[Game Update] - Against the Grain (BETA 205256)

There were two deserts previously, too, unless you were unlucky. The second desert had 'oasis' area with ponds and catcoons, many buzzards around but no hounds (unless you got Hound Fortress). There were tumbleweeds.
Rip the old 'oasis' desert, I guess.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lumina said:

In fact it's not a smaller update than nearly all the ANR updates. They never were presented as big update, each update is "small". This is what allow a good testing (because it's a beta).

If the size of the update are a source of disappointment,you should really consider stop playing beta branch and wait for the ANR update reaching the main branch, they are bigger and more... a whole. Because now we have thing without knowing if it's just a piece of something bigger that will give a better immersion.

I know i stopped playing some beta in the past because small amount of new things time to time was too little for me and I was exhausting the fun of each update too quickly, sometime waiting more between updates is a better way to enjoy the new content.

Yeah but for example I enjoyed Winter fest more and even now that many contents from Winter fest disappeared i still like it more than Against the Grain...

1 hour ago, LordChicken said:

Yeah but for example I enjoyed Winter fest more and even now that many contents from Winter fest disappeared i still like it more than Against the Grain...

Maybe but you can't make a winter fest in multiple update. One before chrismas and one three weeks later will have no meaning for a winter fest, so maybe winter fest was "concentrate".

When Against the Grain could be like Bee Queen, improved later with small additions.

10 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Yeah, and that just makes the antlion desert an even less appealing location to setup a camp too.

Is it a bad thing ?

22 minutes ago, Lumina said:

Is it a bad thing ?

Yeah. Once the I saw the oasis I thought it would be a pretty neat place to setup a camp. But the more I learn about everything the less practical it looks. The only unique resources it has are trinkets and cacti. But you get the same thing and more out of living in the dragonfly desert.

Oh, and the antlion desert also has foliage 2.0. But again, that's not really much to encourage living there.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, LordChicken said:

Maybe i'm the only one but this update to me looks kinda meh...

I don't know... The pond gives you only trinkets and blueprint for the goggles; the goggles only use is to travel to the antlion that after all is just a pig king that gives you materials to craft the teleportator and needs to be calmed down...

Succulents are kinda useless, and boulders in the caves are just a way to extend the antlion rage underground, with the mechanic of carrying them useless too...

And about the emotes i don't see anything special, they are funny but they are really a minor thing...

I'm not saying that this is a bad update, I like the Teleportator for example, but i expected more from Against the grain: new mobs, a new boss, new weapons and items, basically i wanted some new rewards for the player, and beside the teleportator there isn't much left...

I think the point of the New Reign DLC is mostly aesthetic change and not gameplay.I don't think the developers intend to change the existing play style of people which has been established from few years of development.

That's why any new mobs that are added like Toadstool, Klaus or Bee Queen are always raiding bosses so that survival is in no way affected

And they have added a lot of contents like statues, marbles, roses, stagehand, pets, fences, fossil, scarecrow etc. which improve the aesthetic beauty.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Spyro1 said:

Hence why 99% of games are far more expensive on console. We pay a lot more for a game than PC players. Take ark survival for example in my countries currancy (ZAR) its R105 on PC and R800 on PS4. 

If you expand a game to another platform you better be prepared for all its benefits and consequences. Dont give me your PC master race BS. I know PC is far superior to console but I dont like it when one platform gets neglected in favor of another. If you charge a platform full price then you better deliver at full value simple as that.

also dont give me this bs about sony and microsoft that make it harder for devs to patch games being the reason console is neglected. There are many games that run a lot better and have way more console focus than PC. Despite what you say. Look at games like call of duty specifically call of duty ghosts. Ghosts ran pathetically on even the most high end PC's because it was so badly ported and had such little focus as opposed to the console versions. And many other console games that were made for console then ported to PC. Fact is the platfrom is irrelevant its up to the devs to put the effort in to porting the game to the other platforms.   

Do you know how many buggy and broken ports the PC gets? It's quite a lot actually. In a lot of these cases it's because the developers or publishers hand the game over to a 3rd party to port it. At least in this case Klei actually cares about it's games enough to do it themselves. And as far as I'm aware, it's an actual working port instead of a horrible, buggy, unplayable mess like some game ports have been.

And again, Klei is stretching themselves already by having at least 3 different projects going at once. They likely just won't have the resources to work on the console version until ANR is out of beta. They're an indie studio, not a AAA developer. And the PC is the original platform DS/T was developed on. Of course it's going to have more content then the console. It's an easier platform to develop for games with a large beta or continuous development (but that unfortunately comes with it's own issues. Exhibit A: 90% of steam early access games). Honestly, I'm expecting Klei is gonna get some work done on the consoles once ANR is polished up on the PC.

I'm not trying to throw any PC master race bullcrap at you. Honestly, despite being primarily a PC gamer, I never liked that whole master race crap. Every platform has it's pros and cons. I'm just trying to help you see this from a developer's point of view instead of a player's view (not saying I'm a developer or anything, but I do have an interest in game development so I try to pay attention to these kinda things).

So please, just be patient. I don't think the console version has been abandoned. If it's been like 3 months after ANR was finished and there was no work on the console port, then I think you'd have every rightt o be getting angry. But for now let's just calm down, wait, and see what happens.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, LordChicken said:

Succulents are kinda useless

I think something like an Aloe Vera healing item crafted with these would be cool. The recipe could require, like 3 Succulents and some Stone, maybe? (To mush up the succulents and reveal its wonderfully sticky healing juices.) And it could restore 30 or so health, because the succulents are only available in Summer.

I dunno, just an idea.

• Like 8

Yeah, which I did not realise at first 'cos the Dragonfly greeted me RIGHT at the "door" of the other desert, so I couldn't get in far enough to see any cacti, before I took that picture and made my comment. : P  Also, there was a hound mound...RIGHT NEXT TO A TOUCHSTONE in that desert.  (Well, not _touching_ it.  Only a few tiles away.)

Wow!  Ever had the feeling that sometimes, worldgen is not only weird, but is actively trying to give you the middle finger? (laugh)  Wish I had taken a picture of it, but oh well...

However, then I deleted that world and started over--because I realised too late I'd forgotten to tweak the world settings the way I like, whoops--and found the most amazing thing:

Spoiler

rocklandwhoah.png

A huge, gigantic, enourmous, GLORIOUS rockland with absolutely nothing.  dangerous.  in it.  No spiders.  No tallbirds of any kind.  NOTHING.  Just some vultures, and they don't bug you unless you bug them.  (And no, I didn't turn down spiders or tallbirds in my worldgen settings.)  Lots and lots of rocks, gold, nitre and ice that you can mine in (almost) total peace.  Oh, AND there are beefalo near-but-not-TOO-near spawn.

...I think even Charlie thought the last world was a bit much, and is trying to make it up to me!  : P  Only I haven't seen the new Dragonfly desert yet...

ANYway.  I'm...neutral on this new update, so far.  I think it's awesome that something new _happens_ during summer, although kind of a shame it happens only in one place.  The succulents and a new-ish biome are both cool ideas...but would be better if we could _do_ more with them.  And I like that (one) desert finally seems more properly...deserty, as in the sand is SAND and not just the colour of the ground texture beneath you.  Last but not least, the goggles may do nothing, but they're ADORABLE.

But (a) why no tumbleweeds?  :( and (b)...why is the Antlion's DEFAULT state to be upset all the time, and you have to constantly give them presents to calm them down?!  : P  Are they just mad you wandered into their territory or depressed right now for some other reason, such as a bad breakup with the Dragonfly (You know how it is:  you get half the desert in the divorce, they get the other half, you can now only visit the lavae on the weekends...)

Seriously, lion-babe: _chill_. Whatever it is, it's gonna be all right!

...Notorious

• Like 2

Well...that's a little different...they're warriors and are trained to fight everything THAT EVEN LOOKS AT KING FUNNY.  The Antlion, on the other hand, appears to just be really emotional all the time..

Either that, or it's like, "Ooh, yeah, watch out, I'm really 'upset'...better give me more stuff!  Just in case!" : P

(And I think Dragonfly (formerly) + Antlion might be my new headcanon. XD)

...Notorious

• Like 1

I was thinking more a lying con-artist, but that works too.  : P

Also if the Don't Starve mainland is an ISLAND, that's one hell of a huge island.  Sub-continent at least.  Like Australia...which is full of deadly areas, weather and wildlife...huh.  (Traditionally I call the vanilla/RoG/Together area "The Mainland" to distinguish it from "The Islands" in Shipwrecked, but that's just me.)

(Dragonfly + Antlion...reminds me of this one time, I did this "Hunger Games Online" thing where you can put in your own characters, and it makes up all kinds of gruesome deaths, alliances, betrayals, and sad doomed Holding Hands in the Moonlight romances for them--at random?  And I put in the Don't Starve characters, including giants?  And we ended up with Dragonfly having a mad, whirlwind affair with Tiger-Shark.  SCANDAL!  Heck, maybe that's why the divorce... (laugh))

...Notorious

Edited by CaptainChaotica
  • Like 2

On 03/02/2017 at 11:12 AM, Lumina said:

At least it's still better than before. The thing teleporting the party around it (if i understand it well) seems pretty great, for example, so it's a reason to "brave" the desert and search for the antlion.

True, however that's for one Summer only. Again, Dragonfly being moved to Summer only and giving more loot in terms of gems in particular would be all the better for incentivising Summer as a challenge long-term. Some other incentives would still be quite necessary imho, because then you can just prep in caves for the most part and then go into the battle once ready. Some good incentives need to be here...

And while they're at it, it would be a great time for them to improve Ice Cube and Fashion Melon right about now. I just wanna wear an Ice Cube on my head that doesn't make things worse than they already are, likr in the good ol' days of RoG beta, okay?!

18 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Yeah. Once the I saw the oasis I thought it would be a pretty neat place to setup a camp. But the more I learn about everything the less practical it looks. The only unique resources it has are trinkets and cacti. But you get the same thing and more out of living in the dragonfly desert.

Oh, and the antlion desert also has foliage 2.0. But again, that's not really much to encourage living there.

Just 30? Might as well make honey poultices then. How about 50.

18 hours ago, ansuman said:

I think the point of the New Reign DLC is mostly aesthetic change and not gameplay.I don't think the developers intend to change the existing play style of people which has been established from few years of development.

That's why any new mobs that are added like Toadstool, Klaus or Bee Queen are always raiding bosses so that survival is in no way affected

And they have added a lot of contents like statues, marbles, roses, stagehand, pets, fences, fossil, scarecrow etc. which improve the aesthetic beauty.

That is bad. Aiming for aesthetics and just content for the sake of content and no real core gameplay value, what's even then the point? It's a survival game at core, or was intended to be, so balancing and mechanically implementing content to fit this narrative is essential. Screw the goddamn optionalist mindset, because that's exactly what kills the whole survival idea.

If anyone thinks that the new and old bosses that are stationary at no point should roam around because it will be too hard for newbies, even though it could put professionals on the edge, I'll have a thread addressing this issue in a bit. It'll talk a bit about how unfair it is for someone new to join a harsh season and have nothing on them, a thing that even professionals struggle to get through.

• Like 2

Hey I bring news from the sound files again ...

Spoiler

Apart from the fumigator_chomp and snoor that was added before . There are now stalker_VO and stalker_footsteps (thou im not sure if they are new at 100 %) ... stalker hmmm it's that the skeleton from the fossils ? Well I suppose soon enough it will be more than decore . Or maybe the alive version of it .

As for the update itself is really great it makes summer better thou I hoped the sand storm to be more ... global ... and begin like the rain from time to time a sand storm to hit the world for a short period of time and when you feed the antlion the chanse of a storm to go lower (and keep the sink holes like the ultimate punishment) . I hope they add more to summer it need more items that help you to survive the other seasons .

Edited by 1v0
  • Like 1