[Game Update] - Against the Grain (BETA 205256)

6 hours ago, Lumina said:

Yeah, playing beta is a risk. A risk about finding a boss too dangerous before he is tuned, or something too powerful, common, or others things that could remove pleasure. But if something isn't added to an old world during the beta phase, this thing will not be added to old world in the final version. So i don't see why people are guilty of playing beta here...

You're quite right about that. But isn't it just assumed that after a major new DLC that adds new biomes, you'll need to generate a new map? Could people who played vanilla DS update to ROG and keep their maps?

• Like 1

Just now, Rellimarual said:

You're quite right about that. But isn't it just assumed that after a major new DLC that adds new biomes, you'll need to generate a new map? Could people who played vanilla DS update to ROG and keep their maps?

The fact is : Klei did a wonderful job about stuff like toadstool and bee queen and other stuff to include them in existing world. It was not possible before, and suddently you don't have to create news worlds to enjoy all the new content of the beta.

And suddently again, there is one thing when it's not possible. So we got a very great feature, and this feature isn't working for this update. Of course it could be disappointing, because it wasn't expected. If you read the previous topic, some asked about "will we have to create new world" and some poster (me among others) answered "it should be the case", so it wasn't so obvious that you'll have to recreate new world.

Of course i understand now why (because new biome), there are reasons (valid reasons), but it wasn't predictible before the update.

• Like 2

Ok i've tested in deep this new patch and here's what I liked and disliked :

• Pro :
    • Oasis system and new cactus are cool.
    • Sands storm is pretty immersive and intense.
    • AntLion's skin is nice and fun.
    • Succulent plants is a nice idea.
  • Cons :
    • Sands storm is really too long.
    • The AntLion's wrath is really cheap and the effect so trivial. Here's an idea, when the AntLion is not in a good mood he trigger the sands storm, and when he's happy the sky is blue.
    • I would have liked that AntLion is a new boss instead a new PigKing like.
    • The new boulder system is really limited and I don't understand the finality.
    • Why succulent veggie is so useless as food (only +1LP)? And why I can't put it in a crock pot?

In conclusion, the patch gives me the impression that there are good ideas but that you aren't get the job done.

Edited by SamLogan
  • Like 12

I play this game on PC, I've only EVER played it on PC (because I can't afford modern consoles as well), and _I_ had to make a new world.  It was annoying, but I'm not that surprised--add entire new biomes, and that's kind of a necessity.  Now, when pets or the Bee Queen or the Toadstool came in you didn't have to, because those were placed into biomes that already existed.  (Pets--rockland or desert, Bee Queen--meadow usually, Toadstool--ruins.)  But, this is a bit different, and more involved.  As said earlier in this thread, changing up from vanilla to RoG required a restart, too.

Am I _happy_ about this?  No, of course not.  But I understand the necessity, and while I'm at it, I get to tweak the world the way I want it before starting and have new stuff to explore!  Exploring = yay!  (Also "Pickle It!" is finally working properly.  In my last world it was partly borked and I still have no idea why.)

I have yet to actually meet the Antlion or see a sandstorm or cave-in--like I said, new world, it's only a few days old at this point--but a few other important issues _must_ be addressed:

1.  Pineapple is okay on pizza as long as the meat is ham ("Canadian" bacon).  Pineapple goes with ham, like when you have _a_ ham and you cook it in the oven with pineapple slices on it for decoration/flavour.  It does NOT, however, go with pepperoni.  Although if the rest of the pizza is good I'll probably still eat it anyway.  (And you'd be surprised just HOW many things we think of as vegetables are actually fruit.  A LOT.  Well, there's two ways of categorising them--botanically and culinarily.  A cucumber is a fruit just as much as a watermelon, with even similar white seeds. (And a similar-textured rind!)  But nobody thinks cucumber _tastes_ like a fruit.)

This is not a fact; just me chiming in with my own opinion.  : P

2.  ...why is Wickerbottom a goth cheerleader?  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  (Yes, I'm aware that (a) that isn't actually a cheerleader outfit and (b) I'm missing a reference.  That was just my first thought when I saw the picture.)

3.  Antlion can _identify_ as a girl if they want, but since we don't speak Antlion we'll never know.  So "he" will have to do.*  ;) 

...Notorious

*And now I've suddenly flashed on that lion character from Undertale who said that Mettaton gave him the confidence to wear a dress...

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, minespatch said:

So... What makes antlion a she?

Well Wilson calls her a she in some of his lines as in "that should calm her down for now" and "she seems mad" so maybe that's where people are getting it from?

Edited by Angel_Octoling
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

A cucumber is a fruit just as much as a watermelon, with even similar white seeds. (And a similar-textured rind!)  But nobody thinks cucumber _tastes_ like a fruit.)

cucumis-metuliferus-fruit-600x450.jpg

This vegetable/fruit is a cucumber called Kiwano and is rumored to have a taste close to melon. It seems to be used in some dessert recipes.

I guess even cucumber could have the taste of a fruit.

Also, carrot as ingredient for cake is well know, but i know some people use zucchini in cake to give a good texture (you don't really feel the zucchini)

Edited by Lumina
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, SamLogan said:

The lioness has no fur around the head, so AntLion is a male. :p

51 minutes ago, minespatch said:

So... What makes antlion a she?

Also, is there a back view of the antlion?

Quotes refer to the Antlion as a she. While it can just be the characters assuming its gender (which would be strange, cause most would assume male due to the mane). It's more likely a meta source of knowledge.

Edited by Zeklo
  • Like 1

Note that there were several cases that female lions were documented in the wild having manes and behaving like males, however, they were fully female.

And to make it even better, it is possible for a male to have no mane at all.

Edited by halfrose
  • Like 3

And there are maneless male lions, too.  (Also:  transgender lions.  REALLY?  Cool.)

Lumina:  Well no, _related_ things, sure.  REGULAR cucumbers were the only ones I was talking about.  (shrug)  I mean, I know that things can taste like both a veggie and a fruit.  I've eaten a jicama, for example.  It seriously tastes and...textures like a mix between a raw potato and an apple (while of course _being_ neither).  Bizzare stuff.  And yeah, using veggies as filler/binding element in pastries, I know about that...I mean, heck, Willow even mentions it if you have the "Pickle It" mod!*   And yes, carrots are sweet.  (I LOVES me some carrot cake.  Mmm.)

But, in general, you know what I meant.  : P  Also I kinda want to try one of those things now.  I think Don't Starve has warped my brain a bit, 'cos when I see random spiky plants in this context I'm like "Yum, cooked cactus!"  (There's been a couple of times when that was the ONLY food available and it saved my life.  It was also my first pet's first meal.)

ANYway.  I suppose I should probably go play the game so I can like, actually _see_ the new content and have something relevant to say, huh...?

...Notorious

*If you pickle cabbage and then have her look at it, she'll say something about how "my grandfather used to bake sauerkraut into his chocolate cake".  Which is a legit thing, and also makes it sound like maybe Willow comes from a German immigrant family...except whoops--mod, so not canon. Kinda funny considering that YEARS ago, Jacksepticeye _also_ randomly decided Willow was a little fraulein and gave her the name "Gildred".  XD

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SamLogan said:

The lioness has no fur around the head, so AntLion is a male. :p

Remember that the Goose/Goose is a female despite having antlers and the Beefalos all possess horns even tought this traits are only for the males of the species. It appears that Don't Starve creatures don't really follow the same gender differences of real life animals.
Image result for moose gooseImage result for moose female

• Like 3

Come to think of it yeah...I mean, Don't Starve is already really unrealistic, why should we expect it to follow real-life animal gender roles?  Especially since most of the animals are either mixes of two or more Earth animals or _called_ by just one name but look little like the originals...(spiders, I'm lookin' at you.  Although, there are some female cows who naturally have horns--smaller than the males' horns, though.)  Since the Spring Giant is a hybrid creature it gets a little iffier--maybe the mammal part is male but the _bird_ part--which is the part that lays the egg--is female...?  So it'd be...let's use the umbrella term "non-binary".  And beefalo have MONKEY faces, for pete's sake.  Monkey.  Faces.  They're also clearly not normal animals by real-world standards.

The characters seem to have some insight into gender that we don't (or just like to guess), considering Wendy can look at a shaved beefalo--with horns, of course--and say "She's already lost everything"--and Wigfrid always refers to both kittykits (FINE!, I was gonna call them my more favoured nickname of "kitcoons", but somebody will correct me) and mandrakes (!) as female...  ("She just wants to go on a rutabaga saga!")  If I could think of any other examples I'd put them here, but I'm kinda brain dead at the moment.

Now I want to name a band Rutabaga Saga.  It'll be a Viking-ish style heavy metal band, but with humour.  : P

...Notorious

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SandvichSpy said:

Remember that the Goose/Goose is a female despite having antlers and the Beefalos all possess horns even tought this traits are only for the males of the species. It appears that Don't Starve creatures don't really follow the same gender differences of real life animals.

Seems like most of the creatures are asexual hermaphrodites containing parts from both genders.  That would explain many things.

Edited by Mr.Midnight
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, tricksters said:

How do you get the update? I have it from steam but it has yet to upload still, is there something i'm missing?

59 minutes ago, Imagionary said:

Howdy, guys!

I haven't received the update, yet, and I was wondering how to get it?

I use the PC, Steam version.

Is it because I'm in the U.S., has it not dropped here yet? 

I really want to do some squats xD

Yeah, it's too bad there isn't a sticky thread with instructions on how to get into the ANR beta. Oh, wait...