Cawnival discussion (now with a poll)

Look, this wasn't here before  

178 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts about the Cawnival?

2. 2. Reason:

• It adds a lot of great decorations and minigames
    • It was advertised as a summer event yet it has nothing to do with the summer
    • Crow people are a great lore addition
    • It only caters to the sandbox aspect of the game
    • I'm sure future anual additions will make it a great event
    • The event didn't even include any new skins
    • It will keep the game more interesting after Klei stops monthly updates
    • It is self-centered, decorations look out of place anywhere outside the cawnival
    • Other (write in the comments)

39 minutes ago, JWalker1311 said:

Summer insulation at the cost of a backpack also useless when 80% players spend summer in caves. 

sounds like a problem with thermal stones and/or the caves rather than the event

38 minutes ago, Well-met said:

sounds like a problem with thermal stones and/or the caves rather than the event

Actually, it sounds like a problem with summer and its mechanics. A problem which a summer-themed event could have tackled at least a bit.

You don't burn a bridge down (nerf caves) because people don't want to swim in the river (spend summer on the surface).

3 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Actually, it sounds like a problem with summer and its mechanics. A problem which a summer-themed event could have tackled at least a bit.

You don't burn a bridge down (nerf caves) because people don't want to swim in the river (spend summer on the surface).

45 minutes ago, Well-met said:

Is a problem with summer loot/risk. Atleast in RoG you need to be in the surface to get DF scales, now the only reward is antlion loot and decorations

Just now, Well-met said:

arent the caves hot in DS1? I don't know why they changed that

They are but i kinda like the change. Has sense and would be so annoying to bring more items to the ruins cleaning. 

I like how the game makes you choose between a punishing season or spending time in the harder part of the caves (constant sanity drain, earth quakes and worms are very dangerous for new players)

Atleast not as hot as the surface

3 hours ago, JWalker1311 said:

Summer insulation at the cost of a backpack also useless when 80% players spend summer in caves.

How did you get that 80% statistic? From my experience I mainly see players either building in the oasis desert to avoid wildfires, or turning them off entirely, I haven't seen many people spending their summers in the caves since... before RoT, honestly, it was a long time ago that I can remember that being the standard. It's possible that most of the people you see spend their summers down in the caves, but it's important to look outside of your own bubble when talking about the game, since as you can see here we see entirely different things from where we are that will never quite make up a full view.

Just now, HowlVoid said:

Im seeing a lot of passive-aggressiveness. Its ok to not like new content, as we all have different tastes. 

Not to sound cruel but it's the only way the devs can hear us. Humans aren't mind readers. It's cruel but a direction for the devs to take note on for the future. 

As a artist, sometimes cruel comments make me push harder for my work than "oh thats awesome". 

Its plenty of fun but has a problem with shelf life, it would only take me a few days to get whatever i want from the booths. None of the loot is bad, its just awfully ununique. I can get a summer shirt with the same insulation with only a little bit of prep work. Not that id want that stuff removed, i just feel like its missing a centerpiece reward, maybe a fan that doesnt need to be refilled and gives players in a radius similar to an ice flingo 60 overheat protection and prevents wildfires. Its not an ice flingo it doesnt put fires out, but it will prevent them from starting. 
Its not that the event is bad, its just lacking a bit of real reward for me, food is ubiquitous, and overheating is best solved with an eyebrella.

If i'm going to be honest, the event itself feels cookie-cutter, and that would fine.... if it wasn't for the fact that there is a dozen of other things Klei can go do instead of the event. Idk about everyone else, but I really don't like the events in general, since they just boil down to gimmicky mini games you get invested in for less than 2 hours and then ignore it for the rest of the year (or what may as well be forever if it's the "year of" events). At least, that's what they are for me. So whenever I see that Klei is doing something new for Winter's feast, Hallowed nights, Etc, It makes think "why have content that a bulk of the community is only going to play for a few hours during this one (1) month when you could just add in something permanent, like Klaus"? 

And as other mention, it doesn't help that this event literally came out of nowhere. The other 3 events had a them that made sense with the months they were releases (Winter's feat took place on winter, Hallowed Nights took place on Halloween, etc), but this event has pretty much nothing to go do with summer; making it feel like it was just shoe horned in for whatever reason.

Idk, maybe if the event tried to do more to make summer less of a drag, i'd prob would be a bit more positive about it but... It really feels kinda pointless and uninteresting to me, truth be told.  

4 hours ago, Superlucas1231 said:

k, maybe if the event tried to do more to make summer less of a drag, i'd prob would be a bit more positive about it but... It really feels kinda pointless and uninteresting to me, truth be told.  

That's probably the response klei needs to improve it. The disappointment from several players will give them a direction for the future to improve upon.

Hello (once again)

My PC has been repaired and so I spent the last few days playing dst. So this time my opinion on Cawnival is actually based of my gameplay experience rather than just watching someone else's. Don't worry I'll keep this short, it's just my general feedback to Klei.

The event, much like I have predicted, got boring about an hour after I constructed it. Sure, building a little setpiece with turfs, plants, fireflies and cawnival decorations was nice... but I have built like 4 different setpieces already in my world. It's nothing special. 

The minigames serve as yet another way of watching in-game days go by while I try to convince myself that I'm not wasting my time.

Mystery boxes are kinda a cheap time-grab for players that have to collect every available cawnival decoration. And the decorations themselves (maybe apart from midsummer lights) look out of place everwhere else. Sure I can place some decorations in my base since most bases usually have no distinguishable themes. But most of the decorations are strictly for cawnival builds.

This isn't anything new, I mean heck, look at Winter's Feast's stuff. Try to place a festive table in a survival or sea-themed build.

Overall this feels like an event for the sake of an event. It did pretty good for its first irl year, I can see that thought and effort went into making it. Perhaps in 3 years it'll be a lot better.

My wish to Klei is that now you guys focus on the base game. For me the content we got in 2021 so far was underwhelming (except march qol). I'd like some updates that focus on more variety in sprites and animations, randomized stuff that keeps the gameplay somewhat unpreditable and obviously new big content like new biome with its own flora and fauna (obviously introduced through multiple updates, I know you guys can't make stuff that fast)

Archived