Cawnival discussion (now with a poll)

Look, this wasn't here before  

178 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts about the Cawnival?

2. 2. Reason:

• It adds a lot of great decorations and minigames
    • It was advertised as a summer event yet it has nothing to do with the summer
    • Crow people are a great lore addition
    • It only caters to the sandbox aspect of the game
    • I'm sure future anual additions will make it a great event
    • The event didn't even include any new skins
    • It will keep the game more interesting after Klei stops monthly updates
    • It is self-centered, decorations look out of place anywhere outside the cawnival
    • Other (write in the comments)

This update definitely feels more like a place holder for a time that normally lacks content. Really out of place and lacks a sense of purpose or direction. Everything is just kind of there and self-contained and that may have been the intention all along.

Glad some people are enjoying it.

Cheers! 

10 hours ago, CarlZalph said:

I liked the carrat racing minigame thing, it didn't feel like a skinner box but rather more of a who-can-dink-the-others-over-while-still-winning-yourself thing.  Though the track setup was tedious.

Did you find it enjoyable?

The only chinese new year event i actually thought was worthwhile was the beefalo one, mainly cause it added the bell and beefalo customization. For me all of the minigames boil down to sitting in base and watching animations play out which just isnt something i find fun. I know technically non minigame related activities, like cooking or sailing, can kinda be deconstructed as watching animations play out but the minigames just feel very superfluous and more obvious to me as they lack any real, worthwhile decision-making, and kind of hardlocks the server from making non mini game  progress as players are encouraged to sit in base to enjoy the new content, at least until the majority of players lose interest.

My main gripe is that pretty much only cosmetics were added. This is fine and all, but in the 2021 roadmap, the event was said to be like Winter's Feast, which confused I (and probably others) to think that it would be a pretty big event in terms of content. Instead, I think Klei wanted to say that the event would be like Winter's Feast, in the sense that it gets updated over time, and lasts for just a month. The only functional items that will probably be used on a day to day basis were the summer clothing items, but those take up the chest slot, which more often then not will mean most people won't use them, since the convenience of even just 8 inventory slots is too good to pass up. Sure, I guess we got 2 sources of "infinite" light, but it's not like darkness is much of an issue in the first place.

I don't hate the event, the crows are rather charming, I'm just a little dissapointed that it wasn't the summer Winter's Feast I'd hope it'd be.

1 hour ago, Friendly Grass said:

Just played with the event for the first time with a friend. There’s so much more carnival stuff than I expected!

My  reaction when playing with friends. It was rather lonely playing the game alone. Having extra friends and putting several trees felt like a bigger goal to make the cawnival alive. 

I love the acorn status of showing how much decorations are needed. Didn't expect so many crows as the cawnival was decorated.

21 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

very fun minigames and cool decorations also it is open to get more minigames in future years so is perfect imo

idk why people though we will get a summer rework. Did winter feast changes winter? nope

The problem with adding more minigames would be their size, the games are already big and to add more would be overkill

This is going to be biased as heck to say but I REALLY REALLY Want a Harley Quinn Mallet in this game...

Cawnival Event seems like a colossal missed Opportunity Klei had to give me that.

now before people jump on the hate band wagon for me wanting DC Comic skins in DST- let me just say that we ALREADY have the Big Top Skinset... We ALREADY Have Invisible Pantomimed tools...

So there’s my Arguement Klei- Gigantic Harley Mallet skin for next years Cawnival Plz? :wilson_love: 

I think the biggest issue with it (as stated by others) is that it adds absolutely nothing in terms of new gameplay mechanics. Trees dont drop fruits, lights dont last long and none of the prizes have any use other than decoration. 
Why nothing with lunar island? Halloween had lunar essence. Winter's Feast is absolutely amazing and this is nothing compared to that. 
There is no reason to have it other than for decor. That's just.... sad?

3 minutes ago, JWalker1311 said:

I think the biggest issue with it (as stated by others) is that it adds absolutely nothing in terms of new gameplay mechanics. Trees dont drop fruits, lights dont last long and none of the prizes have any use other than decoration. 
Why nothing with lunar island? Halloween had lunar essence. Winter's Feast is absolutely amazing and this is nothing compared to that. 
There is no reason to have it other than for decor. That's just.... sad?

the green and orange leaf suits are good

2 hours ago, JWalker1311 said:

none of the prizes have any use other than decoration. 

I've been stockpiling Seed Clusters during early game. They do not spoil and restore 40 Hunger. Quite decent for mere 12 Prize Tickets.

4 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

free light that last all the night for a cheap price plus isolation cloths. More than i would expect for a minigames event

The ticket booth itself is a free infinite light source and provides a huge area of light, people were complaining about adding houses to DST because it would kill the survival aspects of darkness- yet I don’t see anyone but myself bring up the point that the cawnival ticket booth is a really cheap infinite light source.

6 hours ago, JWalker1311 said:

The Chirpy Cloaks have Eyebrella-level summer insulation that can even be stacked with it because they're in the body slot, seed clusters can be used for hunger or for storing corn seeds forever with no need for bundles, Corny Slush is like a shorter (40 seconds) asparagazpacho that's available to everyone, the prize booth is infinite light if you stand close, and the midsummer night lights last a full 8 minutes if activated with a token. The Midsummer Cawnival is awesome in terms of gameplay mechanics, you just have to get creative with some of them.

25 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

The ticket booth itself is a free infinite light source and provides a huge area of light, people were complaining about adding houses to DST because it would kill the survival aspects of darkness- yet I don’t see anyone but myself bring up the point that the cawnival ticket booth is a really cheap infinite light source.

It is so cheap yeah. I didnt care cuz we have mushlights with better range and only cost lightbulbs (before you kill CChampion/fill witu 4 festive lights). Also this is limited to an event so pubs cant access to it. People on private servers can wait until late to activate it they seems like they would be cheating for using them

Also houses cant be compared to a tiny light. These lamps doesnt protect you from weather, mob waves, etc. Hamlet houses are so damn broken because you can fill the house rooms with weapons, armors, healing, food, etc and in case of danger go in and prepare for the danger of outside. You can even wait for a hound wave to happend at day time

Cant be compared

The lights are useless. The whole premise of toadstool being bad was because the lights inside glowcaps spoil eventually. Same for these lights. 

Summer insulation at the cost of a backpack also useless when 80% players spend summer in caves. 

Seed clusters are fine for early game exploring maybe. But all the decor builds are late game stuff. 

Anyway, this sandbox event is fine, survival event like forge would have been better, that's all. 

17 minutes ago, JWalker1311 said:

The lights are useless. The whole premise of toadstool being bad was because the lights inside glowcaps spoil eventually. Same for these lights

Not all the people said that toad is bad. Just some that wants better loot from him for some reason that i dont see

18 minutes ago, JWalker1311 said:

Summer insulation at the cost of a backpack also useless when 80% players spend summer in caves. 

Not all the players go down at summer and the ones who do it dont do it every single summer so is a good adittion and more from a minigame event

19 minutes ago, JWalker1311 said:

Anyway, this sandbox event is fine, survival event like forge would have been better, that's all. 

I dont see how forge can be tag as survival but ok. This is and ingame event like winter feast, halloween night, etc. And, imo, the best one

Archived