[Game Update] - Against the Grain (BETA 205256)

1 hour ago, ExtollerOfTrolls said:

Are there any recipes for the Succulent? It looks a lot like Aloe Vera and would be handy in healing or something.

The only I found was was for pottet succulent, which requires 5 succulent and 1 cutstone, also I got the blueprint for it by fishing in the pond

Edited by Histekia
fail
  • Like 1

Aww, that picture is adorable.  :)  Speaking of adorability...

newcactus.png

I just saw the new cacti.   Pout.  The old ones were cuter.  Sure, this looks more officially cactus-like, but I'm gonna miss those little round boop! pincushions.  Ever see a bunch of those grow back at once?  It's AMAZING. They all just...re_inflate_ from the ground up with a cartoon sound.  : P

Ah well, at least we still have the adorable round pincushion cacti in regular Don't Starve...  I still haven't seen any of the new succulents yet.  Although I did find the oasis.

...Notorious

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Aww, that picture is adorable.  :)  Speaking of adorability...

newcactus.png

I just saw the new cacti.   Pout.  The old ones were cuter.  Sure, this looks more officially cactus-like, but I'm gonna miss those little round boop! pincushions.  Ever see a bunch of those grow back at once?  It's AMAZING. They all just...re_inflate_ from the ground up with a cartoon sound.  : P

Ah well, at least we still have the adorable round pincushion cacti in regular Don't Starve...  I still haven't seen any of the new succulents yet.  Although I did find the oasis.

...Notorious

I was there before summer too and found nothing but an empty pond and in summer it was full of water and succulents were around it, so i guess they only grow in summer? maybe?
Also when you see the new cacti bloom in summer, you totally see charlies doing, they look very nice a little bit girly i would say

Oh!  Huh.  It never even occurred to me that they'd be two different kinds. My own Dragonfly desert had Her Royal Fireyness SO close to the (narrow) entrance, I couldn't explore it very much.  : P  Also yeah, when I saw the oasis it was a round swirl of sand, that's it.  'Cos it was fall.

So, two different desert types, to go with our two different forest types...? Interesting.

...Notorious

Edited by CaptainChaotica

I've got a few questions about the desert goggles perks.

1. Dose it have any heat resistance? If so how much?

2. How about wetness resistance? Again, if so how much?

3. What is the durability of the goggles?

4. Do the fashion goggles have any resistances? (kinda doubt it)

5. Why the heck aren't fashion goggles and desert goggles the same item?

• Like 9

0. They give +3.3 sanity / minute.

1. No heat resistance.

2. Yes, 20% waterproof.

3. 10 days durability.

4. No, they're the same as the desert goggles but they don't protect your eyes.

5. Look at it this way: at least you can raise their condition back to full one time for a pig skin.

• Like 6

I know I'm probably not gonna have many people agree with me, but I'm glad the Antlion isn't a boss. ANR is full of bosses which for the most part aren't too great, and having a pig king equivelant is much more creative. On the other hand, having that also be a volcano from SW equivelant is...pretty bad. 

• Like 11

17 minutes ago, TemporaryMan said:

1. No heat resistance.

Ouch. That's pretty bad for an item that's used almost exclusively in summer. I wasn't expecting eyebrella levels of heat resistance, but I was at least expecting something.

Well, I guess I'll pass on the oasis base if that's the case. It's pretty far away from anything good with the world I ended up in. No heat resistance on the goggles is just the nail in the coffin for me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr.Midnight said:

Seems like most of the creatures are asexual hermaphrodites containing parts from both genders.  That would explain many things.

Such as 1 beefalo suddenly turns into 10+ beefalo after spring. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SamLogan said:
  • The AntLion's wrath is really cheap and the effect so trivial. Here's an idea, when the AntLion is not in a good mood he trigger the sands storm, and when he's happy the sky is blue.

Agree. When I looked at Antlion and compare to Volcanic Altar and Pig King, I noticed that the Antlion doesn't have any turf + obelisks next to him like the latters.

At least in SW, there is a "salty" meter for the volcano.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Ok. Stop.

This is not some PC master race/console war thing going on here. Do you know why the PC version gets more attention? It's because pushing out updates are FREE. Last I knew Microsoft and Sony actually charge developers for each patch, so if you have a game that's in constant development the PC is usually the better choice of platform. Because of the fee it's usually better to push out a lot of stuff at once on console instead of adding little chunks at a time.

Once ANR is out of beta I'm sure they'll be giving the console version the much needed love that it deserves. Right now Klei has a lot on their plate with Oxygen Not Included, Hot Lava and the ANR beta for DST. Just give 'em a bit more time. Klei is an indie development studio after all.

Hence why 99% of games are far more expensive on console. We pay a lot more for a game than PC players. Take ark survival for example in my countries currancy (ZAR) its R105 on PC and R800 on PS4. 

If you expand a game to another platform you better be prepared for all its benefits and consequences. Dont give me your PC master race BS. I know PC is far superior to console but I dont like it when one platform gets neglected in favor of another. If you charge a platform full price then you better deliver at full value simple as that.

also dont give me this bs about sony and microsoft that make it harder for devs to patch games being the reason console is neglected. There are many games that run a lot better and have way more console focus than PC. Despite what you say. Look at games like call of duty specifically call of duty ghosts. Ghosts ran pathetically on even the most high end PC's because it was so badly ported and had such little focus as opposed to the console versions. And many other console games that were made for console then ported to PC. Fact is the platfrom is irrelevant its up to the devs to put the effort in to porting the game to the other platforms.   

Edited by Spyro1

10 minutes ago, Spyro1 said:

Hence why 99% of games are far more expensive on console. We pay a lot more for a game than PC players. Take Ark Survival for example in my countries currency (ZAR) its R105 on PC and R800 on PS4. 

If you expand a game to another platform you better be prepared for all its benefits and consequences. Don't give me your PC master race ********. I know PC is far superior to console but I don't like it when one platform gets neglected in favor of another. If you charge a platform full price then you better deliver at full value simple as that.

Also don't give me this ******** about Sony and Microsoft that make it harder for developers to patch games being the reason console is neglected. There are many games that run a lot better and have way more console focus than PC. Despite what you say. Look at games like call of duty specifically call of duty ghosts. Ghosts ran pathetically on even the most high end PC's because it was so badly ported and had such little focus as opposed to the console versions. And many other console games that were made for console then ported to PC. Fact is the platform is irrelevant its up to the developers to put the effort in to porting the game to the other platforms.   

@Spyro1, if you are on that state and manner of words, you can please leave. Even if you are on your state of expressing every heartfelt anger inside of you to me, I'll be mature enough even not to reply you and disregard your existence as a forum member. @Sinister_Fang gave you a formal reply with the amount of decent courtesy.

But then again if you're on that manner I'm hands down. Yet try to have a relaxed mind and explain your expressions. Miscommunication are one of the hurdles towards a fruitful discussion.

• Like 12

Hee!  It's a skin!  A bumble spear.  I consider it my luckiest drop ever, as it's a freaking ELEGANT.  :D

(That said, I didn't actually intend to make this picture a "LOOK AT MY COOL THING"--that just happened to be what I was carrying at the time.  Because I just barely finished fighting hounds.  : P)

...Notorious

• Like 2

Maybe i'm the only one but this update to me looks kinda meh...

I don't know... The pond gives you only trinkets and blueprint for the goggles; the goggles only use is to travel to the antlion that after all is just a pig king that gives you materials to craft the teleportator and needs to be calmed down...

Succulents are kinda useless, and boulders in the caves are just a way to extend the antlion rage underground, with the mechanic of carrying them useless too...

And about the emotes i don't see anything special, they are funny but they are really a minor thing...

I'm not saying that this is a bad update, I like the Teleportator for example, but i expected more from Against the grain: new mobs, a new boss, new weapons and items, basically i wanted some new rewards for the player, and beside the teleportator there isn't much left...

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, LordChicken said:

I don't know... The pond gives you only trinkets and blueprint for the goggles; the goggles only use is to travel to the antlion that after all is just a pig king that gives you materials to craft the teleportator and needs to be calmed down...

I don't know at Klei actually thought it would be a good idea to base an entire update around fishing and RNG.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LordChicken said:

Maybe i'm the only one but this update to me looks kinda meh...

In fact it's not a smaller update than nearly all the ANR updates. They never were presented as big update, each update is "small". This is what allow a good testing (because it's a beta).

If the size of the update are a source of disappointment,you should really consider stop playing beta branch and wait for the ANR update reaching the main branch, they are bigger and more... a whole. Because now we have thing without knowing if it's just a piece of something bigger that will give a better immersion.

I know i stopped playing some beta in the past because small amount of new things time to time was too little for me and I was exhausting the fun of each update too quickly, sometime waiting more between updates is a better way to enjoy the new content.

• Like 2