, it would fit more as an autumn event.

I was not expecting a full on summer rework, but i was expecting something that could really stay from the event onto the game, like the beefalo stations from Yotb.

11 hours ago, Szczuku said:

This event kind of shows how Klei is just... pumping stuff into the dst universe without much thought behind it. I mean, we got a high class, Hamlet-esque, intelligent crow society just like that. No need to make much backstory, just say that they come from a land far away and you're good.

When has DST ever been explicit about every single piece of lore? Maybe these crows are the effect of the crows that Wes brought into the Constant evolving and creating a society?

11 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Seems like it'd get boring an hour after you build everything.

I've played almost two years in these past two days personally! Excellent event, reached far past my expectations and is quickly becoming my favorite seasonal event DST has had so far.

I don't know. I found the games really cute, the mystery decorations a fun challenge, the new decorations absolutely amazing (the miniature tree... Just, bury me and put it on my grave.), my friend dying of hunger because she forgot it's a thing while we were playing the games, cute characters and plenty of room for improvement. Since we can expect more to be added in coming years, I think this is a solid base for some cool stuff to develop. Sure, it might get boring after a while, but is a really cool thing for when you have a moment to spare. 

3 hours ago, sudoku said:

I appreciate the work that has gone into these updates as always but i personally hate the mini game based events.

I liked the carrat racing minigame thing, it didn't feel like a skinner box but rather more of a who-can-dink-the-others-over-while-still-winning-yourself thing.  Though the track setup was tedious.

Did you find it enjoyable?

Honestly? I'd be fine with keeping the majority of base-building in events and have content updates focus on adventure/survival content. Sounds like a win in my book.

This event is small atm, but as stated, it'll get added to over the years. Should shape up nicely.

But yeah, the art discrepancies are concerning. I was only really bothered by Big Bernie and few other things outside of skins, but that list has been growing with Year of the Beefalo and this here Cawnival. Not sure what can be done though. Seems like we either get these slightly unfitting sprites or no content at all, y'feel?

So the Ticket booth is a free, infinite light source just stand near it.

Im tempted to put one of these on a Boat (if possible) Just because it’s a cool looking light source that doesn’t require fuel of any sort.

Did I just say that about a Uncompromising Wilderness Survival Game? I believe I did.. and I believe more than ANYTHING that the game is starting to stray further and further away from its roots.

But I have to be Unbiased- I can’t complain too much because this type of content will appeal to casual players and is fun to do if you only have 30 minutes to an hour to play..  AND on top of that Klei’s been doubling down on letting me personalize my game experience to make it as easy or as hard as I feel like playing at the time 

(such as being able to toggle MORE Nightmare Monsters or None at All..)

I believe that as long as the game continues to go down this path of allowing us to decrease/increase the difficulty in various ways: That we can find a nice balance between casual & experienced playing.

Ahem.. that said- I wish more focus would be put into new biomes, mobs to fight and places to explore..

Rather than Mini-Games and Non-Hostile NPC’s.

Its supposed to be a Uncompromising Wilderness Survival Game after all...

Now Klei just needs to add a lot less compromising things, and more Wilderness to survive within.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

So the Ticket booth is a free, infinite light source just stand near it.

Im tempted to put one of these on a Boat (if possible) Just because it’s a cool looking light source that doesn’t require fuel of any sort.

Did I just say that about a Uncompromising Wilderness Survival Game? I believe I did.. and I believe more than ANYTHING that the game is starting to stray further and further away from its roots.

the sad thing is is that its not even the most broken thing this year. whose idea was crops that grow in winter? wasnt preparing for and surviving winter the main goal of the original game? and they're just like "**** it, add free food that grows in winter" along with the character refreshes just being buffs its a little concerning

lots of great things have been added and 9/10 of the new stuff has been great. not to mention that you can customize the game to be harder, I mean all night mode is still brutal. its just like, a tinsy winsy bit concerning when the uncompromising wilderness survival game is slowly getting further and further from that

IMO, normally I'd just be "Eh, whatever" and move on. But due to how Klei initially advertised this event, it feels just... really lackluster.

First, the original name was summer solstice.

I have no idea what this event has to do with either of those things.

Sure a couple of the items have summer utility, and apparently carnivals are a thing that happen on Summer Solstices. But between all the painted eggs and bird themeology, this honestly feels more like a spring event than a summer event. Like, they could have released this update a month ago and called it something like "Eggcelent Spring Bonanza" And nobody would have bat an eye. One would expect a summer event to do with the sun, the desert. Heck, an ocean-themed event would have been great for the summer solstice, sense aquatic activities are generally done during the blazing heat of summer.

Second, When the event was first announced as the Summer Solstice. The Winter event, Winter's feast, got name dropped. Thus causing a lot of people to assume that the new event would be similar to Winter's feast.

Now, that's not an entirely fair comparison, obviously. Winter's feast has had about 5 years of content added. And honestly, given the more recent additions, Midsummer Cawnival is about par for the course.

However, When Winter's feast was first added, the game received the Addition of Klaus. A boss who stuck around after the event ended, and who many consider the best raid boss in the game.

So the event was expected to be comparable to Winter's feast for summer, which meant the possibility for new general summer content. And realistically... Yeah. Summer desperately needs new content. Basically every thread about the seasons agrees that it's the worst season. And not just because it's the harshest.

Anyways, there's probably more that I'm forgetting, but that should be the main thing.

Archived